Just me, 4 Dd's and a trailer?

Then you definitely need to get some practice in beforehand. As someone suggested, go to a deserted parking lot (I used the local high school's this summer) and practice turning and backing. We discovered that I (not DH) was best at backing. It may be that you won't need someone to actually back your unit in, but just to give you some guidance while you do it. It is much easier to get someone to spot than to back in, even though I don't think that you would have any difficulty in doing either.

I think going on this trip actually sends a healthy message of strength to your daughters. While it would be understandable that simple grief could prevent or postpone your trip, it certainly wouldn't do to imply in any way that "the girls" can't handle this without a male along. I think going on this trip will help them see that while we women love having the guys along, that sometimes it doesn't work out that way, and having a male presence it isn't essential to being able to make the trip.

Good luck with everything.

I am so sorry for your loss that mere words cannot express it.

I am glad you are finding the help you may need, but remember you always have the option of changing to a cabin. You would have all the fun of Fort Wilderness but wouldn't have the stress of driving that distance alone with 4 kids and a travel trailer. I don't know how comfortable you are with the driving, but I know how tiring driving a motorhome is, and I know that driving a TT is even more exhausting. I also know that just keeping the kids happy on a trip is a job!

Best of luck on whatever you decide--and keep us posted! We care:wave:

I too am so sorry about your husband. But being the type person I am I'd be doing the trip. I to can dirve the trailer (ours is only 26')but can back up to save my soul. But I'm learning. I practice in parking lots. Like so of the others have said. You will be showing your girls remarkable strength by doing this trip. No you wont have the same pace you would have and it may take you longer but with the magic of Disney you will be fine. In the end it is up to you. Don't forget to learn how to winterize it before you get home unless you have heated storage.
I'll be praying for you and just remember he's still with you.

I was going to responsed to you thread on the community board but might as well hit two birds... There is an expert on Grieving Dr. Kubbler-Ross. She has 5 stages that I can't remember off hand..Something like Anger,Bargining,Denial, Aceptance I forgot one in ther somewhere. It sounds like everyone in your family is going thru one of these stages at the same time which is very normal. I am so sorry for this loss in your life and my only advice is take it Minute by minute, Day by day. I don't think you truely get over a loss like this but it becomes a part of you and makes you the person you are. It is how your spirit continues on ... I am glad you have a grief counselor. I would recommend maybe contacting Childrens Hospital (Northwestern??) for a pediatric greif conselor. Kids are so much different then adults..

Take the trailer and go! Someone will help and who knows you might be able to back it up yourself! How about a test run? There is a great campground in Wisconsin Dells called Baraboo Hills that has nice pull thru sites if your game! Although driving on I90 can be a pain. It might be a nice deversion for you. I also have 3 DD and my DH had a heart attack when he was 34. He makes sure I am able to drive our trailer and everything else around the house after that because he wants his family to still be able to do everything if he is gone. I am sure your DH would want you to go too! If you ever need help just ask since we are "neighbors"

Take Care!!
Sue

Vicki,
My husband wanted me to email you and say to pleassse practice before you travel that far. He did not know where you lived when I told him your story. He is truly concerned about you traveling that far with the girls all alone with a trailer. Not that he does not think you can do it, just concerned about you not know how to hook up and pull the trailer...
He said you may want to see if someone that has a trailer in your area can come out and show you how to attach the sway bars, dont try driving that far without sway bars. Take many practice runs in the area getting on the express way, and remember that stopping is different when you have extra weight behind you. do you have electric brakes hooked up? .. He is concerned that is such a long trip to make alone with the girls, potty & food stops.

Please email me with any questions We are looking forward to meeting you and the girls in November at Fort Wilderness....

Since someone else has expressed some concern, I will join in too. I am worried about you driving and the possible weather conditions. I know it SHOULD be fine that time of year, but the midwest does get occasional ice and snow in November. It would take very little ice to cause problems. We drove to Boca one Spring Break and hit an ice storm in Atlanta on the way home. It was terrible! GA does not have the equipment to clear the roads and we ended up sitting on the hiway in our car for 24 hours!! They closed the road and all traffic just sat there all night. It was cold and frightening. This was in March. I do not want to tell you that you can not do this, but just want to be sure that you think every possible situation through. Even if you do not take the camper, please go, just stay at one of the other resorts.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter