Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

My AKL review. This was my first time staying in a Deluxe resort. I went for the animals. I had this picture in mind of me sipping coffee in the morning on the balcony watching all the animals. That didn't happen. The animals get fed in the back somewhere around 9am, depending on the savannah. Since they can't tell time, they go line up by the back fence at sunrise. Then they don't come back until the keeper has filled all the feeders and hay that are on the savannah. So unless you are in your room for a significant about of time between 11am and sunset, you won't see much of the animals. I did stay to "hunt" animals on my Halloween Party day, instead of heading to a park before it. So that day, and the day I arrived were the only days I could see the animals during daylight hours.
It is a very nice resort. The bed was comfy, once I got on it. The bed was very high, but while waiting for the bus to the airport, I was talking to a couple who said they didn't have a box spring so their bed was very uncomfortable because it's so soft, but it wasn't high. I was staying in what is technically a DVC room, although I am not a DVC member. It was a Deluxe Studio w/Savannah View. It had a little kitchen area with a full size coffee pot, big (for a hotel room) fridge, toaster, microwave, sink. I don't know if you get all that in the non-DVC rooms.
Would I go back? Probably not. I justified the huge price difference from a moderate because I wanted to see animals. I wasn't expecting to have to be in my room during prime park going hours to see them. FYI, I am not an early bird, I didn't make it out of the resort before 10am on any day. I would recommend it to anyone who normally stays at a Deluxe, and is comfortable with the price tag. Maybe if you are going in the summer when sunset is much later, and you have young kids you want to get to bed early, then you could see the animals before it gets dark.
That’s why I had no desire to pay the extra for the Savannah view. Hoping to get lucky with a partial view but won’t care either way. I can’t see sitting there for more than 15 minutes without getting antsy to either browse the resort or get to the parks.
Thanks for the review!

Hi everyone, firstly, thanks heaps for all the info and reviews posted in this thread to date! It was very helpful when we were initially deciding where to stay and then after booking too.

We stayed at AKL CL from Sunday, 15th - 29th and were in room 4427. Overall, we had a fantastic experience after always wanting to stay at AKL! Positive, neutral and negative thoughts -

Positives

- All CM's were brilliant, very friendly and greeted you all the time.

- For us, CL was worth the additional cost and provided a much needed afternoon break from the parks each day. We didn't make use of the concierge services (except to forward our touring plans room request before our arrival), but we enjoyed the food and drink options whenever we returned from the parks or for breakfast before heading out for the day.

- The design and theming throughout was exceptional and it was always breathtaking walking into the lobby each day!

- Room design and theming was great, and the room was comfortable and well-equipped, but for a shortie like me, the bed was a bit high! The safe had a key though, which was a bit old-school.

- The savannah view was beautiful and our room request was spot on! We saw lots of animals each day, especially around 5.00 pm, when the Ranger would be out with hay and vegetables.

- We ate at The Mara (peanut butter brownie OMG), Boma and Sanaa during our stay and all were great, especially Sanaa, which was only a 5-minute walk from Jambo to Kidani Village.

Neutral

- Room size, especially the bathroom, was on the small side, but we already knew this.

- Soundproofing from the room above us was quite poor.

- Transportation could be very hit and miss - sometimes the bus was right there and other times we waited 25-minutes for a bus at AKL or at the parks. The transportation ETA boards (new to us) at the AKL bus shelter were very helpful and were 99% accurate. A few times we opted to walk down to Jambo from Kidani Village, as Kidani was 9/10 the first drop-off stop, and it proved to be quicker to walk if a wheelchair/Electric Mobility Scooter was being loaded/unloaded.

- Distance from the parks was ok, and we enjoyed the close proximity to DAK because of Pandora and riding FOP at DAK closing. The furthest bus journey was to DS and MK, which would take 20-25-minutes.

Negatives

- Issues with Mousekeeping - coffee/tea/sugar, glasses and mugs in the room were not restocked upon request via a written note to the maid, although the tip hand been taken. Hand towel with red lipstick (neither of us wear lipstick!) on our towel rack after the room had been 'serviced', room became quite dusty during the whole stay. Room service/food trays left outside in the hallways for 24-hrs or more.

We did complain about the above issues during our stay, but these issues happened in the last four nights of our stay and unfortunately were not resolved, except for the informed CM apologising.

- - -

We would absolutely stay at AKL again, but we look forward to trying other on-site resorts before we do. Overall, a brilliant stay, just a shame about the issues with Mousekeeping. Photos attached below -

[url=https://flic.kr/p/213vGyy][url=https://flic.kr/p/Z1B6Do][url=https://flic.kr/p/G9Can6][url=https://flic.kr/p/Z1BVs9][url=https://flic.kr/p/CZeMjE][url=https://flic.kr/p/216jkE2][url=https://flic.kr/p/CZe4jh][url=https://flic.kr/p/211uaJ5][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]

We will have our own car. How far from the hotel is parking? How much does valet cost? Will we go by the bus station on the way to parking lot? My thought is I'd like to see how long we will need to wait for a bus before deciding to drive. I don't see myself having the patience to wait 20 minutes for a bus when I car available.

Haha yeah idk how else to describe the location! But it is super convenient and amazing!
Booked a standard 1-bedroom DVC villa, got room 5208 which is in the lobby, exactly what my dad wanted!
That's one of the villas along the lobby between Kudu & Ostrich trails I think. They're on Sunset savanna, I've always wondered how much you'd see from them set back as they are - sounds like a great standard view assignment :)
I suspect being on the 5th floor would reduce any noise from the lobby as it's so far below.

That's one of the villas along the lobby between Kudu & Ostrich trails I think. They're on Sunset savanna, I've always wondered how much you'd see from them set back as they are - sounds like a great standard view assignment :)
I suspect being on the 5th floor would reduce any noise from the lobby as it's so far below.

It doesn't seem like the animals are this way often (at least from an hour or so of sporadic observation) but there are some feeding stations close by! Haven't heard much noise from the lobby except the drum show thing in the middle of the afternoon

Can I get to go coffee cups with lids in the room or at any dining location? I can't remember from last year and I was wondering if we should bring some from home. I don't want to bring the mugs on the go. Thanks!

Can I get to go coffee cups with lids in the room or at any dining location? I can't remember from last year and I was wondering if we should bring some from home. I don't want to bring the mugs on the go. Thanks!
We brought some last year and it was the smartest thing we did!

Just back from our first AKL-Kidani stay. Had a 2BR villa with Savanna view. Requested a specific room number and got the floor below. Ended up being a perfect location for us. Right between the door for transportation and Timon elevator. Very quiet location. The villa was stunning and with the dedicated 2nd br, had an extra long balcony. We had 3 full park days so we encountered the same issue as @ameetee . Not very many animals on our part of the savanna early in the morning. We were out the door by 8 each day and only saw animals on our checkout morning when we hung out until 11. The best perk to me was the proximity to DAK as Pandora was a rope drop priority. My parents thoroughly enjoyed it, however, I am not sure I would be itching to book again. I'm glad I checked it off my list and enjoyed my stay. However, I do agree with most here that it is definitely a relaxing hotel and should be used for a relaxing vacation to truly appreciate all it has to offer. I learned a lot from this board prior to arrival and thank each of you for your help and advice along the way. Until next time, kwaheri!

Hi everyone, firstly, thanks heaps for all the info and reviews posted in this thread to date! It was very helpful when we were initially deciding where to stay and then after booking too.

We stayed at AKL CL from Sunday, 15th - 29th and were in room 4427. Overall, we had a fantastic experience after always wanting to stay at AKL!
We were there at the same time! Also CL, one thing that REALLY frustrated me and I haven't seen it mentioned is the total lack of electrical outlets. After a day at the park, and needing to recharge several devices, I found this really frustrating.
Also, the lack of storage -- really there is more storage on the cruise ship! I hate living out of luggage, but that is what we had to do.
Loved looking out the window and seeing all the animals -- all the time it seemed.
The offerings in the Club were nice, but I got tired of the breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter