Just Found Out about GAY DAYS!!!

Its ironic how tolerant some people are until they run across somebody who has a different opinion about tolerance than they do. If you are truly tolerant, you won't tell somebody else what they should and shouldn't do, provided they aren't hurting anyone else.

Parents have the right to decide when and where to expose their children to different things, and when to explain those things. True, you cannot avoid gay people at MK even if you tried. But being there when the 3% who are gay are merely another group blending with everybody else is far different than going on Gay Day.

Somebody tried to equate Gay Day to Grad Night, but that was a poor analogy because Grad Night is a private party that takes place after the park closes to the public. Surely there are some people who would rather not go to MK if it were Punk Rock Day, or Teenager Day, White Supremecists Day, or whatever group there is that you feel uncomfortable being around. (I've seen numerous posts about people who try to avoid cheerleader events...) As long as the group does nothing illegal, they have every right to have their day if they choose to. If someone prefers to choose a different day to go, they are neither right nor wrong, they are merely excercising the same rights as somebody who chooses to go that day. If you would not be bothered by any group on the planet, that's great. You've made your choice, just as everybody else makes theirs.

For those who are concerned, for whatever reason, there is a website that has the events for that week. www.gayday.com

There are other activities besides Gay Day at the MK, but from other posts I've read, the effects on the size of the crowds is only felt on Saturday (MK).

I agree with you, RaiderMatt!!!

And to think that this thread has received so much play is next to amazing...

I suppose it has a lot to do with what you are saying...

But, I am glad to hear the "moderates" make their points...

;)

Wow! What a difference a few weeks makes. We posted about this a while back and we got slammed as if we were some kind of Bible thumping white sheet wearing cave dwellers. Nice to see everyone has lightened up a bit.:p

nalley clan
That's the way of the DIS...not sure I read the thread you are talking about! But things are aways changing...
Oh and welcome to the DIS! If it hasn't been done before!

Nalley clan -- your thread wasn't too bad. Most people gave you helpful answers! Hang out on the DIS a bit more (BTW, welcome!), and you will learn that some people just like to cause trouble. you can ignore them & just pay attention to the people who want to answer your questions & not teach you a lesson.

Although I personally have no problem with gay days (or "straight" days), I do think there are some parenting decisions that each family has to make for themselves. This includes explaining about gay couples & no one can tell you when it is the right time.

It may depend on where you live or what your kids will be exposed to in their daily lives. We have gay friends, so I expect that my 18 month old will start asking questions sooner than other kids. I guess I'd better figure out what to say soon :)

Wow am I glad to be back and see how well you're all getting along!!! I'll tell you my stomache tightened when I saw this post. I was expecting to have to haul all your behinds over to the Debate Board like in past years!LOL! Everyone is making their point without getting catty.Thanks DISers!!!
I've been to the parks with my son,he's 8 now, during Gay Days and avoiding the crowd is my biggest worry.I agree with Gillian that there are parenting decisions families have to make for themselves and it's nobody's business but their own when and how they do it.I grew up Catholic in a very small Indiana town.Things use to be pretty black and white to me.The older I get,the more I LIVE life the more I see the shades of gray. It's tough being a parent but I try to teach my son to see the good in all people.Jen Jayhawk the Chief shirt thing was a scream! Thanks for the laugh!
Anyway folks thanks for playing nice.I also recommened checking out the Gay Days link to see where activities are on certain days to avoid crowds.
Thanks!

OK, well, how about a real, actual (gasp!), gay person weighing into this discussion. I agree, parents should make the decision as to when and how to explain things to their children, it is their responsibility. Please remember, though, that many of us will be at WDW with our biological family members and certainly don't want or expect to see anything too outrageous. Mom and I usually go during this time of year, and I've never seen anything that would make me feel uncomfortable or embarrassed, and I'm a little on the conservative side when it comes to public behavior. We expect the same respect from you at the parks that you want from us. We're there to enjoy what WDW has to offer.
'
What never ceases to amaze me, though, is that the folks that are most against a minority group don't hesitate to accept the good things that that group has to offer. For instance, if you hate Jewish people, please don't take the polio vaccine. If you are against gay people, don't enjoy the art of Michaelangelo. After all, if you can't "accept" someone, why should you accept the good and beauty they bring to humanity?

And please remember that on this board, you don't know who you may be having a conversation with, this board is very good about accepting diversity and is much like a family. I hope no one decides that hate and prejudice should replace love as a "Family Value".

We had to change the dates for our upcoming trip and we opted not to go the first week of June, but because of the heat and the crowds. I can't imagine not going just because of "Gay Days". I consider myself very lucky to have been raised in a very open minded family. I also consider myself lucky to have a mother-in-law who is a lesbian. I think my 4yo daughter is lucky to be raised with tolerance, open mindedness and respect for others. She has such a special relationship with her grandma and though she recently broke up with her long time girlfriend, my daughter knew her as grandmas friend. I would never think of trying to explain to a 2-3yo about the relationship between her grandma and her friend. I do now tell my daughter and my lil sis who is 10yo that, sometimes people of the same gender feel about each other as I do with my husband, they are no different than anyone else. It is simply not a big deal to our famliy. I guess it is normal for us.
This subject is very "touchy" for me right now. My husband and I recently lost a very good friend of ours who happened to be a gay man. Do you know what almost everyone I know(outside of our families) asked me when I told them my friend died at age 36? Oh, AIDS right!!!??? I can't tell you how angry that has made me. He died of cancer, just because he was gay doesn't mean he has aids. I guess it amazes me how far this world has come in alot of areas, but there are still so many close minded, ignorant people.
Every parent has the right to explain what they want and what their values and beliefs are to their children. Sheltering a child will only backfire. Teaching children ignorence only breeds more ignorence.(I'm not pointing a finger at anyone here, just trying to make a point.) I have met some very wonderful gay people in my life and am greatful that I had the opportunity to have people in my life I would have otherwised missed an opportunity to know.

To answer the question originally asked -- we've been at wdw on gay day the past three years and even went to the MK two of them! We saw absolutely nothing that bothered us. A young child will NOT know that there is anything unusual about the day. Our youngest (4, 5 and 6 at the time) did not have a single question. A young child will notice nothing unless you make a big deal out of it. Adolescents, on the other hand, will have plenty of questions because their brains are preoccupied with sex, differences, fitting in, etc. -- we actually thought it provided a great opportunity to discuss homosexuality with our child. Just remember that the people in red shirts are there for the same reason as you -- to have fun at Disney World.

DESNIck...I am sorry for your loss...

I am so happy to see a debate of honest to goodness differences of opinions, without it getting ugly...Bravo to everyone...

As for the red shirts...check out Jennifer Jayhawk's post..puts things in perspective...

Again, its up to the parents to decide when and where to explain things. Sure, you'll get thrown a curveball now and then, but if a parent doesn't want to explain this to their, 8 year old or 12-year old yet, that's their right. And it doesn't mean they are raising them to be intolerant. Tar Heel, for example, felt comfortable explaining homosexuality to their child at WDW, and it worked fine for them. It someone else would rather have this conversation at a later date, there's nothing wrong with doing their best to avoid the situation until then. Its really no different than any other topic.

Probably what the original poster wants to know is will they see hand-holding, kissing, etc.

Having not been to WDW at this time (though we will be this year) I can't answer for sure. But from reading other posts, it sounds like it'll be similar to what you'd expect from heterosexuals, meaning some hand-holding, kissing, etc. (Feel free to correct me if this is wrong)

So based on that, do what you think is best for you and your family. My son is 3 1/2, so I'm not too concerned about him asking any questions. We were at a Paramount Park on a day that turned out to be a "gay day" of some kind, and we didn't see anything other than hand-holding/kissing. There were a few explicit t-shirts, and even a few leather outfits, but I'm guessing it will be a little tamer at Disney.

We were going to avoid MK on June 1st completely, mainly due to the crowds, but since Spectro is only running once a week at this time, we plan to go to MK late in the afternoon.

Who needs to watch TV or go o the movies when you have The Dis?!? Any and every feeling, including all the mixed ones I have, have been represented here so there's no real need for me "to go there" but I guess I'm going to anyway. I am someone who was "awakened" recently when a close friend felt comfortable enough with a few friends to "come out of the closet". Nothing changed, like they feared it would. Most of us were pretty sure already anyway. This "revelation" was NOTHING compared to their most recent news. They have since found out that they have a very serious, neuromuscular disease. Life is SO short. The world is in chaos right now and it's even made it's way right here in our own back yard (i.e. NYC, DC). If I've learned nothing else in my short 40 years I've learned that it is ALWAYS better to love than to hate. We need to be looking at the big picture and start thinking what this world is going to come to if we don't embrace tolerance, individuality, respect and love. Otherwise, when we are gone and our children are still here, our world and life as we know it will be no better, only worse. It will only be worse because we chose to look the other way and "shelter and protect" them when we should have been trying to teach them to open their hearts so hopefully they won't turn out like us. I've been rambling but you know what I mean.
Susan

Our family was at WDW last year during "Gay Days". We didn't go to the MK on Saturday because we had heard of the heavy crowds, but we were staying at the POLY and rode the monorail around to the TTC at near park opening time.

My youngest DD, who had just turned 9, saw all the red shirts. "Look Mom- all those people are on a field trip together - I bet they're gonna have fun" was her comment. We agreed, that "yes, we think they will too." (At her school, the students all wear their school T-shirts on field trips to make the kids easier to spot in big crowds.)

My 13 year old knew what was going on, but there was no reason to go into any big discussion with her because I have tried to be very open with her in explaining and talking about sexuality issues with her. She was much more confused when she saw Michael Jackson recently on TV!

We enjoyed our day at Epcot & except for the June Florida heat saw nothing embarrassing or objectionable. We live in Oklahoma now, I grew up here in a very small town, was raised Southern Baptist & have even been a registered Republican. ;) I didn't feel the atmosphere was objectionable in any way. But then again, I feel openness, honesty & a restraint in our human tendancy to judge others are important values to teach my kids.:D

There seems to be a little angst about "explaining things"-- I guess I just haven't found it as nail-biting as some. My daughter is 4 1/2, and the questions get answered as they come; I don't offer extra information unless asked. When she noticed a friend of hers had two mommies and no daddy, I just told her all families are different; some people have a mommy and a daddy, some people have two mommies, some have two daddies, some have just one mom or one dad, and families come in all shapes and sizes, etc. We haven't really gotten into the issue of romantic attraction yet- it doesn't really interest her personally, she is more interest in how it relates to her as a kid. We do have gay friends, and they occasionally come over with dates, or partners, but we don't really bother to explain it any more than we bother to explain the dating habits of our hetero friends.

When she does get interested in the "romantic" aspect of things, I guess I'll just say that some men fall in love with women and some men fall in love with men and so on.

But we're just a bunch of NYC liberals don't mind us :D :D :D :D :D

rascal mom wrote:
She was much more confused when she saw Michael Jackson recently on TV!

I still get confused when I see Michael Jackson on TV. :D

when i first saw this posting...i said to myself "pls. let this not turn into that ever present hostile debate, the gays are here! the gays are here!" i was very surprised it did not become that :) I have been to GayDays the last 3 years (yes, i am gay) and rediscovered what I loved about Disney as a child. So much so that my other half and taken several quick trips to get our disney fix over the last 3 years. And when I discoverd this site I have visited every days (I am hooked :D

Should you reschedule your trip?? No, but if you really dislike crowds avoid the MK on saturday. Every person realizes this is a family park and yes there are those who forget and dress inappropriately (we all cringe at that). However, my favorite disney photo opt. was when i saw a very,very mature woman from belguim (i heard her speaking) wearing a bikini top and something best described as "daisy dukes" at MGM....point is every group has there members that you just shake your head at. You will see hand holding, pecks on the cheek, but I have never seen anyone do what some of the people are afraid will be happening. everyone is there to ride the rides, see the parades, take pictures with the characters (my favorite is Tigger), and be exhausted by the end of the day, and wonder if you can really walk on blisters for another hour.

As the parent it's your call. However, if it's between seeing to 2 guys hold hands and seeing Mickey Mouse...my money is on your child going to the Mouse. That's where I'll be going too (i need to get a new Mickey and Me photo).

anyway, that's my .02 worth and I am counting the days. Oh, on June 1, saturday, I'll be the one in the red shirt, shorts (white linen), and teva sandals (thanks to this website these things are soooooo comfortable). :bounce: :D

Roque, I see this is your first post, unless you're using an alias (although with the new 1 name per e-mail address rules it makes it less likely). Welcome to the DIS!!
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Welcome to the dis, roque. I lived in Dallas for seven years. I miss the Mexican food.

Roque I'll be the one in the purpel Jazzy wheelchair. Where your lime green ribbon and maybe we'll meet

Y'all, Thank you for the Welcome (is that Texan enough?) :D
I'll be sure to wear a lime green ribbon and look forward to saying HI:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter