Layoff part 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a false narrative though as many of these service level jobs generate a lot more revenue than other industries.

If you work at a mcdonalds that brings in a million dollars in business, your wage should be higher than a mcdonalds that brings in 500k. You are generating more money for the company, you should be compensated accordingly.

lol, that's not how it works though, like at all

lol, that's not how it works though, like at all

Its not because people accept it rather than challenge it. $15 an hour became a reality because people stopped just accepting a multi dollar corporation paying wages that were nowhere near in line with the value those workers brought in.

What do you mean?
Have you tried looking for a job in central Florida? And have a chance to compare hourly pay? It hovers between 9.5 to 11.

Target pays $15. My point is yes, mom and pop coffee shop will never and should never be able to.compete with Disneys wages, but the fact they are even remotely close says a lot.

Target pays $15. My point is yes, mom and pop coffee shop will never and should never be able to.compete with Disneys wages, but the fact they are even remotely close says a lot.
What other company pays more than $13 an hour on entry level?

Wdw is Of course in the south which has lower wages. Where I work at a factory in New Jersey. When they decide to add on they have added on to North Carolina, Georgia and even Florida. Wages start out at 9 dollars lower a hour. 16 something a hour to 25 something a hour. So we have to consider where wdw is when you talk about wages. Hopefully where I work they stay in New Jersey but know the days are probably coming when they completely go down south for the lower wages. Plus lower taxes lower electric.

Wdw is Of course in the south which has lower wages. Where I work at a factory in New Jersey. When they decide to add on they have added on to North Carolina, Georgia and even Florida. Wages start out at 9 dollars lower a hour. 16 something a hour to 25 something a hour. So we have to consider where wdw is when you talk about wages. Hopefully where I work they stay in New Jersey but know the days are probably coming when they completely go down south for the lower wages. Plus lower taxes lower electric.

Whats interesting is the actual cost of living is not in line with the lower wages though. Its cheaper to live in the south, yes, but not THAT much cheaper.

I am seeing yesterday and today News that is worrying for those hoping to keep their jobs or be recalled.
Yesterday Universal made the decision to close 2 resorts and move guests from Sapphire Falls and Aventura to Hard Rock or Cabana Bay. Rumor is this will be possibly thru end of the year.
Also seeing today Mears Transport is laying off which includes some Magic Express and Airport , etc. I know Universal also uses Mears for their resort busses. Not good for so many. Trying to stay positive .

I know some folks that work in an Amazon warehouse, and I can promise you the work they do is a lot tougher than the work you will do at Disney for $15 an hour. Very physically demanding work.

Yes but they also dont have to smile all day, stand in the sun and deal with opinionater people like us. Its different work thats for surem

I think people need to keep in mind that there are multiple levels of Disney employees:
-Front of house cast members at resorts
-white collar at HQ (Imagineers, IT, Finance, etc)
-Services at resorts
-Construction

It seems like multiple discussions are going on in this thread as people talk about employees in completely different areas. Each area will be hit differently as Disney adjusts their business plans.

Thats a false narrative though as many of these service level jobs generate a lot more revenue than other industries.

If you work at a mcdonalds that brings in a million dollars in business, your wage should be higher than a mcdonalds that brings in 500k. You are generating more money for the company, you should be compensated accordingly.

It's not a false narrative. It's true feel free to read the article in your spare time. It uses the BLS as its source.

Orlando has lowest wages of any big city in America ... again | Commentary

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opi...ges-america-scott-maxwell-20190405-story.html

Amazon also had to be "shamed" to increase their hourly rate. Which is disgusting considering their profit and what they expect fromt their employees. Working at any level at Amazon is grueling.

My kids have many friends who are front line CMS and what they do in order to continue to work at the parks is stunning. Grown adults sharing rooms or renting rooms in a house to make ends meet. There is no real career ladder but I do think it would have gotten better with the Aspire program, but then Covid happened.

IMHO I don't see layoffs happening outright. They don't want to desimate their labor force. I just don't see them recalling cast for up to a year.

TABLE 1
Unemployment Rates and Weeks of Unemployment Insurance (UI) Available
StateUnemployment (3-month avg.)Regular UI and extended benefits available*
Alabama10.314+7 weeks
Alaska12.926+20 weeks
Arizona10.826+13 weeks
Arkansas9.520+10 weeks
California15.926+20 weeks
Colorado11.026+13 weeks
Connecticut9.226+20 weeks
Delaware14.426+13 weeks
District of Columbia9.726+13 weeks
Florida12.612+6 weeks
Georgia9.826+20 weeks
Hawaii20.526+13 weeks
Idaho8.826+13 weeks
Illinois15.726+20 weeks
Indiana13.626+13 weeks
Iowa9.826+13 weeks
Kansas9.826+20 weeks
Kentucky10.726+20 weeks
Louisiana13.026+13 weeks
Maine8.826+13 weeks
Maryland9.426+13 weeks
Massachusetts16.726+13 weeks
Michigan19.926+13 weeks
Minnesota9.126+20 weeks
Mississippi11.826+13 weeks
Missouri9.420+10 weeks
Montana9.328+13 weeks
Nebraska6.926+13 weeks
Nevada23.326+13 weeks
New Hampshire14.826+20 weeks
New Jersey16.126+20 weeks
New Mexico9.826+13 weeks
New York15.226+20 weeks
North Carolina11.112+9.6 weeks
North Dakota8.126+13 weeks
Ohio14.126+20 weeks
Oklahoma11.326+13 weeks
Oregon13.426+20 weeks
Pennsylvania14.226+13 weeks
Puerto Rico8.726+13 weeks
Rhode Island15.626+20 weeks
South Carolina11.320+16 weeks
South Dakota9.226 weeks
Tennessee12.126+13 weeks
Texas11.626+20 weeks
Utah8.026+13 weeks
Vermont12.926+20 weeks
Virgin Islands11.826+13 weeks
Virginia9.526+13 weeks
Washington13.726+20 weeks
West Virginia13.126+13 weeks
Wisconsin11.426+13 weeks
Wyoming8.726+13 weeks
* 13 weeks of Pandemic Emergency Unemployment

Florida, as of now, provides 18(12 +6) weeks of unemployment lowest in the USA. Which takes thoose that have been furloughed to mid September. It will be complete carnage if that doesn't get extended. The larger Apartment complexes will not let you resign your lease if you are furloughed, so there is potential to become homeless.

Amazon also had to be "shamed" to increase their hourly rate. Which is disgusting considering their profit and what they expect fromt their employees. Working at any level at Amazon is grueling.

My kids have many friends who are front line CMS and what they do in order to continue to work at the parks is stunning. Grown adults sharing rooms or renting rooms in a house to make ends meet. There is no real career ladder but I do think it would have gotten better with the Aspire program, but then Covid happened.

IMHO I don't see layoffs happening outright. They don't want to desimate their labor force. I just don't see them recalling cast for up to a year.

StateUnemployment (3-month avg.)Regular UI and extended benefits available*
Unemployment Rates and Weeks of Unemployment Insurance (UI) Available
TABLE 1
Alabama10.314+7 weeks
Alaska12.926+20 weeks
Arizona10.826+13 weeks
Arkansas9.520+10 weeks
California15.926+20 weeks
Colorado11.026+13 weeks
Connecticut9.226+20 weeks
Delaware14.426+13 weeks
District of Columbia9.726+13 weeks
Florida12.612+6 weeks
Georgia9.826+20 weeks
Hawaii20.526+13 weeks
Idaho8.826+13 weeks
Illinois15.726+20 weeks
Indiana13.626+13 weeks
Iowa9.826+13 weeks
Kansas9.826+20 weeks
Kentucky10.726+20 weeks
Louisiana13.026+13 weeks
Maine8.826+13 weeks
Maryland9.426+13 weeks
Massachusetts16.726+13 weeks
Michigan19.926+13 weeks
Minnesota9.126+20 weeks
Mississippi11.826+13 weeks
Missouri9.420+10 weeks
Montana9.328+13 weeks
Nebraska6.926+13 weeks
Nevada23.326+13 weeks
New Hampshire14.826+20 weeks
New Jersey16.126+20 weeks
New Mexico9.826+13 weeks
New York15.226+20 weeks
North Carolina11.112+9.6 weeks
North Dakota8.126+13 weeks
Ohio14.126+20 weeks
Oklahoma11.326+13 weeks
Oregon13.426+20 weeks
Pennsylvania14.226+13 weeks
Puerto Rico8.726+13 weeks
Rhode Island15.626+20 weeks
South Carolina11.320+16 weeks
South Dakota9.226 weeks
Tennessee12.126+13 weeks
Texas11.626+20 weeks
Utah8.026+13 weeks
Vermont12.926+20 weeks
Virgin Islands11.826+13 weeks
Virginia9.526+13 weeks
Washington13.726+20 weeks
West Virginia13.126+13 weeks
Wisconsin11.426+13 weeks
Wyoming8.726+13 weeks
* 13 weeks of Pandemic Emergency Unemployment

Florida, as of now, provides 18(12 +6) weeks of unemployment lowest in the USA. Which takes thoose that have been furloughed to mid September. It will be complete carnage if that doesn't get extended. The larger Apartment complexes will not let you resign your lease if you are furloughed, so there is potential to become homeless.
The aspire program is still active. Just fyi

The $15 minimum wage is going to hurt more workers than it will helps. It will make these layoffs worse, and the staff that remains will likely get fewer hours and possibly lose benefits. And the hours they work will be harder and more stressed. I expect moral and customer service to decline. Not a good place to be.
The $15.00 wage has hurt alot of people already. The area i live in requires it and right after that happened the McDonald's around me closed for 2 days and installed self ordering and paying kiosks. Went from 6 people taking orders to 1.

Service Jobs are low paying jobs because of supply and demand. More people looking for work then jobs available. It is also generally a position that does not require an advanced education and a lot of training. Also your reasoning for why a person at a higher revenue generating McDonald's should earn more is seriously flawed. The one generating more revenue will have more employees and in turn will have higher expenses. It is all based upon risk and reward for the owners ROI and for a franchise such as a McDonald's the percentages for that will fall in a narrow band whether the store is at the lower or higher end of the revenue scale

Corporate McDs is a different animal then the francises. I believe if you work at a coprorate Macs their minimum is 10/hour. The franchises pay what they want. My DD worked at Macs in high school. It gave her a whole new look on the world. She was one of the few from the area that worked there most were bussed in from the intercity because in our white/economic privileged suburbs the kids didn't need/want to work They were paid minimum and many would work their shift at Macs and walk next door to taco bell nd work the next shift also for minimum wage. She made many friends and tried to help them get news jobs at Walmart/ Costco a few miles away but it was very hard to move jobs because of the lack of transportation. The owner of the franchise owns many Macs and is a multimillionaire. Can't help but feeling they make their millions on the backs of the working poor.

Sorry for the rant but it was eye opening for all of us and I think it should be out there.

Service Jobs are low paying jobs because of supply and demand. More people looking for work then jobs available. It is also generally a position that does not require an advanced education and a lot of training. Also your reasoning for why a person at a higher revenue generating McDonald's should earn more is seriously flawed. The one generating more revenue will have more employees and in turn will have higher expenses. It is all based upon risk and reward for the owners ROI and for a franchise such as a McDonald's the percentages for that will fall in a narrow band whether the store is at the lower or higher end of the revenue scale
This. So much this.

If you want to make money you need to develop desirable skills. McDonald's employees at the store level are pressing buttons and following timers so the skill level required can be fulfilled by a huge number of candidates which will always keep wages low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter