• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back, with 4 days' worth of reviews

travelbug

DIS Veteran
Just back from a getaway with my sister. We had a great time trying out new places, as well as returning to one or two favorites. We ate breakfast in the room each day, so here's where we ate lunch and dinner during our 4 days.

Columbia Harbour House at MK - We both had the Galley Garden Salad, which is a favorite of ours. Delicious as always, and plenty filling. Neither of us specified a particular salad dressing, but I did say "dressing on the side." Well, mine on the side was raspberry vinaigrette (yum) while my sister's dressing on the salad turned out to be caesar. Kind of odd, but we both were happy. The upstairs seating area was quiet as always, and we enjoyed "people watching" out the upstairs window.

Hollywood & Vine at MGM - First time for either of us here. We loved it! We went for dinner, so it was not a character meal. There is a great variety on the buffet, and we enjoyed sampling a little bit of many things. The hot food was plenty hot and the cold food seemed nice and fresh. Of course we saved a little room for the great dessert table. :D I've read mixed reviews of this place on the boards, but we totally enjoyed our dinner there. Hope to go back sometime.

Flame Tree BBQ at AK - Sis had the BBQ chicken salad, and I had the BBQ chicken sandwich with corn on the cob and baked beans. Very tasty, although I didn't notice the extra BBQ sauces at the condiment table until I was done with my sandwich. :rolleyes: But I still enjoyed it. We loved the seating down by the river.

Turkey leg at MGM - This was an item that neither of us cared for. It smelled good, but it didn't sit well with either of us. Probably won't get one again.

Brown Derby at MGM - We had lunch here and tried the original Cobb Salad. Loved the atmosphere, and the service was excellent. We were surprised by the Cobb Salad when it arrived. Didn't realize that the lettuce is so finely chopped and that there's not really that much of it. Definitely different from Cobb Salads that you see in other restaurants. It tasted great though, and we were glad we tried it. Not sure if I'd order it again. I'd probably try something else next time.

Cosmic Ray's at MK - We decided to get burgers & fries to eat while staking out our spot for Spectromagic. The burger was actually very good, and the fries were not greasy.

La Cantina at Epcot - Each of us got the combination plate, which includes a taco, a burrito, and a quesadilla. Last time I ate there, the food was barely warm. This time it was hot and tasty. We ate outside along the water and enjoyed the gorgeous weather.

Lotus Blossum at Epcot - Neither of us was terribly hungry, so each of us ordered a child's meal. It included fried rice with beef, an egg roll, and a small drink. Very good, and it was just enough to satisfy us.

We had a great trip, and enjoyed our eating out experiences. :D

Did you try the Grapefruit cake at Brown Derby? I've always wanted to try it!

Since the Cobb at the Derby is supposed to be "original" that's the way to eat it--and the way I like it.
But you are right--most restaurants have their own versions of the Cobb, so you might find all manner of ingrediants and preparation.

Originally posted by Harambe
Did you try the Grapefruit cake at Brown Derby? I've always wanted to try it!
No, we didn't try it. It sounds interesting, and I know people rave about it. Maybe next time! :D

Can you get the "grapefruit cake" anywhere else in MGM other than Brown Derby?

For sharing your review's I enjoyed reading them.::yes:: ::MickeyMo :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter