Jiko Review from 7/12/06

nybound

Mouseketeer
The intention is for this to be the first in a series of dining reviews from our July '06 trip (to include Victoria and Albert's Chef's Table, 'Ohana, and Les Chefs de France).

As way of introduction, the family and I are rather adventerous eaters in that we'll try anything once (at least the DW and I are that way, DD7 and DD4 stick to the kid's menu and ice cream). We had tried Boma on a previous trip and really didn't like it. But, we were excited about going to Jiko to see if a sit down meal would be better than a buffet.

So, we arrive for our 6:00 pm ADR and wait only a few moments before seated at our table. Our waiter for the evening is Ron, and he is quite good in explaining the different dishes and offering suggestions on meals to experience African cuisine.

For appetizers, I order the Bacon-Arugula-Tomato Flatbread and DW gets the Lemon-Cumin Marinated "Ahi" Tuna. The flatbread is "traditional" with a flat, chewy crust topped with the bacon, arugula, tomatoes, herbs, and a yogurt sauce. The tuna came as a cylinder of raw tuna surrounded by differnt beans and the same yogurt sauce.

Both were very good, though the winner was clearly the Tuna. We were big fans of the yogurt sauce in both dishes (it has a bit of spiciness to it without being overpowering). While the sauce was good for both dishes, it works better with the tuna. Our kids even enjoyed eating the tuna (and they are not big into eating raw fish).

For entrees, I chose the Broiled Filet of Wild Salmon, and the DW gets the Durban Curry Shrimp. The Salmon is a nice size piece sitting atop some a vegetable "salad" of tomatoes, avocado and other vegetables. The shrimp dish is a nice big bowl of shrimp and vegetables (artichokes, tomatoes, peas, and rice as the binding starch). Again, both are very good, though I liked the shrimp better than the salmon (by slim margins). The combination of flavors is well done, and has more of a refreshing quality to it. It's not really sweet or savory per se, but is a nice blend of each (along with a little spice kick). I think it's that blend which made everything so appealing.

For the kids, they both get macroni and cheese. The bowls are huge. The fact that neither one finished is an indication of the amount of food and not that they didn't like it.

We were pretty full from dinner (there was no food left other than the macaroni and cheese), so we decided to share a dessert. In this case, we got the Expedition Everest Sundae. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was a stylized banana split. Nothing spectacular, but quite good and refreshing to end the meal.

Overall, we all give Jiko high marks. While we would most likely not go to Boma again, we would go to Jiko again. I would rank this as being comparable to California Grill in terms of food quality and taste.

That's Jiko in a nutshell. I will post pictures in a moment.

This is our first time to the African-themed hotel and we are wondering which of the two restaurants, Boma or Jiko, has the most authentic African food? We are open to buffet or sit-down, we just want some opinions. Thanks

IMG_1421.jpg

Here's the Jiko menu.

Great REVIEWS!! We were there the next night LOL!! Jiko is on our "must do" list, so hard to do a WDW trip and not go there. That salmon dish is excellent, isn't it?? The last 2 times I got the filet because it is just incredible, the most tender piece of meat I've sunk my teeth into!! :teeth:

The one thing I noticed the last 2 trips and maybe this is because we've been sitting at the "cooking place" the last 2 times...did you order the bread or did they automatically bring it as I remember them bringing it in the past when we've sat at a table but not up at the open kitchen? Just wondering?

Thanks for making me hungry with those photos!! :lmao: We already have an ADR set for our Oct. trip! :thumbsup2 Glad your family enjoyed it!

jwfla422 said:
The one thing I noticed the last 2 trips and maybe this is because we've been sitting at the "cooking place" the last 2 times...did you order the bread or did they automatically bring it as I remember them bringing it in the past when we've sat at a table but not up at the open kitchen? Just wondering?

The bread was brought out right after we ordered. I didn't mention it in my review, but it was good bread with a nice flavored butter. Unfortunately, I don't recall what's in the butter.

I'll have to try the filet the next time.

I, too, have gone to Jikos and loved it. It is kinda by accident that we went there. My family had reservations for Chef Mickeys. But after a long day at the parks and then going to Cirque du Soilel, we decided to change our reservations to Jikos since we were staying at AKL.

OMG, the food was the best we had on the entire trip--and we had experienced a lot of good food. Good review you gave.

Any idea if the kids macaroni and cheese is the same as what comes with the Filet Mignon? I had the filet and LOVED the mac&cheese - if it is the same thing, I think I'd order a child's meal as a side.

Thanks for the review. I really enjoyed the pictures. :thumbsup2

We were at Jiko on our last trip and it's now on the must do list. I agree with the previous poster. That steak is amazing but now that I've seen the shrimp I may have to try that.

Thanks for the review! We are staying at the AKL Memorial Week 2007, and I can't wait to try Jiko's. I love exotic foods, and those pictures made me salivate. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter