Laurie's Quest Continues....two more marathons in one year!!

Laurie, great times on your runs! You are doing great! :cheer2:

Thanks for the tips on the breathing in the cold. I had to break down and do a treadmill workout on Saturday instead. I hate running on treadmills, but I am starting to like going to my gym, so I guess it isn't so bad. I am just afraid to run around my house when it is icy/snowy because there are so many hills here.

Hope your training is going well! I saw that you play hockey; when I was taking some time off when I had my son, I worked for an ice rink here covering all the hockey games. (I am an athletic trainer.) It was definitely a unique experience- I had anywhere from 4- year olds to collegiate level games. I was glad I got to do that for the experience of learning how to do an injury eval on the ice. No wonder your running is going so well- hockey is great cardio!

Have a great week!

Also since you have the nike plus I'd thought I'd mention that they have a few workouts for increasing speed and increasing endurance that you can purchase.

Today, I went on a 3.5 mile run. Again, it was pretty cold and overcast. So much for the warm days we had a couple of weeks ago...I guess it had to get and stay cold at some point, it is winter!! But, I so wish it would have stayed in the 50's and 60's! Oh well, I have to take what I get! Todays run went like this:

3.52 miles
33:46 min
9:35 mpm pace

mile 1: 9:32
mile 2: 9:48
mile 3: 9:57
last .52: 4:27

I was pleased with my workout! Everything felt great. I actually tried taking a GU shot app. 15 minutes before my workout. I got one free at the running store when I bought my new shoes. I wanted to see if my stomach could handle it. Well, I have to say, it wasn't the best tasting thing, but it didn't bother me at all. I am going to try them when I start going on longer runs as I train for my half marathon in April.

cherylp3--where did you find these workouts? on the nikeplus website where it logs your runs? I am really into my nike plus system, I love how it tells me when I have gone a mile, half way, etc....it is quite motivating, and I love running with music anyhow, so it solved two things for me. I just bought non-nike+ shoes, so I am using a lacelid piece to hold the chip on top of my shoe and it still works great!

firsttimetodiz-I hear you about the snow/ice, i am not sure what I am going to do if/when that happens around here. I HATE running on the treadmill, I just can't do it, so I am not sure what I am going to do, I will tackle that problem when it comes. That is cool that you are an athletic trainer, when I was in college, I did all the apprenticeship hours to become an athletic trainer. I did 1500 hours at Rutgers working with the various athletic teams. I got to travel all over, it was a lot of fun. Well, at any rate, I decided to go to grad school for physical education, and never ended up taking the exam to get certified to be an athletic trainer. That is the one thing in my life that if I could go back and change I would....I would have taken that test to get certified. Oh well, it is a fun job. Do you work in a school district or in a clinic?

My next workout is scheduled for tomorrow.

Laurie

Yes on the nikeplus website main page
There is a button named sport music - then choose the workouts tab
then choose itunes and it will connect you with the itunes nike plus page

firsttimetodiz-I hear you about the snow/ice, i am not sure what I am going to do if/when that happens around here. I HATE running on the treadmill, I just can't do it, so I am not sure what I am going to do, I will tackle that problem when it comes. That is cool that you are an athletic trainer, when I was in college, I did all the apprenticeship hours to become an athletic trainer. I did 1500 hours at Rutgers working with the various athletic teams. I got to travel all over, it was a lot of fun. Well, at any rate, I decided to go to grad school for physical education, and never ended up taking the exam to get certified to be an athletic trainer. That is the one thing in my life that if I could go back and change I would....I would have taken that test to get certified. Oh well, it is a fun job. Do you work in a school district or in a clinic?

Hi Laurie, first of all, great job on your runs! I am so impressed that you can still run outside- I have gotten wimpy, and opt now for the treadmill, even though I hate running on it. ;)

To answer your question, I am sort of still working at a school district- just part-time though. I was a full time ATC at a high school when I first moved here (outreach through a PT clinic.) Then I took some time off when I had ds (that's when I was the ATC for the hockey programs at our local rink). Then last year I went back to full time at a high school, but I really hated the nighttime hours, because most nights ds would already be asleep by the time I got home. So, the opportunity came up for me this year to work for a friend who owns her own running/swimming specialty store. She is also an ATC, and since she does biomechanical gait analysis for people at the store, she needed an employee that could do the same. I love it, and that is really what sparked my motivation to begin running in the first place. I still do athletic training for a high school, but I had to tell them this is my last year, because next year ds will be old enough to join AYSO and Little League, and I want to be able to do that with him.

Ok, now that I wrote you a book....;) do you teach at a high school? How are things going? Your training looks wonderful!!

Lisa

I didn't get a chance to post last night, but I wanted to get down my workout from yesterday! I did 3.5 miles in 33:53 min at a 9:38 pace.

Mile 1: 9:47
Mile 2: 9:35
Mile 3: 9:37

I felt great, my legs were a little sore, but I pushed through it and made it to the end. My new thing is to think of my workouts in segments, especially on the second half. I tend to run an out and back route....so I go half way out on the trail that I run on and then turn around at halfway...so on the way back, I choose a tree or a bench, or a garbage can that I can see in the distance..not too far away but a fair distance away...and then all I think about is making it to that point and when I get there I focus on a new point. This has helped me tremendously. Before I was just thinking about the end point and it always seemed so far away, but I don't think about that anymore, and I feel like my runs go so much faster.

Lisa-I teach physical education at a K-3 school...I used to teach at a high school, but I love teaching the little kids, so I asked to be transfered to the elementary school, and I got lucky and they moved me! I absolutely love it. That sounds like a really fun job that you have...I would love to do something like that if I wasn't teaching. Plus, you get to work in a running store, although for me that might be bad, as I would probably spend my whole life savings there! IT would be too dangerous for me! I don't blame you for wanting to spend time with your DS...they are only young once! I don't have any kids yet, but when I do, I will make sure that I spend a lot of time with them.

ok, I will post again later, I am going to do another 3.5miles this afternoon. It is quite cold here today, but I will bundle up and get out there!!!

So, today I got out there for another 3.5 mile run. Here are the details:

34:01 min
9:40 pace
mile 1: 9:40
mile 2:9:42
mile 3: 9:33

i didn't feel so good on my run today, I actually felt like I was struggling to keep up my pace. At the end of my workout, I was surprised that I was consistent with my last few workouts, since I felt like I was going so slow. So, I guess I am happy with what I ran! It was really cold and windy today, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Temps are supposed to really drop tonight....only a high of 19 tomorrow, with wind chills below 0.....I HATE THE COLD!!!! Well, at least tomorrow is a rest day. That worked out good.

I will rest again on saturday and then do my 5 mile LR on sunday this week. I have to go to a meeting for the New York State Health and Physical Education Assoc. this weekend, I am on the executive council. So, tomorrow after work I will be driving about 3 hours to a meeting and then heading home on saturday night. I hate riding in the car that long!!!

Have a great weekend!! :goodvibes :goodvibes

Laurie- I bet it was running in the cold that made it feel so much tougher. It always seems so much harder to run with all those extra clothes, and when it is so icky out. But your times are just awesome. It is great that you are so consistant. Have a good trip, and be extra careful if you have to run when it is so bitterly cold outside. I'm sorry that I had to share some of our horrible weather!

Nicole--Thanks for the encouragement!! I am really happy with my training so far! I start my official training plan for my 1/2 marathon on Feb. 5th, so until then I am just working up my base. I am psyched to start the training program. I will take this cold weather over snow any day!! I HATE the snow..and you have had SOOOOOO.... much out there in Colorado! We have been lucky here in NJ so far, hopefully it stays that way.

Enjoy the weekend!

Luckily, the weather warmed up a bit after a couple of bitterly cold days!!! On friday, it was so cold here, I really don't think I would have been able to run outside if I had a workout planned! Then I had to head to Utica, NY for a meeting, and low and behold I get up there and it is FREEZING and snowing. I hate this weather!!! When I left there to come home yesterday, it was 2 degrees, by the time I got back to northern NJ, it was 42 degrees....what a difference!!!

I got out today for a 5 mile LR. I was really looking forward to running the last few days, and when I got up this morning I wasn't really feeling so well, so I decided to lay on the couch for awhile and watch the car race that was on TV. (I love auto racing...only a couple of weeks till the Daytona 500!!!--can't wait.:cheer2: :cheer2: ) Around lunchtime, my DBF was heading out to go referee roller hockey games, so I decided to head out to go for my run. Didn't feel so great but still was very happy with my time.

5 miles
48:43 min
9:42 mpm pace

mile 1: 9:23
mile 2: 9:32
mile 3: 9:48
mile 4: 10:17
mile 5: 9:35

I am not really sure what happened during the 4th mile, I just felt like I was moving so slow! but then I picked it back up to my regular pace. Oh well! I feel like I am getting into a pretty consistent pace, which I am happy with. I start my official training program for my april half marathon a week from tomorrow, so at that point maybe my pace will start to decrease a little bit.

Ok, tomorrow is a rest day, then plan to run tues, wed, and thurs.

Hi Laurie- great job girl! Good luck on starting the new program- I think you will have no problems with keeping up!!

:cheer2: :cheer2:

Lisa

Hi Laurie,

You are doing a great job with your training! Keep up the good work!:cheer2:

If you don't mind me asking, what does the Nike chip do? I've seen commericals for it, but don't know what it does.

Hope you have a great week!:goodvibes

~Tracy

Hey Tracy,

The Nike chip goes with the Nike + system that works with an ipod. Basically, you wear a little chip, either in the sole of your shoe (if you have nike+ shoes) or on the top of your shoe (with no nike+ shoes), and you have a transmitter that goes into your ipod. The chip measures your distance/time/pace and transmits that information through the transmitter to your ipod. You decide what your workout will be: time goal, distance goal, I think it even does calories. I usually do a distance goal, so I put in how far I want to go and then it will tell me when I am done with that distance. It gives you updates along the way, with how far you have traveled. It then stores the information from your workout until you upload it to your computer. You can then track your workouts and do a bunch of other neat things on the nikeplus website. It is pretty cool, and since I love running with my ipod, I just had to have it. I hope this explains it well enough!!

Hey Tracy,

The Nike chip goes with the Nike + system that works with an ipod. Basically, you wear a little chip, either in the sole of your shoe (if you have nike+ shoes) or on the top of your shoe (with no nike+ shoes), and you have a transmitter that goes into your ipod. The chip measures your distance/time/pace and transmits that information through the transmitter to your ipod. You decide what your workout will be: time goal, distance goal, I think it even does calories. I usually do a distance goal, so I put in how far I want to go and then it will tell me when I am done with that distance. It gives you updates along the way, with how far you have traveled. It then stores the information from your workout until you upload it to your computer. You can then track your workouts and do a bunch of other neat things on the nikeplus website. It is pretty cool, and since I love running with my ipod, I just had to have it. I hope this explains it well enough!!

Thanks Laurie! You did a great job of explaining it!:thumbsup2 It sounds like a very cool thing to have for running. :goodvibes

Have a great day!

~Tracy

So, since I start my official training for my half marathon on Monday, I wanted to see where I stand with my 5k time, so I decided to push myself a bit today and see how I could do with a 5k. Well, I felt great!!! Here are the details:

5k complete
28:40
9:03 pace

mile 1: 8:51
mile 2: 9:19
mile 3: 9:18
rest: 8:48 pace

Yes, you see it correctly--an 8:51 mile!!! That is my fastest mile yet, I am so excited!!!!! I am so psyched about my workout, I feel like I am progressing very well in my training, and I am so psyched to start following the Hal Higdon program next week.

Now, the only thing I need to start working on is my eating habits...they are awful. I need to get on track with my eating so badly, but this is so hard for me, I eat some much junk food it is ridiculous. So, starting next week, I need to start eating more healthy food!! I am not going to go crazy all at once, but little by little I am going to change my eating habits!

Your times are so great!!! Keep it up! You're gonna breeze through your training!
As for the diet, good luck. The first few days will be rough, but you will see how much better you feel when all the junk is out of your system! Just hang in there, and each day will get a little easier! Your probably wondering how I have the nerve to advise anyone on junk food, :scared1: but I did manage to go 10 weeks with very few slips getting ready for the Bolder Boulder last year, I just let my old habits take over once the training was over. Huge mistake, as I have not been able to get back to that point since last May! :sad2: Maybe we should start a junk food challenge! :laughing:

Way to go on your fastest mile yet!:thumbsup2 You'll do a great job at the half!:cheer2:

Have a great Wednesday!:goodvibes

Wow, Laurie, great job on that mile time!! :woohoo: And you were able to keep up the pace very well to finish the rest, too! You are doing great!

Good luck on changing the eating habits- this is something I am struggling with myself. I am totally a snacker- I could snack all day long if I let myself, lol. I think you will do great with making a few small changes now, and gradually working on it- sounds like the motivation/determination is right where it needs to be to succeed! Congrats!

Well, yesterday and today have not been good days for me. I felt fine all day yesterday, but when I left work, I started to feel really crummy. I had my running gear already on, so I decided to head to the park anyhow to see if I could do something. I had planned on doing 3.5 miles, but I just couldn't do that much. I had quite a headache, and my throat was really sore. I ended up doing just over 2 miles at about a 9:38 pace. I was happy with the pace all things considering. I really wanted to finish my workout but I just had no energy to go anymore, so I stopped.

I ended up going home, eating dinner, took a shower, and then went to sleep around six. I slept till about 9:15 then woke up for about 45 minutes, then went back to sleep till this morning. Luckily, the weather forecast was for snow this morning, so my school district gave us a one hour delay. That means I didn't have to be to work till nine, which gave me an extra hour of sleep which I really needed! I really wanted to stay home and rest today, but we were having a workshop day at school, and the administration frowns upon us taking a sick day on a conference day, so I dragged myself to work.

I was going to try to go running this afternoon after work, but I came home and have a bit of a headache still. So, I decided to rest, because
DBF and I are heading to the Toby Keith concert tonight!!!! I am so psyched....I LOVE TOBY KEITH!!!! Maybe that will make me feel better!!

Hopefully tomorrow I will feel better, since I want to get my LR in, but I will see how I feel.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!! I will respond more tomorrow, I need to go rest up so I will be able to make it through the concert tonight!!!

Please make sure to take care of yourself! Especially if it is cold outside. If you are sick and try to run in the cold, it can make things so much worse! Your times were great, and you should be proud of yourself for listening to your body and not overdoing! Take care of yourself, and good luck on the LR!
I'm jealous of your concert! I got to see him live about 6 years ago, he was really good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter