Just got back from 3/19-3/26 Aulani Trip, Wins and Fails

Good report, thanks for sharing!

I beg of you not to go to Monkeypod. It was just the most average meal I may have ever had, with the benefit of waiting 2 hours and being super expensive for what it was. This was the only restaurant fail of the week.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Monkeypod! While its not a place we'd go out of our way for, we did eat there twice during our Aulani stay and enjoyed the unique farm-to-table options they had. DH still talks about the jalapeno mashed potatoes! We booked on Open Table both times we ate there. The second time we didn't have a reservation and the wait time was over an hour, but I went on Open Table and was able to book a timeslot for 10 minutes later and we were seated immediately. I'm not sure if Open Table is still an option there but something for future visitors to remember.

I'm probably going to hurt some feelings here, but the property didn't feel like a Disney property to me. And that's fine, like I said we aren't huge Disney people. It feels like nice hotel someone put the Disney name on. Maybe it would be different non-covid. Aunty's Beach House wasn't a loss for us as my kids don't love kid's clubs.
I definitely agree that the Disney theme is subdued there, but that's intentional. They are paying homage to Hawaiian culture and not trying to blast Mickey Mouse all over Art of Animation-style. I think the Disney touches are more prevalent when they can have more children's activities, more/normal character meets, character meals with the storytelling. But I always say here that Aulani should never be the destination in and of itself because people will be disappointed. One should stay there as a home base for exploring Hawaii, because if you go wanting a Disney World/Disneyland type of experience, you will be disappointed. There are nicer and grander resorts elsewhere if a person just wants a resort experience.

Last edited:
My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Hawaii 27 years ago. My in laws from Hong Kong came to Seattle for our wedding and came along on our honeymoon. They were very picky about food and we ended up going to Legend in Chinatown 4 days straight. We laughed when we read your post, it was a fond memory of his folks that have since passed. Thanks!
Sorry to hear about Monkeypod too, we were planning on going there in a few months.

We also stayed at Aulani from 3/20-3/26 and this was our 2nd visit. The last time we were there was in 2012 right after it opened. We did more sightseeing and hiking in the North Shore this time as our kids are older now (16 and 14 versus 7 and 5 when we visited previously).

Of course we had a great time and vacation, but did notice a few things during this visit:

For some reason, the "magic" of Disney just didn't seem to be there on this trip. We are DVC members, and have been to many Disney locations over the past 10+ years. I can't explain exactly what it was, but I'm blaming it on Covid, and the fact that perhaps the staff was less interactive with the guests or something. Check-in line took 45 minutes to get to the front of the line, and the actual check-in took another 20 minutes once we got to the front. Not sure why it took so long.
Aulani this visit just seemed like "another nice resort" this time... the fact that resturants, events, spa and gym were closed didn't help either.

Also one thing my wife pointed out is that the rooms (we stayed in 2 bedroom oceanview villa) seem very outdated.
The tube TV was exactly the same TV that was there 9 years ago, and the lighting was very dark in the rooms. I think a modernization would be nice to brighten up the rooms. All high-end hotels these days have nice clear flatscreen TVs. It was weird because when we got back home, our home television and audio system seems so clear and crisp.
(of course we didn't watch much tv, but did a little before going to bed)

Agree with Monkeypod. We went there once, and I knew about the lines so we ate very early around 4:30pm for dinner to only wait about 10 min. Nice location, but food was ok, and for some reason we had a lot of flies that we had to shoo away with the outdoor seating.

I actually liked driving/traffic in HI. I didn't hear a single honk during driving (maybe one). Barely anyone speeds and driving seemed very laid back. My cousin lives in Honolulu and he told me that it is considered rude to honk. I didn't like driving in tight thin lanes though, and squeezing into tight parking spots with our big SUV that we rented.
We rented from Alamo, which was cheaper than other places, but the lines to get our car took about 80 minutes to get to the front. I think it was spring break traffic, plus all of the Kiosks were down.

The trip was awesome and too short, but just wanted to mention these things while they were still fresh in my mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great tips! We’re two weeks out and soaking up all the info we can. There are so many restaurants we want to try and Nicos is one of them!

We also stayed at Aulani from 3/20-3/26 and this was our 2nd visit. The last time we were there was in 2012 right after it opened. We did more sightseeing and hiking in the North Shore this time as our kids are older now (16 and 14 versus 7 and 5 when we visited previously).

Of course we had a great time and vacation, but did notice a few things during this visit:

For some reason, the "magic" of Disney just didn't seem to be there on this trip. We are DVC members, and have been to many Disney locations over the past 10+ years. I can't explain exactly what it was, but I'm blaming it on Covid, and the fact that perhaps the staff was less interactive with the guests or something. Check-in line took 45 minutes to get to the front of the line, and the actual check-in took another 20 minutes once we got to the front. Not sure why it took so long.
Aulani this visit just seemed like "another nice resort" this time... the fact that resturants, events, spa and gym were closed didn't help either.

Also one thing my wife pointed out is that the rooms (we stayed in 2 bedroom oceanview villa) seem very outdated.
The tube TV was exactly the same TV that was there 9 years ago, and the lighting was very dark in the rooms. I think a modernization would be nice to brighten up the rooms. All high-end hotels these days have nice clear flatscreen TVs. It was weird because when we got back home, our home television and audio system seems so clear and crisp.
(of course we didn't watch much tv, but did a little before going to bed)

Agree with Monkeypod. We went there once, and I knew about the lines so we ate very early around 4:30pm for dinner to only wait about 10 min. Nice location, but food was ok, and for some reason we had a lot of flies that we had to shoo away with the outdoor seating.

I actually liked driving/traffic in HI. I didn't hear a single honk during driving (maybe one). Barely anyone speeds and driving seemed very laid back. My cousin lives in Honolulu and he told me that it is considered rude to honk. I didn't like driving in tight thin lanes though, and squeezing into tight parking spots with our big SUV that we rented.
We rented from Alamo, which was cheaper than other places, but the lines to get our car took about 80 minutes to get to the front. I think it was spring break traffic, plus all of the Kiosks were down.

The trip was awesome and too short, but just wanted to mention these things while they were still fresh in my mind.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and what to expect during our upcoming trip in June. Did you use online checkin at Aulani? Or was the wait to verify QR code? I think if you do online checkin, you go to a dedicated desk in the front near valet parking and avoid checkin lines. That was our experience previously, but that may have changed during COVID. Appreciate if you can provide more details here. Trying to avoid the long lines.
Similarly, did you happen to do ‘Skip the Counter’ for Alamo. Based on prior experiences, if you do that, you can bypass all lines and go straight for the vehicle. Again, not sure if COVID has impacted that with QR code verification. Appreciate if you can chime in so that we are better prepared.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and what to expect during our upcoming trip in June. Did you use online checkin at Aulani? Or was the wait to verify QR code? I think if you do online checkin, you go to a dedicated desk in the front near valet parking and avoid checkin lines. That was our experience previously, but that may have changed during COVID. Appreciate if you can provide more details here. Trying to avoid the long lines.
Similarly, did you happen to do ‘Skip the Counter’ for Alamo. Based on prior experiences, if you do that, you can bypass all lines and go straight for the vehicle. Again, not sure if COVID has impacted that with QR code verification. Appreciate if you can chime in so that we are better prepared.

I think you are probably right about the online check-in for Aulani to skip the lines. I would have done that but I personally enjoy checking in in-person usually...i just didn't expect the lines.

As for Alamo, yes, I filled out all the online pre-checkin questionaires to make things faster, but it was still slow. I didn't see the Skip the counter option... and didn't see anyone else skipping the lines when we where there.
I know the lines are still huge, as when we were leaving Hawaii and after we dropped off our Car at Alamo (which went very quickly) I saw the huge line (which was longer) again.

We did not stay at Aulani, but next door at the Marriott instead. We were not able to use the online check-in for Marriott. We had to have our temperatures taken and show them the QR code before we could check in. They did have employees by the line to get your temps, QR codes, and vehicle info which made things go faster.

We used Hertz last week and there was no line at all. DH was out with the keys in less than 5 minutes.

I went in late 2020 and the Mickey bars are in Ulu Cafe. Walk past the cashier and it is in the corner, if memory serves me well.

Hahahaha YES! Driving on the island is an adventure! My husband has the need for speed, he was so frustrated by all of the slow drivers. Also watch yourself in the parking lot, many women there wear these sun hats that have flaps on the side to protect their skin and can’t see out the sides. Gas is also super expensive there, for the most part everything is super expensive there!

We were there for two nights during our Spring break trip. A couple of days is usually enough for us before heading to the windward side.

The rooms need updating. Ours had a huge section of drywall repair that must have been a leak from the adjacent room.

The magic is missing and I saw way too many folks without masks.

The trip in general was fun, but with the reduction of rental car fleet, restaurant closures, etc made for long waits. There is no express pick up for rentals as they need to check COVID testing. Do sign up for the loyalty program as that gets you into a faster line.

We were there for two nights during our Spring break trip. A couple of days is usually enough for us before heading to the windward side.

The rooms need updating. Ours had a huge section of drywall repair that must have been a leak from the adjacent room.

The trip in general was fun, but with the reduction of rental car fleet, restaurant closures, etc made for long waits. There is no express pick up for rentals as they need to check COVID testing. Do sign up for the loyalty program as that gets you into a faster line.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, agree with you. Signing up for loyalty program/skip the counter etc. where you also provide all your information online could help with the shorter wait. For Alamo, instructions are to go straight to the car and have drivers ID ready to show at the exit gate. I am assuming they will also check QR code at exit gate. Still lot of unknowns, but hope it gets cleared soon. I may just call them to confirm their process beforehand. No need to wait an hour in line when it can be avoided by being a little prepared ahead of time.

Oh shucks

They didn't even have Chip and Dale Mickey Cheese head crackers! We had to settle for a Dole Whip. It ruined our trip, I tell you! (just kidding!!)

We stayed at the Marriott next door but went to Aulani a few times in search of a Mickey Bar, Mickey snacks, and Disney shirts.

Aulani has a CM at the door of Kalepa's Store, checking for masks and limiting the amount of people in the store. As we were leaving the store a family was trying to enter the store but didn't have masks. The father was arguing with the CM. DH and I walked down to the Hale Manu shop and the same family entered about 5 minutes after we did, still maskless. The CM never said a word to the family. Other than that everyone was wearing a mask except around the pool.

At the Marriott the employees would stop you right where you were if you didn't have a mask on. A lady on the main building balcony was "just getting ice" and two employees wouldn't let her go past the stairs from the pool area.

Another time two teenaged girls were in The Marketplace trying to buy ice cream without masks on. They wouldn't let them order the ice cream until they got masks. One of the girls said they should post a sign that says they require masks. They were told there was a sign on the door. One of the girls went to see and she said, "It says face coverings required. Nothing about masks". We all groaned.

Another time two teenaged girls were in The Marketplace trying to buy ice cream without masks on. They wouldn't let them order the ice cream until they got masks. One of the girls said they should post a sign that says they require masks. They were told there was a sign on the door. One of the girls went to see and she said, "It says face coverings required. Nothing about masks". We all groaned.
There go tomorrow's leaders for you. God help us all...

Oh another frustrating thing about these times were the :
ELEVATOR wait times!

Since only family party essentially can ride at once, during peak elevator times, I often waited several minutes with cars opening and closing with people already inside them... off peak hours were fine, but during check-in/checkout times the elevator wait took a while....

Oh another frustrating thing about these times were the :
ELEVATOR wait times!

Since only family party essentially can ride at once, during peak elevator times, I often waited several minutes with cars opening and closing with people already inside them... off peak hours were fine, but during check-in/checkout times the elevator wait took a while....

Same at the Marriott but the have fewer elevators! We just became 'cousins" with people. We've been vaccinated but are still really strict mask wearers. Usually it was an older couple we would ride with. The conversation would start by either the other people or us saying, "We've been vaccinated and we're all wearing masks."

We were there the same week as you all. It was a nice time but fell far below what the Disney standards usually are (in my own mind), even with the Covid restrictions in place. We had some super rude delivery people when we asked for fresh towels, and the room just seemed pretty worn out and in need of an update. We went next door to the 4 seasons for dinner at Noe and the service comparison was lightyears beyond what we had at Aulani.

Monkeypod we went twice. The first was awesome, great service and great food. The second my sister was served raw chicken and was extremely sick all night and through the next day. Was super disappointing as we loved monkeypod 2 years ago when we visited.

Overall we had a great time and there were many highlights, but we likely won't return to Aulani for awhile, just a bit disenchanted at the moment. I've had to travel a few times for work since this all started last year, and had better service and amenities even at small Hiltons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter