It's quiet here

Ok, wanted to chime in here. I don't come in here to the photography board very much, if at all, but I do love traditional photography. I use to lurk quite a bit several year ago but never posted because I was new at photography and didn't want to seem stupid. I have a Canon 80D with a Tamron 18-270 mm f3.5-6.3 as my everyday lens. I also have a Canon 50mm f/1.8. I now feel like I can contribute something to the conversation. I'm also heading down to Disney in June with the family and will be bringing my camera, so hoping to get some tips and tricks from everyone here on the board.

I haven't been to Disney World in years, but I'll share a photo I took of a dance recital. Equipment: Canon 80D, Canon 70-200 mm f2.8 USM

View attachment 742225

Glad to welcome you back and hopefully you'll share some photos of your beautiful Cape Cod!

Any progress on a new moderator for the photography board to get things up and running?

ce665c72-0385-4a80-b2b5-d9e2756cf09f_text.gif

What would you anticipate a moderator doing to increase participation Mark? I can't think of anything.

What would you anticipate a moderator doing to increase participation Mark? I can't think of anything.
I'm not sure. Here are a few ideas:

Clean up the sticky threads. They are full of broken links and probably outdated information.

Create or solicit the creation of some updated How-To threads centered around Disney Photography. Or maybe make them collaborative threads like "How do you shoot.......at Disney parks?"

Other photography forums encourage participation with assignments. Similar to PrincessInOz's "What I'm focused on" threads, but designed to be current. For example, a moderator could created (or solicit the creation) of monthly assignment threads. The themes are usually a little narrower and the intent is to encourage people to go out and take pictures specifically for the assignment. Some examples might include "flowers", "buildings", "selfies", or "water".

I also think that a moderator encouraging growth and traffic should accept the fact that cellphone photography has become the dominant form of photography. For that reason, I'd avoid topics that don't work well with cellphones like long exposure, panning shots, or stuff like that.

Another common thread topic that I don't see here are critique threads. I'm not sure how you'd get people to start doing them except by leading by example and quietly reaching out to others to get the ball rolling. These are typically in the form of "Here's my picture of x? What do you like most about it? What areas do you think could be most improved? How else would you shoot a similar shot?"

Oh, and don't forget the photo contests. Those you to be popular here. This week's (or month's until you get enough participation) contest is "Attractions opened since 2015", "Character photos", "Attractions that no longer exist", "Signs", "Resorts", "Disney meals", or whatever. It has been so long, I don't remember what topics were used.

But those are just my thoughts. I would imagine that a new moderator would ask the forum and see what current members are interested in seeing. That probably aligns well with what would attract newer members.

I think you'd do a great job, Kathy. :)

Mark sounds like a man with a well thought out plan!
Maybe co-moderators so it does not become a chore for one person?
I nominate Mark and Kathy!

Well, long time, no see to a lot of you here! :goodvibes It is nice really nice to see you again!

Thanks, Mark, for your interest in reviving this forum! Back in the day (2006 to 2010 or so) I loved it here so much, and really, it’s how my interest in photography really took off. I always appreciated how much photography fun we had here! (Photo contests, scavenger hunts, parks photography, etc.) And I learned a ton from all of you!

I took a LOA when a lot of the talk here turned to advancing technology. I was an Olympus user and although I got into mirrorless early on, it wasn’t as enjoyable for me as using a dSLR, which Olympus stopped making. I also started having computer issues then and downloading so many files got to be a chore. At the same time I became intrigued with iPhone camera technology so it became a personal challenge for me trying to get good photos with my phone, and I loved the ease of use compared to carrying a big bag of equipment around, lol. I also moved to just an iPad Pro instead of a laptop or desktop computer.

So it’s not to say I don’t still love photography, I do. It’s just changed a bit for me. I still love to take pictures and often shoot with my DD, who has also become a good photographer in her own right. On occasion I still pull out my E30 to shoot some sports, and my DS sometimes uses the mirrorless.

I think it’s a great idea to get this going again! 👍🏻

Sadly, I want to let you know that handicap18 passed away several years back from cancer. 😔 He was a nice man and great photographer.

Mark - I love your ideas! I have been thinking about some of the same topics and wondering what would bring more people to this forum.

Pooh 2 - Maybe co-moderators is the way to go; I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be responsible all alone!

Pea-n-Me - It's wonderful to see your name here! Like you, this forum was one that I felt most comfortable asking my questions about my first dSLR lenses to buy. Though I sometimes tried to follow and post on the more formal camera forums I never felt at home; too factual and fussy for me. And over the years I have gotten to know some regulars here quite well and even met up in person! And sorry to hear about handicap18; I remember his name.

Before we get into this idea any further does anyone know how someone becomes a moderator? I know years back a new moderator was simply announced by those who were already moderators without involvement of anyone else (AFAIK).

I was active here about 10-12 years ago. It was a busy forum. Lot's of discussions about gear, techniques, and all sorts of photography related stuff. What happened? Has Disboards declined? Interest in photography declined?

I saw that rtphokie's welcome post is still pinned, but it doesn't look like he's been on since 2016. I'm guessing that he's not still the moderator. I noticed that none of the links in the sticky thread work anymore because Disboards has redone it's URLs.

Any other old timers around? Oblio? Groucho? Gdad? Pea-and-me? UKCatFan? Handicap18? SuburbanMom? BobQuincy? Mickey88? WillCad?
I think everyone has discussed everything. Not sure what more needs to be said. Maybe if you know any songs that start with the letter G 🤷🏻‍♂️.
😂

I was active here about 10-12 years ago. It was a busy forum. Lot's of discussions about gear, techniques, and all sorts of photography related stuff. What happened? Has Disboards declined? Interest in photography declined?

I saw that rtphokie's welcome post is still pinned, but it doesn't look like he's been on since 2016. I'm guessing that he's not still the moderator. I noticed that none of the links in the sticky thread work anymore because Disboards has redone it's URLs.

Any other old timers around? Oblio? Groucho? Gdad? Pea-and-me? UKCatFan? Handicap18? SuburbanMom? BobQuincy? Mickey88? WillCad?
We're here. Been since about 2010 lol

Maybe 2023 is the year for some of the amazing pro-sumer Disboard photographers to come back.

I stopped checking in on the Dis as I didn't have any Disney trips planned. Still don't.
Then with Covid, it just seemed easier to retract even further.

Hope everyone is well.

There is always the option of running a Project 52 - weekly challenge. The issue is that this is a forum dedicated to WDW. People that wander in here are mostly looking for Disney things.
In order to work, there would need to be a core quorum of togs willing to go out and shoot the weekly topic and post. Its finding that cohort that would be interested to do so and would commit to coming in here. Any type of camera welcomed.

Last edited:
Mark sounds like a man with a well thought out plan!
Maybe co-moderators so it does not become a chore for one person?
I nominate Mark and Kathy!
I hate to disappoint you, but I don't want to do it. There are periods where I have a lot of spare time (that I should be using to work on my airplane), but there are also a lot of periods where I'm traveling. I'm lazy and really don't want the added responsibility. But if Kathy or anyone else wants to take it on, I'll be glad to help.

I'm not ready to take it on by myself although like Mark I would definitely be able to pitch in! DH has many health problems and will be scheduled for a knee replacement in a few weeks and I will have to start grocery shopping and cooking 😲, things I almost never do! He is a handful even when relatively healthy but this upcoming period will test all my patience and nursing skills.

Maybe Princess of Oz can take the helm. I love her contributions to this forum.

I'm not ready to take it on by myself although like Mark I would definitely be able to pitch in! DH has many health problems and will be scheduled for a knee replacement in a few weeks and I will have to start grocery shopping and cooking 😲, things I almost never do! He is a handful even when relatively healthy but this upcoming period will test all my patience and nursing skills.

Maybe Princess of Oz can take the helm. I love her contributions to this forum.

OMG! I'm just trying to keep my nose clean and stay (mostly) under the radar here. Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Thanks for the vote but this subforum needs a mod that is around during the prime US time; not the graveyard shift. ;)

I always appreciated how much photography fun we had here! (Photo contests, scavenger hunts, parks photography, etc.)
Oh, I remember the scavenger hunts! So much fun!

I've drifted on and off the photography board over the years, and I'm playing around on here right at the moment because a family member is sleeping and I need to be quiet. 🤫 :laughing:

I mostly just shoot with my iPhone nowadays, and don't know much about lenses and more advanced gear, but I'm taking a fun community photography class right now, and its making me look at pictures in new ways.

I didn't remember the scavenger hunts so I found this. It was started by PIO; sounds like a great thing to revive!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-im-focussed-on-scavenger-hunt-2015.3412082/
I used to be on this forum a lot and when things sort of changed to phone photography I stopped checking so often. I never posted much, but read everyday. One of my favorite things was the scavenger hunt because it got me out with my camera. I would love to see it revived.

Since this is a Disney forum, I find you mostly get people who joined to ask questions about parks/food/resorts and then perhaps stay around for some of the other things being discussed. If you are an avid photographer not necessarily related to Disney, I doubt you would have found this board. I belong to some other non-Disney forums and the majority of users participate due to their interest in specific topics for which those forums were created.

If you mostly want to talk about photography, you can probably find photography forum sites with participants who have that interest. Disney fans who are also avid photographers are probably only a small subset of those who participate here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter