JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tinknme said:
Well they are my 2 children :rotfl: Thank you for the compliment on the photo :goodvibes

LOL, that made me laugh!!! Patricia is so sweet!!!

It is a great pic, but I knew where it was from....... :thumbsup2 We saw that while waiting for Chef Mickey's one night. Handsome boys!!!!

scoutsmom99 said:
:offtopic: hey all just a quick drive by posting before I head out the door to go strawberry picking with a friend. I will have to do a more detailed posting later. I wanted to share some news that we just found out we are getting a puppy. We are heading to Wisconsin next week to pick him up. He is 10 weeks old. Here is a pic of him:
blackmale2.jpg

OH, what a cute puppy!!!! A new playmate for scout!!! We have a little baby shih - tzu name Gumbo!!! Have fun with him!!!

ktink said:
Lisa, The puppy is adorable!

Well we are looking forward to our upcoming stay at AKL, we've actually decided to book a week in February instead of just a couple of days and we're booking a savannah view instead of standard. :yay: We are very excited!!

In the mean time we decided to cancell our trip in September at CBR and go to the beach instead. Let's just hope there are NO hurricanes. After all the resort drama and all it just wore us out and it just took the fun out of it. The kids actually asked to go to the beach and that was DH's original plan.

But DH and I are looking very forward to our first trip to AKL. Dumb question: is it warm enough to swim in early February?

Hey Karen.......... Actually this is good news!!! LOL (Only because we may see you there!!)

DH and I are talking about going back in Feb. too!!!!!!!!!! We usually always go in Jan./Feb. as we did this year ( going in Sept. too DH couldn't pass up the free dining!!! ;) ) We love going at that time of the year, it is so nice!!! AND as far as swimming goes, it depends, we have gone swimming in Feb. we did this year, at about 9:00 pm, we weren't the only one's either!!! So, it really just depends on the weather, but bring your suit, as the chances are very good you'll be able too!!! Where are you guys going to the beach??? Florida??? Have fun no matter what you do!!

wintergreen said:
Just wanted to share my excitement, as we leave today for a split stay between VWL and AKL. I've been lurking for quite a while, and have gotten lots of useful info on AKL from all of you guys! We stayed at AKL once before, but I'm now armed with lots more inside info, which I'm sure will make the trip for me, DH and 2 DDs MUCH more enjoyable! Thanks a bunch to the Wild Bunch!!!

Have a wonderful time!!!!

shyjade said:
What a cute puppy Scoutsmom! Where in WI will you be picking him up? I live half way between Milwaukee and Sheboygan.

I have a question: what are the pool hours at AKL? I've read "open 24 hours" and also "10am to 10pm". Anyone know which is correct?

Okay, make that 2 questions...anyone ever do the Cultural Safari? I've seen it mentioned several times but never found any details on what exactly it is...

From Allears;

What types of recreation are available?
AKL has a themed pool, a kids' wading pool, two outdoor spas ("hot tubs") and a fitness center. There is also a kid's playground.

The Uzima Springs pool is the largest on Disney property, over 11,000 square feet. It is also a "Zero-Depth Entry" pool, meaning there is an entrance without steps. I saw lots and lots of kids (young ones, too) enjoying the 67-foot long slide and kiddy wade pool area. There is no quiet pool at AKL.

The Uzima pool is open 24 hours, but the lifeguards go off duty at 10:00 PM and the slide also closes. The two spas close at midnight.

Hope this helps!!

kimmar067 said:
...you are so welcome...BTW, MY ticker does NOT have "2 months and countng..." on it..... :rolleyes1

...THAT'S what I git fer bein' a show-off...... :guilty: ......... :sad1:...... :sad:

NOW, my DH does NOT wanna go to WDW.....honestly, I think he's been in the :sunny: too long......:badpc: :furious: !!!!

LAWalz23 said:
Thank you to everyone who has said prayers or positive thoughts for my Mom. She is doing much better this week. Still in ICU but looking better every day...I found these boards after my sister died suddenly 6 years ago and it has helped me through my nephew's illness, father's heart surgery and now Mom's.....

...you KNOW that we are here for you! :grouphug:

Lisa ~

blackmale2.jpg

All I kin say is: AWWWWWWWWW!!!!

LAWalz23 said:
Can anyone tell me where to find those cool keychain mister fans? I would love to surprise my niece and nephew with them for our August trip. Thanks for any info!

I ordered those online at personalfans.com. Don't remember just how much they were but I think it was around $5.00 each. I'll report on their reliability when we return!

Bob

Edited for specifics: Found my email confirmation:
OT-1256-24 Trigger Mister 3 $5.99 $17.97

Kimmar I think you need to bonk your dh in the head :rolleyes1

kimmar067 said:
NOW, my DH does NOT wanna go to WDW.....honestly, I think he's been in the :sunny: too long......:badpc: :furious: !!!!

kimmar067 said:
...THAT'S what I git fer bein' a show-off...... :guilty: ......... :sad1:...... :sad:

WHAT?????????? Yep, bonk him one!!! LOL

Dont wanna go to WDW? Im sorry I dont understand. LOL. Dont wanna go to WDW isnt in my vocabulary, LOL.

kimmar067 said:

wendypooh said:
WHAT?????????? Yep, bonk him one!!! LOL

REALLY!! We are limited as to where we can vaca, since he has been diagnosed with Celiac, and WDW is one of the few vaca spots whose eateries specifically caters to special dietary needs, such as Celiac Sprue....... :guilty:

wendypooh said:
Hey Karen.......... Actually this is good news!!! LOL (Only because we may see you there!!)

DH and I are talking about going back in Feb. too!!!!!!!!!! We usually always go in Jan./Feb. as we did this year ( going in Sept. too DH couldn't pass up the free dining!!! ;) ) We love going at that time of the year, it is so nice!!! AND as far as swimming goes, it depends, we have gone swimming in Feb. we did this year, at about 9:00 pm, we weren't the only one's either!!! So, it really just depends on the weather, but bring your suit, as the chances are very good you'll be able too!!! Where are you guys going to the beach??? Florida??? Have fun no matter what you do!!

Wendy, That would be great if we ended up there at the same time. LOL DH and I are really excited. I don't know what the deal was this time but it just didn't come together as our Disney plans normally do. But it worked out because we are able to splurge a little more this way. I really hope the weather will be warm enough for us to take advantage of that pool. Truth is I know once I get DH there, I've got the odds working in my favor. Keep us informed on your September trip :thumbsup2

Oh, to answer your question about the beach. We are going to Panama City Beach, we've booked a beautiful 2 bedroom deluxe condo at Longbeach Resort. We rented directly from the owner and for the lovely price of $850 for a week. She has really gone all out on this condo from the 300+ thread count Egyptian cotton sheats to the granite counter tops. I know it's not Disney but it'll be a little more relaxing as we won't be doing anything but laying out and a few recreations but that's what we need for now. But come February, Girl, we will be ready for the World, WDW that is :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info, Bob!

Hope you go to WDW, Kimmar. It looks like we will be there at the same time, of course providing Mom is doing better.

Thanks for the info Janet! I love the pic of your boys! I thought it might be the Contemporary but was unsure.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba, (There comes a lion)

Sithi uhhmm ingonyama, (Oh yes it's a lion)

So starts the song, "Circle of Life" from the 1994 feature movie The Lion King, as penned by Sir Elton John and Mr. Tim Rice.

If there is a more fitting song title for a Disney movie, I would be hard pressed to think of it. For many of us, the circle of life takes us back to Disneyland Resort in California or Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, on more than one occasion. This time it would be my pleasure to experience first hand one of the newest resort creations in Orlando, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Opened in the spring of 2001, Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of ten deluxe resorts found at Walt Disney World. The African adventure starts from the moment you arrive. Turning into the driveway, tall, lush foliage masks the awaiting journey, as if challenging you to find the resort from the main entrance.

It's apparent upon reaching the entry gate to Animal Kingdom Lodge, that this is not your average family resort. A guard stops all vehicles attempting to enter, and only those whose names appear on the registry are allowed access. Expectations run high as we await our turn in line. Something unique is about to happen.

Walking under the large canopy covering four-lanes of incoming traffic, the sounds of Africa come alive with the vibrant staccato of birds and the strange conversations of their unknown Serengeti neighbors. Attendants dressed in safari attire quickly usher guests into the awaiting sanctuary and out of the hustle and bustle of cars and tour buses.

Once inside the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I am immediately struck by the immensity of the main lobby and it's seemingly limitless thatched roof. A gigantic mud fireplace and meandering stream dominates the interior landscape. Large, animated shields hang from the rafters.

Traffic flows through the center of the dark hardwood floor lobby, where comfy sofas and chairs rest on area rugs off to the side, creating numerous conversation settings throughout the main floor. African art is interspersed throughout the hotel, providing a kaleidoscope of color and imagery. Rising at the back of the lobby from floor to ceiling, a massive picture window looks out on the inner circle of the African landscape. A large interlocking brick patio and staircase entices guests to spend time in the great outdoors and breathe in the sights and sounds of the wild. At the bottom of the stairs, the elevated kopje, or rock outcropping, ascends from the Serengeti floor. This walk around area puts guests within 15 feet of the animals for an amazing view of the reserve.

Winding our way from the main lobby, down the seemingly endless hallway, we arrive at our rooms with bags in tow, exhausted from the anticipation of the daily events that await us in the days ahead.

"Where are the African pack elephants when you need them?" I think to myself. "There is enough luggage here to outfit a small army of adventure seeking tourists!" Of course, my comments fall on deaf ears, as our entourage of four teenage girls has no understanding of what it means to pack light.

Spacious and colorful, our rooms face one section of the Disney wildlife reserve. Balconies extend the full length of the room, overlooking the grasslands where giraffes, zebras, Thomson's gazelles and ostrich roam freely. At first glance, the wild grasslands seem to extend right up to the resort wall. But looking more closely, I notice security fencing maintains an appropriate distance between resort guests and the animal inhabitants.

Queen size beds fill the room, while an adjacent makeup counter and mirror separate the bathroom from the sleeping quarters. A large African motif entertainment unit, along with two large wooden chairs surrounding a rustic table, completes the décor.
The floor is carpeted in an earth toned, patterned material; the beds decorated in African colors of red, orange and black. Inside the bathroom, large ceramic tiles and subtle lighting give substance to the feeling of staying at a lodge.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge offers 1,293 guestrooms, of which 980 are first class, 294 deluxe, plus 17 one- and two-bedroom suites. It also makes available one Presidential suite and one Vice Presidential suite.

There are a total of four restaurants to choose from.

Jiko-The Cooking Place, is open only for dinner. Reservations are required, but be prepared to still come early. Meals are served buffet style, with a wide range of specialty foods, fruits and vegetables, along with more traditional menu items always being available.

Boma-Flavors of Africa, offers a self-service, family-style restaurant in a marketplace setting.

With so much to do at the resort and surrounding Walt Disney World, more often than not, we chose to eat at The Mara express restaurant. The menu selection was excellent and reasonably priced. Served in a cafeteria setting, it is close to the outdoor pool and offers easy access to the onsite daycare facilities for those parents with small children.

For a light snack, or to just relax with a gourmet coffee or tea, the fourth dining choice is Victoria Falls. It also offers an excellent selection of South African wines, international beers and cocktails in a mezzanine lounge.

Located at the center of the resort is Uzima, the large, outdoor pool and whirlpool. It also happens to have a 67 ft. waterslide and wading pool. Surrounded by lush vegetation and chaise lounges, it calls out for weary Walt Disney World guests to come and get refreshed from a long day spent at one of the many resort parks on the surrounding property.

A trip to a Disney resort wouldn't be complete without a trip to a Disney Park. With so much to choose from, we spent three days bouncing between the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios and of course Disney's Animal Kingdom Park. We also had the opportunity to explore Blizzard Beach, one of two water parks located on the Walt Disney World property.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge offers a true taste of the majesty that is Africa. It is a rare treat to have the opportunity of sitting on a balcony, enjoying the sun on my face as the sights and sounds of wildlife caress my mind. For a completely unique experience, unlike anything else at Walt Disney World Orlando, you owe it to yourself and your family to take the adventure.

If You Go:
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Walt Disney World Resort Florida
Front Desk: (407) 938-3000†
Reservations: (407) WDW-MAGIC (939-6244)

AKL_Playground.jpg

Looking_across_Savanah.jpg

Coming_up_on_AKL.jpg

Zebras_on_the_Savanah.jpg

8882211.IMG_0448prc.jpg

I have loved reading all the threads about the AKL. I am even more excited now that we are going to stay there during thanksgiving. We plan on having a pool view room. Thinking about upgrading, but I am not sure the extra cost is worth it. From what i have read most rooms are great no matter where they are located. Thanks for all the helpful information.

:cheer2: :rotfl: princess: princess: :yay: :lovestruc

73' off site
75' off site
78' CT
80' CT
98' CBR
04' WL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter