Is there usually this much of a price increase each year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people are paying the current prices, then they are justified. :teeth:

Oh, how much do think they should lower them?

Of course people are paying the prices. The die-hard Disney fans will continue to do so until they are priced out. They are fast-track to price themselves out of the cruise market, and as someone who looked at vacation through rose colored Mickey glasses for years (and would have for the foreseeable future had the prices not been upped so steeply this go-round), I wholeheartedly believe that it WILL happen.

I'm not going to argue that there isn't a demand - there will always be those who are willing to pay whatever charge Disney throws at them because they can't say no. What I will say is that it will come to a head eventually because consumers will get tired of the steep prices with less amenities, or they simply will not be able to afford to vacation through DCL. Disney is an experience, but it's not the only experience.

(To answer your question, I could see a $500 to $1,000 difference between DCL and their competitors. What I cannot see is a difference that is double.)

Of course people are paying the prices. The die-hard Disney fans will continue to do so until they are priced out. They are fast-track to price themselves out of the cruise market, and as someone who looked at vacation through rose colored Mickey glasses for years (and would have for the foreseeable future had the prices not been upped so steeply this go-round), I wholeheartedly believe that it WILL happen.

I'm not going to argue that there isn't a demand - there will always be those who are willing to pay whatever charge Disney throws at them because they can't say no. What I will say is that it will come to a head eventually because consumers will get tired of the steep prices with less amenities, or they simply will not be able to afford to vacation through DCL. Disney is an experience, but it's not the only experience.

(To answer your question, I could see a $500 to $1,000 difference between DCL and their competitors. What I cannot see is a difference that is double.)
Every time DCL comes out with new cruises, people moan and belly ache about the "unjustified" price increases. Someone today even argued it as akin to "class warfare".

If you can't afford the DCL cruise, or you think the value isn't there, don't book it. Or take a chance that prices will fall and then book it. There are plenty of other ways to vacation.

DCL is a for-profit business, not a charity.

Every time DCL comes out with new cruises, people moan and belly ache about the "unjustified" price increases. Someone today even argued it as akin to "class warfare".

If you can't afford the DCL cruise, or you think the value isn't there, don't book it. Or take a chance that prices will fall and then book it. There are plenty of other ways to vacation.

Yes many will continue to pay, but their pricing is to the extreme. Even classier cruise lines like Celebrity don't charge what Disney does for most itineraries. And no, we don't book -- like others, we have jumped ship to better pricing. :D

First of all, I'd like for you to show me where you saw on any thread that someone suggested and/or demanded a free Disney cruise, since that's what charity implies.

Second, of course Disney is a business - and they have made that sentiment quite clear with the way they have progressed over the years by taking away amenities yet continually raising prices. I appreciate your suggestion to vacation other ways, though I find that pretty obvious as the intent of those who refuse to pay and don't believe there to be value any longer.

Last edited:
What does any of this debate have to do with the OP's question about usual increase?

There are other threads to take this debate to.

First of all, I'd like for you to show me where you saw on any thread that someone suggested and/or demanded a free Disney cruise, since that's what charity implies.

Second, of course Disney is a business - and they have made that sentiment quite clear with the way they have progressed over the years by taking away amenities yet continually raising prices. I appreciate your suggestion to vacation other ways, though I find that pretty obvious as the intent of those who refuse to pay and don't believe there to be value any longer will be doing just that.

Many of the most vehement defenders of DCL's ridiculous price structure on these threads are probably travel agents or connected to travel agents in some way. Not only is it in their interest for people to keep booking at whatever rate DCL throws at people, but they also get interline rates themselves (let's just say almost free cruising) and are relatively immune to price increases.

I didn't say that it was class warfare, but if you raise prices you will price people out, and that can be your intention which is acceptable. Using the car analogy from the other thread Porsche prices their cars at a point that not everyone can afford and that business model works for them. What I said is DCL may be going down the same path. So I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth.

My point is that even if they raise prices more, the demand will still be there to fill the ships, they just need to decide what the price they want to set is, so I don't fully buy the supply and demand argument.

I suggest you reread my post, I never said that they should be a charity lol. Heck if they can do it, they should charge more, because I think they could and get away with it, and that would make the stock holders happy. I will be curious long term if this pricing works out for them, or if their competitors step up their game. Sorry to keep this off track, but wanted to defend my post.

From the other thread:
Thought about this while I was waking up this morning. I am getting tired of the argument that this is just a supply and demand issue, because to be honest they could raise their prices more and still fill the ships. What DCL is really doing is determine economic status of the people that they have on board (couldn't think of a better word). Back when we first started sailing them the cruises were available to people from many economic classes with the concierge suites topping it off. What they have started to do now is push people in the lower middle class to other lines by raising their prices. This is a move, not sure it is a good one.

What Disney needs to decide is what is their target market, a family that pulls in 100 to 150K a year or families that make 50 to 150k a year. It does appear now that they are starting to make a move to target the wealthier cruisers. At this point they really don't need to grow their brand anymore, it is pretty well ingrained in our thoughts and lives.

Last edited:
I didn't say that it was class warfare, but if you raise prices you will price people out, and that can be your intention which is acceptable. Using the car analogy from the other thread Porsche prices their cars at a point that not everyone can afford and that business model works for them. What I said is DCL may be going down the same path. So I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth.

My point is that even if they raise prices more, the demand will still be there to fill the ships, they just need to decide what the price they want to set is, so I don't fully buy the supply and demand argument.

I suggest you reread my post, I never said that they should be a charity lol. Heck if they can do it, they should charge more, because I think they could and get away with it, and that would make the stock holders happy. I will be curious long term if this pricing works out for them, or if their competitors step up their game. Sorry to keep this off track, but wanted to defend my post.

From the other thread:
Thought about this while I was waking up this morning. I am getting tired of the argument that this is just a supply and demand issue, because to be honest they could raise their prices more and still fill the ships. What DCL is really doing is determine economic status of the people that they have on board (couldn't think of a better word). Back when we first started sailing them the cruises were available to people from many economic classes with the concierge suites topping it off. What they have started to do now is push people in the lower middle class to other lines by raising their prices. This is a move, not sure it is a good one.

What Disney needs to decide is what is their target market, a family that pulls in 100 to 150K a year or families that make 50 to 150k a year. It does appear now that they are starting to make a move to target the wealthier cruisers. At this point they really don't need to grow their brand anymore, it is pretty well ingrained in our thoughts and lives.

Very well put. And I agree with the highlighted numbers above -- they are slowly pricing out young families with kids who are in the lower salary ranges that just can't justify spending $6,000+ on one cruise and then include airfare on top of that with zero incentives or amenities. At the prices Disney is heading for, they should be able to pay their crew more!

I think the thing I'm having a hard time to grasp is that they are charging "luxury" prices for what is not necessarily a "luxury product". I've been researching/comparing concierge/suite pricing on other lines. DCL seems to be lacking compared to others in what they provide concierge clients compared to other lines.

For example...DCL Fantasy March 9 2019 7 night Eastern Caribbean...for 2 adults/1 child in Category V concierge the total is $16,486 US or in Canadian dollars $21,125.

NCL Getaway March 10 2019 7 night Western Caribbean for same people in the Haven forward penthouse with balcony is $12,094 Canadian (NCL shows pricing in CDN dollars) And that includes free specialty dining/unlimited drinks/shore excursion credits/wi-fi credits. And a couple different ports from DCL (Honduras and Belize).

I think the thing I'm having a hard time to grasp is that they are charging "luxury" prices for what is not necessarily a "luxury product". I've been researching/comparing concierge/suite pricing on other lines. DCL seems to be lacking compared to others in what they provide concierge clients compared to other lines.

For example...DCL Fantasy March 9 2019 7 night Eastern Caribbean...for 2 adults/1 child in Category V concierge the total is $16,486 US or in Canadian dollars $21,125.

NCL Getaway March 10 2019 7 night Western Caribbean for same people in the Haven forward penthouse with balcony is $12,094 Canadian (NCL shows pricing in CDN dollars) And that includes free specialty dining/unlimited drinks/shore excursion credits/wi-fi credits. And a couple different ports from DCL (Honduras and Belize).
Because they can. If NCL thought they could sell those suites for $21,125 Canadian, they would.

MUN

BTW, that's an adorable photo of your daughter with Daisy Duck.

Because they can. If NCL thought they could sell those suites for $21,125 Canadian, they would.

MUN

BTW, that's an adorable photo of your daughter with Daisy Duck.

LOL thank you that was many moons ago!

My point is that DCL concierge is REALLY expensive and you don't get a lot for that money compared to the amenities of NCL Haven.

Very well put. And I agree with the highlighted numbers above -- they are slowly pricing out young families with kids who are in the lower salary ranges that just can't justify spending $6,000+ on one cruise and then include airfare on top of that with zero incentives or amenities. At the prices Disney is heading for, they should be able to pay their crew more!
They want us to pay their salaries by tipping more.

Many of the most vehement defenders of DCL's ridiculous price structure on these threads are probably travel agents or connected to travel agents in some way. Not only is it in their interest for people to keep booking at whatever rate DCL throws at people, but they also get interline rates themselves (let's just say almost free cruising) and are relatively immune to price increases.
They do offer a lot of specialty discounts. I wouldn't say free, but it is greatly reduced. Vacations to go usually lists all the discounted rates for all the cruise lines. I think they offer more military rates then anything else.

I disagree with your comment that DCL offers no amenities with their cruises. If that is true, why are their ships nearly full?

I disagree with your comment that DCL offers no amenities with their cruises. If that is true, why are their ships nearly full?

I have never been offered amenities on my past 10 cruises. Nothing -- unless you are talking for concierge -- which I have never sailed in.

And their ships are not always full -- hence their last minute sail "deals" for guaranty rooms (the only time Disney offers a deal is to fill their ships at the end).

I think the point has been made that many loyal Disney cruisers will sail no matter what and don't need incentives or amenities or deals. Then there are those of us who don't think it is worth the money anymore. Not only concierge but I think their balcony rooms can be outrageously priced compared to other cruises I have done.

From the other thread:

Kind of an aside, but I think they may be shooting for families in the over 250k range if you want to take 3 similarly priced week long vacations a year with 3 kids, save for retirement, pay your mortgage, taxes (ugh, topic of the day), and nevermind everything else!!8-)

I have never been offered amenities on my past 10 cruises. Nothing -- unless you are talking for concierge -- which I have never sailed in.

And their ships are not always full -- hence their last minute sail "deals" for guaranty rooms (the only time Disney offers a deal is to fill their ships at the end).

I think the point has been made that many loyal Disney cruisers will sail no matter what and don't need incentives or amenities or deals. Then there are those of us who don't think it is worth the money anymore. Not only concierge but I think their balcony rooms can be outrageously priced compared to other cruises I have done.
What's your definition of amenities?

Their ships are full because they offer heavily discounted rates to certain sectors of the population, cast members and interline rates to everyone in the travel industry in any way. I have been on cruises where it seemed like everyone around me was a cast member or related to one. Their military rates and resident rates are nothing amazing, but they fill the ships with those too. It is kind of like private colleges, where they dupe a minority into paying full, when most people on campus get their price heavily reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter