January 2015 Car Rental Code Watch

I happened to find my receipt from Alamo from our last visit to Disney. We had reserved a full size car for the price of $132.61, but I see that we actually paid $226.65 after the fees were added! It doesn't look like we agreed to any additional insurance, but there were a lot of additional fees. The one that stands out is the fuel service option. It looks like we were charged for a full tank of gas although I'm sure we didn't take it back empty. I think it would be cheaper to fill the car before returning it and only pay for what we use.

Most of the many fees are shown in the web site quote... except for:

- Extra insurance: Save a bundle by having car rental added to your regular auto insurance policy. The cost is usually minimal. Never buy the car rental company insurance!
- Fuel: The car rental scam is for you to prepay for a tank of gas when you pick up the car... "just bring the car back empty". Of course you never bring it back empty, so you lose. Never pay for fuel with the car rental company, always bring the car back full.

The other scam occurs if you need to keep the car an extra day or two, perhaps because of a flight cancellation. The charge will likely vastly exceed the cost of an entire week. If possible, consider returning the car on time and renting another car for the extra day(s).

Most of the many fees are shown in the web site quote... except for:

- Extra insurance: Save a bundle by having car rental added to your regular auto insurance policy. The cost is usually minimal. Never buy the car rental company insurance!
- Fuel: The car rental scam is for you to prepay for a tank of gas when you pick up the car... "just bring the car back empty". Of course you never bring it back empty, so you lose. Never pay for fuel with the car rental company, always bring the car back full.

The other scam occurs if you need to keep the car an extra day or two, perhaps because of a flight cancellation. The charge will likely vastly exceed the cost of an entire week. If possible, consider returning the car on time and renting another car for the extra day(s).

I agree, to keep them from pressuring me, i bring my copy of my insurance and my card...and I double checked to make sure I'm covered, which I am.
They usually back off then, and I double, triple check what i am signing. that nothing listing extra insurance is listed. It's really never been a problem for us...

I agree, to keep them from pressuring me, i bring my copy of my insurance and my card...and I double checked to make sure I'm covered, which I am.
They usually back off then, and I double, triple check what i am signing. that nothing listing extra insurance is listed. It's really never been a problem for us...

I never even talk to an Agent at Alamo until we are pulling out of the lot. They quickly ask you about the gas option then but I just say no and I'm on my way. Another perk of not having to go to the counter. Maybe that's only if you're an Alamo insider that you don't have to go to the counter?

I never even talk to an Agent at Alamo until we are pulling out of the lot. They quickly ask you about the gas option then but I just say no and I'm on my way. Another perk of not having to go to the counter. Maybe that's only if you're an Alamo insider that you don't have to go to the counter?

We plan on just using the kiosk this trip. I think that's the easiest way to avoid the agent from adding in the "extras". Do you have to pre-pay to do this?

We plan on just using the kiosk this trip. I think that's the easiest way to avoid the agent from adding in the "extras". Do you have to pre-pay to do this?

No - but in September I was unable to get any of the Alamo kiosks to work! They would not read my drivers license or credit card (I can't remember which) so we had to wait in line for the desk sales job.

So if you are an Alamo Insider (which I am), you don't have to go to the counter or use the kiosk? How does that work? Do you do everything on the website?

So if you are an Alamo Insider (which I am), you don't have to go to the counter or use the kiosk? How does that work? Do you do everything on the website?

According to the Mousesavers website, no membership of any sort is required for advance check-in with Alamo online. Anyone can check in online and print out the paperwork at home. That enables you to go directly to the aisle where the car type you reserved is located and select a car. Then you present your paperwork, driver's license and credit card at the exit gate.

I am inclined to give this a try myself next month, as Budget's "express" checkout system appears to be slightly more involved. Anything that lets me avoid the tedious insurance and fuel upsells is definitely the way to go.

I don't prepay, I print out my confirmation at home. When I get off the plane I head strait to the parking garage where the Alamo cars are. I select a car from the aisle which corresponds to what I reserved, the keys are in it and I drive to the exit booth where the agent checks me out and sends me on my way. (I never stop at a Kiosk)

I don't prepay, I print out my confirmation at home. When I get off the plane I head strait to the parking garage where the Alamo cars are. I select a car from the aisle which corresponds to what I reserved, the keys are in it and I drive to the exit booth where the agent checks me out and sends me on my way. (I never stop at a Kiosk)
Is this set up the same at the Alamo at the Dolphin?

Is this set up the same at the Alamo at the Dolphin?
There are no aisle choices at the Dolphin. You go to the counter, and they tell you what cars they have in your category. You choose then they give you the key and you have to give the key to the valet to go get the car.

Just a quick question. Is the klm code not working for 2015? That's the national rental car code that U.S. Popular. I just tried it and it didn't work. I just used it last month.

Just a quick question. Is the klm code not working for 2015? That's the national rental car code that U.S. Popular. I just tried it and it didn't work. I just used it last month.

About 2 months ago I used that code to book a rental for Jan 2015 with no problems. I still have that reservation (and it still lists it as a "flying blue" discount rate) but if I try a new booking, the code comes up as invalid.

In the meantime I found a much better rate through Alamo anyway, so I won't be testing if they'll still honor the KLM reservation.

Just looked through the thread a bit and booked a minivan through Dollar. It is $345 for 10 days. Our trip is January 7-17. I will check back as we get closer to our date, but I can't keep up with all the codes and coupons! We do have APs as well as Costco and AAA memberships.

Is the time you enter on the website for vehicle pick up/drop off very important? I know it can change rates, but if you don't pick up or return the vehicle right at the time you said you would, can they charge you more?

Is the time you enter on the website for vehicle pick up/drop off very important? I know it can change rates, but if you don't pick up or return the vehicle right at the time you said you would, can they charge you more?

They give a bit of a grace period, but not much - I think it's about 30 minutes. I've gotten charged extra for dropping off 1 hour after I said I would. The rental contract will show your fees for extra time broken down by hour, day and week.

They charge in 24 hour time periods, so if I have wiggle room, I'll put a later drop off time just to be safe. For instance, I'm picking up the car at Noon, so technically it's not due until 12 noon on drop-off day. I know I'll be dropping about 6:00 am, but I'm putting 7:00. I won't be charged extra and will have wiggle room if I'm running late.

Yes it is important, Jensen is right about dropping off even an hour after the time you specify. I also wanted to say you can have the same problem if you drop off too early. Sometimes that can be the difference between a daily rate and a weekly rate. I will sometimes make two different reservations to cover myself and then cancel out the extra one when my plans firm up because if you try to change the times on your reservation it will recalculate your rate to the current rate and you can lose the good deal you had.

Yes it is important, Jensen is right about dropping off even an hour after the time you specify. I also wanted to say you can have the same problem if you drop off too early. Sometimes that can be the difference between a daily rate and a weekly rate. I will sometimes make two different reservations to cover myself and then cancel out the extra one when my plans firm up because if you try to change the times on your reservation it will recalculate your rate to the current rate and you can lose the good deal you had.

Once I called when I had to change my times and they did not change the rate. Online changes change the rate if it went up or down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter