Is there usually this much of a price increase each year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your definition of amenities?

Since you brought up the subject by disagreeing with me, then what amenities are you referencing. Other than getting what I paid for on the cruise -- room and food and shampoos -- and a repeat cruiser gift (which to me is not an amenity or incentive to pay those prices) ;)

It seems to me you just want to spar about the subject. My points have been made -- moving on......

I disagree with your comment that DCL offers no amenities with their cruises. If that is true, why are their ships nearly full?
Their ships are full because its Disney. And my opinion is that is the only difference between them and other cruise lines. Why do people go to the Magic Kingdom vs going to six flags? Because of the Disney theme/characters/Disney shows etc. None of that can be replicated on other cruise lines. Yes other cruise lines offer activities/shows and sometimes more than Disney but the fact is people are paying the higher prices because it is Disney. I agree that they are going to price people out but what scares me is that even pricing people out there is still plenty of people out there that will pay those prices to cruise Disney so I am afraid that prices will never level off but keep rising because they can. They won't have as many repeat customers but they don't need that. They could probably fill ships entirely with families taking that once in a lifetime trip.

If you are looking at couples there are a lot that are cruising for the destination where another line can be more easily substituted, but for most families that cruise Disney I would bet they aren't cruising for the destinations but for the fact that is is Disney.

Since you brought up the subject by disagreeing with me, then what amenities are you referencing. Other than getting what I paid for on the cruise -- room and food and shampoos -- and a repeat cruiser gift (which to me is not an amenity or incentive to pay those prices) ;)

It seems to me you just want to spar about the subject. My points have been made -- moving on......
Good luck getting your shampoo every day-- even if you ask. On our last DCL cruise last May we had one bar of soap that we moved from sink to sink (split bath) and into the shower. Hardly luxurious. Lol!!

Well, there goes one "amenity" :rotfl2: Yikes -- you can tell I haven't cruised with them since 2014.

On our last Disney cruise we had to ask our room steward for a top sheet for the bed. All that was on it was the bottom sheet and the comforter. We also mentioned to him that there was no shampoo in the room when we arrived on board- only conditioner and lotion. He looked at us with a completely blank expression and said, "Do you want some then?".

Amenities, they are a shrinkin'!!!!!! :rotfl2:

Kind of an aside, but I think they may be shooting for families in the over 250k range if you want to take 3 similarly priced week long vacations a year with 3 kids, save for retirement, pay your mortgage, taxes (ugh, topic of the day), and nevermind everything else!!8-)

That was why we moved along, we liked to take 3 vacas a year and DCL no longer fits that plan. Not as upset as I was about it when it initially happened.

That was why we moved along, we liked to take 3 vacas a year and DCL no longer fits that plan. Not as upset as I was about it when it initially happened.

We have three cruises booked next year in verandah rooms -- the total of all three being less than ONE 7-night Disney cruise in a verandah!

Many of the most vehement defenders of DCL's ridiculous price structure on these threads are probably travel agents or connected to travel agents in some way. Not only is it in their interest for people to keep booking at whatever rate DCL throws at people, but they also get interline rates themselves (let's just say almost free cruising) and are relatively immune to price increases.

I think that's the case with some of the FB groups.

Kind of an aside, but I think they may be shooting for families in the over 250k range if you want to take 3 similarly priced week long vacations a year with 3 kids, save for retirement, pay your mortgage, taxes (ugh, topic of the day), and nevermind everything else!!8-)

Why would you take three vacations a year? Who has that much vacation time? Every other year for cruising is great for my family.

Why would you take three vacations a year? Who has that much vacation time? Every other year for cruising is great for my family.

Before DH retired he had 5 weeks vacation a year. And now that he is retired he has 52 weeks a year, I just need to get to retirement with him lol :)

There was a time when we only did around one a year, but as we earned more vacation, we started traveling more and more. It is just what we spend our "extra" money on. We are not young and have 4 weeks of vacation plus holidays. A lot of people we know have a lot more vacation time than we do. People in education, some government jobs, and a few corporate (but those tend to max out at 6 weeks). We are not car people so we have older cars that were not very expensive to begin with. Next year we are doing 4 vacations: one cruise @6 nights, two cruises @7night and 1 land trip to DL. The three cruises combined are costing us less than one 7 night on the fantasy in the summer. Next year will be an inexpensive year for us. Lol. And we do off site for DL, sometimes pack pb and j for lunch, very affordable. I think the most expensive part of all the trips is the DL park tickets.
:P

Good luck getting your shampoo every day-- even if you ask. On our last DCL cruise last May we had one bar of soap that we moved from sink to sink (split bath) and into the shower. Hardly luxurious. Lol!!
I've had no problem getting as much shampoo & soap as we have needed. Could be you got a lazy stateroom host, as opposed to a corporate-wide effort to save a few dollars. :confused3

So much angst for something that isn't a decision being forced on anyone. If anyone feels Disney is too expensive that's ok. Don't go. No big deal. We did the same thing in a way - the week we planned to go was way more than we wanted to pay so we switched weeks. IF we get priced out we will be disappointed but will make different plans to do something different.

To those who aren't getting soaps or sheets, that's not a new standard, that's a bad stateroom host.

Edit. These threads get me heated up. I need to back away. :-)

Thank you! :thumbsup2 Let's all take a lesson from darnheather and take a deep breath and walk away if things are too upsetting.

These posts can get emotions running high as everyone has their own opinion and their justification as to what they can/will spend their hard earned money on. Let's keep in mind this can vary greatly between people and what works for 1 cruiser does not work for another. That doesn't make anyone wrong or anyone right, you have to do what works for you and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. No need to question or doubt how others are feeling.

Keep it friendly gang! :grouphug:

I get 6 weeks a year. Lots of people that have ibeen in their jobs a while get that. What about teachers they have enough vacation time for three vacations.

So much angst for something that isn't a decision being forced on anyone. If anyone feels Disney is too expensive that's ok. Don't go. No big deal. We did the same thing in a way - the week we planned to go was way more than we wanted to pay so we switched weeks. IF we get priced out we will be disappointed but will make different plans to do something different.

To those who aren't getting soaps or sheets, that's not a new standard, that's a bad stateroom host.
It's a new standard they don't give it unless you ask. This started a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter