January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part V

Okay, so who wants to take over the January 2010 thread???

I am about 90% sure we are going to take advantage of the free dining PIN and go in mid November.

So who wants the responsibility? I have to leave it in good hands! Drakes, Soleil, Kim, Jenny? Anyone want to be the new Mama Snowbird? :yay:

Okay, so who wants to take over the January 2010 thread???

I am about 90% sure we are going to take advantage of the free dining PIN and go in mid November.

So who wants the responsibility? I have to leave it in good hands! Drakes, Soleil, Kim, Jenny? Anyone want to be the new Mama Snowbird? :yay:

Well, I don't think Mama Snowbird can ever be replaced but I'll help out and be your substitute if no one else wants to. Perhaps an "Auntie Snowbird" to watch the kids while Mama Snowbird is away.:rotfl:

I can't blame you for taking the free dining offer...we would too if DH had more vacation time to use.

LOL You're so funny! Ironically enough, my husband make some last night,so I've gorged myself. They don't taste as good because they aren't Mickey shaped :confused3

Whew good thing because the kids and I pigged out and they are gone already. :confused3 DH won't ever know they ever existed. :rolleyes1

Soleil- You'd make a wonderful Auntie Snowbird! :cutie:

Mama Snowbird let's me eat ice cream for dinner!

(Sorry I'm all hopped up on a rice crispy treat sugar high and just testing my boundaries with the new sitter! :angel: )

I'm sorry you're in pain! I have heard that some PT can be painful (more than the injury), but it is good in the long run. Let's hope that's true for you!:flower3::hug:

Thank you!!! It's going to hurt - I started limping in March and had surgery almost 4 months later. Can you imagine the muscle atrophy? The thing with the surgery is (and this might get long, sorry!!!):
-my surgeon determined that I am significantly bow-legged in the right leg only (the left is perfectly straight).
-this bowing is probably what caused the (already known) cartilage damage in my knee
-however, the MRI showed the return of the plica, which he'd removed (and cauterized so it wouldn't return - but did!) in 2005
-thus, the options were arthroscopic surgery to re-remove the plica and scar tissue and take a look at the cartilage 4 years later OR something called a high tibial osteotomy, which shifts the weight bearing to the outside of my knee (arthroscopic: a few days on crutches, the osteotomy: 3 months on crutches)
-obviously, we went for the arthroscopic surgery because it makes more sense to lose a few days rather than 3 months... and I will eventually need the osteotomy BUT you'd hate to do it and find out the real pain was from the plica

Thus, in about 6 weeks, we'll know if the surgery actually took care of the pain. It's kind of nerve-wracking!!

Soleil- You'd make a wonderful Auntie Snowbird! :cutie:

Mama Snowbird let's me eat ice cream for dinner!

(Sorry I'm all hopped up on a rice crispy treat sugar high and just testing my boundaries with the new sitter! :angel: )

WHAT? Mama Snowbird doesn't let ME have ice cream!!! :mickeybar

...but she lets me have popcorn! popcorn::

(My husband is currently playing Guitar Hero - he tried to get me to play but maaaaaaan I'm tired!)

Sarah...I am sorry you are in pain!!! YIKES!!! Hopefully after the PT you won't need the 2nd surgery.

I will go ahead and start the Christmas 09 thread!!! How exciting!!!! :santa:

So....should we all just jump over to the January 2010 snowbirds thread...even if we aren't going in Jan? I hate to lose all my friends:sad1: I really would!! whereever we move, keep me posted!! I don't want to get lost.

Shelly, that really is too good of a deal to pass up!! You probably told us already, but where are ya'll staying? Me and my kiddos were looking at the cabins at Fort Wilderness last week!! I would looove to stay there, but DH wants to be closer. They just look so peaceful, spacious and cozy.

Hellpppp!!! I did something wrong!!! I started the Christmas thread over on the family board.... but I was talking to Gracie when I did it and spelled Christmas....Christams in the title!!!!! Is there anyway to fix this? I am such a dork!!!!!!! If not, just jump on over there and say hi!!! Start listing your gifts/ideas. I am soooo embarrassed!!!!!:scared1:

Sarah...I am sorry you are in pain!!! YIKES!!! Hopefully after the PT you won't need the 2nd surgery.

So....should we all just jump over to the January 2010 snowbirds thread...even if we aren't going in Jan? I hate to lose all my friends:sad1: I really would!! whereever we move, keep me posted!! I don't want to get lost.

Shelly mentioned a regular old chat thread and I think I'd like that quite a bit!

And thanks re: my knee. I guess only time will tell. I assure you that this is NOT how I anticipated spending 2009! :)

Shelly - congrats on the house
Sarbah - I hope your PT helps a lot
Mindy - sorry about the bed rest...I know it must be rough what with just about every channel playing Michael Jackson specials non-stop at the moment

In other news... we FINALLY settled our plans for next week.
Apparently on Wednesday my Mom called my Dad from California (she went on a trip with one of her friends) and was trying to convince him that HE needed to call my sister's in-laws to finalize plans for staying at there house.
Well... my Dad had finally found out what the address was. He MapQuested it and found out that it's 40 minutes away from the World.

He didn't want to stay there if it was that far away, probably mostly because he knew that I wanted to/we needed to be able to take breaks in the middle of the day. Also, we had found out that for the first couple days of our trip we'd be sleeping on the floor, due to the fact that the majority of my BIL's family would be there until Saturday.

My Dad didn't want to sleep on the floor, so he told my Mom that he would rather stay in the hotel, and she didn't argue. (I was really really really worried that she was going to argue)

Soo... we're staying in the Doubletree Guest Suites.
Unfortunately this means we'll be taking the city bus from the airport :sad2: due to the fact that my parents don't want to get a rental car since the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd have regular bus service to the parks.
I am worried about how convenient these buses will be, but at least it will allow for some flexibility as far as transportation goes.

Good Afternoon Snowbirds!!

Just wanted to stop by and wish you all a very safe and Happy 4th of July!!! Whatever you're doing to celebrate I hope you have a lot of fun!

Shelly - congrats on the house
Sarbah - I hope your PT helps a lot
Mindy - sorry about the bed rest...I know it must be rough what with just about every channel playing Michael Jackson specials non-stop at the moment

In other news... we FINALLY settled our plans for next week.
Apparently on Wednesday my Mom called my Dad from California (she went on a trip with one of her friends) and was trying to convince him that HE needed to call my sister's in-laws to finalize plans for staying at there house.
Well... my Dad had finally found out what the address was. He MapQuested it and found out that it's 40 minutes away from the World.

He didn't want to stay there if it was that far away, probably mostly because he knew that I wanted to/we needed to be able to take breaks in the middle of the day. Also, we had found out that for the first couple days of our trip we'd be sleeping on the floor, due to the fact that the majority of my BIL's family would be there until Saturday.

My Dad didn't want to sleep on the floor, so he told my Mom that he would rather stay in the hotel, and she didn't argue. (I was really really really worried that she was going to argue)

Soo... we're staying in the Doubletree Guest Suites.
Unfortunately this means we'll be taking the city bus from the airport :sad2: due to the fact that my parents don't want to get a rental car since the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd have regular bus service to the parks.
I am worried about how convenient these buses will be, but at least it will allow for some flexibility as far as transportation goes.

I'm glad you at least settled where everyone is staying. I'm sure the ride from the airport will be fine!:thumbsup2

danceintherain....glad you at least got that part figured out. The ride from the airport should be okay. We have done shuttle/taxis before and they were always fine. They are long, it is 40 minutes,,, but they are okay.

Sarah~ for some reason, I JUST found and read your trip report. I loved it!! Tell your hubby that 26 miles makes him a hero to me!!!!! That's incredible!!!

I'm glad you at least settled where everyone is staying. I'm sure the ride from the airport will be fine!:thumbsup2

I think the ride will be fine as well... I'm just going to have to try to not be in a hurry. The MK is open until midnight that night, so I'm hoping we can go and spend a few hours there. Even if we miss the bus that leaves right after our arrival time we still should be able to take the next bus and check in to our hotel by around 6, so if we make it to MK by 7, then we'll have 5 hours of park time before closing.

I'm so happy we have where we're staying planned now. I was going crazy not knowing.
Now I'm trying to decide if I want to make an ADR for an alone dinner for just Logan and I. I kind of set the idea aside since we were going to have to rely on others for transportation, but now that we'll be able to use the buses whenever we want I'm trying to decide if I want to schedule an extra meal. I really want to do Hoop Dee Doo Revue, but that's a bit too expensive. My other idea is Ohana for Dinner, but we've already done Ohana for breakfast, so I'm thinking we might want to try something entirely different.

Any suggestions?

Sarah~ for some reason, I JUST found and read your trip report. I loved it!! Tell your hubby that 26 miles makes him a hero to me!!!!! That's incredible!!!

Thanks!!

So, in May/Memorial Day weekend, we went north to Traverse City, where he was going to run the Bayshore Marathon. He ran that one in 3hr 13m and qualified for Boston! :banana::banana: I was screaming so loud as he came in to finish that I forgot to take any pictures. Ha!!

Thanks for the kind words on the trip report and his January marathon. He was pleased, when I passed along your words! :D

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to make an ADR for an alone dinner for just Logan and I. I kind of set the idea aside since we were going to have to rely on others for transportation, but now that we'll be able to use the buses whenever we want I'm trying to decide if I want to schedule an extra meal. I really want to do Hoop Dee Doo Revue, but that's a bit too expensive. My other idea is Ohana for Dinner, but we've already done Ohana for breakfast, so I'm thinking we might want to try something entirely different.

Any suggestions?

How about Kona Cafe?
Or the Wave?
I actually really liked Crystal Palace, despite it being a character meal.
Liberty Tree Tavern?
If you want to haul all the way out to POR, I really really liked the dinner we had at Boatwright's.
There's also Downtown Disney. We had a fairly nice meal at Raglan Road!

Well, I don't think Mama Snowbird can ever be replaced but I'll help out and be your substitute if no one else wants to. Perhaps an "Auntie Snowbird" to watch the kids while Mama Snowbird is away.:rotfl:

I can't blame you for taking the free dining offer...we would too if DH had more vacation time to use.

I'll be Auntie Snowbird! :)

Okay, I am officially naming Kim and Soleil co-Auntie Snowbirds!! :yay::yay:

Thanks guys! The 2010 thread is all yours!

As soon as we fill up this thread I will start a new chat thread on the community board and post a link here so we can all keep in touch and talk about our January and non-January trips! :goodvibes

Have a great 4th of July everyone! :cool1:

Thanks Shelly for getting us going originally!! This has been the best ever!!! I am glad we are all moving together!!!!

Happy 4th to everyone! We saw awesome fireworks last evening following a minor league baseball game. They gave out 3-D glasses, which added a whole different look. It was kind of like a kaleidoscope-type view. I'm going to take them to Wishes and see what happens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter