• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

John Yaglenski (Intercot) claiming BK and Monorail expansion on the way

All Aboard

Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas
Link to Intercot Thread I don't know, sounds like a "jokes on you" but, if true it could be great news.

FWIW - John was the first to break the news about the Timekeeper closure. He also was on the front edge of the French Quarter and EE news. So, who knows.

I'm going to pay close attention to this, he has been credible in the past with rumours. Let's hope he's right again!

Hi! I'm a longtime member of ICOT, and just noticed John's post. I rarely visit other boards, but had to get over here to see if you had any information about this news. I'm thinking it's a hoax, so don't get your hopes up.

A couple of years ago one of the Monorail Cast Members said an expansion was being planned but wasn't sure of the scope or time frame. She did mention that the buses were a problem d/t pollution and that Disney wouldn't be able to add buses (I suppose in significant numbers) because of state legislation prohibiting it.

Hmmmm…..

I don’t know if I’d exactly be planning to go soaring over to the Animal Kingdom expecting to see Beastly Kingdom. Approving a single new attraction, let alone a whole new area, for a park is really complex. Me mates and I know a lot can happen down under in the executive offices in Burbank.

And the other part about the monorail expansion to start in 2007: if Disney could plan that far out right now they wouldn’t be in half the trouble they are at the moment.

I don’t know if I’d exactly be planning to go soaring over to the Animal Kingdom expecting to see Beastly Kingdom. Approving a single new attraction, let alone a whole new area, for a park is really complex. Me mates and I know a lot can happen down under in the executive offices in Burbank.

Crikey, I wish you weren't so vague.

Interpretting AV....

Don't expect a whole new land or any of the Beastly Kingdom stuff. However a Soarin' over Australia attraction is a possibility.

Dangit Hopemax, you beat me to it.

By the way, I'll bet you a slice of pizza that these rumors are in the planning stages.

As in, "Hmm...the board is breathing down my neck. Let's secretly -- wink, wink -- announce that we are in the planning stages for Giant Monorail Resort Expansions and...which park is in trouble?...oh yeah, AK...and Giant Animal Kingdom Expansion -- wink, wink. Got all that down, Paul?"

Hmm...the board is breathing down my neck. Let's secretly -- wink, wink -- announce that we are in the planning stages for Giant Monorail Resort Expansions and...which park is in trouble?...oh yeah, AK...and Giant Animal Kingdom Expansion -- wink, wink.

You know, this did kind of cross my mind too. If there is a large possibility that there is going to be a new management team in place by 2007, what's the harm in announcing a transportation plan?

Right now, it's good PR as far as the customers are concerned, and when the new management comes in and "delays" it, everyone will understand how a new team would want to acclimate itself before rushing into a multi-billion dollar expansion plan.

JohnY posted again in response to my thinking it was an "April Fool's" type joke saying that he was completely serious.

Clearly he's not joking and says his sources are solid. (He throws in all the regular caveats 'subject to change' and all.)

Your Airness, interesting angle on the mgt change. That's a very real possibility.

As I've said before, monorail service linking all the parks would be nice, BUT... without service to resorts that do not currently have it, it's actually quite worthless. For example. Let's say you are staying at the Caribbean Beach and your day calls for time at the Studios followed the night activities at Epcot. Currently (if you have no car) you'd bus to the Studios, boat or bus to Epcot and then bus back to your resort. If the new plan doesn't include service to the resorts, the only thing that changes is that bus or boat trip from the Studios to Epcot becomes a monorail trip. To me, there is very little value in that. Certainly not enough to justify the massive expense that would occur.

Without resort service, I'd much prefer Disney NOT lay out the capital and point it in a different direction.

Maybe instead of a desperation move it’s all part of the plan. If Mike has agreed to bring someone in (Pittman or ???) as his eventual successor, he’d probably want to make sure any major transportation plan got credited to his watch and became part of his legacy.

It would be great to see them boldly investing again. However, like Greg, I have some concerns whether this is the best use of $. While more monorails would be nice, I know if the choice was between nice, and 5-10 new E tickets scattered among the parks which I would rather have.

I have this fear this could be a huge albatross. How many public transportation projects have been funded based on a perceived “user value” that never materialized. One of the bigger decisions they will make, sure hope they get it right.

I think Disney needs a new form of transportation. This would be money well spent and would add to the overall show that is Walt Disney World much more than the current busses.

Pan

..use an enclosed version of the wedway peoplemover. It would be cheaper, but just as effective as a monorail expansion.

Another reason for better/more entertaining transportation is so Disney can continue to charge a premium for their hotel rooms.

If you have several small children, will be spending most of your time at the MK and want to take mid-day breaks it is fairly easy to be convinced that one of the monorail resorts makes the most sense - even though they cost more. The hour(s) a day you save in travel make it worth the money.

If there was a train from AKL to AK to CSR to EPCOT for example it would make it easier to charge premium prices for AKL and you might be able to raise the prices at CSR a bit and get away with it.

You can't make any more money by building more hotels - there are plenty of them - if you want to make more on the resorts you will have to figure out ways to convince people to pay more.

I also will put no credence in this rumor until their is a official announcement from disney. Anybody can start a rumoer and say its subject to change and they have a built in excuse when it doesnt happen.
And i would much perfer they spend money to add attractions to the parks than do anything with the transportation system. With disney having money problems and being in debt IMHO spending money on a monorail expansion wont bring much bang for the buck. And i have had no problems with the transportation system when i have used it, but i will say i dont use if often.

Having just been down there...perhaps they are in a situation where they have to debate adding more infrastructure to handle cars versus adding a monorail. Adding a monorail to keep day traffic from moving their cars more than once could help Disney reclaim some of the acreage they have devoted to parking lots. In addition if well planned it could remove the need to have additional roads & the resort bus traffic could be re-directed to monorail loading points rather than traversing all the way to each and every park. Besides reducing air pollution it would also reduce noise pollution.

Having stayed at Old Key West over Memorial Day it seems to me it is extraordinarily wasteful to have a Magic Kingdom Bus, an Animal Kingdom Bus, an Epcot bus and a Downtown Disney Bus make a circuit of the resort versus having a bus or electric cart devoted to circling the resort to pick up travelers.

"Another reason for better/more entertaining transportation is so Disney can continue to charge a premium for their hotel rooms. "

Exactly.

The bus situation is horrible at this point and I would assume that if Disney was going to invest in a massive monorail expansion, there are two reasons. One, they will have a long-term cost savings vs. the bus system. Two, they can continue to add to the room rates for this "luxury". The monorail expansion most likely wouldn't be done for our best interest, it's usually the business' interests at heart. :)

A few years back, they were doing a servey at a few of the monorail stations about expantion. I think it would be great if they went to all four parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter