Just at a loss... Never stayed in a Deluxe and want to know if they are worth it. Halp!

denlishen

Earning My Ears
Ok, So here's the quick rundown. Its just me and my boyfriend going for 5 days in OCT (early 30's couple), I've been several times and stayed in all the moderates (but only mods, never a deluxe or value), hes been only once and stayed offsite. We are currently booked in copper creek at WL one bedroom and I'm stoked to stay there but I am having a hard time paying an extra $1500 over what I can get PO Riverside for. I've stayed in POR and find it nice and romantic as well. We do tend to stay in higher end hotels and do place value on location and room types, however that's a big price delta for 5 days and we could use it to do really cool dinners or specialty parties/tours instead since we might not be in the room much. BUT then I LOVE the theming of WL and have always wanted to stay in a deluxe.

Anyway, just wanting to read some opinions for both sides, I know its a personal thing but maybe someone has better insight for me who's maybe been in this situation. You guys always have great answers :)

I've never been to POR or WL, but if you like POR, I would stay there. I agree I don't think WL would be worth an extra $1500. If you were on the monorail or walking distance to a park, it would make it a little easier to swallow. But no matter what you'd have to take a bus/boat to get anywhere. Plus with POR you're so close to DS and so many restaurants/shops.

Last edited:
Is it worth it is subjective, obviously since they stay booked it is for many people. I'm one of them but for the last few years I've been doing split stays with a night or two at a moderate then moving over to an Epcot deluxe.

The advantages for me, and this is just me, my adult son doesn't agree. I love the fact that there are indoor hallways and actual balconies or porches where you can sit and enjoy the view, even if it's of the woods. I love getting up in the morning, brewing a cup of coffee and watching the resort wake up. I stay in the Epcot resorts because we tend to spend most of our time at Epcot and HS, so we can walk to both parks. We do one day at AK and you have to bus to there no matter where you stay. MK is a half day park for us, although we have APs so have been known to hop over there for a hour or two during difference times of our trip. Being able to walk through Epcot and hop on the monorail makes it easier. The deluxe resorts have a hot tub at the quiet pool, this may not sound like much but both my son and I have back issues and having access to a hot tub away from the main pool is nice.

Ok, So here's the quick rundown. Its just me and my boyfriend going for 5 days in OCT (early 30's couple), I've been several times and stayed in all the moderates (but only mods, never a deluxe or value), hes been only once and stayed offsite. We are currently booked in copper creek at WL one bedroom and I'm stoked to stay there but I am having a hard time paying an extra $1500 over what I can get PO Riverside for. I've stayed in POR and find it nice and romantic as well. We do tend to stay in higher end hotels and do place value on location and room types, however that's a big price delta for 5 days and we could use it to do really cool dinners or specialty parties/tours instead since we might not be in the room much. BUT then I LOVE the theming of WL and have always wanted to stay in a deluxe.

Anyway, just wanting to read some opinions for both sides, I know its a personal thing but maybe someone has better insight for me who's maybe been in this situation. You guys always have great answers :)
I recommend deluxe, but doing a more affordable deluxe room than a Copper Creek 1-bedroom. I recommend a standard-view room at Wilderness Lodge or a standard-view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge, using Disney's resort-room discount or a travel agency discount (if you can find one- some agencies have them). That way you'll get to enjoy the deluxe experience, but without such a massive price increase.

Last edited:
$1500 is a lot of money. The 1-bedrooms are lovely, plenty of space to spread out, kitchen, laundry. But it doesn't sound like you'll really use the room. If you don't think you'll enjoy the room then switch to POR. A lot of the cost you're paying is for the 1 bedroom, a studio wouldn't be nearly as much.

I'd switch and put the money towards the dinners and tours!

Why not get a studio, and rent from a DVC member...or maybe you are already doing that for the one bedroom. If that is an option then I would consider renting from David's who is a sponsor on the boards. Renting a villa is one way to stay deluxe without as much cost. DH and I own DVC and we do not have children and only stay in studios because we can...we love to eat at WDW and don't need the kitchen to cook in. If I needed to cook for a family of 5 to keep a food budget down then a one bedroom would be awesome. I get wanted to have some "luxury" but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a one bedroom...heck we love the value studios at AKL. I have stayed in some nice hotels in NYC, DC, etc.

I have stayed at POFQ and loved it, we are 110 miles form New Orleans and it was awesome. I could do a lot with $1500 in the way of food at WDW. If you are good with a moderate and he has never stayed on property then I think saving the money is a great decision. At the end of a busy day, a shower is a shower and a bed is a bed. The rooms are all well appointed and clean. I would do the romantic dinners and enjoy a quiet resort like POR. I am 48 and DH is 52 and we usually go to Disney twice a year for 7-9 nights each trip--it is really the only place we vacation, hence the DVC ownership.

At the end of the trip I remember the dinner we had a Jiko near the window watching the water trickle over the rocks and the fantastic filet...or the fish at Bluezoo, or the fireworks at Cali Grill. That makes more of an impression on me and adds to my experience, not so much the room....they tend to all look the same after a while. If I were going for the first time...I would chose dining and specialty events over the room.

I recommend deluxe, but doing a more affordable deluxe room than a Copper Creek 1-bedroom. I recommend a standard-view room at Wilderness Lodge or a standard-view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge, using Disney's resort-room discount or a travel agency discount (if you can find one- some agencies have them). That way you'll get to enjoy the deluxe experience, but without such a massive price increase.

This is really what I want but unfortunately for my dates Oct 2nd-7th there is no availability anywhere for a standard room in a deluxe.

Why not get a studio, and rent from a DVC member...or maybe you are already doing that for the one bedroom. If that is an option then I would consider renting from David's who is a sponsor on the boards. Renting a villa is one way to stay deluxe without as much cost. DH and I own DVC and we do not have children and only stay in studios because we can...we love to eat at WDW and don't need the kitchen to cook in. If I needed to cook for a family of 5 to keep a food budget down then a one bedroom would be awesome. I get wanted to have some "luxury" but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a one bedroom...heck we love the value studios at AKL. I have stayed in some nice hotels in NYC, DC, etc.

I have stayed at POFQ and loved it, we are 110 miles form New Orleans and it was awesome. I could do a lot with $1500 in the way of food at WDW. If you are good with a moderate and he has never stayed on property then I think saving the money is a great decision. At the end of a busy day, a shower is a shower and a bed is a bed. The rooms are all well appointed and clean. I would do the romantic dinners and enjoy a quiet resort like POR. I am 48 and DH is 52 and we usually go to Disney twice a year for 7-9 nights each trip--it is really the only place we vacation, hence the DVC ownership.

At the end of the trip I remember the dinner we had a Jiko near the window watching the water trickle over the rocks and the fantastic filet...or the fish at Bluezoo, or the fireworks at Cali Grill. That makes more of an impression on me and adds to my experience, not so much the room....they tend to all look the same after a while. If I were going for the first time...I would chose dining and specialty events over the room.

Thank you this is well thought out and kinda what I was thinking.

I love reading these awesome responces though, keep them coming!!

Thank you all.

$1500 is a lot of money. The 1-bedrooms are lovely, plenty of space to spread out, kitchen, laundry. But it doesn't sound like you'll really use the room. If you don't think you'll enjoy the room then switch to POR. A lot of the cost you're paying is for the 1 bedroom, a studio wouldn't be nearly as much.

I'd switch and put the money towards the dinners and tours!

I really want a studio but none are available anywhere for my dates 2oct-7oct. I picked the worst dates of the year apparently. I wish I could move them but I cant.

If you are stressing about the $1500, then it's not worth it. Vacations aren't fun when you are stressed over how much you paid. :)

This is very true. I agree. And I mean I can afford it, but it just bothers me to overspend, Ive always been a value shopper lol I just cant decide if its worth the splurge

Unless you're planning to spend a lot of time at the resort I think you might as well go for POR. Besides, you can still go to WL to dine/drink/shop, etc. If you didn't care for the moderates I might have a different suggestion, but you said you were happy with POR on previous trips.

You can sign up for David's email notifications and he will send you recent listings that come available. I usually get one every two months. Might be worth it to ask...people cancel reservations all the time and for DVC a cancelled reservation is a HUGE deal...so people want to get something for it ( cash) because the points can go into holding and can eventually be lost.

A moderate to a 1 BR villa is a big jump.
If you are booked with cash rates then you will get housekeeping.
I am a Dvc owner and love my deluxes but you might want to think long and hard about your decision.
You might wind up getting a DVC membership:-) starting at the 1br level in deluxe NEver good lol.
Kerri

Unless you're planning to spend a lot of time at the resort I think you might as well go for POR. Besides, you can still go to WL to dine/drink/shop, etc. If you didn't care for the moderates I might have a different suggestion, but you said you were happy with POR on previous trips.

Im open to any suggestions

A moderate to a 1 BR villa is a big jump.
If you are booked with cash rates then you will get housekeeping.
I am a Dvc owner and love my deluxes but you might want to think long and hard about your decision.
You might wind up getting a DVC membership:-) starting at the 1br level in deluxe NEver good lol.
Kerri

Well I booked it under the enchanted escape room special which, while pricey, was still a great deal I thought (for what it is). But good deal or not, its still an extra $1500 lol

Well I booked it under the enchanted escape room special which, while pricey, was still a great deal I thought (for what it is). But good deal or not, its still an extra $1500 lol
Nice never heard of that deal I am out of the loop lol.
I can say that I love WL so much that is why I purchased DVC.
If you do stay there you must spend some time enjoying resort:-)
Beautiful pool area!
Happy planning
Kerri

You aren't comparing similar rooms. Have you priced a regular room at Wilderness Lodge? That might be a nice compromise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter