Legos - Adults

So true. And all these retro cartoons that are making a comeback are also pushing out action figures to match. My husband is finally buying all the Masters of the Universe toys he desperately wanted, but never got as a kid. Not to mention the DC Universe collectibles...

He grew up poor. He always told himself he when he was a grown up and had his own money, he would buy whatever toys he wanted. Misson accomplished.

It looks like you win the prize for the most Legos! I love the "yellow submarine", I wanted to get that one but didn't know where to put it. I'm so sorry I didn't get the train station when it was reasonably priced. I love where you placed it on top of a cabinet. I have a double file cabinet with a display cabinet on top, the top would be the perfect place for the train station, but I hate spending so much money for it. Maybe my DH could give it to for Christmas, my castle was a Christmas present. Hummm now you have me thinking....

It looks like you win the prize for the most Legos! I love the "yellow submarine", I wanted to get that one but didn't know where to put it. I'm so sorry I didn't get the train station when it was reasonably priced. I love where you placed it on top of a cabinet. I have a double file cabinet with a display cabinet on top, the top would be the perfect place for the train station, but I hate spending so much money for it. Maybe my DH could give it to for Christmas, my castle was a Christmas present. Hummm now you have me thinking....

"There's always room for Legos."

Literally my husband's mantra.

That train station is on top of the entertainment center in our great room. The TV is right underneath it. Front and center. No model home looking decor in THIS house!

The only rooms without Legos at this point are the bathrooms and laundry room. 😆

I still have the Friends and The Office sets to build, but I don't know where to put them! We are literally running out of space. But I knew I had to have them.

That train station is on top of the entertainment center in our great room. The TV is right underneath it. Front and center. No model home looking decor in THIS house!

The only rooms without Legos at this point are the bathrooms and laundry room. 😆

I still have the Friends and The Office sets to build, but I don't know where to put them! We are literally running out of space. But I knew I had to have them.
Central Perk is the one set that I personally do have. I had to get rid of a couple of Disney Snow Globes to make room for it. I had DD build it, I didn't even attempt. I would love the apartment, but I am at a time now where I need to spend less money and start purging things as we get older.

So true. And all these retro cartoons that are making a comeback are also pushing out action figures to match. My husband is finally buying all the Masters of the Universe toys he desperately wanted, but never got as a kid. Not to mention the DC Universe collectibles...

He grew up poor. He always told himself he when he was a grown up and had his own money, he would buy whatever toys he wanted. Misson accomplished.
Masters, Transformers, GI Joe, Star Wars, all still going strong, lots of nostalgia power. I've seen Care Bears and Glow Worm on toy shelves too.

It seems like half the entire toy market is geared to adults. Hasbro and Mattel alone sell stuff for thirsty high-end collectors that can reach into the hundreds.

A lot of this has to do with the cost of producing the toys - plastic has become so expensive. The compromise is to make more highly detailed figures that can justify the price point, but that really targets the collectors' market. I love to see the actual "kid's" toys on the shelves, like the Star Wars Mission Fleet, etc. but there is so little of it. It just doesn't sell when kids can spend their money on Fortnite bucks.

A lot of this has to do with the cost of producing the toys - plastic has become so expensive. The compromise is to make more highly detailed figures that can justify the price point, but that really targets the collector's market. I love to see the actual "kid's" toys on the shelves, like the Star Wars Mission Fleet, etc. but there is so little of it. It jsut doesn't sell when kids can spend their money on Fortnite bucks.
I'm sure plastic is getting pricier, though I'm also sure there are other considerations. Today's action figures are more detailed and articulated, which is a factor when making molds. Some of them even have special paint apps: Hasbro has a new 3-D system with their paint apps that's more lifelike, if you look at the new Star Wars and Marvel Legends. Disney Insider on D+ even did a feature at Hasbro, showing their process. They work everything on computer before it hits the factory. Packaging is another factor if special printing effects are used.

Actors are also 3-D scanned- Companies like Gentle Giant scans actors for use in both movies and for collectibles. Finally, licensing itself also costs lots of money. Lego molds are expensive to produce, but you will notice a marked price difference on generic sets vs licensed sets.

Last edited:

Did you get the lights for the train station and train?

Anyone else here love building legos but don't have kids? DH has been doing some sets over the years then in 2020 I bought the Disney castle and that was my first set. Now I'm enjoying it as well. The only downside is what to do with all these built sets? We live in an area with basements so thankfully we have a finished basement so they're all displayed down there, but we'll run out of room eventually. I just ordered the "Holiday Main Street" set. So now my plan with that is start the build and display the little setup for the holidays. Then after Christmas, I will take it apart and rebuild again next year.

For those of you that have taken apart do you just take apart and put in the box? I'm wondering if working backwards in the book and bagging each group of pieces would make it easiest for next year?

Adult Lego fan here! We have one son but he has always known not to touch my Lego! :D

I've got a bunch of the Creator Expert sets:
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant
Detective's Office
Assembly Square
Disney Castle
Disney Train Station
Haunted House
Steamboat Willie
Ship in a Bottle

I have no desire to decorate with Lego, so I take my builds apart. I work backwards and put the pieces in labeled zip bags.

Attachments

• 51A17954-A3C6-4C40-864C-424232EBD431.jpeg
    51A17954-A3C6-4C40-864C-424232EBD431.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 7
  • D6125DEB-0CF3-4093-8267-408290BAC52B.jpeg
    D6125DEB-0CF3-4093-8267-408290BAC52B.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8
I have some of these mini-figures from the blind bags- Buzz, Maleficent, Steamboat Mickey... but the best thing to remark on is the Dr. Strange eyeball monster on the Disney castle! 😍

Yeah, my husband likes to "enhance" the setups. I didn't even know what that was, to be honest.

Did you get the lights for the train station and train?

No. We actually take the train down at Christmas and it goes under our tree on the track that we can control via the phone app.

Is there a specific lighting kit for it?

No. We actually take the train down at Christmas and it goes under our tree on the track that we can control via the phone app.

Is there a specific lighting kit for it?

If you go to Amazon and look up the Disney train station, there are a couple of light kits featured there.

There's a light kit for the Razor Crest set too.

Quick search and learned that there's also a larger, $600 version of the Razor Crest. I may have to let this one go...
75331.png

I rotate my displayed Lego sets in my basement. When I build a new set, I take the set being replaced and take it apart bagging in the parts in a way that makes sense for putting them back together. Atomic pile in one bag, bat-mobile in another and bat copter in another etc. (the classic bat cave set just got replaced with the mini castle and the haunted mansion). Also, I keep a log of when the set was built, who helped, and when it was disassembled. This goes into the original box along with the bagged pieces and is fun to look at and remember when it comes time to build it again, or someday when my children are deciding what to do with the Lego sets, I have acquired over the 60 years of collecting!

My children loved Legos, I loved buying Lego sets for them, they had so many. My son only stopped building Legos a couple years ago. I wish he would start again, lol, so many cool new sets. I love minifigures especially. Always a challenge to feel the blind bags for the characters!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter