Just got back--underwhelmed

Royal for sure lost money going to Nassau. Consider:

- They would've had to pay the port fees there and probably ate those fees rather than pass that onto the cruisers.
- Any excursions and rentals they had set up at Labadee would've been cancelled. Since you have to book these through Royal, that's a lot of marked up item revenue they're losing out on.
- And it's probably too late to get their Nassau excursions set up, so that's more revenue lost.

The financial hit is probably a drop in the hat for Royal, but it's a loss nonetheless.
Excellent points. To your third point: OP did say they did an excursion in Nassau. Unclear if it was through RCL or booked on their own, but it's possible they were able to get some Nassau excursions set up (especially if they had a few days between knowing they weren't going to Labadee and when they got to Nassau). But I agree, at least a little revenue lost there because I'm sure excursion uptake wasn't super high (given the short notice and it being Nassau, not a super popular port for excursions in general).

Definitely try an oasis class ship! I agree that Quantum ships are not as fun for families. We are taking Odyssey out of NJ this Christmas, and it would not be my first choice ship, although it is beautiful, I don't think there is as much for my 11 and 15 year old....but we don't have to fly, and are traveling with family so those are the pros! We took Symphony last February, highly recommend it!

I think I heard the Sky Pads were taken down because of insurance reasons? Or maybe they had to be closed too much (wind/waves) that they were shutdown more than open anyway?

I did get to try it out on Mariner last year. I doing pretty good (using the VR) until about the last 30 seconds and started getting vertigo and just to stop. I'm sure it will take a while to find something to fit the space and implement it across the ships.
You are braver than me, lol! I was just planning to do the regular jump with no VR, but my teens were all about the VR. I have tried to do VR without trampolines and I nearly lost my lunch just on that part, ha ha. I was more disappointed that it was marketed (even showing on the now boarding video when we went through port to get you all excited) and it wasn't offered. This is one example of corporate greed I was talking about--at least that is my opinion. Cornhole isn't quite the samepirate: Then again, its like expecting a lush private island in the warm Eastern Caribbean and getting...Nassau (which was in the 70's as a high with cold water, not too conducive for even a beach day on Junkaroo). Truly its an armpit of a port.

All I am offering folks is a realistic and honest review of what we just experienced. Was it still a vacation with wonderful views and sunshine, absolutely (first world problems!)--but one can get that on any cruise line. We paid thousands of dollars for this and we were the ones who experienced it. People work hard for their vacations, they deserve to have what they thought they were paying for in my opinion. I've been on vacations where I had a bad experience, and guest services went above and beyond to compensate, which goes a LONG way. If Royal had met us even a little I probably wouldn't be left with such a bad taste in my mouth--that is all I am saying.

Excellent points. To your third point: OP did say they did an excursion in Nassau. Unclear if it was through RCL or booked on their own, but it's possible they were able to get some Nassau excursions set up (especially if they had a few days between knowing they weren't going to Labadee and when they got to Nassau). But I agree, at least a little revenue lost there because I'm sure excursion uptake wasn't super high (given the short notice and it being Nassau, not a super popular port for excursions in general).
Yes, we booked excursions through RC directly. So I expected since they were booked directly, they were probably good quality ones--but in the future we just wouldn't book excursions--they aren't cheap, and it just wasn't what we we got compared to what was advertised at all. I'm not brave enough to do one not with the cruise ship (worst case, getting left behind--and there are all kinds of travel advisories in the Bahamas, so for safety, no way would I do that).

Definitely try an oasis class ship! I agree that Quantum ships are not as fun for families. We are taking Odyssey out of NJ this Christmas, and it would not be my first choice ship, although it is beautiful, I don't think there is as much for my 11 and 15 year old....but we don't have to fly, and are traveling with family so those are the pros! We took Symphony last February, highly recommend it!
As long as you are well aware there won't be much for the 11 and 15 year old, I think you will be fine. We all read a novel each, lol...so I recommend bringing good reading materials. I tried to book my daughter in the spa with me (thermal suite) for a place to escape the crowded pool deck, but they said she had to be 18. The ship IS beautiful, I just expected, especially on the sea days, they'd offer more entertainment options (maybe a stand up comedian, more live music, etc.).

I so wish we had done the Oasis class--that was just a rookie mistake. I think part of the reason we felt "nickel and dimed" was that so many things seemed to cost extra. In the future we will probably choose a cruise line that is more all inclusive, if that makes sense? On DCL non-alcoholic drinks are just included--so there is no "go stand in line again" you just get it and it was part of what you paid. In retrospect, I don't know that RC is less expensive at all than Disney given all the "up charges" (for lack of a better word--on Disney we didn't feel the need to pay for extra entertainment as it was just part of the cruise, we didn't consider specialty dining because the regular dining was exceptional, etc.). I think we would return to Disney or look into one of the cruise lines that offer things more included (I am one who kind of likes to know what I am getting into before I board, even if I pay more overall).

We are considering a Celebrity cruise next year for Alaska since the cost for a veranda is the same as an inside on DCL. But I keep watching videos and thinking that I am not sure it is for us, in part due to what you described as not much to do on your ship. From my research, there are minimal other options - maybe a little trivia but that is about it.

My kid is not into rock climbing or any of the other flashy things advertised on RCCL. But it seems like the rest of the options on most of the other cruises are drink and sit at the pool. Or play board games and read… but I can do that at home!

I am trying to be open minded but I am not sure we are cruise people… maybe we are just Disney people.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Without a doubt, I'd so an inside room on DCL versus another RCCL with my kids--and frankly we just probably won't cruise with the kids again, lol. It makes it easier. They were good sports, but I felt bad for them--I had hyped it up and it was such a let down. Even the board room (and yes, our ship had one with board games) only had a few stale selections (Checkers, chess, and card decks)...you would think at least Ticket to Ride or something, lol!

I LOVE Disney--huge disney junkie--but we did really enjoy our short DCL cruise. I just don't like they do Nassau so much and I had intentionally chosen one of the other lines to try something other than the Bahamas--so you can probably imagine how disappointed I was when I found out we were going to Nassau, lol. We live in cold weather climate and we wanted the heat--even on Perfect Day, it was way too cold to swim in the water, etc. The temps were only in the mid 70s at the high and very breezy. Yes, there is only so much drinking and eating one can do...

Something else to consider on any cruise line...my kids enjoy cruising most when they are with other kids they know!

They are in fact pricey x2 since most cruise lines will require that at least two people in the room purchase a drink package of some sort.

If you and your SO aren't big drinkers (say 1-3 drinks a day) you're better off going a la carte.
The refreshment package was pretty good for me since I enjoyed the specialty coffees and mocktails, but the classic soda one (we paid $10 per person per day--which adds up when you are paying for several people) wasn't worth it. I can honestly say, both hubby and I drink and we were much better off to pay for alcoholic drinks a la carte--I can't even imagine how much I would have needed to consume to make that one worth it.

Something else to consider on any cruise line...my kids enjoy cruising most when they are with other kids they know!
My kids LOVED the kid's clubs at DCL--but hard to tell because that was in 2019 and they were different ages/stages. They definitely tried on this one, but said the teen clubs were a total bust. They tried 3-4 times. They said the offerings/games in there were pretty sad too.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Without a doubt, I'd so an inside room on DCL versus another RCCL with my kids--and frankly we just probably won't cruise with the kids again, lol. It makes it easier. They were good sports, but I felt bad for them--I had hyped it up and it was such a let down. Even the board room (and yes, our ship had one with board games) only had a few stale selections (Checkers, chess, and card decks)...you would think at least Ticket to Ride or something, lol!

I LOVE Disney--huge disney junkie--but we did really enjoy our short DCL cruise. I just don't like they do Nassau so much and I had intentionally chosen one of the other lines to try something other than the Bahamas--so you can probably imagine how disappointed I was when I found out we were going to Nassau, lol. We live in cold weather climate and we wanted the heat--even on Perfect Day, it was way too cold to swim in the water, etc. The temps were only in the mid 70s at the high and very breezy. Yes, there is only so much drinking and eating one can do...
Love Ticket to Ride!

I appreciate your perspective. I am trying not to be one of those people who can’t see past Disney, but I also know that if we are just sitting around the ship reading on our sea days, it will feel like wasted time. We don’t do relaxation very well. And my teenager might get surly. :)

We have a DCL cruise booked for August on the Magic… we shall see how that goes and probably decide after that (have both options booked right now).

All I am offering folks is a realistic and honest review of what we just experienced.
And it's appreciated. Don't take any of my commentary as negative towards you. But I do like trying to figure out why you think x, y and z, how it correlates to my experiences, and why our experiences were the same or different.

Yes, we booked excursions through RC directly. So I expected since they were booked directly, they were probably good quality ones--but in the future we just wouldn't book excursions--they aren't cheap, and it just wasn't what we we got compared to what was advertised at all. I'm not brave enough to do one not with the cruise ship (worst case, getting left behind--and there are all kinds of travel advisories in the Bahamas, so for safety, no way would I do that).
This, unfortunately, is an area that cruise lines do well in, because they prey on our fear of getting left behind.

My experience has been that a reputable 3rd party vendor is actually more risk averse than the cruise line, because they know that bad word of mouth will hurt their business.

With that said, it can be hard to break away and go it alone. There is excursion research, checking reviews, and often, a need to put actual bank notes aside for these excursions. It's definitely more work than looking up what the cruise line offers, booking it and forgetting about it until the port day. But once you get used to it, it's hard to go back (exception: anything that involves taking the ferry in Cozumel).

I so wish we had done the Oasis class--that was just a rookie mistake. I think part of the reason we felt "nickel and dimed" was that so many things seemed to cost extra. In the future we will probably choose a cruise line that is more all inclusive, if that makes sense? On DCL non-alcoholic drinks are just included--so there is no "go stand in line again" you just get it and it was part of what you paid. In retrospect, I don't know that RC is less expensive at all than Disney given all the "up charges" (for lack of a better word--on Disney we didn't feel the need to pay for extra entertainment as it was just part of the cruise, we didn't consider specialty dining because the regular dining was exceptional, etc.). I think we would return to Disney or look into one of the cruise lines that offer things more included (I am one who kind of likes to know what I am getting into before I board, even if I pay more overall).
I would suggest looking at Princess. I think their newest ship (Sun Princess) has amenities that might appeal to you, and their Princess Plus package is probably one of the better add-ons you'll find right now.

You are braver than me, lol! I was just planning to do the regular jump with no VR, but my teens were all about the VR. I have tried to do VR without trampolines and I nearly lost my lunch just on that part, ha ha. I was more disappointed that it was marketed (even showing on the now boarding video when we went through port to get you all excited) and it wasn't offered. This is one example of corporate greed I was talking about--at least that is my opinion. Cornhole isn't quite the samepirate: Then again, its like expecting a lush private island in the warm Eastern Caribbean and getting...Nassau (which was in the 70's as a high with cold water, not too conducive for even a beach day on Junkaroo). Truly its an armpit of a port.
The Sky Pads got taken out within the last year IIRC. Apparently they haven't updated their videos yet. I agree they shouldn't be promoting it. I really think RCI was in a tough spot with Labadee. I'm also assuming their choices of replacement ports was limited. They have to look at itinerary, fuel costs, port costs, along with ports that can accept a large number of additional passengers. I think you were just unlucky on that.
All I am offering folks is a realistic and honest review of what we just experienced. Was it still a vacation with wonderful views and sunshine, absolutely (first world problems!)--but one can get that on any cruise line. We paid thousands of dollars for this and we were the ones who experienced it. People work hard for their vacations, they deserve to have what they thought they were paying for in my opinion. I've been on vacations where I had a bad experience, and guest services went above and beyond to compensate, which goes a LONG way. If Royal had met us even a little I probably wouldn't be left with such a bad taste in my mouth--that is all I am saying.
I agree a little understanding from GS goes a long way. And I'm not saying your experience didn't happen. I'm just giving the "other side" of the coin. My "honest" thought is for the most part, doing 3rd party excursions is better. Cheaper, and more realistic expectation. My opinion is cruise line excursions are crowded and more expensive.

We've been on four Royal cruises. We've done at least the refreshment package on every one (one time I got the Deluxe, but that was years ago at ~$50/day- NOT worth it to me). We did a specialty dining on our first (just DW & I), and DW & DD did a cupcake decorating class. I've never been on an Odyssey class ship, but Oasis and Freedom have had plenty to do. Rock climbing, Flow Rider, Ice Skating, sports court, mini golf, water slides, and hot tubs kept us all busy without spending extra money.

I wish you luck in wherever you decide to spend your vacation dollars.

Love Ticket to Ride!

I appreciate your perspective. I am trying not to be one of those people who can’t see past Disney, but I also know that if we are just sitting around the ship reading on our sea days, it will feel like wasted time. We don’t do relaxation very well. And my teenager might get surly. :)

We have a DCL cruise booked for August on the Magic… we shall see how that goes and probably decide after that (have both options booked right now).
That sounds really fun and I hope you have a fantastic trip! Castaway Cay is fantastic and there are things to do other than just beach, running/walking area, bikes, etc. Unless we missed it, on RC private island it's pretty much just beach/pool (which got incredibly crowded) or you pay (and it was a lot per person--$150 for the water park, $100 for the zip line, $100 to go up in the balloon) for each other thing. I do not think when you factor it all out, they are less expensive than DCL.

I wouldn't worry about being a person who can't see past Disney--I will be the first to say when I speak of corporate greed they are ALL guilty, including Disney...BUT there is something called the Disney difference and it is for real! Service industries need to focus more on these things because with inflation and costs what they are, people have choices and expectations in travel. In 2021 we planned a vacation to Disney after masks went away. We intentionally planned and waited so we wouldn't have to wear them in the parks (not a political thing, just not comfortable in the Florida heat). They ended up reinstating them in the middle of our trip. We went to the guest services and asked to be released as it wasn't what we hoped for, and not only did they release us and refund the rest of our hotel days there, they offered us comped tickets for each and every person in our family to come back again good for 5 years. That is the Disney difference. I don't feel "entitled" I just feel like when a guest comes to you with a complaint you aren't delivering what was marketed, you do something--anything--to try and off set that negative experience. Royal did zero--and the email stating a policy and reminding me I can book another cruise with them was just an insult. We had another experience in Las Vegas one time where they put our kids room on a totally different floor than ours, the hotel was booked solid so they couldn't move us--they at least offered us food/beverage credits and tickets to a show to offset the inconvenience.

That sounds really fun and I hope you have a fantastic trip! Castaway Cay is fantastic and there are things to do other than just beach, running/walking area, bikes, etc. Unless we missed it, on RC private island it's pretty much just beach/pool (which got incredibly crowded) or you pay (and it was a lot per person--$150 for the water park, $100 for the zip line, $100 to go up in the balloon) for each other thing. I do not think when you factor it all out, they are less expensive than DCL.

I wouldn't worry about being a person who can't see past Disney--I will be the first to say when I speak of corporate greed they are ALL guilty, including Disney...BUT there is something called the Disney difference and it is for real! Service industries need to focus more on these things because with inflation and costs what they are, people have choices and expectations in travel. In 2021 we planned a vacation to Disney after masks went away. We intentionally planned and waited so we wouldn't have to wear them in the parks (not a political thing, just not comfortable in the Florida heat). They ended up reinstating them in the middle of our trip. We went to the guest services and asked to be released as it wasn't what we hoped for, and not only did they release us and refund the rest of our hotel days there, they offered us comped tickets for each and every person in our family to come back again good for 5 years. That is the Disney difference. I don't feel "entitled" I just feel like when a guest comes to you with a complaint you aren't delivering what was marketed, you do something--anything--to try and off set that negative experience. Royal did zero--and the email stating a policy and reminding me I can book another cruise with them was just an insult. We had another experience in Las Vegas one time where they put our kids room on a totally different floor than ours, the hotel was booked solid so they couldn't move us--they at least offered us food/beverage credits and tickets to a show to offset the inconvenience.
I watched a video last night of a cruise vlogger who usually doesn't go on Disney cruises but was reviewing one and comparing. He noted that DCL is different because most cruises are basically just floating hotels, while Disney offers more of an entertainment event.

I think this hit the nail on the head for me. The question will be whether we can get our heads around just being OK with a floating hotel. :)

Thanks again for your insight - I really appreciate it!

I watched a video last night of a cruise vlogger who usually doesn't go on Disney cruises but was reviewing one and comparing. He noted that DCL is different because most cruises are basically just floating hotels, while Disney offers more of an entertainment event.
I would say it's more of a floating resort than a floating hotel. Not sure what "entertainment event" is supposed to mean. Probably one of those "in the moment" comments that vloggers do.

To me, the major difference with Disney cruises is Disney. You're effectively getting a WDW resort experience... on a ship. No other cruise line can do Disney theming. No other company does meet and greets like Disney does. No other cruise line is going to have Disney Broadway productions and jukebox musicals. They know how to use their IP to their advantage, and all power to them for doing it.

I think this hit the nail on the head for me. The question will be whether we can get our heads around just being OK with a floating hotel. :)
That's really the big question, isn't it? There's only one right answer for each person. And the only way to figure it out is by empirical research (i.e. keep cruising).

Cruise lines change itineraries all of the time for so many reasons. They can literally cancel all of them if necessary and owe nothing to passengers. A cruise to Bermuda can easily turn into a cruise to Canada during hurricane season. A 7 day cruise can turn into a 4 day cruise, or a 10 day cruise. As for the excursions, sounds like they needed to find last minute vendors. We always get day passes at resorts in Nassau, the beaches are beautiful.

Cruise lines change itineraries all of the time for so many reasons. They can literally cancel all of them if necessary and owe nothing to passengers. A cruise to Bermuda can easily turn into a cruise to Canada during hurricane season. A 7 day cruise can turn into a 4 day cruise, or a 10 day cruise. As for the excursions, sounds like they needed to find last minute vendors. We always get day passes at resorts in Nassau, the beaches are beautiful.
I would say that if a cruise was cut short there should be some sort of compensation. I get that it can happen, and it is in the contract that the cruise line could do it. But I think part of the argument for not compensating when ports are changed is that "you're still on a cruise, so you're still getting what you paid for." By comparison, if I paid for a 7-day cruise and only got a 4-day cruise, I'm not really getting what I paid for. Yes I get that's a little bit in the eye of the beholder, but I think there's a much bigger case for compensation if your trip was cut short/cruise was literally shortened as opposed to your trip just being changed (some ports being swapped).

That's just my take. Heck, I was on the Wish last April when they had engine issues, got stuck overnight in Nassau, and never made it to Castaway Cay. I didn't expect anything for that, so was pleasantly surprised when we received both onboard credit and future cruise credit. And many felt even that wasn't good enough (I was a little bummed to not make it to CC, but also rejoiced in the bonus sea day because my itinerary wasn't supposed to have one).

My kids love meeting others, in the teen club the first night, or at young adult meetups. Our last cruise was the NCL Gem, not even a waterslide, but all 5 were having a great time with their new friends, even my 19 and 20 year olds. We’d see them at dinner.

I would say that if a cruise was cut short there should be some sort of compensation. I get that it can happen, and it is in the contract that the cruise line could do it. But I think part of the argument for not compensating when ports are changed is that "you're still on a cruise, so you're still getting what you paid for." By comparison, if I paid for a 7-day cruise and only got a 4-day cruise, I'm not really getting what I paid for. Yes I get that's a little bit in the eye of the beholder, but I think there's a much bigger case for compensation if your trip was cut short/cruise was literally shortened as opposed to your trip just being changed (some ports being swapped).

That's just my take. Heck, I was on the Wish last April when they had engine issues, got stuck overnight in Nassau, and never made it to Castaway Cay. I didn't expect anything for that, so was pleasantly surprised when we received both onboard credit and future cruise credit. And many felt even that wasn't good enough (I was a little bummed to not make it to CC, but also rejoiced in the bonus sea day because my itinerary wasn't supposed to have one).
Yes and in every case I think folks were compensated. But skipping a port or going to a different one? I think compensation is rare, especially in a. situation where it’s not safe vs. an engine issue.

And it's appreciated. Don't take any of my commentary as negative towards you. But I do like trying to figure out why you think x, y and z, how it correlates to my experiences, and why our experiences were the same or different.

This, unfortunately, is an area that cruise lines do well in, because they prey on our fear of getting left behind.

My experience has been that a reputable 3rd party vendor is actually more risk averse than the cruise line, because they know that bad word of mouth will hurt their business.

With that said, it can be hard to break away and go it alone. There is excursion research, checking reviews, and often, a need to put actual bank notes aside for these excursions. It's definitely more work than looking up what the cruise line offers, booking it and forgetting about it until the port day. But once you get used to it, it's hard to go back (exception: anything that involves taking the ferry in Cozumel).

I would suggest looking at Princess. I think their newest ship (Sun Princess) has amenities that might appeal to you, and their Princess Plus package is probably one of the better add-ons you'll find right now.
Thank you for the suggestion--I will look into Princess! I don't know much at all about that one. I appreciate your advice. I DID enjoy cruising--but oh man I still feel like I am rocking to the boat, ha ha..when does that go away??:duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter