It's all about Rides and Rocks (the trip that nearly wasn't) TR starts page 6

I'm with PIO, now I've seen your TR, I need to go back and take more notice of the detail!

All caught up and are loving your posts. I'm feeling so envious though and really really wish I could go back to Universal.

I'm curious - size wise, how does the new HP area compare to the old one. Going from your pics, it looks like there is a lot to see and the new area is quite large?

Hi Wanderlust, happy boxing day! You too, PIO. Its actually smaller I suspect than Hogsmeade, just one st with cross roads with longer arm extending up to Carkitt Market and short Horizont Alley and dark Knockturn Alley but they have packed a lot in with a lot more real shops you can go in with lots of detail inside as well as stuff for sale. I also liked things for sale matched the shop in most cases, stationary in Scribbulus for ex. There is also the open area Waterfront facing the rest of Universal. But walking through Hogsmeade that area felt physically bigger.

I managed to spoil Xmas Day with a mega-migraine. I could tell it was coming on Xmas Eve but determined went out to Lion King anyway. Thus too sick to see the parents Xmas Day. I felt bad but their other 2 grandchildren visited for some time so they did have some company and my DH and DD popped in en route to his Mum (who was also alone apart from his brother popping in Xmas Day) to give them a nice Xmas lunch I had made. Relieved I feel a lot better today as they can last 4 days but I didn't appreciate fully all the great Xmas pressies yesterday morn!

In part the migraine was triggered by dramas Tuesday I think. I already had a headache brewing from racing around the shops in the heat without eating and drinking Monday. We had an emergency trip to the vet with the dog tues. He has renal failure and it was leave him overnight for a diuresis treatment or he could die that day or over Xmas. Given it was DDs birthday (and originally "her" dog) we couldn't do that so rather upsetting still. DH is still muttering about the $1000 it cost!! DD has said if he's that heartless she'll pay but it's just his crankiness as he thinks they've overcharged some items and he's upset about Pep too. He is home with us, seems happy -as blind and deaf of course (he's 16.5 so had a good innings) so we wait. He mit have days or a few weeks til he deteriorates to the extent it's obvious quality of life is gone and we take him in for the walk to the Rainbow Bridge. For now he's happy to be home for a cuddle on the couch or a walk and a sniff somewhere interesting. Sorry sad for Xmas. At the other end of life's spectrum how is your darling kitty PIO? Not trashed the Xmas tree yet? Presume you don't mind me mentioning her here?

In part the migraine was triggered by dramas Tuesday I think. I already had a headache brewing from racing around the shops in the heat without eating and drinking Monday. We had an emergency trip to the vet with the dog tues. He has renal failure and it was leave him overnight for a diuresis treatment or he could die that day or over Xmas. Given it was DDs birthday (and originally "her" dog) we couldn't do that so rather upsetting still. DH is still muttering about the $1000 it cost!! DD has said if he's that heartless she'll pay but it's just his crankiness as he thinks they've overcharged some items and he's upset about Pep too. He is home with us, seems happy -as blind and deaf of course (he's 16.5 so had a good innings) so we wait. He mit have days or a few weeks til he deteriorates to the extent it's obvious quality of life is gone and we take him in for the walk to the Rainbow Bridge. For now he's happy to be home for a cuddle on the couch or a walk and a sniff somewhere interesting. Sorry sad for Xmas. At the other end of life's spectrum how is your darling kitty PIO? Not trashed the Xmas tree yet? Presume you don't mind me mentioning her here?

:hug:

It's always hard when it comes to furbabies. Doubly hard when it's Christmas. So sorry.

My darling kitty is going well! She's doubled in size since we got her. I've closed off the part of the house where the Xmas tree is and it's still standing. :thumbsup2

Part 6: Tales of Beedle the Bard: The Fountain of Fair Fortune (abridged version)

High on a hill in an enchanted garden, enclosed by tall walls and protected by strong magic, flowed the Fountain of Fair Fortune. Once a year on the longest day between the hours of sunrise and sunset an unfortunate could fight their way to the fountain, bathe in the waters and receive fair fortune for ever.

Three witches gathered in the garden to try their luck. Asha was sick of a malady no healer could cure. She hoped to be cured and live a long happy life. Altheda had been robbed of her home, gold and wand by an evil sorcerer, she hoped the Fountain would relieve her of poverty and powerlessness. Amata had been deserted by a man she loved dearly and thought her heart would never mend. She hoped to be relieved of grief and longing.

Pitying each other, the three agreed to help each other and try to reach the fountain together. As the crowd surged forward they helped each other through the creepers that tried to stop them as they sought for a chink in the wall to the garden. In so doing a dismal looking knight, Sir Luckless, got caught up with Amata and got dragged along as they escaped the garden and the walls closed behind to other contenders. At first the other witches were cross with Amata as it would be hard enough to choose who of them should enter and bathe without another contender but at the knight declaring his intent to withdraw as he felt he could never compete against witches with their powers, he was persuaded to draw his sword and join them.

Around the base of the hill on which stood the fountain was a monstrous white worm. At their approach it said “Pay me the proof of your pain”. After fighting it proved useless, and the sun rose higher and higher Asha despaired but her tears assuaged the worm who slithered into the ground.

Half way up the steep slope these words were cut into the ground “Pay me the fruits of your labour”. As much as they tried they made no progress til they were saved by Altheda’s determination and the sweat from her brow fell to the ground.

At the third obstacle, a stream, a boulder bore the words “Pay me the treasure of your past”. The knight nearly drowned attempting to float across but they saved him and Amata realised the way across was by giving up her happy memories of the time with her lover.

As they reached the fountain, the frailest of them, Asha collapsed near death. Altheda saved her with herbs and water from Sir Luckless’ gourd and restored she said she no longer needed to bathe and Altheda should. Altheda said she could be rich from curing disease with her herb skills so she did not need to bathe, let Amata bathe. Amata said she had given away her sad memories and so they bade Sir Luckless bathe.

Giddy with his unexpected luck he did so and flung his rusty armour at the feet of Amata, the most kindest and most beautiful woman he had ever known, and begged for her hand and heart. She realised she had found a man worthy of her and said yes.

So they all set off down the hill arm in arm together, never realising the Fountain carried no enchantment what so ever.

Leaving Diagon Alley for this day.

Part 7: Hogwarts Express

Through Kings Cross Station

Posters from the movie

Looks like Kings Cross to me but quieter

Through the magic wall to Platform 9 3/4 (not working our first visit through but was the next time)

Where the Hogwarts express steam train awaits. Hello Hedwig

The carriages, genuine old fashioned English carriages note, fit 8.

Opaque glass to the corridor lets you experience shadows and sounds like the refreshment trolley, escaped chocolate frogs and Dementors while the window shows the journey to Hogwarts (and to London on the way back). No pictures so as not to spoil any surprises. It’s a lot of fun and though Kings Cross to London is the better ride I think both ways are great! You would be crazy not to do a park-park ticket at least for one day to experience it.

Arriving at Hogsmeade

Our carriage awaits

Part 8: Hogsmeade and that amazing castle

This was our first visit to Universal and thus Hogsmeade. The castle was super impressive. This day we walked up to the gates of the castle and were able to do the tour-only walk through.

But first entering the village

The main street. A selfie

More photos

At the castle entry

Entrance to Dumbeldore’s Study

The portrait room – we lingered here for a long while to listen to the convo which sets the scene for the ride though the ride queue doesn’t go through here.

Dumbeldore’s study

In the potions room, Harry, Hermione and Ron appear.

Stained glass

Fat Lady portrait

While we were touring the ride broke down so by the time we reached here CMs were encouraging people to leave and we got caught up in the exodus and were not let any further so did not get a picture of the ride room with its dangling candles. Here is one from the internet:

I needed to Kwell before riding Forbidden Journey and with its current breakdown anyway, this day we then walked through the Dragon Challenge queue for pics (riding a coaster like that is not for us chickens!). I wanted to ride the Flight of the Hippogriff but it had a long wait time posted and silly me, forgot Express pass did work for this one and decided to come back when it was quieter . drr….

In Dragon Challenge queue-flags for the Triwizard cup

Hagrid’s Hut

Ron’s Car (an original from the movie)

A selfie

Nice view of the castle from here:

Part 9 Hogsmeade exploration

It was now getting very, very hot and we were getting tired. We visited Hogsmeade again Tuesday and Wednesday but to keep pics together, here are all the pics we took from Hogsmeade over the course of the three days other than my FJ ride.

One of the favourite magic wand stops (everyone thinks the cauldron will pour water on them):

Honeydukes:

Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans have expanded since the ones we tried in London - the pack I bought home for DD has snot, vomit, earth, worms and other revolting flavours included that really do taste disgusting. I am sure the London ones had less "out there" flavours!

More window displays

Madame Puddifoots Tea Shop Façade – a wave of a wand makes the snowman on the cake dance

Ceridwen's Cauldrons

Dogweed and Deathcap. Bit too glary here. A wave of a wand makes flowers dance and mandrakes grow.

Some determined fans trying to enact a spell-unsuccessfully though they tried hard.

Window displays in Tomes and Scrolls

Ollivander’s window

Owl Post

Book baiting!

More castle pics from the bridge to Jurassic park

Part 10 Riding the flight of the Hippogriff with Buckbeak

The Frog Choir

The Three Broomsticks

And inside (DH liked all the intricate timber work)

From the outside deck – the fish are well fed!

The Hogs Head

The castle from outside the Hogs Head

Fruit salad refreshment

The Market Cross and inside with its owls.

A snowman

Twilight descends and the park empties as its about to close (on Tuesday I think this was).

Puffing back to Kings Cross Station (if that's your choice)

Part 11 Good night Monday

On our actual first day at Universal, when we exited Hogsmeade we decided to finally get our Photopass (I had a voucher) and have the photos already taken attached and do some rides at Islands of Adventure as we exited. These included Spiderman, Cat in the Hat and Trolley in the Sky. We chatted with the Magic Fountain and should have gone into Poseidon’s Fury as it turned out it was closed Tues and Wed but we didn’t realise this, and as at this time it had about a 40 min wait time til the next show, decided to watch it another time – ah well.

We spent the most time at IOA on Tuesday, however, so I am grouping all the IOA pics (apart from Hogsmeade of course) on Tuesday’s day.

Monday it was by now about 4pm and exhausted, we exited the park and headed back to our room for a rest. I had planned a swim but snoozing in the air con and it was just too much effort to get changed and go down!!

Some pics taken on the walk back; Cabana Bay walkway is open.

We decided to eat in the hotel again tonight. After perusing the options we ended up in Jake’s Bar and had a wonderful meal. I do love the eatery choices here. I wasn’t very hungry so had two entrees served together, a salad and calamari (since the combo wasn’t an option on the menu). DH had fish and chips. Wait staff were very friendly, the food was delicious and the general ambiance lovely.

My meal

DH's meal

I couldn’t resist the chocolate and raspberry shot for desert!

It was so good I had eaten it all without even remembering to give DH a taste as I usually do …oops. He texted this pic to our DD saying your mother just inhaled this desert without giving me a chance!

Tomorrow more fun at IOA

I'm loving your trip report and it's making me even more excited for our trip in november/december

Thanks everyone for their comments. Working from home today but taking an extra hour out to post next excerpt of TR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter