Just back - Great dining plan experiences

PrincessTrisha

DIS Veteran
I do plan on doing a full report of the meals we enjoyed but I just wanted to answer a few of the questions that are out there.

At the resorts, most of the CM's are unsure about what now constitutes a snack. However, just bring up any food item under $4 and have them run it through, the computer will tell them if it is accepted as a snack credit (I was able to get big bags of chip / sun chips / doritos / cheesies as 1 snack credit as well as the boxes of donuts and mini donuts). No CM had a problem doing this for me.

Around the parks what is / is not a snack credit seems to be better defined by the small d/p symbol. For instance, at the refreshment port near Canada in Epcot, almost everything is considered a snack - McFlurries, Nescafe lattes, chicken nuggets, french fries - and they are all clearly marked with the little symbol.

At counter service meals if you don't specify what size of drink, they give you a medium. If you want a large, make sure to order it. Since my mom and I split most counter service meals (and it was so hot out), I made sure to place my order as "Turkey Panini, Large diet coke (with no ice - just a little quirk of mine!) and the cannoli - oh and I am on the ddp. Thanks." There was never an issue and I was never denied a large drink.

I experienced very good service and never felt second class when using the plan. I would alway mention it to the server before ordering and usually all they said was "Okay, you get an appetizer, entree and dessert and your drink." They didn't really seem to care if it was the plan or not. Only at Planet Hollywood did they ask for the card at the beginning of the meal, the rest of the time they took it at the end.

I never experienced any difficulty getting things packed up to go. The only stipulation seemed to be that they first had to bring it to the table, and then they could pack it up (this happened with our desserts at both Olivia's and Kona). I also carried around a couple of ziploc bags for small leftovers or when space in my bag was at a premium.

At the food courts I was always able to get fruit as my dessert, in fact where ever they had fruit bowls I was able to get it as my dessert. But I would not recommend expecting fruit as dessert everywhere, especially if it is not offered on the regular menu.

Note that some food courts (specifically POFQ) do not stock bottles of pop. This means that if you buy a mug but want a drink to take with you, it will have to be juice, water or lemonade.

Although I stayed at OKW, because we had a car, I decided to use the food court at POFQ. I decided to buy mugs and still found them to be a good value since it was still convenient to stop buy before and after the parks and on our days off from the parks to get a drink. Also, since we used many of our counter service meals there, I was able to get juice and water for later.

Any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer.

Thanks for posting! You gave lots of great information!

I have a question....when you say you got bags of doritos, sunchips, boxes of doughnuts, etc...where did you get those? Are they in the food court or in the store/gift shop? Thanks!
Katy :sunny:

Thank you sooo much, Tricia. Your post makes my planning headache fade fast!!!

Glad you had a good trip!!

Katy Belle said:
Thanks for posting! You gave lots of great information!

I have a question....when you say you got bags of doritos, sunchips, boxes of doughnuts, etc...where did you get those? Are they in the food court or in the store/gift shop? Thanks!
Katy :sunny:

I got them in the gift shop at OKW and the Polynesian. None of them were marked with the dining plan symbol in any way but the CM's at the desk told me to try anything under $4 (before tax) and they would run it through to check if the computer would accept it as a snack.

Thanks for the review. I see you're from Scarborough...I used to teach at Thomson Collegiate. :) Now we live near London.

Can't wait to use the DDP. :cheer2:

Beth

Trisha-thanks for the great report! :thumbsup2 Sept. will be our 3rd time on DDP and I'm still learning the tricks! :rotfl2: Good idea about the large sodas-my mom and I share our meals alot too! :goodvibes

:thanks: again! Look forward to hearing more.

That's great that it worked out so well for you! We just got back from using the dining plan for the first time and will never go back without it. Also I noticed too that a lot of places had everything marked as a snack I couldn't be more happy that the Dole whips were a snack credit :teeth:

:thumbsup2 WOW!!!THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
I CUT AND PASTED YOUR THREAD AND SENT IT TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO ARE GOING WITH ME ON THE DDP......YOU ARE A THREAD FROM ABOVE!!!! :wizard:

THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter