Just back from DVC tour- got some juicy tidbits (rumors)

Ok, back on topic.........so did we agree on African or Asian elephants?

I mean sure, everyone knows that African elephants seasonally migrate, but Asian elephants are nocturnal. This could be used for EMH IMHO.

I mean if I was to say, hey.....you get up on a obviously migratory pachyderm and we will splish splash in a straight line between 2 points over swampy ground, I would imagine you daft.

Now, put me in a proper nocturnal beast and I'll show you how it's done.

:rotfl:

(with humble apologies to Monty Python)

I think for the sake of sticking with "thematic realism", you'd have to go with African elephants. I mean...AKL IS themed to an African game lodge, so...

The migratory issues can be overcome with pavlovian training, so I think I'd rather go that route than depend on sleepy elephants who might decide to nap on the way to and fro. Imagine the "traffic jam" AND subsequent clean up.

That was a "puzzler" I wrote for the AllEarsNet newsletter a few years ago.
From the plaza in front of MK it does look like the path goes to GF, but as noted by BroganMC it can't because of the canal for the Electrical Water Pageant floats ("Neptune's Lair"). They are easily seen to the left when riding the monorail from GF to MK. A pedestrian bridge would have to be high enough to allow the floats to pass underneath. It appears the only purpose to the path was to allow Disney to sell the bricks. But those more than a stone's throw from the MK plaza would seldom be seen. I'm not sure how far the "paid-for" bricks actually go. And I sometimes wonder how many guests have followed the path hoping to get to GF, and how far they got before realizing their mistake.

Count me in the number of those hornswaggled by the "path to nowhere". :) We took it once upon a time, and were pretty disturbed to find it went to that little "park" and nowhere else.

On the pedestrian bridge suggestion above, I agree...that's likely what stopped the path. I think they probably could have gotten around it much like they did at Epcot: Have the bridge simply "open" so the floats can pass through.....but that would likely mean sending cast member out to staff the bridge to ensure it was clear, etc. Maybe they decided it wasn't worth it, considering the relatively small number of guests that would choose the path over the other options (boat, bus) already offered.

OK, the worst, groan inducing elephant joke I've ever heard:

What's the difference between an elephant and a flea?

Elephants can have fleas, but fleas can't have elephants.

[crickets]

Yeah, well...I did warn you all.

OK, the worst, groan inducing elephant joke I've ever heard:

What's the difference between an elephant and a flea?

Elephants can have fleas, but fleas can't have elephants.

[crickets]

Yeah, well...I did warn you all.

Yes, bad joke, but no one can argue the logic....:rotfl2:

I know this piece of the discussion (people mover/elephant caravan) is all in good fun, but the above has me wondering:

Hypothetically, would the fact that AKL would offer bus service IN CONJUNCTION with the above proposed ideas be "enough" to comply with the ADA laws, do you think?

I don't know, I wonder how hard it would be to strap a wheelchair lift to an African Elephant?

Back door can mean LOTS of things....and from lots of places.

We're talking "door to door" because, regardless of the rumor (which, IMHO, is ONLY that...it's cropped up before as far back as the opening of AKL), it's the only "practical" solution anyone can see. Nobody has yet pointed out a practical alternative. That's why I asked you the question I did a few posts back: If it's "back door", how do you get guests to AKL's "back door" without disturbing the existing lodge's infrastructure, animals, and savannah.

And how/where do you put the "back door" at AK? And what's the reasoning behind that to justify Disney expending the resources to do it?

I would think the only way it would be possible is if they expanded animal kingdom park in the area behind camp minnie mickey where the mythical kingdom was supposed to be originally. Then I could see a gate to that area.

ok, so what do you get when you cross an elephant with a rhinoceros?

Helifino? :lmao:

What do you get when you cross a computer with a gorilla?

a hairy reasoner :cool1: :happytv: :rotfl2:

man, stop me, this is killing me...I mean it, please, stop me!!!!

I don't know, I wonder how hard it would be to strap a wheelchair lift to an African Elephant?

Well, it appears this HAS been done by someone/somewhere/somehow but.......well, ya know......;)

elephantwheelchair.jpg

in other news......

How can you tell the difference between a grape and an elephant if you're color blind?
Dance on it for a while. If you don't get any wine, it's an elephant.

:guilty:

I know this piece of the discussion (people mover/elephant caravan) is all in good fun, but the above has me wondering:

Hypothetically, would the fact that AKL would offer bus service IN CONJUNCTION with the above proposed ideas be "enough" to comply with the ADA laws, do you think?

It depends if the pacaderm caravan is termed an attraction or a transport device. If it's an attraction then the regulations do have a loophole for "feasibility". That's why though Mission: Space was built post-ADA (as well as Kali River Rapids) due to the nature of the ride it is not feasible to have a wheelchair-accessible vehicle. Although you would have to have some sort of accommodation for the disabled who can transfer from wheelchair (a lift loading platform for those who can't climb, seat belt restraints, delayed loading times, separate boarding areas, etc.). Of course you can get around it by having the elephants drag a cart behind them that can accept wheelchairs and less-able-to-climb guests.

If you classify this as transportation, then I'm pretty certain NTSB would be after them for not providing sufficient accommodations for the disabled. Oh and all wheelchairs would be required to be strapped down whether riding atop the elephant or behind him.

Being a new transport device and/or ride attraction, Disney would be required to fulfill all applicable ADA regs. No skating by on grandfather clauses as they do with much of MK's rides. (Incidentally this "new construction" requirement is why you see new rides have wider queues, more accessible vehicles, and resorts have zero entry pools, pool lifts and bump stairs. Pools are required to have two of the three forms of accessible entry. Spas are required to have pool lifts.)

The government has gotten very strict with ADA enforcement. Anytime you construct something new (or reconstruct it), you have to provide accommodation. It's a pain for those who just want to make a slight improvement to their facilities, but it's really the only way people like me can be assured we're included in the design. I hear lots of complaints from church groups who get caught in the regs, but I have little sympathy. In my solution of dragging the cart, you see there's usually an easy solution to satisfy the regs with minimal cost and maximum creativity.

Apologies in advance for that gloating sound emanating from your puters.

It now looks like the Hawaii DVC is a reality too. This brings the rumor "hit-rate" up to 50% (California DVC & now Hawaii DVC).

Now just waiting for Mexican Riviera DVC and that pesky walking trail from AKL/AKV to DAK.......I need closure...... :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter