It's quiet here

MarkBarbieri

Semi-retired
I was active here about 10-12 years ago. It was a busy forum. Lot's of discussions about gear, techniques, and all sorts of photography related stuff. What happened? Has Disboards declined? Interest in photography declined?

I saw that rtphokie's welcome post is still pinned, but it doesn't look like he's been on since 2016. I'm guessing that he's not still the moderator. I noticed that none of the links in the sticky thread work anymore because Disboards has redone it's URLs.

Any other old timers around? Oblio? Groucho? Gdad? Pea-and-me? UKCatFan? Handicap18? SuburbanMom? BobQuincy? Mickey88? WillCad?

I'm still posting regularly just not about gear and such; I switched from Canon to a Sony mirrorless and really like it. Mom2rtk posts occasionally but you're right about the nature of this forum dramatically changing. I remember asking about which lens to buy and what setting to use for a dark ride. Maybe you can spark some new interest with a topic or two?

Sadly, I think it's interest in photography that has seriously declined. Everybody has their phone and calls it good. The "other" board is about the same way.😞

Nice to "see" you, Kathy. It's been a long time. I'm glad you are happy with Sony. Before Canon came out with the R5, I was seriously considering making the switch to Sony. Even now, I'd recommend Sony to anyone starting fresh.

KVH, I think you're right. I think interest in traditional removable lens cameras, whether DSLR or mirrorless, is on the decline. The market seems to be segmenting. While their seem to be more pros than ever using them, more hobbyists seem to be relying on their cellphones instead. I can't blame them. During our last four major trips - Japan, Iceland, Italy, and a dory trip through the Grand Canyon, I only brought my primary camera on the Iceland trip. For Japan and Italy, I got by with just my cellphone and for the Grand Canyon, I used a combination of two GoPros and my cellphone.

But that only explains the lack of interest in gear discussions. Even with cellphones, there are a lot of interesting photography topics. Things like composition and lighting are just as important as ever. It is tempting to try to start some discussions or launch some tutorials that welcome cellphone shooters, but it doesn't feel like the traffic is there in this forum anymore even if you include the cellphone only crowd. I suspect that, when people were paying a lot of money for dedicated camera gear, they were willing to invest time and energy into learning how to use it. Now that they get a camera for free with their phone, they don't pay as much attention.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'll hang out here for another week or two and see how things look. It feels like this has become a place for people to post pictures on a few "game" threads, but that there isn't much interest in discussion.

But that only explains the lack of interest in gear discussions. Even with cellphones, there are a lot of interesting photography topics. Things like composition and lighting are just as important as ever. It is tempting to try to start some discussions or launch some tutorials that welcome cellphone shooters, but it doesn't feel like the traffic is there in this forum anymore even if you include the <SNIP>
Agreed. The sad thing is, not sure we'll ever go back to such fundamental thinking. I learned my way around a darkroom in the 70s and even nowadays, when I shoot something B&W, my mind immediately jumps to what developer I would have used and which paper to print on. Quite weird thoughts when you're shooting digital (and yes, that brings me down something fierce).

And now I'm off to go re-read Galen Rowell (and maybe some Ansel) since this topic makes me has a sad.

Still here Mark! ;) I post occasionally when I have something that may be of interest. Each trip to WDW I see fewer cameras, maybe a dozen or less this time. But go to The Alligator Farm (St. Augustine) in bird season and we will see more large/$$$ lenses than we thought were even made! ;)
Our neighborhood photo club had a good seminar/work session on how to get out of "Auto" with a phone, it was well attended and very helpful to some folks.
I still carry a micro 4:3, it is not that large/heavy and delivers when a phone just can't. And the OM-1 with 120 fps and pre-capture is great for wildlife photos.

Hey Bob! Great to see that you're still here. You were an old timer when I first joined.

That's good to know about WDW. I've only been once for a short visit since 2011, so I really don't have a sense for how things have changed at the parks. I have noticed that I've seen fewer "real" cameras or tripods when I've been traveling.

I'm still around, still subscribed to the forum. I miss the discussion here. I'm still shooting with my 6D and had it in the parks last week. Like Bob, I also noticed far fewer actual cameras.

I actually set up a tripod on the curb on Main Street to shoot fireworks and it was full on hand to hand combat to keep my space.

I'm still around, still subscribed to the forum. I miss the discussion here. I'm still shooting with my 6D and had it in the parks last week. Like Bob, I also noticed far fewer actual cameras.

I actually set up a tripod on the curb on Main Street to shoot fireworks and it was full on hand to hand combat to keep my space.
You're brave, I am nervous even being on Main Street for fireworks! ;)

You're brave, I am nervous even being on Main Street for fireworks! ;)
I hear yah. last trip we steered clear of all big ol' crowd shows. made for a very relaxing trip. lol but we were also in ride mode being not there since before covid.

I have to say we saw barely any SLR carriers. my wife even commented. she said I was the only "one stuck in the past" jokingly. lol

I ton of people commenting on my camera and lens. never had that before ever. prob because no one carries anymore much it seems. sad.

I will say I got lazy this trip at nights. we were out to nicer dinners each night and to tell the truth I didn't feel like carrying my bag so I was using halide on my 14pro max to see if I could actually pull off some nice raw shots on an iPhone.

I'm also one that transitioned to mirrorless (Canon) and now just shoot infrequently - birds and other wildlife with the interchangeable lens. Travel pics are mostly cellphone pics :)

I remember when you posted years ago when I first joined. I was always in awe of your pictures. I always felt like a rank amateur compared to some of the pictures posted on here. I still take tons of pics and am always happy when I get something good. My granddaughter now uses all of my older Sony equipment until she graduates college and can afford her own upgrades. That will be in a few years, but she puts me to shame. She truly is gifted and took photography in high school. One of the greatest complements she ever received was her photography teacher stating she was one of the best students he ever had and had a natural eye and a true gift for the craft. She is my photo buddy now.

Pea-n-me is still around, mostly on the community board. I chat with her quite a bit on there.

Good to see you back Mark!
I always enjoyed photos of your boys.

Would love to see the photography board come back to life again.
It was my go-to for photography discussions about a decade ago.
I was also wondering Where Did Everyone Go???

Maybe a new moderator would draw a new crowd and bring back the oldies?!

I guess you are not carrying loads of princess outfits anymore, how are we supposed to recognize you? ;) Carrying a real camera might be a giveaway, there are so few of us at WDW anymore.

Hah! Sadly our princess costume days are over. So happy to have made all those memories while we could. But yeah, I dragged a few through the parks back in the day!

But you're not wrong on the "real camera" identifier. I really didn't see many at all on our recent trip.

Me too! I would point out to DS any real camera I saw during our trip. They were far and few between; mostly older people like me :rotfl: I admit though that I used my Pixel 7 to take pictures at times too.

The forum could definitely use a moderator. If nothing else, the stickies need to either be taken down or update so that the links work for the updated Disboard URLs. Anyone want to volunteer to be a mod?

But I still doubt that it will be enough to make this a viable photography discussion forum. I feel like the traffic is too low. There seem to be enough people to make it a worthwhile forum for light photo sharing, but I don't think there is enough interest in discussing photography.

Maybe I'm wrong. If you think it could regain its mojo as a place to discuss photography, how would you get started? I think you'd want to start with threads that would draw a lot of participation. Probably best to focus on threads that everyone could participate in - any camera (including phones), subjects available to everyone (not just Disney), and designed around discussion and feedback.

Thoughts? I'll be happy to support and help anyone that wants to make a serious effort at it.

I am not sure when the last time I popped in was, but it has been a while. My 60D died on me, so I had to buy a new camera, I went with the 5d Mark IV. I haven't looked at cameras in a long time. And it looks like everything is going mirrorless, and I am old school. I am looking forward to shooting full frame.

Ok, wanted to chime in here. I don't come in here to the photography board very much, if at all, but I do love traditional photography. I use to lurk quite a bit several year ago but never posted because I was new at photography and didn't want to seem stupid. I have a Canon 80D with a Tamron 18-270 mm f3.5-6.3 as my everyday lens. I also have a Canon 50mm f/1.8. I now feel like I can contribute something to the conversation. I'm also heading down to Disney in June with the family and will be bringing my camera, so hoping to get some tips and tricks from everyone here on the board.

I haven't been to Disney World in years, but I'll share a photo I took of a dance recital. Equipment: Canon 80D, Canon 70-200 mm f2.8 USM

IMG_1752.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter