Just got approved!!

Eventer98

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone!! I'm just too excited to keep our news to myself...we got approved today for preferred financing thru Disney for 160pts. at SSR!! We were offered 2006 points and originally I told her no..we would just go for the 2007. But after talking to DH we thought it MAY be a good route. We are going to WDW in June for our honeymoon and staying at Shades of Green..$80/night, no tax. We also have to pay $115 for a towncar since we can't get ME. We figured that using 2006 points in June would be about $300 cheaper (after you account for the dues) then staying at SOG. The catch is finding out if there is a studio DVC avail for then..obviously it's short notice. But we don't care what resort. So I have a call into my guide..hoping there is a way to find out what's avail. BEFORE we sign for 06 points. We're not going again until Dec 08 so if we can't use 06 in June they would go to waste. Does this make sense? :laughing: Anyone have any tips?? Can my guide tell me this?? How long after they get my dep. can I make a res? Sorry for all the questions..I am just super excited!!! :banana:

Congratulations & Welcome Home!!! :cool1:

If my memory serves me, when we bought into the BCV, we were trying to make a similar decision, & they were able to tell me availability. I am certain someone else will be able to tell you how soon you'll be able to make the reservation...I seem to remember being able to do it quickly, but it's been quite a few years ago so don't quote me on that one! :)

At any rate, enjoy your many years of vacations...we have never regretted our purchase!

Thanks!! I just checked the WDW website and according to that they do have availability at the DVC resorts. So now I'm just anxious to hear back from my guide..she said she was checking her voicemail tomorrow!!

Congratulations! :woohoo:

FWIW - I spoke with my guide last week and was told that for add-ons the 2006 points are included and the MF's were paid for 2006 and would be prorated for 2007. I was also told that we should be able to book a ressie within about 48 hours of making our deposit. Again, we are already members and this is for an add-on, so it may be a little different for initial purchase.

Welcome to the neighborhood!:yay:

Hmm..that would be even better if dues were paid. I better write that down as a question for her!! When you say you could make a res. within 48 hours was that after the small deposit or the 10% down?? Thanks!!!

That's a good question. We aren't planning to finance our add-on, and I think they mentioned something about a $500 deposit, which is less than 10%. I guess you'll need to clarify that with your guide.

Thinking back to when we first purchased, we received points for the prior UY also and DVC paid the MF's for that year, so I think you've got a decent shot at that...but definitely bring it up.

Disney gives you current Use Year points with your purchase. So if you purchase a contract with a Use Year Month that is still in its 2006 Use Year (Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct or Dec), your contract starts with 2006 Use Year points. If you purchase a contract with a Use Year Month that is in its 2007 Use Year (Feb, Mar, Apr) then your contract starts with 2007 Use Year points. So the issue of whether or not you get 2006 points depends on which Use Year you purchase.

That's what the guide was saying...originally she knew that we weren't going to use points until 12/08 so was going to get us an April UY and 2007 pts. We definetly want those 2006 points now so we'll see what happens! :goodvibes

That's what the guide was saying...originally she knew that we weren't going to use points until 12/08 so was going to get us an April UY and 2007 pts. We definetly want those 2006 points now so we'll see what happens! :goodvibes
Do you get a reduced price if you purchase a contract that starts with 2007 points instead of 2006 points? I'm not familiar with the incentives available for new members purchasing SSR contracts. I know there is a $10/pt price incentive (bringing the price down to $94/pt) but am not familiar with any other special offers.

If there are no special deals available for giving up a year's worth of points, then whether you purchase a contract that comes with 2006 points (Jun-Dec UY) or a contract that starts with 2007 UY points (Feb-Apr UY), your cost is exactly the same. You will pay the same amount of pro-rated dues in either case -- starting from the day you get your points in your account. So I don't see any good reason to give up the 2006 points unless you preferred a Feb, Mar or Apr Use Year and it was important enough to you to give up 160 points to get it.

Do you get a reduced price if you purchase a contract that starts with 2007 points instead of 2006 points? I'm not familiar with the incentives available for new members purchasing SSR contracts. I know there is a $10/pt price incentive (bringing the price down to $94/pt) but am not familiar with any other special offers.

If there are no special deals available for giving up a year's worth of points, then whether you purchase a contract that comes with 2006 points (Jun-Dec UY) or a contract that starts with 2007 UY points (Feb-Apr UY), your cost is exactly the same. You will pay the same amount of pro-rated dues in either case -- starting from the day you get your points in your account. So I don't see any good reason to give up the 2006 points unless you preferred a Feb, Mar or Apr Use Year and it was important enough to you to give up 160 points to get it.

It is the same price either way....the only drawback for us was if we can't get into a DVC resort for this June we aren't taking another vacation until 12/08 so even if we banked we couldn't use them in time. We are going to try and start a family in the next year...hence why no traveling til 08. Am I am correct in my thoughts?? Or would I go with 06 points regardless?? They overwhelmed me with options when I called and it is taking me a bit to process! :laughing: UY is not important to us at all..we plan to travel during diff. months each trip.

Does anyone know what the price of DDP is per day? I couldn't find it listed anywhere on WDW's website.

It is the same price either way....the only drawback for us was if we can't get into a DVC resort for this June we aren't taking another vacation until 12/08 so even if we banked we couldn't use them in time. We are going to try and start a family in the next year...hence why no traveling til 08. Am I am correct in my thoughts?? Or would I go with 06 points regardless?? They overwhelmed me with options when I called and it is taking me a bit to process! :laughing: UY is not important to us at all..we plan to travel during diff. months each trip.
Speaking as one who cannot imagine turning down free points, I would take the 2006 points. If you can use them for your June trip, then you save the money you would have spent to stay at SOG, and you can use ME. If you don't use the points in June, you could bank them. At the moment you don't think you'll be going back to WDW until Dec '08 but who knows -- with a bunch of points in the bank you might decide to go after all, or to treat a friend or relative to a stay.

Worst case, if you ended up not using them and lost them, you would be no worse off than if you never got them in the first place. So you have nothing to lose by taking the 2006 points.

Does anyone know what the price of DDP is per day? I couldn't find it listed anywhere on WDW's website.
For DVC'ers, I think it is $39/person per day.

Speaking as one who cannot imagine turning down free points, I would take the 2006 points. If you can use them for your June trip, then you save the money you would have spent to stay at SOG, and you can use ME. If you don't use the points in June, you could bank them. At the moment you don't think you'll be going back to WDW until Dec '08 but who knows -- with a bunch of points in the bank you might decide to go after all, or to treat a friend or relative to a stay.

Worst case, if you ended up not using them and lost them, you would be no worse off than if you never got them in the first place. So you have nothing to lose by taking the 2006 points.

For DVC'ers, I think it is $39/person per day.

Thanks for giving me a different spin on things...you're definetly right about taking them if they are available anyway. I appreciate your tips!!! :goodvibes

You can't use ME to SOG?

If you still wanted free transportation, can they take you to another resort, and then you take a $15 cab ride the rest of the way????

Seems strange, and I would ask, if you're trying to save pennies.

Goldi

Congratulations to you!

A couple of quick points:

First, checking DVC resort availability online will not tell you anything at all about whether DVC resort villas are available for points...online is CRO (Central Reservations Office), and that's a totally separate inventory...the only way to find out about DVC (points) availability is to call MS (Member Services)...which as others have pointed out, your guide can do for you until you are in the system yourselves...

June is so close that it's definitely a question as to whether any studios in any of the DVC resorts will be available...but it's not a "busy DVC time," so there's hope! But don't rely on having checked online...it's like checking to see if you can buy a Wii at Target by calling BestBuy...completely, totally separate...

Last, you can only take ME if you're booked into the resort it takes you to...so, the poster's idea about taking it to another resort and then cabbing (or taking internal Disney transportation) to SOG won't work...(I tried this in January, when we thought we'd stay our first night at the Swan and then move to the Boardwalk...ME wouldn't let us take ME until our booking at the BWV started the next day...fortunately, we were able to get in at OKW for that first night, so it worked out...)

Lots of good luck to you, and welcome home!

You can't use ME to SOG?

If you still wanted free transportation, can they take you to another resort, and then you take a $15 cab ride the rest of the way????

Goldi

DKKEDM is right...no buses to SOG. The best deal we found was a towncar for $95 RT. The price at SOG is so cheap we didn't mind paying that. Of course DVC attracts us more..if avail!

Congratulations to you!

A couple of quick points:

First, checking DVC resort availability online will not tell you anything at all about whether DVC resort villas are available for points...online is CRO (Central Reservations Office), and that's a totally separate inventory...the only way to find out about DVC (points) availability is to call MS (Member Services)...which as others have pointed out, your guide can do for you until you are in the system yourselves...

June is so close that it's definitely a question as to whether any studios in any of the DVC resorts will be available...but it's not a "busy DVC time," so there's hope! But don't rely on having checked online...it's like checking to see if you can buy a Wii at Target by calling BestBuy...completely, totally separate...

Last, you can only take ME if you're booked into the resort it takes you to...so, the poster's idea about taking it to another resort and then cabbing (or taking internal Disney transportation) to SOG won't work...(I tried this in January, when we thought we'd stay our first night at the Swan and then move to the Boardwalk...ME wouldn't let us take ME until our booking at the BWV started the next day...fortunately, we were able to get in at OKW for that first night, so it worked out...)

Lots of good luck to you, and welcome home!

I figured that was true.....about the online reservation system not reflecting if DVC points were avail. I guess it's just a wait and see game for now. :goodvibes

You can't use ME to SOG?

Goldi

No- DME is dependent on having a reservation at a WDW resort (besides SOG) and they will ask for the reservation number when reserving DME, so you can't just hop another bus and then take a cab.

Why couldn't you take the 2006 points and if you can't use them before they'd expire, rent them out on R/T board for some extra cash?

Why couldn't you take the 2006 points and if you can't use them before they'd expire, rent them out on R/T board for some extra cash?

My guide just called me back and she is going to check on avail. at any DVC studio. A PP was right..I will not have dues on them so cross your fingers that something is open. It will save us $900 if we can DVC instead of SOG. If there isn't avail. then I will definetly rent them out..thanks for the idea! :thumbsup2

My guide just called me back and she is going to check on avail. at any DVC studio. A PP was right..I will not have dues on them so cross your fingers that something is open. It will save us $900 if we can DVC instead of SOG. If there isn't avail. then I will definetly rent them out..thanks for the idea! :thumbsup2

Calm down. Act like you are a LITTLE interested in DVC. Tell your Guide that your purchase only makes sense if you get 2006 points and you can find accommodations for your next trip. It's amazing what strings your Guide can pull if you work it right. Good luck. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter