• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just read this about the Haunted Mansion

I think that the "classics" are the only thing KEEPING DL's attendance where it is at now! Lord knows that no one is coming to see any of the cardboard cut-outs or cheap stuff they've been doing lately. Maybe instead of crazy talk like this, they should think about bringing back MORE of the classics and just admit that Walt knew best.

Roy

We were forewarned about this by Mr. Voice. Apparently, its the only way to get money for refurbishment sometimes.

Some new affects wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as long as they don't change the overall feel of the attraction. However, judging by the way they changed the overall feel of the Tiki Room, I wouldn't be shocked if they did the same with HM. Disappointed, yes, but not shocked.

Well, when they changed it for Nightmare before Christmas, it brought the people in, so they have precident.

Oh no! I hope they do not change it. That is part of what is wonderful about Disney-- the Tradition.

I grew up in Las Vegas, so I was lucky enough to visit Disney almost once a year. I can date my growing up times by my reaction to rides. Those high school trips, riding the Matterhorn with that guy you have a crush on? What a rush! And the Haunted Mansion-- I can picture in my mind myself at a variety of ages with a variety of co-passengers in the mirror with the ghost.

When my son was two my husband and I took him to Disneyland for the first time. As we walked through the gates, I couldn't help but start to cry. Here I could share with my son so many special things from my childhood!!! Matterhorn, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Dumbo and Peter Pan are what it's all about for me when I'm with my kids. My daughter will say: "Mommy. Did you do this when you were a tiny girl like me?" I proudly answer yes. That is so much part of the magic of Disney.

I hope they don't mess up this ride. Going to the Haunted Mansion so often feels like going "home." Just call me a historic preservationist!:mad: :earseek:

"They have a strategy at Disneyland that one of the things they have to do is bring people back to the park," Minkoff said. "[Changing staple rides is] the way they do it. ... When they have an opportunity to do something new, to give it a little bit of a reawakening, they're very excited."

Did I ever mention here that The Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride? This is what I fear, potentially chipping away at what has always made the Disney theme parks so magical. :(

Progress is a good thing, yet I agree it needs to be balanced with tradition.

It is possible to do both. That's what I meant when I said I wouldn't want them to change the feel of HM. I'm fine with updating scenes, effects, etc, as long as it doesn't become the Nutty Professor meets the Haunted Mansion.

I only have one reaction:
puke.gif

I feel like my guts have been ripped out. :(

Unfortunately none of the recent refurbs have given me any confidence that this can be anything but a disaster. If they want to make a movie about BTMRR, fine. Matterhorn? Great. Space Mountain? Sure. The Jungle Cruise? By all means. Temple Of The Forbidden Eye? I hope they do. But don't screw with the Haunted Mansion (or Pirates for that matter)!

I'm afraid to ask, but what other movies are they making based on the rides? I'll be back after I get liquored up to read the answer. :(

""""There are some of the images from the ride that we are going to incorporate into the storytelling, but really the goal is you'll watch this movie as its own thing,” Minkoff said. “It's not about a ride. What will happen is you'll see the movie, and you'll go, 'Oh, I understand slightly differently what that meant [in the ride].' It will actually have more of an inflection on the ride than the ride will have an inflection on the movie… """
Isn't this the main complaint when any movie is made from another source that is so beloved. Everyone wonders why they had to change it so drasticly. There are very few projects like this that capture the feel and story of the original whether it is a novel, comic bookm TV show, remake or, now, themepark attraction.
So now we will have Hauntred House movie with a cople of eefects that resemble a scene or part of a scene in the ride and the rest of the movie has nothing to do with it and Mr Minkoff wants parts of his movie to infect the Haunted Mansion ride????
Hopefully AV is right and this movie is on hold forever. Or renamed and not tied into the ride.

The quote in the previous post was a little hard to follow... The way I read that paragraph it sounded like he was saying that the movie will inflect the ride-- highlight some scenes from the attraction to add authenticity-- while the ride will not inflect the movie-- it will not incorporate scenes from the film...

Unless I'm way off (which I could be), it sounds like he's just saying that (like the country bears) the film will be a way to promote and create new interest in the attraction, while the attraction will not be used to promote the film. They made a Disney Channel movie based on the Tower of Terror, but they didn't add Steve Guttenberg to the ride.

1) They've closed the CBJ in California, but there are no such plans for the original (at WDW).

2) If Tower of Terror was made for WWOD on ABC, I missed it. I did, however see it on more than one occasion when it was broadcast on Disney Channel as "A Disney Channel Original Movie". Maybe it was repurposed, but that does not change the point of my comment.

Last I heard the HM was not on hold production is set to start in Nov.

Originally posted by Safari Steve

2) If Tower of Terror was made for WWOD on ABC, I missed it. I did, however see it on more than one occasion when it was broadcast on Disney Channel as "A Disney Channel Original Movie". Maybe it was repurposed, but that does not change the point of my comment.

It was a Movie of the Week for both- Disney TV/ABC.

If this is really true, I'd have to agree with Jeff's reaction.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter