Just back and my feelings on Saratoga Springs

Jillpie

Can you package some Main St. music and send it to
We are BCV owners and have been members for five years now. I booked our trip last week 8 weeks out and all they had was SSR. This was a Mom and Son only trip on his college break, so I was really looking forward to it, and got a studio. I had requested the Springs section. When we checked in, they said all they had left was 2 rooms in the "newest section", Carousel. I knew what the "new section" meant, a VERY far, long walk from the main bldg.

I thought this resort was very beautiful, I really gave it a good shot. But to be perfectly honest, I hated and even resented the huge layout and distance from the main pool and building!! It was the most frustrating experience at times. Just to grab some milk for the morning was huge, thank goodness my son is a runner and he did his run at night and he could grab stuff. I only went to the main pool once and didn't like it at all. Way too crowded and I'm a huge slide lover and didn't like this one at all.

The grounds were very pretty though and I have to say I loved the quiet pool in the Paddocks, but again, a good walk from our room. I really, really missed the whole Beach Club/Boardwalk area so much. This resort reminded me of one huge condo complex. The staff were extremely friendly with lots of "welcome homes" and there was one pool man, named Freddie who I will never forget who went out of his way to give me rides on his car a couple of times.

However, unless this is the very last resort to choose from, I won't be going back. I had a fantasticly great time with my son at the parks though!

I'm sorry you were disappointed with SSR. We have yet to stay there, though we will be sometime soon. By looking at the map, I really don't want to be put in the Carousel section either. It just looks too far from everything. I wonder if you could have been in a different section if you would have enjoyed it more.

Glad you had a good time at the parks, though!

Sorry you were dissapointed....

May is my 1st dvc trip...last minute...same only SSR left...

I hope they dont put me in the boons:confused3
Kerri

At least you gave it a try & made the decision for yourself.

Great thing about DVC... different strokes for different folks.

Have to say we love SSR (although we have never stayed "way out" so I don't know if that would impact our opinion) & had a horrid :scared1: experience at Beach Club so...

Glad you had a good time with your son!

I think anyone who is used to, and really enjoys, a particular resort will have some issues with most of the other resorts...especially transitioning from "hotel style" (BWV/BCV/VWL) to "condo style" (OKW/SSR) resorts, or vice versa.

It's just different approaches to the Disney timeshare, and I'm very glad to have options for many styles of vacation homes.

Jillpie...thanks for sharing your thoughts. While some will undoubtedly take it as "resort bashing", I thought you just threw your opinion out there in a manner that wasn't inflamatory. Glad you had a great trip! :)

We are BCV owners and have been members for five years now. I booked our trip last week 8 weeks out and all they had was SSR. This was a Mom and Son only trip on his college break, so I was really looking forward to it, and got a studio. I had requested the Springs section. When we checked in, they said all they had left was 2 rooms in the "newest section", Carousel. I knew what the "new section" meant, a VERY far, long walk from the main bldg.

I thought this resort was very beautiful, I really gave it a good shot. But to be perfectly honest, I hated and even resented the huge layout and distance from the main pool and building!! It was the most frustrating experience at times. Just to grab some milk for the morning was huge, thank goodness my son is a runner and he did his run at night and he could grab stuff. I only went to the main pool once and didn't like it at all. Way too crowded and I'm a huge slide lover and didn't like this one at all.

The grounds were very pretty though and I have to say I loved the quiet pool in the Paddocks, but again, a good walk from our room. I really, really missed the whole Beach Club/Boardwalk area so much. This resort reminded me of one huge condo complex. The staff were extremely friendly with lots of "welcome homes" and there was one pool man, named Freddie who I will never forget who went out of his way to give me rides on his car a couple of times.

However, unless this is the very last resort to choose from, I won't be going back. I had a fantasticly great time with my son at the parks though!
I think this is fairly representative of a fair percentage of the DVC members. Great resort but others they like even better. I also feel having a car makes a much larger difference at SSR & OKW than the other resorts.

Thanks for posting. Carousel section is the only part of the resort I would not want to stay either.

It is tough when you already love one resort, to expect a different resort to give you that same feeling.

Glad to hear you had a great week with your son!

Does SSR not have bus service that would help in getting to the main area? That is always so easy at OKW, and I assumed SSR would be similar. How many bus stops do they have now? I stayed at SSR when just the Springs was open, so no concept of the distances or bus stops.

Does SSR not have bus service that would help in getting to the main area? That is always so easy at OKW, and I assumed SSR would be similar. How many bus stops do they have now? I stayed at SSR when just the Springs was open, so no concept of the distances or bus stops.

Yes it has buses. And you can always hop on any bus to get to the main area. We were in the farthest section of the Paddock, which I love because of hte proximity to DTD, but the hike really wasnt that bad to the main area. I do agree, the main pool area is snug! not really sure what they were thinking.

It's funny - I was about to post a similar thought about SSR over the last couple of days but never got around to it. We are VWL and newly AKL owners but just recently returned from a nine day visit to SSR for the first time. Overall I loved the beauty and landscaping of the resort and its overall peacefulness. I also enjoyed the themed pool but agree that it is way too small for the size of the resort and definitely not enough chairs.

We too were "stuck" in the Carousel section. Having spent enough time there, I am of the opinion that every other section has a valuable attribute. Congress Park has its proximity to DTD and its own quiet pool and playground; the Springs and Paddock have its proximity to the main areas; and the Grandstand has its own larger quiet pool and water play area.

What exactly does the Carousel section have to offer unless you like a view of a highway, a long walk to the main area or an even longer walk to DTD. I don't get what they were thinking with this section.

The stay in Carousel was not enough to turn me off to SSR; as I said there is a lot I loved about SSR. I will happily stay there again but I will be firm in my room request to put me anywhere EXCEPT except Carousel.

You people crack me up just dont stay there its as simple as that or we can act like 3 year olds and jump on here and say stupid things I guess that will solve your problems.

This is exactly the reason why they should have point tiers for the various views/locations at SSR as they do for BWV and the new AKV.

I have to echo the OP's comments. We stayed at SSR in December. It was all we could get booking in late July. We stayed in the Springs section, so it wasn't that long of a walk for us. We thought the room was beautiful and the grounds looked great, but something was just was missing. We didn't realized what it was until we went for lunch over at Beaches & Cream. We all sat there wishing we could head back to our room at BCV. :guilty: And we own at VWL. :idea: Go figure.

Just because some people prefer other resorts doesn't mean they need to slam others.

I don't like BWV - I hate the long hallways, the theming, no quick serve other than the bakery. Basically the only thing I do enjoy is the pool. I don't tell those who love it they are imbeciles I just don't stay there.

I think SSR is gorgeous, I like the layout and theming - I also love VWL. Shoot me,

Thanks for the report, I think its very true that location can really play a part in anyones enjoyment of a resort.
We`ve rquested Congress park or the Grandstand for our upcoming trip - I hope we get either one of those :goodvibes

I am an SSR owner and I would have to agree on the Carosel section. That is one area I would NOT want to be. My order of preference would be Congress Park, Grandstand, then Springs/Paddock, don't care. With the Carosel being very very very last.

Glad you had a good trip with your son.

I have to echo the OP's comments. We stayed at SSR in December. It was all we could get booking in late July. We stayed in the Springs section, so it wasn't that long of a walk for us. We thought the room was beautiful and the grounds looked great, but something was just was missing. We didn't realized what it was until we went for lunch over at Beaches & Cream. We all sat there wishing we could head back to our room at BCV. :guilty: And we own at VWL. :idea: Go figure.

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

For years , I would almost grimace when we got the perky "welcome home" from the front desk CM when checking in at BWV, our home resort.

Then in early 2006 I took the opportunity to "check out" SSR while at a conference at WDW (deviated from a group event at DTD, my curiosity got the better of me).

Well, suffice to say, when my family and I checked in last August to BWV , I can't descibe how good it felt to hear that "welcome home!!" Or put another way, you don't really appreciate what you have until you see what life is like without it.

A question. If you stay at the Carousel section and you have a car, is not so bad? We are spending a few nights there this Oct and I would HATE to check into a DVC resort (esp when it is not my home resort) and have room requests!! We always have a car and are not afraid to use it!

We just got back from SSR in the Grandstand section and loved our stay. The pool there had a bar and a refillable mug station. It was really nice. I was totally surprised by how much I enjoyed my stay. But I think the section you're talking about would be my last choice at Saratoga. Every resort has a section that's less than stellar.

We own at VWL, BWV, and now SSR (did an add-on while we were there). There are locations at every DVC that I don't care for. When we used to own BCV, I hated being at the end of the building by the service road - yuck; at VWL I despised the no-balcony room when I'm staying in a studio; at OKW I don't like the end units next to the highway; and at Boardwalk, down at the end by the tennis courts is a longggg way to the elevator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter