Kobe Bryant --TMZ Reports He Died In Helicopter Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
This won't be a popular post.

IIRC, the woman who accused Kobe of rape received death threats. Eventually, she opted for a civil suit instead of prosecution. Why? Given the way people are taking his death, is there any doubt he would never have been found guilty, no matter the evidence? Or that a crazed fan would have killed her? If you're receiving death threats and are pretty sure you'll never gain a conviction because of how beloved your accused rapist is, it isn't unreasonable to ditch the criminal case and go for a civil suit. If you read his statement from when the dust settled, it is cringe inducing. I realize there was never a criminal conviction, so he is not legally guilty. But I also know, given the evidence and his own statement, I always believed he was most likely guilty.

He may have turned his life around and done much good, but when I think of how I'd feel about him if I or my DD had been the woman in question, I can't generate warm fuzzy feelings. I fail to understand the deification we are witnessing. Still, a wife has lost a husband and child, and children have lost a father and sister. That is a tragedy. As it is for all the families involved.
Thank you. This was very well said and basically expresses my thoughts on the matter. I believe in the presumption of innocence, but just reading his apology statement and the reports of what he is said to have told the police make me very uncomfortable with the adulation being thrown his way.

That is very presumptuous of you, I have never been a Lakers fan. Kobe as a player while extraordinarily gifted was also selfish and arrogant, he got away with it because he produced results.
I do appreciate him being a loyal franchise member, I don't think enough players are these days while chasing the ring (looking at you LeBron).
I don't think he need to be vilified, but I don't think he should necessarily be hero worshipped either.
I certainly thing his life as a total is open for people to discuss and that we should not be telling people to let it go that he raped someone.
When OJ dies will we let it go that he murdered someone? I mean he wasnt found guilty....

He chose not to be tried by buying off his accuser.
If he was truly innocent he could have cleared his name.
His accuser chose to drop the charges, you mean.

She still made the choice not to go to trial.
You stated that Kobe chose not to be tried by paying her off.
Now you are moving the goal posts stating she was threatened and harassed.
It was still her choice, you can't put that on him "choosing to not be tried"
Ironic to talk about "choice" so much when rape is the topic.

She still made the choice not to go to trial.
You stated that Kobe chose not to be tried by paying her off.
Now you are moving the goal posts stating she was threatened and harassed.
It was still her choice, you can't put that on him "choosing to not be tried"

I never said he paid her off, you're mixing up posters.

I do think there may have been some behind the scenes pressure from Bryant's team to get her to drop the criminal case in return for his apology (issued the day the case was dismissed) and a civil settlement. Add in the harassment she was facing and it's understandable she'd want to just give up and put it behind her.

I never said he paid her off, you're mixing up posters.

I do think there may have been some behind the scenes pressure from Bryant's team to get her to drop the criminal case in return for his apology (issued the day the case was dismissed) and a civil settlement. Add in the harassment she was facing and it's understandable she'd want to just give up and put it behind her.

Sorry, you are right I am mixing you up.

I have no idea what happened in that hotel room or behind the scenes during the trial. I wasn't there and I don't know anyone personally who was.
The two people who were in that room have settled the matter almost 20 years ago.
Kobe went on to do great things in his life. Some people will choose to judge him for that one night, for what they assume he is guilty of. Some will judge him by what he did the other days he was on this earth.

Sorry, you are right I am mixing you up.

I have no idea what happened in that hotel room or behind the scenes during the trial. I wasn't there and I don't know anyone personally who was.
The two people who were in that room have settled the matter almost 20 years ago.
Kobe went on to do great things in his life. Some people will choose to judge him for that one night, for what they assume he is guilty of. Some will judge him by what he did the other days he was on this earth.
And some of us will say that neither one negates the other.

Not really.
We are talking about a criminal trial, where one can choose to testify or not.
One doesn't choose be raped. Or for your accused rapist to be so phenomenally popular that you will be hated for your accusation. And you don't choose to get death threats for going to the authorities.

What you CAN choose is to pursue a case that is almost certainly unwinnable, given the popularity of the accused rapist, or to heed the death threats and drop the criminal case, instead accepting a settlement and public apology.

If I had been raped, I'd like to think I'd fight all the way in court. But I haven't been raped, so it's all conjecture. I do know that getting death threats would very likely minimize my bravery. Rape is bad enough, but potentially being attacked or killed for reporting that rape is enough to stop even a brave woman in her tracks.

One doesn't choose be raped. Or for your accused rapist to be so phenomenally popular that you will be hated for your accusation. And you don't choose to get death threats for going to the authorities.

What you CAN choose is to pursue a case that is almost certainly unwinnable, given the popularity of the accused rapist, or to heed the death threats and drop the criminal case, instead accepting a settlement and public apology.

If I had been raped, I'd like to think I'd fight all the way in court. But I haven't been raped, so it's all conjecture. I do know that getting death threats would very likely minimize my bravery. Rape is bad enough, but potentially being attacked or killed for reporting that rape is enough to stop even a brave woman in her tracks.

And this has to do with my post because?
I get it you wanted someone to argue the irony of "choice".
Well it isn't going to be me, as I wasn't referring to her having a choice to be (allegedly) raped, only to her choice to testify. Which no matter the reasons she chose not to, it was still a choice.

And some of us will say that neither one negates the other.

And you are entitled to that opinion.
However I do have to say I find it sad that a single unproven accusation has more weight than the decades of known good that someone does. But to each his own, a long as you judge others how you are willing to be judged it's all good I suppose.

This thread took a terrible turn and is a sad reminder as to why I don’t participate on social media. Some people are just....sh*t and stupid, especially when they’re behind a keyboard/phone. It makes me sad
It definitely took a crazy turn! So much I want to say but it’s just not worth it.

And this has to do with my post because?
I get it you wanted someone to argue the irony of "choice".
Well it isn't going to be me, as I wasn't referring to her having a choice to be (allegedly) raped, only to her choice to testify. Which no matter the reasons she chose not to, it was still a choice.
You can't look at the choice to stop prosecution proceedings in a vacuum. Well, you can, but smacks of tunnel vision. You must look at what caused that decision. Death threats and an almost certain inability to obtain a conviction against a beloved individual do factor in. Look at how long Bill Cosby got away with raping women...all because he was held in such high esteem. Sometimes you have to know when to fold, even in a criminal case.

Equating dropping a criminal case and instead accepting a civil settlement should not send the message that no crime was committed. There is more to consider.

It definitely took a crazy turn! So much I want to say but it’s just not worth it.

Yep! I’d most certainly get banned. Plus, as you said, not worth it. I don’t have the time or patience to call out every idiot on the internet. It took a lot for me to even start posting on the DIS because I knew how people could be...even “Disney” people

Uhmmm. No. The case was dropped because she refused to testify. They settled the civil case out of court later. He did not pay her first. In the letter he wrote, he mentions the civil case and that it was upcoming. At that point he had not settled with her.
If you think it wasnt arranged before she refused to testify you are naive.

That's not the truth. The reporter was fired for publishing email addresses people that disagreed with her.
Disagreed, were sending death threats. Some say Tomato some say tomato....

Do you not comprehend the difference in ACCUSED and CONVICTED? Do we have a language barrier here?
He wasn't convicted, you are right. He also wasn't acquitted either.

She chose not to testify. She chose money over justice for her alleged rape.
You can turn that on him, but she was the one who made that decision.
Now, I guess based on your logic you would say that if she was telling the truth she would have rather have seen the man that raped and physically assault her behind bars.
But I'm sure you wouldn't presume that right?
Of course you can turn it on him. He is responsible, sure she has some responsibility for refusing to testify, but it is a HUGE burden on the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter