Just Back-Boma/Jiko/California Grill/Fulton's

MartDM

DIS Veteran
Just returned from our trip. We at at Boma (breakfast buffet), Jiko (Safari package dinner), Fulton's Crab House, & California Grill. All were very good & I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Fulton's is pricey but it does deliver in terms of upscale menu selections & excellent service! I wouldn't recommend it to any parties with budget concerns, picky eaters, or lack of interest in a leisurely fine dining experience as that's not this restaurant caters to. However, if you are interested in splurging for a fine dining experience (in a casual setting of course) I say go for it.

For appetizers, hubby had crabcakes that were exceptional (all crab, no filler) and I was thrilled to find stone crab claws which were also great. He had lobster tail & filet for dinner & I had the snow crab platter...again, all was very good & cooked perfectly. We didn't have dessert after all that food, but the ones I saw being delivered to other tables looked phenomenal. Deb Wills' site has more menu info on it if you want to peruse.

Anyway, it is pricier than a lot of WDW fare but, in my opinion, you get a better experience for your money. We enjoy an occasional upscale meal out (especially when on vacation) so we took the price in stride. Likewise with California Grill.

Can you tell us a little about your Jiko experience, and particularly your safari tour?

How was California Grill? Service? Food (what did you have)? Was it very bustling/noisy?

Krissalee-

The safari was very cool. We met our guide & the other guests at the concierge lounge then we all were led into the staff only area of the savannah. We boarded an 8 passenger van with a roof that raises straight up like a canopy so you can stand up to better see/take pictures/video.

We visited all the savannahs surrounding the hotel & were given quite a bit of insight from our guide. She discussed the care & breeding of the animals, what cities/backgrounds/organizations they were obtained from, their behavior and natural lifestyle/habitats, and most interestingly she gave us lots of specific info on each animal including their name, lineage, personality traits, interactive habits with the others, who is naughty/nice/mischievous, etc. It really was a leisurely and informative ride and we got tons of great up close pics of the animals and some great views of AKL itself.

Dinner at Jiko was handled like a "chef's table" kind of affair. We dined with the other safari tourists and were treated to a sampler menu with wine pairings. Chef Dennis visited our table to introduce & describe each element of each course and our waiter did the same with the wine. Each course was served family style for us all to share and the platters contained a portion for each of us of 4 or 5 menu items in that category (the portions were predivided and were smaller than full size but definitely ample for a meal when you had 4 or 5 at each course). We found everything on the menu and the service to be exceptional. They have some very ethnic items on this menu and it was exciting to try some things that were new to us and some cooking methods that were new to us. Our dinner mates were good fun and we all enjoyed the entire experience immensely. If you have specific questions, feel free to post back & I'll do my best to answer them.

Simba's Mom-
California Grill was excellent. We had a PS ressie & were brought up to the restaurant floor & seated right away. Our waiter was impeccable and the service both he & the fellows assisting him provided was top notch. This is definitely a service oriented restaurant with well trained staff. It seemed to be a full house when we were there, but you didn't notice it when seated at your table. It was crowded on the deck for the fireworks but once everyone went back to their table the crowd wasn't an intrusion at all.

As for food, we had the tuna sushi sampler and the four cheese flatbread as an appetizer. My husband had a salad (an interesting fall kind of salad with apples & field greens) and the filet. I had the squash soup and the pork tenderloin. For dessert we both had the Valrhona chocolate cake. Everything was just excellent (especially the cake...I about fell out of my chair even though I knew it would be good if it was made with Valrhona chocolate).

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer.

Tell me, please, about the Safari Dinner package. What time does it happen, whom do we call to book, and what is the price?

DH & I stayed at AKL in 2003 specifically for the early morning safari which we LOVED. They finished with a breakfast at Tuskers (YUM). Since we are bringing friends in Feb, this could be a wonderful treat for them.

Our friends also want to dine at Foulton's and we already have our PS for California Grill.

Thanks for your help and your wonderful dinning info.

Thanks for taking the time to post! I LOVE reading reviews - although they do tend to make me hungry!!!

Thanks for the info about Fulton's! Our anniversary is coming up in March and that sounds like it might be a perfect place to celebrate!

Enjoyed your reviews.

We love CG but Fulton has been on our never return list. It is nice to hear a good review of it. I've seen a number over the last year or so. Maybe service there really has changed.:D

Gosh, maybe we hit Fulton's on a good night? I had no idea they had a bad rap. We found all the staff to be extremely professional and the service to be great (as was the food). Hmm, perhaps we dodged a bullet there but we did enjoy ourselves equally as much as we did at CG.

Anyway, to answer your questions 2ofUs, the Wanyama safari is conducted twice a week (we went on Friday and I believe the other day for it is Tuesday but don't quote me on that). It is limited to 8 concierge guests, you meet at the concierge lounge at 3:45pm and we finished dinner around 8:00pm. The cost was $150 per person.

I probably sholud not have done the laughing thing about Fulton's:o but I know that Uncleromulus has had experiences similar to my husband's at Fulton's. I don't think I could get DH to return there unless I blindfolded him.:D Plus Fulton's replaced some restaurants that we enjoyed. But another ten years or so of good reviews and maybe we'll try it again. ;) I'm glad you had such a nice experience and others have posted some good experiences too.

The safari dinner sounds interesting. Were the portions on the family style platters sered to you by a waiter or did you pass it?

Hey, we've all had bad experiences (at Disney and elsewhere) so I can certainly understand the hilarity. No retractions needed.

As for the safari, we passed the platters but everything was already pre-portioned by the kitchen before it was served so it was very easy to take your portion & pass it on. There were leftovers at every course so there certainly would be enough for seconds if anyone wanted more.

MartDM

Is the Safari Dinner Package only for AKL guests or can it be booked seperately?

We are definately interested in doing this if we could.

The Safari Dinner package is only available to AKL Concierge guests.

It is definitely worth it though.........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter