Just back from DVC tour- got some juicy tidbits (rumors)

:lmao: personally? pleasssssssssssssssse. maybe thats what you desire but it aint gonna happen! buts lets be honest, the 2 of you, (who by the way are the only 2 who continue to to protest the walkway so vigorously) are so wrapped up in trying to convince me it wont happen you cant even acknowledge the pro's for a walkway

Not true. I think (actually, I know) I've said there are pro's...they're just outweighed, massively, by the potential cons. And I suspect (but don't know) the "pro's" we're talking about don't appeal to ENOUGH guests to make their implementation cost effective. I've also said repeatedly we can just agree to disagree on that point. You seem loathe to let it go, though.

And in the end, that's what the impetus is to making the decision.

In case you missed the other posters while you were trying to dismiss my opinions there were otheres saying not only would it be a good idea but they would also use it

I've seen posters on both sides of the issue post their views. So what?

Itsnot really worth debating then anymore. I have agreed, several times, the overall project probably wont take place anytime soon. I have agreed there are the potential pitfalls; a building, little swampy, cost, etc

but neither of you can even acknowledge the benefits of a path

Not true. We've pointed out that the "benefits" might apply to too small a population to be worthwhile OR are outweighed by the cons that accompany them.

so again you keep saying cost effective, yet you dont know the cost or the benefits. so how can you just keep saying its not cost effective?

I cant get into cost analysis because I dont the info, all I can go by is otheres resorts. Other resorts have paths. People use paths. People use them to bike, walk, jog.

thats it, thats the only facts outs there
again unless yo are privy to some inside cost/benefit info
(or those surveys you keep referring to;)

We also know a couple other things:

There is no path currently.

Paths at previous resorts were built or were planned for before, or as, construction began.

As for being cost effective, I think we've laid out why it MIGHT NOT be cost effective. I don't think anyone has talked in absolutes. You have yet to counter that argument with why you think it would be. We've pointed out why the benefits you've proposed either might not be valuable or might not be valuable to ENOUGH people to make their implementation worthwhile. You can't disprove that (nor can I prove it), and seem reluctant to just concede the point and just agree to disagree

In any event, we're talking in circles now. Unless there's something "new" brought up in the discussion, I've said my piece and will move on.

All of this talk about walking paths got me wondering about the walk from the GF to MK and then over to the Contemporary. I think there has to be very light foot traffic from GF to the MK. Has anyone ever done that walk? I'm not sure if that's really considered a walking path (from GF to CR) but it is a considerable hike. I do think that once Contemporary Villas opens, there will be more people walking to the MK than there were before.

I don't believe there actually is a path that extends all the way from the MK to the GF. There is a path that heads from the MK TOWARD the GF, but viewing it from the monorail it appears to be a "pathway to nowhere." It ends in a simple cul de sac about half way to the resort. Disney once had plans to build a pathway all the way around the Seven Seas Lagoon using those brick pavers purchased by guests, but apparently sales weren't what they had anticipated.

CR is much closer to the MK. The bus drop-off points are about half way between the CR and the MK, so take the amount of time it takes to walk from the bus to the gate and double it. 5-6 min?

Traffic from the CR to MK probably won't increase to any great degree because the new CR structure is replacing an old one. The old North Garden Wing held about 300 rooms while the new Suites / Villas structure is said to contain about 350 units. Based upon the plans, the new rooms appear to be more spacious but may not host many more guests than the old.

Two words..........

PEOPLE MOVER

Talk amongst yourselves.....

j/k

popcorn::

Brilliant!

How can we theme it to fit AKV and DAK? Let's imagineer it!

I say we theme it like the train to Raffiki's Planet Watch at DAK.

We could turn the ride from AKV/AKL into an exclusive "Back-lot Tour".
People mover type system would make swamp-land a non-factor.

We ride this train everytime we go to AK, yet have never gotten off the train to actually see what is at Planet Watch :lmao: .......DS6 loves trains.....he loves the Peoplemover too (as do I lots of memories-nostalgia).

Stick a coupla fake animals along the route.......the kids would love it. Keep that sense of anticipation building all the way to the park.

My family would stay almost exclusively at AKV/AKL just to ride the durn thing...... I do not think we would be alone.

Definitely not a "cost effective" solution but it would be neato....

I have a different idea, since cost is no object, and keeping within the AKL theaming, how about an elephant caravan?

Not saying it will happen, but could it happen? Absolutely!:confused3

I have a different idea, since cost is no object, and keeping within the AKL theaming, how about an elephant caravan?

Great idea!!

But can you imagine the clean up?!!??

And the soundtrack could be "Colonel Hathi's March", over and over and over........

:dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo:

1. Would they use Asian or African elephants? Would they be required to link tails and lumber around "In a Mil-i-tar-y waaaaaaay" (stop singing MrMan)?
2. How would we handle a fabled "white elephant" if it was there? Would this be considered a "prefered" elephant?
3. Would they allow Dumbo to play their "elephant games"?
4. This is probably the cheapest option of all.....I mean it would be peanuts to feed 'em!
5. Would they have a FASTPASS for this ride or a PASSGAS (all those peanuts).
6. Anyone heard any elephant jokes lately? I have one.

Q: Why do ducks have webbed feet.
A: to stamp out forest fires.
2nd Q: Why do elephants have flat feet.
2nd A: To stamp our burning ducks.

And I thank you..........
:rotfl2:

6. Anyone heard any elephant jokes lately? I have one.

Q: Why do ducks have webbed feet.
A: to stamp out forest fires.
2nd Q: Why do elephants have flat feet.
2nd A: To stamp our burning ducks.

And I thank you..........
:rotfl2:

Q: How do you fit six elephants in a Volkswagen.
A: Three in the front, and three in the back.
I know it's stupid, that was a trademark of elephant jokes!

I don't believe there actually is a path that extends all the way from the MK to the GF. There is a path that heads from the MK TOWARD the GF, but viewing it from the monorail it appears to be a "pathway to nowhere." It ends in a simple cul de sac about half way to the resort. Disney once had plans to build a pathway all the way around the Seven Seas Lagoon using those brick pavers purchased by guests, but apparently sales weren't what they had anticipated.

I never knew that. I've seen the path from the monorail station so many times and I always thought that it connected with GF.

CR is much closer to the MK. The bus drop-off points are about half way between the CR and the MK, so take the amount of time it takes to walk from the bus to the gate and double it. 5-6 min?

We walked from the bus at MK to the CR for dinner last month and it was a hot 8-10 minutes with a short stop at a traffic light. My son has some difficulty walking long distances (we rent him a wheelchair for the parks) so we do walk slower than most groups. Still even though MK is close to CR, it would be nice if the MK bus could also stop at the resort in the morning/evening for anyone going to the restaurants. We once had a nice bus driver who actually did just that for us. It really helped.

Traffic from the CR to MK probably won't increase to any great degree because the new CR structure is replacing an old one. The old North Garden Wing held about 300 rooms while the new Suites / Villas structure is said to contain about 350 units. Based upon the plans, the new rooms appear to be more spacious but may not host many more guests than the old.

Never thought of it that way. I guess there wouldn't be that many more people. It is hard to believe that the proposed big ugly concrete/steel building that I've seen pictures of is only 50 units larger than the demolished wing.

I don't believe there actually is a path that extends all the way from the MK to the GF. There is a path that heads from the MK TOWARD the GF, but viewing it from the monorail it appears to be a "pathway to nowhere." It ends in a simple cul de sac about half way to the resort.

Good, I'm not crazy. I didn't think there was a path. Not when you have the canal for the EWP interrupting the land from MK to GF.

On the other side, isn't there a sizable waterway between CR and the TTC. Also a sinkhole where a proposed resort was abandoned? That's why VWL is where it is.

As for the people mover/elephant caravan, cute idea but then you have to consider the ADA laws interjecting their way in. All new rides must have accommodation for guests like me. They could run another train like the Conservation Station, but then isn't that mass transportation too? Needs to be staffed, the route maintained and thus needs sufficient demand to be cost effective.

Now if Disney was to build a shopping complex north of AK (along the Western Way) and wanted to do a mini-monorail/train loop between AKL-AK-Shopping Complex, I'd see the increased value to the company. (I'd also be inclined to want to stay/own there.)

I think the sole reason there's an active ferry system at SSR, OKW and POR is that there's an equally active commercial area at DTD. The ferry system is the most efficient way for those resort guests to go spend money at DTD and the other resorts. The only reason there are walking paths from OKW is because that land is developed as a golf course.

On the same token when CR was built wasn't the monorail designed as part of Walt's idea to transport MK guests from the parking lots to the park? So the monorail serviced CR guests as well as park guests with that open A-Frame seen as another form of ride attraction for park guests.

Q: How do you fit six elephants in a Volkswagen.
A: Three in the front, and three in the back.
I know it's stupid, that was a trademark of elephant jokes!

:lmao:

Q: What did Jane say when she saw the elephants coming?
A: Here come the elephants.

Q: What did Tarzan say when he saw the elephants coming?
A: Here come the plums (he was colorblind).......

Ok, back on topic.........so did we agree on African or Asian elephants?

I mean sure, everyone knows that African elephants seasonally migrate, but Asian elephants are nocturnal. This could be used for EMH IMHO.

I mean if I was to say, hey.....you get up on a obviously migratory pachyderm and we will splish splash in a straight line between 2 points over swampy ground, I would imagine you daft.

Now, put me in a proper nocturnal beast and I'll show you how it's done.

:rotfl:

(with humble apologies to Monty Python)

We walked from the bus at MK to the CR for dinner last month and it was a hot 8-10 minutes with a short stop at a traffic light. My son has some difficulty walking long distances (we rent him a wheelchair for the parks) so we do walk slower than most groups.

Your memory may well be more accurate than mine. The closest I came to making that walk was staying at the BoardWalk and riding a bus to the MK for a dinner reservation at Chef Mickey's. In our case, the BW bus took over an hour to get to the MK, making us nearly late for our reservation. Oh, and it had just started to rain as we arrived at the MK, too.

That time we probably did make it from the MK bus stop to the CR in about 3 minutes, but I won't try to draw a mental pciture of how we looked in doing it. ;)

As I return at end of day,
I choose to try a different way.
A friendly path leads me astray.
Some names and dates; why did they pay?

It isn't right, it isn't fair,
But this path just won't take me there!
It stops me next to Neptune’s lair.
To cross requires quite a stair;

But it’s not there! To reach my bed,
I should have taken the boat instead.

That was a "puzzler" I wrote for the AllEarsNet newsletter a few years ago.
From the plaza in front of MK it does look like the path goes to GF, but as noted by BroganMC it can't because of the canal for the Electrical Water Pageant floats ("Neptune's Lair"). They are easily seen to the left when riding the monorail from GF to MK. A pedestrian bridge would have to be high enough to allow the floats to pass underneath. It appears the only purpose to the path was to allow Disney to sell the bricks. But those more than a stone's throw from the MK plaza would seldom be seen. I'm not sure how far the "paid-for" bricks actually go. And I sometimes wonder how many guests have followed the path hoping to get to GF, and how far they got before realizing their mistake.

Ok, I'll play----

Q. What do you do with an elephant with three balls?

A. Walk him, and pitch to the rhinoceros.

Why? What were YOU guys thinking?:rotfl2:

As for the people mover/elephant caravan, cute idea but then you have to consider the ADA laws interjecting their way in. All new rides must have accommodation for guests like me. They could run another train like the Conservation Station, but then isn't that mass transportation too? Needs to be staffed, the route maintained and thus needs sufficient demand to be cost effective.

I know this piece of the discussion (people mover/elephant caravan) is all in good fun, but the above has me wondering:

Hypothetically, would the fact that AKL would offer bus service IN CONJUNCTION with the above proposed ideas be "enough" to comply with the ADA laws, do you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter