JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one more question for y'all (well, one more for now, anyway ;) ). I want to order a special birthday cake for my daughter to have in our room. Does anyone have a number at AKL that I can use to arrange this? If anyone has had this done, can you tell me what you ordered or what was available? Thanks so much; this will be such a surprise for her!

Zebra Trail is our fav for AKL as it is close to the Arusha Savannah and to the pool area where Mara's is as well. We like the 2-3 floors as you don't get as blocked by trees or too low to survey the animals. Been there about 5-6 times now. Enjoy... it is our favorite resort after 23 visits.

AKL phone number 407-938-3000

ugadog99 said:
I have one more question for y'all (well, one more for now, anyway ;) ). I want to order a special birthday cake for my daughter to have in our room. Does anyone have a number at AKL that I can use to arrange this? If anyone has had this done, can you tell me what you ordered or what was available? Thanks so much; this will be such a surprise for her!

Hope everyone who is leaving soon has a great trip!

Wendypooh, Congrats on your extra days. Hope to see ya if February! Does anyone know when AKL will be on Great Hotels again? :confused3

teentoddlermom said:
Does anyone know where the Deluxe Pool View category rooms are located at the resort? When I called to pay for our trip, I got a CM who was crazy about AKL and really excited about our stay! He said to ask for 4th or 5th floor which he noted on the reservation for us. He said Arusha savannah is the best place to stay, but we have the Deluxe Pool View booked! So does anyone have any knowledge of where these rooms are located at the resort? Close to lobby? Only on higher floors? Any experiences? Thanks! :sunny:

...we had the savannah view, 5th floor, which was on Zebra Trail - it was a very nice view(if you go back a few pages, I posted a pic of my view)....

LaWaltz ~
Our meeting went well - we ARE going to WDW AND I added one day [at the beginning], although there were NO avilabilities at AKL. So we will check IN at Pop Century for the 12th and switch on the next day....

Yeh Kimmar! I am so happy to hear that your trip is still on & now you have an extra day! :cool1: Sounds like AKL is going to be busy, but you will have so much fun :thumbsup2 Hopefully if you keep trying a room will become available for your 1st night.

kimmar067 said:
Our meeting went well - we ARE going to WDW AND I added one day [at the beginning], although there were NO avilabilities at AKL. So we will check IN at Pop Century for the 12th and switch on the next day....

tinknme said:
Yeh Kimmar! I am so happy to hear that your trip is still on & now you have an extra day! :cool1: Sounds like AKL is going to be busy, but you will have so much fun :thumbsup2 Hopefully if you keep trying a room will become available for your 1st night.

...hey, :confused3 no 'biggie'....actually, POP is right down the road from AKL, and, since we are driving in, we probably won't get there till late afternoon anyhoo.....what I'm REALLY happy about is that now I don't have to cancel my ressies fro Le Cellier on Sunday!! :banana: :cool1:

we can't justify spending the extra on a savannah room (we're spending soooo much on our Intimate vow renewal, and also fortunate enough to have been to Africa a few times and seen amazing views) so is there any specific standard area/ room we should request? Thanks.
Dee paw: paw: paw:

I love PC too, we will be staying there on our Jan. trip :goodvibes I have not eaten at Le Cellier yet, someday ;)

kimmar067 said:
...hey, :confused3 no 'biggie'....actually, POP is right down the road from AKL, and, since we are driving in, we probably won't get there till late afternoon anyhoo.....what I'm REALLY happy about is that now I don't have to cancel my ressies fro Le Cellier on Sunday!! :banana: :cool1:

I booked standard as well & I will take whatever they give me! I will be so happy to just be there :Pinkbounc That didn't help you did it :teeth:

dee slack said:
we can't justify spending the extra on a savannah room (we're spending soooo much on our Intimate vow renewal, and also fortunate enough to have been to Africa a few times and seen amazing views) so is there any specific standard area/ room we should request? Thanks.
Dee paw: paw: paw:

tinknme said:
I booked standard as well & I will take whatever they give me! I will be so happy to just be there :Pinkbounc That didn't help you did it :teeth:

Nope!! :rotfl:
I guess I just want the best value for money, but really,the whole experience will be so wonderful as we usually watch the pennies and stay off-site. I'm excited already and yet sooo long to wait :cloud9:

Greetings all,

First and foremost, the website with all the pics and the day-to-day, blow-by-blow won't be ready for awhile. Since everyone here was so kind and helpful, however, I felt obligated to at least post something as soon as I could.

Synopsis: There were magical moments and not-so-magical moments, but not one ounce of regret. Some cast members are great, others remind you of the surly fast-food workers in the "real" world. And last but not least, Susan and I both agreed that (not just because of the animal viewing) the Animal Kingdom Lodge is THE place to stay on property at WDW.

Probably if it weren't for the impending arrival of the Moroccan Ambassador halfway through our stay, we would have gotten the room that Don had planned for us and things would have been virtually perfect at the lodge (I can overlook bad attitude as I am forced to do daily). Well, aside from the fact that they misplaced the flowers that were to be in the room when we arrived... but, more on the details when I put up the website.

Regardless, I now understand both the complaints and the compliments I had read about AKL in the months during my planning. Interestingly enough, both are somewhat justified, though after experiencing it firsthand, I must say that I lean toward putting more emphasis on the compliments.

I have two specific points of what I believe to be bad news, however. I was told by a somewhat reliable source as we were leaving that the AKL is going to be converted to a DVC resort. It is due to be "gutted" (their term, not mine) in the not-to-distant future and the 5th floor will be entirely converted to "suites". They are building another building nearby (I suppose for additional timeshare space), though the gesture my source used when saying this was rather vague and non-specific as to location. Secondly.... I am almost ashamed to admit it.... I didn't care much for the zebra domes. They're not bad, but I'm not a "mousse" kind of guy, sorry ladies. Susan liked them, though.

All in all, though, it was a truly wonderful trip. As I said, it had it's magical moments as well as the not-so-magical, but in general the cast members were great and I can't say enough good about Don, Jaunita and Sue in the IPO. Don wasn't supposed to be there during our stay as he had had a personal emergency but at the last minute canceled leaving (possibly because of the ambassador's impending arrival) and had the immense pleasure of meeting him in person. He had to sneak the ring over to V & A's, remember. I'll be sure to have a "Credits" page on the website since there were so many folks that worked behind (and in front of) the scenes to make this a wonderful trip for Susan and I will be forever grateful.

I'm afraid this is all I have time for at the moment as I need to start downloading the 250-some pictures from my camera so I can get started.

Thank you all again for your information and advice. Several things came in quit handy as you will see once the whole story is told...

Bob

Hi Bob! Look forward to reading your report & seeing some pictures.

AKLGoofy said:
Greetings all,

First and foremost, the website with all the pics and the day-to-day, blow-by-blow won't be ready for awhile. Since everyone here was so kind and helpful, however, I felt obligated to at least post something as soon as I could.

AKLGoofy said:
.... I am almost ashamed to admit it.... I didn't care much for the zebra domes. They're not bad, but I'm not a "mousse" kind of guy, sorry ladies. Susan liked them, though....
.....I guess Zebra Domes are the 'margueritas' of desserts, a 'chick-kinda' thing... :teeth: ! (that's perfectly ok - no need to apologize - moe for US to enjoy!)

AKLGoofy said:
....I'm afraid this is all I have time for at the moment as I need to start downloading the 250-some pictures from my camera so I can get started.....
...well, what-are-ya doin' HERE??!?!? Get to work, dude...... :teeth:

...a wonderful place to relax, compliments of jstbcuz....

7077cf2a.jpg

AKLGoofy said:
Greetings all,

I have two specific points of what I believe to be bad news, however. I was told by a somewhat reliable source as we were leaving that the AKL is going to be converted to a DVC resort. It is due to be "gutted" (their term, not mine) in the not-to-distant future and the 5th floor will be entirely converted to "suites". They are building another building nearby (I suppose for additional timeshare space), though the gesture my source used when saying this was rather vague and non-specific as to location....

All in all, though, it was a truly wonderful trip. ....

I'm afraid this is all I have time for at the moment as I need to start downloading the 250-some pictures from my camera so I can get started.

Thank you all again for your information and advice. Several things came in quit handy as you will see once the whole story is told...

Bob

Bob-so glad you had a great trip and I look forward to seeing your photos and hearing about your day to day experiences... :) :) :)

Secondly, ok please excuse me everyone if I start to get hysterical :bitelip: but when is the AKL going to be "gutted"-Bob did you get any dates..........

Normally I think I'd be calmer about this but DH has been teasing me this weekend about staying at the Wilderness Lodge instead of AKL...he loves the little boat to the MK, it is closer, etc. etc.... :guilty:

Now to put this in perspective... before laying my eyes on the AKL-Wilderness Lodge was my favorite Disney Resort-I still love it-I just fell hard for AKL :cloud9: when we went there to have dinner with them there and I told myself 3 years ago we'd stay there the next time we went back to WDW...I had to do a little convincing DH and DD both WL groupies...and I did by selling them on all the cool things that AKL offered...the restaurants and the activities...

but now I'm hearing the world "gutting" and I can't say I'm feeling too calm right about now (granted it could be the 3 cups of coffee I've had but still...)someone please tell me something so I don't start crying :sad:

SOS
:sad2:
Patricia

Looking for anyone who has had a view on the Sunset Savanna. We have stayed several years in a row but always by Arusha Rock, both trails. This year everyone feels they would like to try and stay closer to the Concierge lounge- so I'm trying to decide whether or not to request 6th floor.

AKLGoofy said:
...I have two specific points of what I believe to be bad news, however. I was told by a somewhat reliable source as we were leaving that the AKL is going to be converted to a DVC resort. It is due to be "gutted" (their term, not mine) in the not-to-distant future and the 5th floor will be entirely converted to "suites". They are building another building nearby (I suppose for additional timeshare space), though the gesture my source used when saying this was rather vague and non-specific as to location.
Bob

I am trying not to start freaking out :badpc: Please tell me this is some sort of April Fool's prank - in July :smooth: NO way anyone is messing with my precious AKL...

johnsonet said:
I am trying not to start freaking out :badpc: Please tell me this is some sort of April Fool's prank - in July :smooth: NO way anyone is messing with my precious AKL...

..... :confused3 .....I'll let ya know when we get there......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter