Just back and my feelings on Saratoga Springs

Ok, I'm officially worried now. Wife and I are looking into buying 150 points at SSR and now I read this post...

We've always stayed at the value resorts, the way that guy makes it sound, we are making a huge mistake.. can anyone give me some positives on SSR? Are we making a mistake???

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay. We are going to stay at our home resort in July for the first time as new owners and I'm trying to go into this with an open mind.

When we stayed at YC last April I was listening to everyone here on the DIS talk about how great SAB is and I was so excited. I was telling my kids and my DH how much fun this pool is and you know what....We Hated It!! It was too big and definitely too crowded. So we were at the quiet pool all week. I liked that better.

ETA: I don't say that to offend anyone. I'm just stating that it's alright. What one person likes, another might not like. That's what makes us all different.

Ok, I'm officially worried now. Wife and I are looking into buying 150 points at SSR and now I read this post...

We've always stayed at the value resorts, the way that guy makes it sound, we are making a huge mistake.. can anyone give me some positives on SSR? Are we making a mistake???

As you have read in these posts, everyone has their own opinion based on their own tastes. It's really hard for anyone to give you positives OR negatives without knowing things like:

1. How often do you travel and for how long?
2. What type of room would you most likely be using, studio, 1br or 2br?
3. How many people are in your traveling party?
4. What regular resorts do you like or dislike?
5. Do you have a favorite park? What about Downtown Disney (DTD)?

SSR and OKW are commonly described as "condo" style resorts; multiple buildings, rooms with exterior doors with parking next to the buildings. The other DVC resorts are more of a "hotel" style; rooms with interior doors and all rooms in one (or a couple) of large buildings with parking in one big lot.

Go read the SSR Lovers thread. The resort is beautiful. just different from what the OP is use to staying. They own at BCV and that is thier "home".

SSR lovers and owners thread

DVC is a good buy as long as you understand what you are buying. I thought that I researched the hell out of it, and I am still getting surprises. I have noticed that the DVC resorts are built on left over land which makes it a great deal for Disney.

People being like they are, I can guarantee you that the things that we don't like, someone else will love.

DVC is not a life long commitment. Come the day when the cons out weight the pros, we will sell and someone else will be eager to take our place.

Does SSR not have bus service that would help in getting to the main area? That is always so easy at OKW, and I assumed SSR would be similar. How many bus stops do they have now? I stayed at SSR when just the Springs was open, so no concept of the distances or bus stops.

Yes, and we took the buses to the main bldg. However, its the trip back to your room is the problem. The buses don't go backward, unless you take the downtown disney bus. Its just a huge pain all around, not convenient at all to go to the gift shop etc.

Count me in among the dumbest people on the planet...I absolutely love SSR...and I'm beyond belief happy to have bought there (and added on there, too).

Prior to joining DVC, BC was my family's favorite. It's still way up there...but SSR is giving it a run for its money! Stayed at OKW for one night in January, and really really liked it, too. Not a huge fan of BWV, or VWL...but would happily stay at either place and be grateful to be at WDW ... but will always take SSR or BCV as first choice if points are plentiful...if I'm economizing on points, I'm grateful to have OKW as an option...no opinion yet on AKV...animals aren't our "thing" and we really like being walking-distance close to something other than the resort itself (DDT at SSR, MK at VWL, Epcot at BCV/BWV), so we'll probably let the AKV fans have first crack at it...one fewer DVCer to compete for limited availability!

There are dozens of threads on the good (and less good) aspects of each of the DVC resorts. But one thing I find really really "curious:" people who complain about walking distance...how do they manage at the parks? In my experience, being at Disney is being prepared to walk--and walk and walk and walk some more. For me that's part of the fun...I love strolling along and "gawking" at all the wonderful and colorful things to look at (and I can fool myself into thinking that all the extra eating I'm doing won't do "that much" damage to my waistline...now that is self deception in the extreme...but it feels good while it's happening!)...

Anyway, at SSR the villa furthest from the main pool/restaurant/check-in area is maybe a 10-to-15 minute stroll...and maybe a 2-minute stroll to a bus. NO doubt that's "too much" for some folks, and that's cool for them. But it goes w/the territory at most of the resorts...the only difference is you do your walking inside at BCV, BWV, VWL...

Anyway, just wanted to post to say I'm dumb (if loving SSR makes me dumb) and proud of it!

I bought SSR because I wanted to be away from the "busy-ness" of the resort areas. I don't travel with young kids, so I don't need to be close to everything. I loved the walk from the room to Artist's in November! I watched the swans on the lake, and enjoyed the quiet!

I've stayed at BW and I like it fine, but I prefer my SSR. That's why DVC has different resorts, DVC members all have different travel needs!

. But one thing I find really really "curious:" people who complain about walking distance...how do they manage at the parks?
( !

I am the OP and being able to walk is not the issue. It is the time it takes to walk from point A to point B. When you get off the bus at 11:00 at night, you really just want to grab a little something at the grocery store and go to bed. Not take the hour or so back and forth. That is my point when I say I was furthest away from the main bldg, its the time factor.

For the poster who asked about whether having a car would make a difference. It would have made a huge difference. So if thats what you do, I say go for it if you are staying at this resort. Personally, when we hit ground at Orlando, driving stays home and we opt to hop on the buses for convenience.

Hmmmm. I believe Disney tried a similar resort concept back in the early 90's with their first timeshare resort. I wonder how well it ended up doing??????:thumbsup2

Thank you for putting into words what I have always felt but couldn't describe. IMHO years from now SS will be looked back at as a well intended strategic misfire.

SSR and OKW are commonly described as "condo" style resorts; multiple buildings, rooms with exterior doors with parking next to the buildings. The other DVC resorts are more of a "hotel" style; rooms with interior doors and all rooms in one (or a couple) of large buildings with parking in one big lot.

Good segmentation, but I'd add a variable - depth and quality of theming.

A "condo" style design -- as least as executed by Disney -- tends not to lend itself to distinctive theming, while the "hotel" design does (the "condo" property that is most successful at aspiring to a themed feel is VB, and much of that success has to do with the unique location and setting and the fact VB is in essence a combination of a condo and a hotel design).

The "extreme" versions of the DVC themed hotel designs are VWL and the planned AKV - both have very deep, elaborate theming that really distinguishes the properties (while both BWV and BCV are ostensibly "themed," the primary feeling one gets at either is more "generically retro deluxe" than the presumed Atlantic City or Cape Cod genres each is supposedly designed arround).

I disagree. I think both SSR and OKW are very true to their themes. If you see pictures of turn of the century Key West and look at OKW, you will hardly be able to see a difference with the exception that OKW will look better maintained. SSR is certainly themed for Saratoga NY right down to the upscale furniture and Horsey set.

I disagree. I think both SSR and OKW are very true to their themes. If you see pictures of turn of the century Key West and look at OKW, you will hardly be able to see a difference with the exception that OKW will look better maintained. SSR is certainly themed for Saratoga NY right down to the upscale furniture and Horsey set.

I should have been more specific about the attributes of truly good theming. The latter consists of more than architecture and props; really great theming adds sound and activity elements to your "sensory radar" to recreate ambiance (exhibit A: Adventureland in the MK).

On that level, I guess I'll upgrade my rating of BWV to be more comparable to VWL and the future AKV; especially at night on the lakefront side of the Boardwalk you are introduced to entertainment and activity (even smells!) that specifically reinforce the theming.

Those elements are non-existent at OKW and SSR.

Or to put it another way, as nice as they are, you'll never get the feeling at those resorts that you get from this:

florida047.jpg

I should have been more specific about the attributes of truly good theming. The latter consists of more than architecture and props; really great theming adds sound and activity elements to your "sensory radar" to recreate ambiance (exhibit A: Adventureland in the MK).

On that level, I guess I'll upgrade my rating of BWV to be more comparable to VWL and the future AKV; especially at night on the lakefront side of the Boardwalk you are introduced to entertainment and activity (even smells!) that specifically reinforce the theming.

Or to put it another way, as nice as they are, you'll never get the feeling at those resorts that you get from this:

florida047.jpg

Are you saying the theming of SSR does not lend itself well to the resort. I see a Boardwalk theme in your picture, but I also see a Saratoga, NY theme everytime we visit SSR.

As for sensory elements, SSR has a "Horses to your Post" jingle at the main pool at the top and bottom of every hour. The horse-drawn carriage rides are a very nice touch as well. I can smell the horses all the way at the Artist's Pallette. :)

Are you saying the theming of SSR does not lend itself well to the resort. I see a Boardwalk theme in your picture, but I also see a Saratoga, NY theme everytime we visit SSR.

As for sensory elements, SSR has a "Horses to your Post" jingle at the main pool at the top and bottom of every hour. The horse-drawn carriage rides are a very nice touch as well. I can smell the horses all the way at the Artist's Pallette. :)

Good points - I'm not an equestrian, so didn't notice these during my tour last year.;)

Op, sorry you did not love SSR. I think had you been in the Springs section, you would have liked it better. Both times I stayed there we were in congress park. Carousel would be my last pick for sure out of all the sections. At least DVC only made 2 buildings in that section! I know what you mean about the epcot resorts. Whenever we stay elsewhere, we really miss BWV or BCV.

And that steel drum music at OKW is part of the theme too as well as the color and decor in the rooms. Not over the top like VWL or AKV will be, but then I don't see BWV as over the top either.

florida047.jpg

Hmm see to me that only gives me pain as I recall when BWV accidently deactivated our room key and after a long *Epcot Death March* I was lucky enought to travel those LONGGGGGGGG corridors not once, not twice but THREE times since the initial new cards did not work.

Then it reminds me of the drunks who camped under my room creaming each and every night.

When I see SSR I see serenity, relaxation and enjoyment

So just because YOU like something does not mean it does the same to ME.
:cheer2:

I'm one of those people that prefers the condo-type "FEEL" over the hotel-type. I LOVE SSR!!!! I hated the BWV.....too noisy and not very well maintained in my opinion. I want PEACE AND QUIET when I'm on vacation! To each his own...............

I think this is fairly representative of a fair percentage of the DVC members

wow, if that is true it is miracle they were able to sell OKW before there was anything else to choose from.

I think it would be fair to say that some like the layout of OKW and SSR and some don't but I don't think it is a representative of a fair precentage of the DVC members.

Now if you had said it is fairly representative of the vocal majority of this forum, you would be right on.

For anyone new to SSR, if you do not wish to walk to the main area for milk you might want to stock some in your fridge and/or take the internal bus.

Yes SSR and OKW are laid out in the traditional condo style and that does not appeal to some and does appeal to some. We prefer it, as we like having our car close to us. We prefer to look at landscaping as we go from point A to point B, instead of long hallways, with garbage bags stinking up the place.;)

So truly there is nothing wrong with either choice, they are just different. I can respect that and am glad they offer both styles.

What I can't agree with is statements without facts that the DVC membership prefers one over the other. I think we could leave those comments out of these discussions.

PS: for anyone going in early August I requested Carousel, so at least one unit will be occupied by someone that wanted to be out in the outerbanks. :)

Coach 81: the only advise I can give you is I would never let opinions on a Net forum influence me in choosing my personal home and I did not let it influence me in purchasing my DVC home.

That said, I am not one to buy anything sight unseen. Never, ever would I buy something I am going to invest that much money and have as long as I am going to have my DVC without experiencing it myself. So that is my advise, try it for yourself before buying. Only you can decide if you like it or not. We stayed at all the DVC resorts available prior to purchase and we are very happy with our decisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter