Is this totally crazy?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We are going on our yearly extended family Myrtle Beach trip in April. We drive there from upstate NY. We were going to tack on a 2-3 day mini-vacation the week before we go, to Williamsburg, Charleston, etc. I was considering surprising everyone and planning a trip a quick trip to Disney. I was hoping for a 2 night stay some place close to MK. My only concern is DH doesn’t love surprises, and the logistics of getting there. Do we drive to Myrtle or close and then fly to Florida, or drive straight to Disney? As it is, we hate driving just to Myrtle, which is a 16+ hour drive for us from northern NY. Is this completely crazy? Has anyone ever done something like this and how did it work out? We are already planning to go back to Disney next Jan. 2019 anyway so not sure if DH will be thrilled to spend money of a couple days in April when it may be too chaotic and busy for us to truly enjoy it.

It sounds chaotic, rushed, expensive and stressful to me, especially since you all hate the drive to Myrtle.
But I'd totally to do it anyways! :rolleyes:

If you're going to do it, you might as well just bite the bullet and drive all the way. I'd try to make it a 3 or even 4 night stay at Disney rather than a 2 night stay though if possible.

Myrtle to WDW is another 510 miles of driving, which is 8 hours behind the wheel plus stops. That kind of driving tacked onto an otherwise already long trip just for two days at Disney may not be worth it. The road weariness from the extra driving, barely getting settled and rushing two days at Disney, followed by a long haul back to NY? There's a good argument to be made for saving your money to make your 2019 trip a better affair.

Have done the drive to Myrtle Beach and WDW many times from NJ, but never at the same time. I can't see any way I would do that and I don't mind driving. No matter how you slice it you will spend so much time in the car you will be spent for a day or two afterward. Great idea for a surprise, but just too ambitious.

I would pick either Williamsburg or Charleston. Personally with kids I would choose Williamsburg. There's enough to do in either place for a 2-3 day visit. I would not drive to wdw. You would use up a bit of that time just getting there and back and the additional driving would be exhausting.

If DH doesn't like surprises, why would you try to surprise him? Why not talk it through with him and try to surprise the kids if he's on board with it?

I would not do it and I love WDW.
You already stated you were going to surprise DH and he doesn't like surprises. That is one big surprise that I bet wouldn't go over too well.
I would save for your January trip.

I love Disney as much as anyone else here, but that does seem like a lot of driving for the payoff. Williamsburg would probably be more bang for your driving especially since April is the nicest time of the year down there as well.

We've driven to Myrtle Beach a few times (from Chicago) and stopped at Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg on the way. If you did that, you could hit Dollywood. I'm not sure if that would be on the way for you coming from upstate New York, though. It is on the way for us coming from Chicago. Regardless, it would probably be a lot closer than Disney if that area appeals to you. It's very beautiful with the mountains.

If DH doesn't like surprises, why would you try to surprise him? Why not talk it through with him and try to surprise the kids if he's on board with it?
This. People who don't like surprises tend to get stressed by them. I second the idea that you discuss it with him first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter