Just got back--underwhelmed

Thank you for the suggestion--I will look into Princess! I don't know much at all about that one. I appreciate your advice. I DID enjoy cruising--but oh man I still feel like I am rocking to the boat, ha ha..when does that go away??:duck:
Some people really struggle with "land sickness" (still feeling like they're rocking even after coming back on land). It can take a week or two for some to readjust. For future cruises, if you used any seasickness meds (like scopolamine or Bonine/Drammamine), try taking them for a day or two even after you get off the ship. It can help your body ease back into things.

I've sailed with Princess twice. It's a totally different vibe than Disney (haven't sailed RCL so can't compare there). I've been on older ships so I found entertainment to be lacking, but I think PP suggested one of their newer ships that would have more bells and whistles. Overall, I did enjoy sailing Princess and would (probably will) sail them again. But it's not my go-do.

Haiti itself has been on a Do Not Travel country by the U.S. government since at least July 2023. I'm guessing RCL chanced it was because of their private island however a private island does not preclude you from safety risks. We had a friend on Symphony close to mid-February and I was downright shocked that they were even going there at that time private island or not because Haiti for a long time has been known as a risky country. They started canceling Labadee a month later. TBH I'm not sure how an insurance company would handle claims with a private island of cruise line but in a country that is a do not travel normally you won't be covered under a do not travel country for obvious reasons.

I would consider this out of the ordinary in terms of policies because it's a safety risk to passengers due to the country itself and the uniqueness of the private island situation of course Nassau is not desirable in your case and that is understandable your frustration. But understand if you're an American the U.S. has been warning people to stay away for a long time, travel to any part of Haiti you stand a high risk of issues cropping up. In this case Haiti was " kidnapping, crime, civil unrest, and poor health care infrastructure." A private island doesn't matter when it comes to kidnapping, crime, or civil unrest unfortunately and a it was really a dice game as to when issues could interfere with a stop there.

I've sailed with Princess twice. It's a totally different vibe than Disney (haven't sailed RCL so can't compare there). I've been on older ships so I found entertainment to be lacking, but I think PP suggested one of their newer ships that would have more bells and whistles. Overall, I did enjoy sailing Princess and would (probably will) sail them again. But it's not my go-do.
Yeah it's not my go-to line either but I would have no issues sailing with them again. And the Sun Princess does seem to be trying to get some of that family market so it's certainly worth looking into.

Would agree that shows were not great, but the caveat there is that DCL and Royal are head and shoulders above everyone else here so anything else pales in comparison. That said, there was a new show almost every night of our 10 night cruise on Regal so the effort was certainly there. And we had a really good cruise director so that helped as well.

I think I heard the Sky Pads were taken down because of insurance reasons? Or maybe they had to be closed too much (wind/waves) that they were shutdown more than open anyway?

I did get to try it out on Mariner last year. I doing pretty good (using the VR) until about the last 30 seconds and started getting vertigo and just to stop. I'm sure it will take a while to find something to fit the space and implement it across the ships.
Understandable, but could they at least take the sign off the wall directing you to the VR experience? There was one on deck 14 on the Odyssey. And then when I asked several people about it, including Guest Services, they had no idea what I was talking about. There's a sign directing you where to go! Just no experience.

We posted a few times for questions beforehand, and thank you all who contributed. It was super helpful-particularly people who had just recently cruised. We sailed the Odyssey of the Seas, this was our first Royal Caribbean experience, having previously only cruised Disney one time prior to Covid. So in no way do I have a lot of experience to compare anything too, but thought I'd share some thoughts in case this helps anyone else.

Pros (things that were wonderful): I'll probably give my pros here based on "Was it Disney quality?" if that helps.
--The ship was clean and neat, beautiful art work etc. Our ocean view balcony cabin was spacious, the deck was great (comfortable chairs, great view, etc.)
--Broadway style shows may have actually had a slight edge to Disney, the performers were wonderful talented, etc.
--Our main dining room (we did NOT do any specialty restaurants) service was amazing--Disney quality wait staff, etc. in every way. Just wonderful employees.
--Port everglades easy to get into, muster drill efficient and fast, also easy to get off the ship.
--The views were amazing...beautiful blue waters, etc.

Cons: (and full disclosure we were overall very underwhelmed by this experience).
--Port was changed to Nassau at last minute instead of Labadee, we did send an email to RC asking for credits (letting them know it was advertised and marketed as an Eastern Caribbean cruise and not a Bahamian cruise, which we had no interest in), and got a firm no, cited their policy they can change ports and (this was the insulting part) told me I could get a discount if I booked a future cruise while on board. I did respond back (respectful but assertive) and that was over a week ago, I've gotten zero response back from them.
--On board we had 2 staterooms, in our kids rooms the beds were split as we had asked--but super easy fix once we called guest services.
--Drink packages--difficult to use. We got the classic soda for my kids and husband, I got the refreshment package. I attempted to use to the refreshment package at 270 barista station (for both a fresh squeezed juice and a latte morning 1) and was told I could only get one drink and would need to get back in line for a 2nd one. I asked again to clarify, (and said "I'd have to wait in that again"--it was about a 7-10 minute line) and was told "yes, it won't hurt you to wait in line again"...I kid you not that was verbatim. They give you a cup on the soda package and you are expected to carry it with you everywhere (except Windjammer and MDR) if you want to use it, the freestyle coke machines rarely ever had ice in them, lines were long, etc. We did end up "losing" money on the drink packages as they were not easy to use, especially since our Labadee (which should have been inclusive) got switched to Nassau
--theatres--seats very uncomfortable and lots of obstructed views, we even would get there 20-30 minutes early to try and scout out good ones. In Royal theatre almost all the chairs were broken down (this ship was new in 2021 to put it in comparison) and you felt like you were sliding forward a lot. A shame because the shows were the highlight for us.
--excursions--we booked both directly with Royal, and were very disappointed in them. The Puerto Plata was a cooking class and water park. They put the cooking class in middle of the day so we never really had time to enjoy the park before or after before having to get back on the bus. We were very displeased about Nassau, but attempted to make the most and booked the Best of Nassau and Paradise island excursion about $65ish per person--we were taken to Paradise island and parked in the parking lot of the huge Atlantis resort and given 30 minutes to go see it--it felt like we were crashing other people's all inclusive as we peaked at their pools, signs all over trying to block us from using bathrooms, etc. as this must be a common problem for them with these tour buses, etc. and the other stop was to a public park on the beach and you needed additional money to actually go into the fort (which we didn't know to bring) additional money to buy food/drink from the bar area (even though it had told us bottled water was part of this "luxury air conditioned bus" it was never offered, and we were solicited and approached by street vendors almost constantly during the 20 minute stop here). Save your money--excursions based on the 2 we went on, not worth the cost.
--The ship was so boring, very little offerings compared to Disney (or maybe this is just a post-covid thing for all of them) on sea days other than trivia. The arcade was small and many of the machines didn't work, the shared "seaplex" rarely offered anything that we'd do and when it was (laser tag, etc.) it was offered during dinner, the pools were crazy swamped crowded, even in the adult only area and just sensory overload for us--we spent a lot of time in our staterooms. We booked this ship due to the Sky Pad for our teens--they still show it in all their marketing material, including the film showing it as we boarded the ship--but it has been completely taken out and replaced with cornhole. we never got to use the Northstar because you needed advance reservations or you had to pay an upcharge...it never worked.
--The running track is on the same deck as the pool loungers so basically its crowded and unusable all the time, frustrating to both the people trying to use the pool and hot tubs who get smacked by the folks trying to run, and equally frustrating for those trying to use the track and its always wet, and kids are jumping in/out at you. Poor design.
--elevators a nightmare, plan to use the steps and I found horrible for disabled folks. They are motion sensored and the elevators are always packed, so someone is sensoring all the buttons much of the time, making them stop at each floor...so it took forever to get an elevator anytime you needed one.
--Food underwhelming in quality, the El Loco fresh tasted like Taco bell, the pizza so/so, and the main dining room and Windjammer got slightly better over the trip, but nothing to rave home about, Applebees quality?
--My time dining is NOT my Time dining....you need a reservation or you stand in a very long line each night. You make the reservations months in advance and then it often interferes with the time of the nightly shows. Very inflexible and chaotic (A LOT of other guests we spoke too were not happy). Again, good service, just really poor design.
--Royal Promenade--Huge amount of the ship space is devoted to very expensive shopping--I think there were 5 watch stores, I kid you not--Rolex, etc. and I never saw anyone actually purchasing the high end jewelry, sunglasses, handbags, etc. to account for taking up that much ship space). Royal felt a lot "fancier" than Disney in everyway--but while we make a good living, we have no desire to pay thousands of dollars for handbags and jewelry and it would have been nice to see some shopping geared toward just a middle class family. These parts of the ship never crowded, while other parts people are walking all over themselves. Poor design.

Overall:

Underwhelmed, we don't plan to cruise Royal again. Maybe this is just a cruise in general, but we have no desire to go back to Nassau again, it was a huge turn off, so maybe cruising in general is just not our thing (Disney uses this port a lot too). We felt very nickel and dimed on Royal, almost everything is an upcharge (any sort of on ship entertainment, etc.). While not at all Royal's fault, my husband got sea lice exposure (we think anyway--he dipped his feet in for just a second at Chill Island and it was too cold to swim in for our taste so he got out right away) later that evening a rash showed up all over where his feet and ankles had been and he had violent sickness that night (TMI, but both vomiting and diarrhea and just slept all the next day).
After reading through all of this it seems cruising just may not be for you. Odyssey is one of the best ships in the fleet and our favorite (even compared to wonder, icon and others we've been on). There is plenty of activities to do and I'd encourage people to check out royals past cruise compasses that get posted online to get an idea of what to expect. Plenty of live music and shows to choose from as well as a comedian on board. Our kids loved odyssey as well from the iFly, northstar, laser tag (morning and evening times are available), bumper cars, etc. etc. etc. we were never bored.

Nassua is a horrible port which all of the cruise lines go to. Its one big tourist trap imo so we never get off the boat there.

Skypad is not on royals website at all for odyssey.

Food on royal has been going down in quality over the years but we still enjoy it but are never wowed by it.

Just curious as to what disney has that royal doesn't that makes it not a boring ship. The offerings seem very similar to me as far as entertainment venues go. We've priced disney many times in the past and always find ourselves coming back to royal for their ships that we fell are superior (bigger with more to do) than disney. We love disney parks and go all the time but can never justify the disney price.

Our most recent cruise we spent maybe $350 on board so I have never felt nickeled and dimed by royal although there are plenty of upcharges.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I too would have been disappointed with Nassau being a replacement for Laberdee. But at short notice there are only so many places available. Once on another cruise line we wound up with 2 stops at Key West. (Admittedly better than Nassau) because it was the only port that had room that day for us. In hindsight you should probably have said something to them while you were on the ship. We had an issue with our room and they went over and above to help us

I understand the issue with the drinks. Too many people were buying one more expensive package and sharing it with their family. I would love to get the alcohol package but since my husband and son don’t drink it would be a waste of money.

I did 2 Royal cruises last year. Both with early dining. Seeing the long lines for MTD each night made me glad that we didn’t try it.

Seeing the long lines for MTD each night made me glad that we didn’t try it.
I saw a video from Matt Hochberg recently that said Royal was testing out some sort of pager/callback system for MTD through the app. That won't solve the issue of waiting for a table, but I guess that will help with people waiting around the MDR for a table.

I saw a video from Matt Hochberg recently that said Royal was testing out some sort of pager/callback system for MTD through the app. That won't solve the issue of waiting for a table, but I guess that will help with people waiting around the MDR for a table.
Carnival texts you when your table is ready and you have 15 minutes to get there. Much better than standing in lines

Yeah it's not my go-to line either but I would have no issues sailing with them again. And the Sun Princess does seem to be trying to get some of that family market so it's certainly worth looking into.

Would agree that shows were not great, but the caveat there is that DCL and Royal are head and shoulders above everyone else here so anything else pales in comparison. That said, there was a new show almost every night of our 10 night cruise on Regal so the effort was certainly there. And we had a really good cruise director so that helped as well.
I'll admit, I'm one of the Princess fans. For us, we don't really care about the "bells and whistles" part, more so that they just get the basics right. I feel Princess does that really well. Their newer ships are definitely better (especially in the buffet), but that doesn't mean the older ones are terrible (in fact, the Explorer's Lounge on the older ships is much better than Princess Live!, which replaced it on the newer ships, but I digress). There are some definite things we love about Princess though:
  • The Princess Plus package, at $60 pppd, is, IMHO, one of the best out there. It includes your Gratuities, Wifi, and Drinks package. On Carnival, just the drinks are $70 pppd and Royal is usually well north of there. Also, if you have the Plus package, room service is still included (and you can actually order it to you wherever you are on the ship)
  • There is a good variety of included food options. It's not just the buffet and MDR. All Princess ships have a 24/7 "quick service" place off of the Piazza called the International Cafe. It is very similar if your Royal ship had a Promenade Cafe, except with a much wider selection and food that is actually edible. The Egg McMuffin type thing they have there for breakfast is amazing. The coffee bar is there as well, so you can follow that up with a salted caramel latte. Additionally, there is a poolside burger/taco/dog grill as well as pizza that is much better than DCL's or Royal's. I will admit that the buffets are better in the newer Princess ships, but the older ones are still fine.
  • I can get a much different itinerary it seems on Princess than I can on other lines. In fact, our last 2 Princess Cruises were a partial transit of the Panama Canal that also visited Cartagena and Costa Rica and a 12 night British Isles cruise that included not only stops in England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and France, but also a stop in Guernsey, which, if you had ever asked me "Hey, let's go to Guernsey", I would have looked at you like you were crazy, but it turned out to be one of our top destinations we've stopped at. We also have one on the books for the Summer of 2025 that is 12 nights and leaves the UK going to Bruges, Rotterdam, Oslo, Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Aarhus, Hamburg, and LeHavre.
  • Princess offers true 3rd and 4th sail free a good bit of the time. We did that on our last Europe cruise and are doing it on the next one. If you have a family of 3 or 4, it can be a big savings.
  • Movies are included in your stateroom. You don't have to pay for them like on Royal (Virgin Voyages is even better on this). As an additional bonus, if you are of a certain age, there are also tons of "Love Boat" reruns on the TV system (but, alas, no "Fantasy Island" right after them)...
  • Princess tends to have a lot of live music scattered around numerous venues. One time, on an Alaskan cruise, we just happened to stop in one of the "pub" like bars and an Irish band was just starting, handing out sing-a-long songbooks to "somewhat dirty" Irish songs. That was very unexpected and fun (The Patter only said "Band Name" appearing in Pub, had no actual idea that it was going to be as crazy fun as it was). On another cruise, they let the "Crew band", which was all crew members that just played together in their off-time, put on a concert in the Piazza and they were great. So, while they don't have so much "Broadway" type shows, they have a lot of other type of entertainment. Also, do not miss the "Yes/No" game show if you go on Princess (though it does depend on how good your Cruise Director is).
If you are going just adults, then I'd highly recommend Virgin Voyages. Now, that's a completely different thing, but it is amazing.

If you still like the mainline cruise lines, then you can always just try something different. The new Carnival ships (Mardi Gras, Celebration, Jubilee) are a huge step up for the line and the included food is great.

And I'll close by getting back to Royal... We've done 3 Royal cruises, and I will say that I completely get where you are coming from. Two of those ships, the Independence OTS and the Serenade OTS, were both "one and done" for us. We did not enjoy them near to our other cruise experiences. That said, I think that previous posters do have a point about the Oasis class ships. While I wouldn't say they are in our personal top tier of picks to cruise, I can definitely see why people like them, and I thought that our Oasis cruise was a big step up from either Independence or Serenade.

Hope this helps!

I'll admit, I'm one of the Princess fans. For us, we don't really care about the "bells and whistles" part, more so that they just get the basics right. I feel Princess does that really well. Their newer ships are definitely better (especially in the buffet), but that doesn't mean the older ones are terrible (in fact, the Explorer's Lounge on the older ships is much better than Princess Live!, which replaced it on the newer ships, but I digress). There are some definite things we love about Princess though:
  • The Princess Plus package, at $60 pppd, is, IMHO, one of the best out there. It includes your Gratuities, Wifi, and Drinks package. On Carnival, just the drinks are $70 pppd and Royal is usually well north of there. Also, if you have the Plus package, room service is still included (and you can actually order it to you wherever you are on the ship)
  • There is a good variety of included food options. It's not just the buffet and MDR. All Princess ships have a 24/7 "quick service" place off of the Piazza called the International Cafe. It is very similar if your Royal ship had a Promenade Cafe, except with a much wider selection and food that is actually edible. The Egg McMuffin type thing they have there for breakfast is amazing. The coffee bar is there as well, so you can follow that up with a salted caramel latte. Additionally, there is a poolside burger/taco/dog grill as well as pizza that is much better than DCL's or Royal's. I will admit that the buffets are better in the newer Princess ships, but the older ones are still fine.
  • I can get a much different itinerary it seems on Princess than I can on other lines. In fact, our last 2 Princess Cruises were a partial transit of the Panama Canal that also visited Cartagena and Costa Rica and a 12 night British Isles cruise that included not only stops in England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and France, but also a stop in Guernsey, which, if you had ever asked me "Hey, let's go to Guernsey", I would have looked at you like you were crazy, but it turned out to be one of our top destinations we've stopped at. We also have one on the books for the Summer of 2025 that is 12 nights and leaves the UK going to Bruges, Rotterdam, Oslo, Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Aarhus, Hamburg, and LeHavre.
  • Princess offers true 3rd and 4th sail free a good bit of the time. We did that on our last Europe cruise and are doing it on the next one. If you have a family of 3 or 4, it can be a big savings.
  • Movies are included in your stateroom. You don't have to pay for them like on Royal (Virgin Voyages is even better on this). As an additional bonus, if you are of a certain age, there are also tons of "Love Boat" reruns on the TV system (but, alas, no "Fantasy Island" right after them)...
  • Princess tends to have a lot of live music scattered around numerous venues. One time, on an Alaskan cruise, we just happened to stop in one of the "pub" like bars and an Irish band was just starting, handing out sing-a-long songbooks to "somewhat dirty" Irish songs. That was very unexpected and fun (The Patter only said "Band Name" appearing in Pub, had no actual idea that it was going to be as crazy fun as it was). On another cruise, they let the "Crew band", which was all crew members that just played together in their off-time, put on a concert in the Piazza and they were great. So, while they don't have so much "Broadway" type shows, they have a lot of other type of entertainment. Also, do not miss the "Yes/No" game show if you go on Princess (though it does depend on how good your Cruise Director is).
If you are going just adults, then I'd highly recommend Virgin Voyages. Now, that's a completely different thing, but it is amazing.

If you still like the mainline cruise lines, then you can always just try something different. The new Carnival ships (Mardi Gras, Celebration, Jubilee) are a huge step up for the line and the included food is great.

And I'll close by getting back to Royal... We've done 3 Royal cruises, and I will say that I completely get where you are coming from. Two of those ships, the Independence OTS and the Serenade OTS, were both "one and done" for us. We did not enjoy them near to our other cruise experiences. That said, I think that previous posters do have a point about the Oasis class ships. While I wouldn't say they are in our personal top tier of picks to cruise, I can definitely see why people like them, and I thought that our Oasis cruise was a big step up from either Independence or Serenade.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! I've been looking at Princess for Alaska (Royal Princess with Glacier Bay) and I'm warming up to it. We are also looking at Celebrity but I feel like Princess will have a bit more of interest for my teenager with all their special Alaska programming. This info is really helpful though!

@tidefan, I liked your description of Princess! We also took a cruise around the British Islands that stopped at Guernsey, and that was a highlight, the Orkney Islands as well. I think Princess Cruisetours in Alaska are great too! Loved being at Denali, plus our luggage was taken care of without a hitch!

Hope this helps!
I agree with a lot of what you said. I agree the Princess Plus is a great deal, and I love OceanNow (that you can get food/drinks delivered to pretty much wherever you are on the ship). I too enjoyed the International Cafe, and actually had one of those egg mcmuffin-type sandwiches and a salted caramel latte most mornings on my Panama Canal cruise this past January! Their poolside pizza is amazing as well. I also agree they have some pretty nice itineraries and their live music is great.

Yes, movies are free, but I found the selection quite lacking. Maybe I've been spoiled by DCL, lol.

I'm also curious to try Virgin Voyages someday, so happy to hear your assessment that for adults only it's a good option.

Thanks! I've been looking at Princess for Alaska (Royal Princess with Glacier Bay) and I'm warming up to it. We are also looking at Celebrity but I feel like Princess will have a bit more of interest for my teenager with all their special Alaska programming. This info is really helpful though!
Quick note: Royal is essentially the same layout as Regal which I was just on, and I think from the upper decks you'd have some really nice views of Alaska. The teen area is really nice but your teen's use of it will be, based on my observation, largely proportional to the number of friends they make on the cruise.

Would definitely bring some games to play. Library will have puzzles and some of the generic board games that cruise ships have. But something portable will help pass the time away, especially if you tire of looking at coastlines. I recommend Coup (very compact), Citadels (can put everything into zip-top bags, Codenames (ditto) and Exploding Kittens (compact, but game mechanics are such that you'll have to create "house rules" to prevent people from hoarding cards).

it does depend on how good your Cruise Director is
Isn't this always the case? I did really like Allie, the CD on Regal (apparently the new CD isn't as popular). I feel like she and her staff made the cruise more enjoyable. And it wasn't as if they were doing anything earth-shattering, but they really felt invested in what they were doing (in some cases, they were allowed to create their own trivia games) and I think that helped to elevate everyone's spirits - even when rain prevented us from going outside.

Their poolside pizza is amazing as well.
Easily the best free pizza I've had on a cruise ship. I don't know what they do that's different, but they should stick with it.

Yes, movies are free, but I found the selection quite lacking. Maybe I've been spoiled by DCL, lol.
On my cruise they were showing NFL playoff games on the pool screen. Which was funny because I saw DCL and Royal commercials during the ad breaks.

Carnival texts you when your table is ready and you have 15 minutes to get there. Much better than standing in lines
NCL does too but they do MTD very well, our family of 7 just shows up and gets seated, never had a buzzer (hoping for time to gran a drink from the bar service since bar service is pretty awful in the MDR’s).

Easily the best free pizza I've had on a cruise ship. I don't know what they do that's different, but they should stick with it.

On my cruise they were showing NFL playoff games on the pool screen. Which was funny because I saw DCL and Royal commercials during the ad breaks.
Same here. That was a lot of fun!

Just wanted to thank the OP for this review. I see a lot of the comments are defending RCL (and I agree with many of them) but it also shows why there are many different cruise lines. Not everybody has the same expectations when they cruise and selecting the right line/ship is important.

Hi, I feel you, I was underwhelmed with Odyssey. I have been on other Royal Caribbeans and like them better. The ship was beautiful and was able to do all the activities but felt it could have been better even Playmakers. My next cruise is on the Allure of the Seas and Icon of the Seas. So excited to be trying those two. I will say service on the Odyssey was excellent. Thank you for your review although didn't agree with some of it, it is nice to read everyone's experience.

We posted a few times for questions beforehand, and thank you all who contributed. It was super helpful-particularly people who had just recently cruised. We sailed the Odyssey of the Seas, this was our first Royal Caribbean experience, having previously only cruised Disney one time prior to Covid. So in no way do I have a lot of experience to compare anything too, but thought I'd share some thoughts in case this helps anyone else.

Pros (things that were wonderful): I'll probably give my pros here based on "Was it Disney quality?" if that helps.
--The ship was clean and neat, beautiful art work etc. Our ocean view balcony cabin was spacious, the deck was great (comfortable chairs, great view, etc.)
--Broadway style shows may have actually had a slight edge to Disney, the performers were wonderful talented, etc.
--Our main dining room (we did NOT do any specialty restaurants) service was amazing--Disney quality wait staff, etc. in every way. Just wonderful employees.
--Port everglades easy to get into, muster drill efficient and fast, also easy to get off the ship.
--The views were amazing...beautiful blue waters, etc.

Cons: (and full disclosure we were overall very underwhelmed by this experience).
--Port was changed to Nassau at last minute instead of Labadee, we did send an email to RC asking for credits (letting them know it was advertised and marketed as an Eastern Caribbean cruise and not a Bahamian cruise, which we had no interest in), and got a firm no, cited their policy they can change ports and (this was the insulting part) told me I could get a discount if I booked a future cruise while on board. I did respond back (respectful but assertive) and that was over a week ago, I've gotten zero response back from them.
--On board we had 2 staterooms, in our kids rooms the beds were split as we had asked--but super easy fix once we called guest services.
--Drink packages--difficult to use. We got the classic soda for my kids and husband, I got the refreshment package. I attempted to use to the refreshment package at 270 barista station (for both a fresh squeezed juice and a latte morning 1) and was told I could only get one drink and would need to get back in line for a 2nd one. I asked again to clarify, (and said "I'd have to wait in that again"--it was about a 7-10 minute line) and was told "yes, it won't hurt you to wait in line again"...I kid you not that was verbatim. They give you a cup on the soda package and you are expected to carry it with you everywhere (except Windjammer and MDR) if you want to use it, the freestyle coke machines rarely ever had ice in them, lines were long, etc. We did end up "losing" money on the drink packages as they were not easy to use, especially since our Labadee (which should have been inclusive) got switched to Nassau
--theatres--seats very uncomfortable and lots of obstructed views, we even would get there 20-30 minutes early to try and scout out good ones. In Royal theatre almost all the chairs were broken down (this ship was new in 2021 to put it in comparison) and you felt like you were sliding forward a lot. A shame because the shows were the highlight for us.
--excursions--we booked both directly with Royal, and were very disappointed in them. The Puerto Plata was a cooking class and water park. They put the cooking class in middle of the day so we never really had time to enjoy the park before or after before having to get back on the bus. We were very displeased about Nassau, but attempted to make the most and booked the Best of Nassau and Paradise island excursion about $65ish per person--we were taken to Paradise island and parked in the parking lot of the huge Atlantis resort and given 30 minutes to go see it--it felt like we were crashing other people's all inclusive as we peaked at their pools, signs all over trying to block us from using bathrooms, etc. as this must be a common problem for them with these tour buses, etc. and the other stop was to a public park on the beach and you needed additional money to actually go into the fort (which we didn't know to bring) additional money to buy food/drink from the bar area (even though it had told us bottled water was part of this "luxury air conditioned bus" it was never offered, and we were solicited and approached by street vendors almost constantly during the 20 minute stop here). Save your money--excursions based on the 2 we went on, not worth the cost.
--The ship was so boring, very little offerings compared to Disney (or maybe this is just a post-covid thing for all of them) on sea days other than trivia. The arcade was small and many of the machines didn't work, the shared "seaplex" rarely offered anything that we'd do and when it was (laser tag, etc.) it was offered during dinner, the pools were crazy swamped crowded, even in the adult only area and just sensory overload for us--we spent a lot of time in our staterooms. We booked this ship due to the Sky Pad for our teens--they still show it in all their marketing material, including the film showing it as we boarded the ship--but it has been completely taken out and replaced with cornhole. we never got to use the Northstar because you needed advance reservations or you had to pay an upcharge...it never worked.
--The running track is on the same deck as the pool loungers so basically its crowded and unusable all the time, frustrating to both the people trying to use the pool and hot tubs who get smacked by the folks trying to run, and equally frustrating for those trying to use the track and its always wet, and kids are jumping in/out at you. Poor design.
--elevators a nightmare, plan to use the steps and I found horrible for disabled folks. They are motion sensored and the elevators are always packed, so someone is sensoring all the buttons much of the time, making them stop at each floor...so it took forever to get an elevator anytime you needed one.
--Food underwhelming in quality, the El Loco fresh tasted like Taco bell, the pizza so/so, and the main dining room and Windjammer got slightly better over the trip, but nothing to rave home about, Applebees quality?
--My time dining is NOT my Time dining....you need a reservation or you stand in a very long line each night. You make the reservations months in advance and then it often interferes with the time of the nightly shows. Very inflexible and chaotic (A LOT of other guests we spoke too were not happy). Again, good service, just really poor design.
--Royal Promenade--Huge amount of the ship space is devoted to very expensive shopping--I think there were 5 watch stores, I kid you not--Rolex, etc. and I never saw anyone actually purchasing the high end jewelry, sunglasses, handbags, etc. to account for taking up that much ship space). Royal felt a lot "fancier" than Disney in everyway--but while we make a good living, we have no desire to pay thousands of dollars for handbags and jewelry and it would have been nice to see some shopping geared toward just a middle class family. These parts of the ship never crowded, while other parts people are walking all over themselves. Poor design.

Overall:

Underwhelmed, we don't plan to cruise Royal again. Maybe this is just a cruise in general, but we have no desire to go back to Nassau again, it was a huge turn off, so maybe cruising in general is just not our thing (Disney uses this port a lot too). We felt very nickel and dimed on Royal, almost everything is an upcharge (any sort of on ship entertainment, etc.). While not at all Royal's fault, my husband got sea lice exposure (we think anyway--he dipped his feet in for just a second at Chill Island and it was too cold to swim in for our taste so he got out right away) later that evening a rash showed up all over where his feet and ankles had been and he had violent sickness that night (TMI, but both vomiting and diarrhea and just slept all the next day).
We were on Allure of the Seas in January and our experience echos yours. The food was awful. You can tell they really want you to go to the speciality restaurants. We had late dining which was fine but from 4-7 there was nothing to do and then while we were eating there was a ton of stuff going on.

We sailed on the Carnival Celebration last year (mardi gras and jubilee are the sister ships) and had a great time. Always multiple things to do, food was great. We were pleasantly surprised. Also we had the any time dining which was a much better system. You would just request a table on app and then it would tell you when your table would be ready, so no standing in long lines, it was great.

We were on Allure of the Seas in January and our experience echos yours. The food was awful. You can tell they really want you to go to the speciality restaurants. We had late dining which was fine but from 4-7 there was nothing to do and then while we were eating there was a ton of stuff going on.

We sailed on the Carnival Celebration last year (mardi gras and jubilee are the sister ships) and had a great time. Always multiple things to do, food was great. We were pleasantly surprised. Also we had the any time dining which was a much better system. You would just request a table on app and then it would tell you when your table would be ready, so no standing in long lines, it was great.
Ahh thanks for your reviews on both of these. Going on a 3 day with Allure and next year doing Carnival Celebration. I have only cruised Royal and Disney so looking forward to trying something new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter