Leaving MK quickly

bladiator

Disney on my mind
Is there any better way of getting in and out of MK than the monorail and TTC? We're going to take a lunch break for the first time in my life now that I'm a proud papa, but it seems like the lunch break will be forever to get out of MK that way to an offsite location. Is there any chance that parking at Epcot and taking the monorail to MK is any faster? (I'm just thinking of the ride on tram from the TTC to the parking lot that I might be able to do without).

Or if you have any other ideas, throw them at me!

If you are staying 'on property', one of the easiest ways out of MK is the bus... because it picks you up right at the gates of MK.

I can't tell for sure simply looking at maps, but is also looks like someone can pick you up from the bus area as well... For sure in Google Earth I see what looks to at least be taxi cars in the circle closest to the MK gate. So if someone is willing to either head out to the car early, or if a member of your party doesn't go to MK that morning, looks like they could pick you up from this same location.

Monorail to Epcot is pretty much a non-starter. The problem with getting in and out of MK is that it requires two hopes to get between MK and the parking lot:
1. Monorail or boat to get between MK and TTC,
2. Tran (or feet) to get between TTC and your Car.
But to get the Monorail to Epcot, you've got to 1st get to TTC to transfer to the Epcot monorail. Then when you get off at Epcot, you still have a Tram (or feet) to get you to your car. So you're just adding a step taking the Monorail to Epcot.

Is there any better way of getting in and out of MK than the monorail and TTC? We're going to take a lunch break for the first time in my life now that I'm a proud papa, but it seems like the lunch break will be forever to get out of MK that way to an offsite location. Is there any chance that parking at Epcot and taking the monorail to MK is any faster? (I'm just thinking of the ride on tram from the TTC to the parking lot that I might be able to do without).

No. The Epcot monorail only goes as far as TTC, and you may just as likely need a tram at the Epcot parking lot.

Offsite stays, lunch breaks, and especially MK don’t go together well.

Ah. Well there you go. I've never taken the monorail to Epcot so I didn't realize that you had to transfer at the TTC.

Take a boat over to the Grand Floridian. Very short boat ride and it's the first stop.
Have Lunch in the Grand Floridian Cafe.

I can't tell for sure simply looking at maps, but is also looks like someone can pick you up from the bus area as well...
2. For sure in Google Earth I see what looks to at least be taxi cars in the circle closest to the MK gate.
3. So if someone is willing to either head out to the car early, or if a member of your party doesn't go to MK that morning, looks like they could pick you up from this same location..

1. Sorry, but no.
2. No taxis at the bus area of MK gates.
3. The drop-off/pick-up (and taxi) area for MK is over at TTC/MK parking.

It might be that the new MinnieVans will have access to the MK gates bus-loading area.

Last edited:

Do you mean a nap along with lunch as the reason you are going back offsite? Leaving MK for offsite and coming back while allowing a little down time will take a few hours of the day up. No real short cut for doing that.

If you just are looking to get out of the park for lunch you can take any of the transportation to another location including the buses or boats to any of the hotels. You wouldn't have to use your own vehicle.

This is the primary reason that we stay at the CR with two small kids... :). Worth the splurge. I would probably opt for an afternoon break vs. lunch and then come back in the evening.

Do you mean a nap along with lunch as the reason you are going back offsite? Leaving MK for offsite and coming back while allowing a little down time will take a few hours of the day up. No real short cut for doing that.

Yes, forgot to mention that. We need to have time for the baby to take a nap. We were planning on a 3 hour break, but if 1.5 hours of that is getting out and back in to the MK, that makes the nap almost non-existent. :)

I'm not trying to cut it down to nothing, but was just trying to find a way to cut down on the lame-o TTC entrance issue.

Last edited:
Yes, forgot to mention that. We need to have time for the baby to take a nap. We were planning on a 3 hour break, but if 1.5 hours of that is getting out and back in to the MK, that makes the nap almost non-existent. :)

I'm not trying to cut it down to nothing, but was just trying to find a way to cut down on the lame-o TTC entrance issue.
also remember baby/child falls asleep in car back to hotel and then not going back to sleep. we had this happen today with 18 month old granddaughter having to make a couple of extra stops after leaving older sister at PM kindergarten. yes I know we were not at Disney but same thing can happen on way back to hotel

also remember baby/child falls asleep in car back to hotel and then not going back to sleep. we had this happen today with 18 month old granddaughter having to make a couple of extra stops after leaving older sister at PM kindergarten. yes I know we were not at Disney but same thing can happen on way back to hotel

This is definitely a possibility. Our kids did it regularly, so we spent a lot of afternoon breaks (not at WDW but elsewhere) driving around....

How old will the baby be? We took our son for the first time when he was 8 months old and we never had to leave a park for him to nap. He literally just fell asleep in his stroller at nap time. When this happened we found a nice, quiet, shady spot and relaxed for a while as he slept. We got lunch and ate on the bench while he slept. We also just kind of wandered around and enjoyed the park while he slept. This tradition continued throughout toddlerhood. I would recommend trying that out before you spend a lot of time trying to get back to your hotel. If you think the baby will nap better outside of the park environment then just take the monorail over to the Poly, Grand Floridian, or Contemporary and have lunch there while the baby sleeps. The trips we had with our son when he was a baby through pre-school age were so fun! You will have a great time and make lots of great family memories!

We never took a break from the parks when my kiddos were still napping. They always just fell asleep in their stroller and we carried on. It ended up being easier for us and they got more sleep because they konked out when tired vs trying to keep their regular schedule (which is tough to maintain at Disney with all the excitement, time change, etc). Would your baby have a hard time with that?

I would probably pay for preferred parking. It's an easy walk from that lot to TTC and then when you come back after nap you'll have a good parking spot.

1. Sorry, but no.
2. No taxis at the bus area of MK gates.
3. The drop-off/pick-up (and taxi) area for MK is over at TTC/MK parking.

It might be that the new MinnieVans will have access to the MK gates bus-loading area.
The new Minnie vans do pick up at the bus shelter area (#11 if I recall correctly)
(Not that it helps the OP as they are staying offsite)

If the baby wil sleep in the stroller, a monorail ride to The Grand Floridian or a walk to the Contemporary resort may be all you need. There are lots nice places to relax & eat at both resorts. There are pretty good counter service places at both too so you don't need to do an expensive meal either. After you eat, you could walk around & find a quiet place to relax while the baby sleeps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter