Keep Calm and Go to Disney! 10/21 - 11/4/14 COMPLETE

Barb - I really enjoy reading your dining and trip reports!!! Can't wait!! :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading! Glad to have you here.

Hi Barb! So excited for your new dining report. Have a great time and enjoy yourself! :)

Hi Chris! Happy to have you along again.

Hope you have safe travels and a wonderful trip!

Hi Rachel! And thanks, it was pretty wonderful! :thumbsup2

I'm in! A Disney trip sounds like just what you need.

Have a safe trip and I can't wait to hear all about it.

Jill in CO

Thanks Jill! It was exactly what I needed. :)

Hi Barb! Sorry I'm a few days late, but I just wanted to wish you a magical trip!

I followed you on IG too - looking forward to seeing the updates. :goodvibes

Hello DDW! So great to have you here!

Hi Barb! Enjoy your trip!!! I look forward to hearing all about it. I'll miss you and the gals! :)

Thanks Brenda! Wish you could have been there. :goodvibes

I'm here and ready to eat vicariously through you!! I cant imagine 2 weeks at WDW!!

and staying at MY favorite places too!!

We've stayed at WL 2xs and we'll be at BWI in June 2015!!

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Glad to have you here! And the Wilderness Lodge and the Boardwalk are both great resorts. Hope you have a great stay at the BWI in June! :)

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks for joining in!

Hi Barb,

It was really nice to meet you. It worked out well that we were both at the WL at the same time. I hope the rest of your trip was good. I'm looking forward to reading about all your dining adventures. :goodvibes

Hi Sue! I'm so glad I got to meet you and your DH. :goodvibes Happy to have you reading along.

Sneaking in at the last minute I see...can't wait to hear about your solo run chock full of friends. I always enjoy reading your threads, Barb!

Thanks Dawn! So glad to see you here! :)

C'mon Barb, let's get thses food reviews started. I mean, you got home yesterday, what's keeping you? :lmao:

Hey Joh! Darn cold :sick:...and now Don has come down with it too! :guilty:
Meeting you and your family was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. I'm so glad we were finally able to make that happen. :goodvibes

Looking forward to this report! Two weeks! I can only dream about that!

Thank you! It was pretty dreamy. I feel very lucky that I was able to do it.

Subscribing

Thank you for subscribing!

Looking forward to your reviews.

Thanks for joining in, Angela!

Excited to be joining in!! We're planning a January 2015 trip, and I see several of our dining experiences on your list (Jiko, Kona breakfast, Tutto Gusto). Excited to hear all about them!

I've loved following your reviews over the past few years!! Can't wait for this one!! Hope you feel better soon!!

Thanks for taking the time to post !!!! It will help me narrow down our wish list.

Glad to be of help. Thanks for joining in! :)

Excited to be joining in!! We're planning a January 2015 trip, and I see several of our dining experiences on your list (Jiko, Kona breakfast, Tutto Gusto). Excited to hear all about them!

January will be here before you know it. I'd better get crackin' on these reviews. ;)

I've loved following your reviews over the past few years!! Can't wait for this one!! Hope you feel better soon!!

Thanks for the kind words! :goodvibes I'm feeling much better now.

I am so glad I found your new report! I cannot wait to read all about your trip!

Glad you found me. Thanks for reading! :thumbsup2

Since much of my trip focused on the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, I will begin my report with my free Chase Disney VISA photo...

NOTE: For any Chase Disney VISA cardholders, there is a Character Meet 'N' Greet held at Epcot's Innoventions West (the one on the Land side of Future World) every day from 1 - 7 p.m. They keep you guessing as to exactly which characters you will be meeting. This time it was only Mickey and Goofy, but on a previous trip we saw them plus Minnie and Pluto. Regardless, it was only a short wait to see them and you get a free 5 x 7 photo so in my book that's a WIN/WIN! :thumbsup2

DAY 1 - Tuesday, October 21

Because I knew that Epcot was the park which I wanted to visit on the evening of my arrival at WDW, I decided to spend the first of my 14 nights at the resort which is closest to it...

The only request which I made during my online check-in was to be near the lobby. When I arrived at the Beach Club I had been assigned Room #2523. Upon getting off the elevator on the 2nd floor I set off on a seemingly never-ending journey to find my room. As you might have surmised, my room location request to be close to the lobby had not been granted. :sad2: When I had nearly reached the end of the very last hallway, I finally found Room 2523. Inside I found only one bed, not a king-size but I believe it may have been a queen.

There was also a small desk, a sofa (which I assume was a sleeper sofa, but forgot to verify) and a large chair. In addition there was a curtain which could be drawn to separate the bed from the sitting area.

And the remaining room furnishings...

Oh wait, there was also a 4-drawer chest of drawers between the closet and door.

With the exception of this cute desk lamp...

I found the room furnishings/decor to be kind of boring. The casual, fun "beach" theme of the resort seemed to be almost completely missing in this room. I would have to say that of the four deluxe resorts that I called home on this trip, the room decor at the Beach Club was my least favorite. I have read that the Beach Club is now in the process of refurbishing their rooms (project to be completed in Aug. 2015) so hopefully, if and when I stay there again, the new room will leave me with a better impression.

Anyway, since I was there for only one night, the room decor was actually of very little importance to me. Also unimportant was the size of my balcony, which was very small...

Though I had tried to book one of their least expensive rooms, Standard view (= Parking lot/rooftop view), the only type they had available for that night with the Annual Passholder discount was a Garden view. So when I went out to my balcony I was expecting to see trees/landscaping but was surprised to discover that I had been upgraded to a Water view (=Pool/Lagoon view). My room overlooked the Beach Club's quiet pool.

On the left side, between the trees, you could even see a little bit of the lagoon.

Here's a photo of my room from the outside, to give you another perspective. It appears that the rooms on either side of me also had a standing room only balcony (which would be #2525 and #2521), while the 3rd floor rooms above us had full balconies.

Now for the best surprise regarding my room, which I did not discover until I left for dinner. I noticed that there was an EXIT door just a few doors down from my room and decided to see where that might lead. I walked down a flight of stairs to the ground level and exited the building to find myself here...

In case you don't recognize the location from that photo, here is another one...

Yes, that is the bridge which is just steps away from Epcot's backdoor (aka the International Gateway entrance). SCORE!!! :cool1: Shoot, now I wish I was going to be here for more than one night. :laughing:

One more photo to show you the location of my room # 2523 on a Beach Club Resort map...

Given that I went to Epcot 10 of the 14 days of my trip, my room location at the Beach Club would have been ideal...especially following my French Regional Lunch at Monsieur Paul. ;)

And that completes the short review of my one night stay at the Beach Club. Sorry it was void of any food-related photos. But stay tuned for my first taste of Disney food coming up momentarily. :thumbsup2

Next up: Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse

It was just a short walk to the restaurant where I would have my first meal of the trip, since it is located right next door at the Beach Club's sister resort, the Yacht Club.

My first restaurant choice to kick off my trip may come as a surprise to those who have read my last two dining reports. In case you are new to my reports though, I will explain that Yachtsman Steakhouse and I have developed somewhat of a love/hate relationship over the four years since we first met. If you had asked me my opinion of YSH just one year ago, I would have sung its praises. At that time, it ranked second only to California Grill as my favorite WDW restaurant. But then came my Dec. '13 dinner there with a DIS group of 11 which was not a great dining experience. The food was okay, but the service was painfully slow and our server seemed quite frazzled. While this shook my faith in YSH, I blamed it on the inability of our server to handle a large group of people. Therefore I was happy to join a smaller group of DIS friends at their dinner at YSH during my April 2014 trip to the World. Although we again had the same server, I assumed that our group of only 5 should not be a problem for an experienced waiter at a signature restaurant. Well, you are probably familiar with that quote, “You should never assume. You know what happens when you assume. You make an a$$ out of you and me." ;) But to make matters worse...much worse, our food was bad. None of our steaks were properly cooked, much of our food was over salted, and one of our group received a piece of beef that strongly resembled an old leather shoe. Although most of the cost for this meal was later refunded (thanks to Paula further pursuing the issue), this dinner still left a bad taste in my mouth...literally. But despite this I felt that I should give Yachtsman one last chance before writing it off, and so that is how it came to be that I again found myself peering through this window...

I arrived pretty much on time for my 5:10 ADR (the restaurant opens at 5:00) and saw that the restaurant was still nearly empty...

So what do you suppose were the chances that I would be seated at one of the few tables which was serviced by the one waiter who I did not want? Yes, you guessed it. I was seated at a two-top and told that my server would be, "He who shall not be named". {Note to self: Never leave things to chance} Surprising both me and the maitre d', I then heard myself politely requesting a different server. He excused himself for a minute and then returned to uproot and lead me to a table in one of the back corners of the restaurant...

Though this felt a little like "the walk of shame", in the end I believe that my decision to "rock the boat" (or in this case, the yacht ;)) was justifiable. In order to give YSH a fair shake, I needed to somehow break the "downward spiral" pattern which had developed over my last two visits there and it was my hope that having a different server might be enough to do that.

And speaking of old patterns, I've always ordered the same entree during my seven previous visits to YSH so I considered changing things up this time and trying something else from this menu...

I thought about ordering the White Gulf Shrimp but I was determined to have room for dessert this time, so I opted to just have one of the delicious YSH onion rolls as my appetizer...

Oh, and don't forget the salted butter and roasted garlic...Mmmm!

And I also started with my usual beverage here, Iced Tea.

What makes this better than your common ordinary glass of freshly brewed tea is that it is served with a small pitcher of simple syrup, making it quite easy to transform the ordinary into an extraordinary glass of deliciously sweet tea. :thumbsup2

Now for the moment of truth, and the truth is that I couldn't bring myself to order any other entree here than the...

8 oz. Black Angus Filet Mignon with Cabernet Wine Sauce and served with Mashed Potatoes

And I'm happy to report that this time my filet was properly cooked to the medium temperature which I requested and was absolutely delicious! The meat was very tender and well-seasoned and the red wine sauce complemented it perfectly. My one minor criticism was that the mashed potatoes were over salted so I didn't enjoy them quite as much as I usually do. While they were still buttery and good, they would have been great if only the chef had not been so heavy handed with his salt shaker. ;)

But since I did not eat all of my mashed potatoes, I had further justification for ordering dessert...

I've had both the Creme Brulee and the Yachtsman Sundae before and both were good. But I was happy to see that the best dessert that I've had at YSH was still on their menu...

Chocolate-Peanut Cake with Pretzels, Liquid Ganache, and Salted Caramel Gelato

While the cake is pretty tasty, my favorite part of this dessert is actually the salted caramel gelato...YUM!! :goodvibes

So instead of three strikes you're out, Yachtsman led off with nearly a home run to kick off my 14 days of Disney dining. With the exception of the mashed potatoes, the food was great and the service was much improved. Much to my surprise, this meal actually ended up being among my favorite dinners of the trip. Consequently, Yachtsman Steakhouse is once again in my good graces...for now anyway. ;)

Next up: A Musical Interlude with fireworks

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had an overly salted meal at Yachtsman. Our steaks were properly cooked, and our server was lovely...but everything was SO SO salty :(

Enjoying your review so far!

I'm so glad Yachtsman redeemed itself. After the last couple reviews I read I was nervous for you!

Great location at the Beach Club (despite the distance from the lobby). Funnily enough, I used online check in for the first time this trip and requested nar elevators and our room at BWV could not have been further away from the elevators - so much for online check in and room requests :rolleyes:

Sounds like you kicked off your trip with a great meal at Yachtsman - and I am glad you requested a different server and gave yourself (and Yachtsman) a fighting chance :thumbsup2

I'm glad YSH redeemed itself! Good for you for asking for a new server. Those onion rolls are to die for. I had that dessert before and it is yummy!

Jill in CO

I'm here!! I've silently enjoyed your DRs from afar and now I feel the need to comment :) I'm glad YSH is back in your good graces, we loved our meal there! (and now I wonder who he who must not be named is....)

Can't wait for more nibbles :)

Primo spot there at the Beach Club! That is a great walk to Epcot. I wish we had gotten so lucky. We kept having to schlep from the far end of BWV.

YSH looks good. I am glad you had a better experience this time. I just hate it when I am disappointed by a favorite.

BTW, how do you put updates in your title? I haven't figured out how to do it yet. I am so inept at this computer thing.

Primo spot there at the Beach Club! That is a great walk to Epcot. I wish we had gotten so lucky. We kept having to schlep from the far end of BWV.

YSH looks good. I am glad you had a better experience this time. I just hate it when I am disappointed by a favorite.

BTW, how do you put updates in your title? I haven't figured out how to do it yet. I am so inept at this computer thing.

Niki, on your first post click on 'edit' and then 'go advanced'. You can then edit your post title :thumbsup2

NOTE: For any Chase Disney VISA cardholders, there is a Character Meet 'N' Greet held at Epcot's Innoventions West (the one on the Land side of Future World) every day from 1 - 7 p.m. They keep you guessing as to exactly which characters you will be meeting. This time it was only Mickey and Goofy, but on a previous trip we saw them plus Minnie and Pluto. Regardless, it was only a short wait to see them and you get a free 5 x 7 photo so in my book that's a WIN/WIN! :thumbsup2
We took our grandson for this free picture and were thrilled to have Minnie and Pluto. Our grandson's favorite character is Pluto. This really is a good deal. :thumbsup2

Yes, that is the bridge which is just steps away from Epcot's backdoor (aka the International Gateway entrance). SCORE!!! :cool1: Shoot, now I wish I was going to be here for more than one night. :laughing:
The Beach Club is one of our favorite resorts and the one that we have stayed at the most. The proximity to Epcot is the major reason we like to stay there. ::yes::

So instead of three strikes you're out, Yachtsman led off with nearly a home run to kick off my 14 days of Disney dining. With the exception of the mashed potatoes, the food was great and the service was much improved. Much to my surprise, this meal actually ended up being among my favorite dinners of the trip. Consequently, Yachtsman Steakhouse is once again in my good graces...for now anyway. ;)
I'm glad that you had such a good experience at the Yachtsman. I read about your Dec and April dining experiences and they really sounded horrible. So it is really nice that this time was a winner. :thumbsup2

I'm sorry to hear that the mashed potatoes were too salty. I had the mashed potatoes with my dinner at Crews Cup Lounge on Sept 24th and they were delicious. (I assume that they were the same ones that are served at the Yachtsman.) I'm glad that they weren't as salty as the ones you were served.

Well that turned out to be a great room location for Food & Wine. Like you said, too bad you weren't staying there longer. But 14 days is outstanding! I would love to be there for 14 days.

And glad that Yachtsman's redeemed itself. Last time we dined there everything was also way to salty. Couldn't even eat the Ceasar salad that we ordered. But that picture of your steak makes me wish I was having that for breakfast! Looks fantastic.

And we always go to Crew's Cup Lounge for the rock shrimp appetizer and the truffle fries. Yum. It is just a nice lounge to go to for a snack and get away from all the hustle bustle.

Fireworks next. Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter