"Late" check out for DVC members at BWV

The only thing that ticks me off about this is that I just read a post about people still in their room at 2:00 pm and telling their mousekeeper they'd leave "shen [they're] good and ready". So obviously these people stayed after 11:00. Yet, the polite people who asked for an hour were told "No". I must admit that I wish those rude people could somehow, very forcefullly, been given the message "NO!!"

Well sometimes they DO get what's coming to them. Once we went to our room checking in only to find it still occupied with a packed suitcase, and the kitchen towel used and crumpled on the counter. This was at 4pm. We went back to hospitality house, and they said the occupant had promised they would have their stuff out by noon. At that point they checked into the computer and charged him for a night. So I guess they did get even with him in the long run...in his wallet!

You should follow the rules and check out on time. If you feel you are getting better treatment as a "regular" room customer, then sell your membership and make your reservations thru CRO.

Seriously. I can't stand when people are complaining because they want to do something different than what is allowed, and aren't able to. The rules are set up for everyone's benefit and you should follow the rules.

And you can't always get late check-out at non-DVC resorts either -- and they will charge you in 1/2 and full day increments as well.

I think 11am is a generous check-out time for a timeshare. I've stayed in over 70 different timeshares, and every one of them had a 10am check-out time (except for DVC which of course is 11am).

I think 11am is a generous check-out time for a timeshare. I've stayed in over 70 different timeshares, and every one of them had a 10am check-out time (except for DVC which of course is 11am).

And I'll bet the majority of those had a 5 PM check in time too! I think 4 or 5 check in seems to be the norm, and many timeshares don't allow you to check in early ... end of discussion. Where we stayed in Hawaii, we could pre-check in at the airport, but we were not allowed to get our room assignment until 5 PM, and we had to vacate no later than 10 AM to avoid a charge, and we were required to load all dishes in the dishwasher, strip the beds and place all towels in the tub etc before leaving as well as gather up the trash and leave the bags out for housekeeping.

Now all of those things are something I do routinely at DVC too, but I'm betting from the discussions I see on this board that the guests who do that are few and far between.

FYI, I didn't realize that the Do Not Disturb sign WAS on our door when "mousekeeping" came in at both 9:15 and 9:50. My partner had it on the door, but no one heard them knock as we were all getting ready.

As for the rules, I agree that rules need to be followed....but obviously they're not if someone was still in their room at 2:00. And yet they got what they wanted and I'm being ostracized on the DIS boards for having asked to check out an hour late. I don't "expect" to be the exception to the rule, which is why I asked.

As for the contract, I questioned my guide about this and she said it's normally not a problem to be "a little past 11". I guess I should have gotten it in writing. I have usually, not always, gotten a late check out if asked, including at Deluxe Disney resorts. If I don't have a morning or early afternoon flight, I do book an extra day, be it with points or cash. This is why I thought it was odd for a late check out was NEVER to be granted.....and thus my post!!!!

Lastly, we were out by 11AM, with no more interruptions from housekeeping. It was a good thing we were because it took 50 minutes in the ME luggage line for one group of 5 people, so instead of going to the bakery, we just went on the ME.

With the Mousekeepers cleaning 8 to 10 rooms per day and having to make sure that all arrival rooms are done by 4:00 PM, that is a pretty hard thing to do every day.

You would be amazed at the condition of some of these rooms.

Last year we were given our room number by mistake at SSR because it wasn't ready yet. When we got to the room the Mousekeeper was trying to do the best job possible, but she was waiting for help because the previous Guest had moved all of the non bolted down furniture. Bed, tables, everything, turned a different direction. She told us that this happens sometimes because the Guest feels that their room has to face a certain direction. :eek:

:) Bill

We usually call housekeeping from the room as we are leaving to let them know the room is available to be cleaned.

If we're leaving before 11 AM, we do too.

OP: The people who were in their room at 2PM aren't being defended, in fact, the mousekeeper in charge of that room has lots of sympathy here. I don't think that using people who get away with it when they flaunt the rules as examples of acceptable behavior is very mature. It's like pointing out all of the speeders to the trooper who's giving you a ticket. It's not likely to win you a reprieve.

There are lots of different opinions on the Disboards, you have your defenders.

Bobbi:goodvibes

FYI, I didn't realize that the Do Not Disturb sign WAS on our door when "mousekeeping" came in at both 9:15 and 9:50. My partner had it on the door, but no one heard them knock as we were all getting ready.

As for the rules, I agree that rules need to be followed....but obviously they're not if someone was still in their room at 2:00. And yet they got what they wanted and I'm being ostracized on the DIS boards for having asked to check out an hour late. I don't "expect" to be the exception to the rule, which is why I asked.

As for the contract, I questioned my guide about this and she said it's normally not a problem to be "a little past 11". I guess I should have gotten it in writing. I have usually, not always, gotten a late check out if asked, including at Deluxe Disney resorts. If I don't have a morning or early afternoon flight, I do book an extra day, be it with points or cash. This is why I thought it was odd for a late check out was NEVER to be granted.....and thus my post!!!!

Lastly, we were out by 11AM, with no more interruptions from housekeeping. It was a good thing we were because it took 50 minutes in the ME luggage line for one group of 5 people, so instead of going to the bakery, we just went on the ME.

She wouldn't have given it to you in writing, since the contract says checkout time is 11am and a guide has no authority to over write the terms of the contract. However, "usually" they won't charge you for an extra night if you stay later - they will, however, hassle you - as you have learned - sometimes starting far earlier than 11am.

If we're leaving before 11 AM, we do too.

OP: The people who were in their room at 2PM aren't being defended, in fact, the mousekeeper in charge of that room has lots of sympathy here. I don't think that using people who get away with it when they flaunt the rules as examples of acceptable behavior is very mature. It's like pointing out all of the speeders to the trooper who's giving you a ticket. It's not likely to win you a reprieve.

There are lots of different opinions on the Disboards, you have your defenders.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Thanks..... The people in their room until 2 should have been charged an extra night and forced to apologize to the mousekeeper!!!!! (The mousekeepers were truly the most consistently, sincerely pleasant CMs we encountered every day, which is why I would NEVER complain about them)

Mousekeeping came in on you?

I haven't stayed at BWV, but here is a latch on the door at OKW that would prevent housekeeping from opening the door, even with a key. Is there no such device at BWV?

I haven't stayed at BWV, but here is a latch on the door at OKW that would prevent housekeeping from opening the door, even with a key. Is there no such device at BWV?

I'm at BWV now and there is a swing lock as well as a deadbolt.

DVC rooms take longer to clean (because of the larger size), it's only fair that everyone checks out on time so that the next person does not have to wait longer.

...As for the contract, I questioned my guide about this and she said it's normally not a problem to be "a little past 11". I guess I should have gotten it in writing. I have usually, not always, gotten a late check out if asked, including at Deluxe Disney resorts. If I don't have a morning or early afternoon flight, I do book an extra day, be it with points or cash. This is why I thought it was odd for a late check out was NEVER to be granted.....and thus my post!!!!....

She wouldn't have given it to you in writing, since the contract says checkout time is 11am and a guide has no authority to over write the terms of the contract. However, "usually" they won't charge you for an extra night if you stay later - they will, however, hassle you - as you have learned - sometimes starting far earlier than 11am.

First thing you need to realize is that the guide is just a saleperson. They can't change the rules. You'd be surprised what I have heard guides tell potential customers. Things like the sleeper sofa in the studio is queen sized. It's no problem getting a villa just about anytime. Etc.

There is....that was my bright idea not to latch it:confused3

First thing you need to realize is that the guide is just a saleperson. They can't change the rules. You'd be surprised what I have heard guides tell potential customers. Things like the sleeper sofa in the studio is queen sized. It's no problem getting a villa just about anytime. Etc.

Bingo.....learned that the hard way today......heard that last one too..... basically any size villa even at the 7 month mark..... at least now i know and probably would have missed the ME if checked out at noon like I wanted so everything turned out in the end ;)

Some timeshares allow late check out, others do not. It is DVC's policy not to, they did early on. We should follow the policy. I don't have any issues with asking but getting upset when told no is not reasonable though I do understand the concern when one gets mixed messages. DVC not uncommonly charges people an extra night but I'm sure they'll give a fair amount of leeway. Those that abuse the issue will likely get what's coming to them in the long run given their lack of character.

However, I also believe DVC should work things such that after 4 is a rarity. They fall down in this regard and I don't think one can blame the majority of those issues on people leaving late, it's a component but unlikely to be the main reason for rooms being ready late. Unfortunately there's not a good system to notify them when people have left so it's hard do know when they can get into the rooms at time to clean. They do pretty well in this area just keeping their eyes open but it's not enough, IMO. I also think they could do much better in noticing when the rooms are ready once they are.

Our last three DVC stays have ALL had a knock and "when are you leaving?" from Mousekeeping before 9:30am, even despite a DND sign. I do find this rather annoying and intrusive, as we always check out on time. I don't care that they can tell that we are awake. My husband and I were just discussing this the other day when it happened at a Starwood hotel and were wondering if this is an industry standard now??

Your late check in time, was probably caused by someone who didnt vacate by the 11am time, so right there should be the prime example of why they dont allow it.

Our last three DVC stays have ALL had a knock and "when are you leaving?" from Mousekeeping before 9:30am, even despite a DND sign. I do find this rather annoying and intrusive, as we always check out on time. I don't care that they can tell that we are awake. My husband and I were just discussing this the other day when it happened at a Starwood hotel and were wondering if this is an industry standard now??

OMG, I'm glad you posted this, because now I realize how darn lucky we've been. Since we started putting the DND sign on our door, we never get bothered by Mousekeeping. The other thing we do is that if we get a hang tag envelope with the list of charges, we leave it on the door (or quick look at it, then put it back on the door) until we leave. That way, hopefully, mousekeeping thinks we haven't woken up yet. But I guess, boy, have we been fortunate!

Yesterday morning, a family with a staff member (bell services?) tried to get into our room ( at SSR) before 9:00am. (DH was still half asleep and I was in the shower.). Strange because the room hadn't been made up (there was a basket of fresh linens outside the door) and our express bill was on the door handle.

Shortly after, the front desk called and asked DH if we had checked out. (No) When would we be checking out?

That was followed by another phone call from the front desk a few minutes later (this time I answered) asking if we had checked out earlier in the morning at the front desk... Uh-no
....When would we be leaving? (it was 9:15am when we had this second conversation).

We also discovered our keys did not work. (It was a good thing we both had not stepped out to load the car at the same time.)
DH and I thought there was some sort of mix up at the front desk. Although our express checkout bill was attached to our door. (No confusion there. :) )

Yesterday morning, a family with a staff member (bell services?) tried to get into our room ( at SSR) before 9:00am. (DH was still half asleep and I was in the shower.). Strange because the room hadn't been made up (there was a basket of fresh linens outside the door) and our express bill was on the door handle.

Shortly after, the front desk called and asked DH if we had checked out. (No) When would we be checking out?

That was followed by another phone call from the front desk a few minutes later (this time I answered) asking if we had checked out earlier in the morning at the front desk... Uh-no
....When would we be leaving? (it was 9:15am when we had this second conversation).

We also discovered our keys did not work. (It was a good thing we both had not stepped out to load the car at the same time.)
DH and I thought there was some sort of mix up at the front desk. Although our express checkout bill was attached to our door. (No confusion there. :) )

My guess is that someone checked out earlier that morning at the front desk and the CM processing it made a typo when entering the room number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter