• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Issue with wearing masks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a store yesterday morning and the man in front of me literally raised his mask, turned and sneezed multiple times (which happened to land on the coffee products). Then he lowered his face mask again and went back to shopping.
This is precisely why we bleach and wash everything that comes into our house. People are disgusting and you are correct in that many people don't get why they are wearing masks. At my husbands work they refer to it as Covid glitter - it gets everywhere, even where you don't expect it to be and it is tough to clean it up. So anything you come in contact with - assume you are getting covid on you. It takes some brain washing to get just how dirty and contaminated everything can be. I never knew how much i touched my face at work until this virus came along. My hygiene habits have definitely changed.

Even my parents don't get it. My husband and I both work with Covid positive patients and we visited my parents for mothers day - DH, I and the kids all wearing our masks and we stayed our distance outside - my lovely father invited us to go in the house. Some people just don't get it.

Think about selling your contract. Virus experts have been warning about this sort of thing for a long time, and they've been warning that this will become a regular 21st century occurrence. It already has - Marburg, Ebola, SARS, MERS.....we've seen a ton of new viruses in the past 50 years - fortunately for those of us in the U.S., the impact of these has been very small. But it was only a matter of time before something hit that transmitted easily and was deadly. And its only a matter of time before more of these hit.

There are a number of reasons for this - globalization and air travel - which allows a virus to get from a remote community into the world. Humanity moving into new habitats, where viruses exist that haven't had the opportunity to jump to humans. Global warming, which is thawing out viruses in the tundra. And that is without getting into the conspiracy side of things where governments make viruses in labs and send them out (they don't need to - smallpox and anthrax are sitting there waiting for them to weaponize - well, we've already weaponized anthrax - we did that in WWII.)

But humanity will adapt to this, as it adapts to everything else.

As to Disney, one of the things so many people love about Disney is how well it takes care of its customers - all of its customers. Have celiac - no problem. Wheelchair - you'll be able to do most things. Kid who isn't neurotypical - here are some adaptations....... For someone going to Disney recovering from cancer, or taking a grandparent on a trip, or who is obese or has high blood pressure - you wearing a mask can be the difference between life and death - because for me....Covid is a low risk thing - I'm still fairly young (in my 50s), my weight is normal, I'm not diabetic, and my heart is good....for at least the next few years, I'm more likely to die in a car crash. But I know plenty of people who aren't in my shoes. And yeah, some of them will just avoid public places for the next few years....but some of them won't. And I watched my brother in law die the same way Covid kills - it was horrifying. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - and am more than willing to wear a mask to keep that from happening to someone else.
I think you misunderstand. The choice to forego Disney trips and sell DVC due to a mask requirement is not due to an insensitivity toward fellow human beings. It would be a result of the seriously negative impact it would have on the experience for us.

We wear masks when we venture out of our home because it’s required here. The actual effectiveness of those masks is a debate that I don’t care to enter into. Too many people will “mask shame” those who question the usefulness, much like they shame people who want to open up their states or counties. We need to buy groceries and they require a mask to enter the store. We don’t need to visit Disney.

If Disney wants to put in a rule about wearing masks, and the DVC owners doesn’t want to deal with masks, then why should they hang onto their contracts?

Let’s assume for just two minutes that masks are the “new normal” (God! I hate that phrase!) How many people will still say no, not me, never? I know of a lot that just won’t go. In fact, I’ve even pondered paring down the number of points that we have because there’s no way that my husband is going to enjoy a vacation in the Florida heat if he has to cover his nose and mouth the entire time. Disney just won’t be a happening thing for him, and by extension it won’t happen for me, either. So why hold onto DVC?

I’m not going to sell just yet. But if masks become a permanent requirement, I will.
My underlying assumption is that the mask mandate won't be a long term thing. I expect that it will last a year at most. That's a pretty short term reason for selling a DVC contract. If someone doesn't want to wear a mask, they should just bank their points for the year and go back when masks aren't mandated. To each their own, but it seems to be an emotional overreaction to the situation.

My underlying assumption is that the mask mandate won't be a long term thing. I expect that it will last a year at most. That's a pretty short term reason for selling a DVC contract. If someone doesn't want to wear a mask, they should just bank their points for the year and go back when masks aren't mandated. To each their own, but it seems to be an emotional overreaction to the situation.
Like I said. Let’s assume that mask-wearing is the “new normal”. IF that becomes the case...note the emphasis on IF...then the contracts go. If this is a temporary measure...and I am certainly willing to wait to see if it will be...then there is no need to sell.

Why do the pro mask folks feel the need to say "stay home?" That's pretty much what the anti mask folks are saying..."sure, we plan to stay away until a better experience is available". I don't understand the snooty "stay home" retort.

I think the issue is more that many of the anti mask folks aren't staying home. They're going out and being confrontational about their lack of mask in private spaces requesting their use.

If the anti mask crowd did just stay home, that'd be fine? But a lot simply aren't doing that. And if they're not doing it at Costco, I can't imagine how much worse it gets at Disney.

I have to take exception to this comment about how selfish some in US are because we walked the wrong way in a store aisle.?.?.?

A week ago DH & I went to the local Walmart to get birthday cards, had to go there because the governor in our state has us pretty much completely locked down. While we were there I was going up and down the aisles looking for elastic so I could make more masks. My husband pointed out to me that I was going the wrong way, I asked him what he was talking about. He pointed to the small sign on the floor with a directional arrow. I totally didn't see the floor sign, for some reason the mask seems to mess with my vision, not sure why but it does. Once I was made aware of my error I corrected my direction now going in correct direction. Sorry Walmart and other shoppers for my error.

I have to say this was the one and only time I had been to Walmart since this whole thing started. The only other store I go to is the grocery store and the store I go to doesn't have one way signs at each aisle. So to assume that these directional arrows isn't something new is an incorrect assumption on your part. Here in NJ it is new and just because a person may have made a mistake by going in the wrong direction does not make them selfish.
There is a difference between making an error during the period of adapting to new norms, and rejecting those norms. One is a mistake - there isn't anything selfish about an unintentional mistake - an accident. The other IS selfish.

Correct the person I responded to was acting like I was overreacting about the entrance (not the aisles). My original comment was about the entrance to Walmart which in our area is VERY well marked. There is steel dividers with arrows and signs all over the place. Also when you see everything blocked off with steel dividers and then jumping over them or go below a rope it is different than just missing the arrows on the ground. (by the way all signs are in both English and Spanish as well)

The person acting like its no big deal that someone knowingly just shrugged off the rules is what I am talking about.

When I see someone in Walmart going the wrong way down aisles I typically just politely let them know as a heads up that Walmart just recently put in arrows at the end of the aisles. When needing to go to the store yesterday it was crazy in comparison to the last 2-3 months based on the influx in tourists (go weekly to shop for my family and my parents).

I will also say you wearing a mask alone shows that you are trying your best (which is all that anyone can ask) where as I am talking about people purposely disobeying the rules and purposely not wearing masks (and not the little old grandma that has no clue how to get information on creating a makeshift mask). Just to add in my area one of my friends who is still going to a factory job had to stop at a hardware store and saw someone trying to argue with the entry attendant who was trying to enforce a mask requirement (which is a state rule there where as I am just across the board in another state which does not have a mask requirement state-wide) and the store had masks even that you could purchase if you didn't have one.

I'm a nurse in TX, wearing a mask does't bother me at all , but even here with the temp in the mid 80s now, it gets unbearably hot when I'm outdoors wearing a mask. I don't think that I could tolerate wearing one in the steamy Orlando weather. The other problem for us at least , is that , we were there staying at Riviera when they announced closing the parks. Luckily ,we were coming back home the day that they closed, but I can tell you, that looking over our shoulders, trying to keep some distance from other people, was not enjoyable at all. We still went to the parks but not as often and only for a couple of hours and hardly got on any rides. We were supposed to got back in September but changed our reservations to March.

The problem with this is the touching of the masks and face repeatedly for the on-off-on stuff.

That's a good point, but I wonder if it's a measure they may take to balance the safety precautions of COVID, as well as the extreme heat, which will be exacerbated by wearing masks. That said, the concern over COVID will be the utmost priority, as it should be.

I think part of the problem in my state is that the governor has only allowed the bigger box stores to remain open which is causing them to be more crowded then normal. I would have much rather gone to my local Hallmark store for my cards but they aren't allowed to be open. I don't see how this is fair and I don't see how it is better or safer for me to go to the larger store versus the small one that is far less crowded.

I'm hoping the day comes real soon when we can all have our states open back up. I know that we will all have to be aware of our surroundings and take the necessary precautions to keep ourselves safe. I think that as mature, rational adults we have the ability to do that. Keeping my fingers crossed that the governor of my state gets my letter and takes it to heart. 🤞

I for one don't plan to sell my points at this time. I think this will pass and we will be able to enjoy WDW again without wearing masks. I may have to wear a mask on my next vacation to WDW but lucky for me we go in Jan/Feb when it isn't so hot. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tolerate a mask in the extreme heat and humidity.

I think you misunderstand. The choice to forego Disney trips and sell DVC due to a mask requirement is not due to an insensitivity toward fellow human beings. It would be a result of the seriously negative impact it would have on the experience for us.

We wear masks when we venture out of our home because it’s required here. The actual effectiveness of those masks is a debate that I don’t care to enter into. Too many people will “mask shame” those who question the usefulness, much like they shame people who want to open up their states or counties. We need to buy groceries and they require a mask to enter the store. We don’t need to visit Disney.

No, I get it. for some people wearing a mask would be over the edge....and they should sell their contract. Because this won't be the last time many of us face a pandemic in our lifetimes. If a mask at Disney is too much (and it is quite possible that mask technology will be leaping forward and the hot humid homemade face coverings will be replaced by something easier to wear), it isn't worth owning. Not because you are selfish, but because it isn't worth it for you.

We go to Disney a lot less than we used to because it isn't worth it for us. That happened before masks - for us, its a matter of value and the amount of time we have. At some point, people tip over....for some people it will be masks, for others it will be this being what makes them realize that Disney was always a huge petri dish where they couldn't control exposure to measles or allergens as well as they wanted to believe they could. Others will have just tipped because of expense, or time, or age.....and there will be new Disney guests to fill in......

There is a difference between making an error during the period of adapting to new norms, and rejecting those norms. One is a mistake - there isn't anything selfish about an unintentional mistake - an accident. The other IS selfish. And from time to time, you might decide that there isn't anyone near the end of the aisle right now, and what you want is on this end, and you can dart in and get it......and no big deal - you aren't getting close to anyone. But if the store is crowded and the store is trying to keep traffic moving in such a way so as to limit the risk of infection, yeah, not following the signs on purpose is selfish. Your prioritizing your ability to quickly get to the Cheerios over someone else's health. And since a lot of people are making decisions on where to shop based off of the stores adapting - i.e. I know people who only shop at places where there are one way aisles and masks are required because they are in compromised health and high risk - your purposeful actions are undermining their choice.

What went through my mind when I read this line is I could walk backwards if its so close to the end. Who besides me would know the difference. After all I'm only going one way..... Just kidding but it would be awfully tempting.... :thumbsup2 :scared1:;)

Here the Walmart entrances are cut to one. It makes zero sense to funnel everyone, in & out, through the same door.
But that’s beside the point.
Some municipalities have recommended limits on the number of people in a store depending on the size of the store. Perhaps they have someone keeping a running count of the number of people in the store.

Our walmart limits the number of people in the store. but they use both doors, with an employee keeping count at each door, connected by wifi on a tablet. That said, I doubt they"ve ever reached their customer limit. People don't shop as often as they used to, they try to buy everything in one trip.

Last edited:
Our walmart limits the number of people in the store. but they use both doors, with an employee keeping count at each door, connected by wifi on a tablet. That said, I doubt hey"ve ever reached their customer limit. People don't shop as often as they used to, they try to buy everything in one trip.
One of my local BIG grocery stores uses one entrance, but has entry and exit clearly marked.

In addition to not having medical proof that having COVID19 gives you immunity going forward, how would Disney or any other business be able to grant exemptions to certain people? They can't ask for proof of your health status and I could see this as a new variation of the abuse of the disability access GAC system. People who didn't want to wear masks would only have to say they were immune. That is not something that we want at this stage of the pandemic.
This is where apps could help a lot, once it is known that having had COVID confers immunity. If you had a positive test, then a negative test, it could be uploaded into the app and you could have mask-free areas for the immune. Times of day? Possibilities abound.
Our walmart limits the number of people in the store. but they use both doors, with an employee keeping count at each door, connected by wifi on a tablet. That said, I doubt they"ve ever reached their customer limit. People don't shop as often as they used to, they try to buy everything in one trip.
Both the Costcos by my home and work are constantly at max capacity. The regular grocery stores like Safeway, Raleys, etc, don't seem to hit capacity very often. They go by a 20 people exit, another 20 can enter model, and you can tell if they are full because there's an extremely long socially distanced line stretching around the building waiting to get in at the Costcos, I only see a line waiting on odd occasions when I drive past grocery stores on my way to work.

We won't be selling our DVC. However, we also don't plan to visit WDW anytime this year. Not because of wearing masks but:
1. We are Canadian, and we don't know when non-essential travel to the US will be open again.
2. If the borders open and we can travel to the US for vacation, but still need to self isolate for 14 days when returning home, we would not be able to take that much time off to do that.

This is where apps could help a lot, once it is known that having had COVID confers immunity. If you had a positive test, then a negative test, it could be uploaded into the app and you could have mask-free areas for the immune. Times of day? Possibilities abound.

Disney - and any other corporation - isn't going to touch that with a ten foot pole without major changes to health privacy legislation - changes I think would be frightening, because I don't need my employer to be able to find out if I'm diabetic or depressed or am HIV positive or have tested positive for the breast cancer gene. They don't want your health information, they don't want to be sued for discriminating against you due to your health information, they don't want to be sued because your health information went public. This will be an "everyone wears masks" until we reach a point where herd immunity (if such a thing becomes possible with this virus) takes effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter