Let’s meet Sven, my newest TravelScoot!

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
He’s here! My newest TravelScoot has arrived, and with the help of Kevin at TravelScoot, we have found the perfect name for this lil’ winter baby: Sven!

After all, Sven is not only sweet, loyal and adorable, he loves carrots - just like me! 😂

The great thing about Sven was that he was actually $800 cheaper than buying a new TravelScoot; because I already own 3 TravelScoot batteries, I could buy the “frame only” version that saved me significant money. Everything else is brand new!

These are stock photos; just like Max and Angus before him, Sven weighs in at 35 pounds without me, and although he comes with a spiffy new seat bottom (and the standard seat back) I am going to probably use the infamous “boat seat” that we modified for Angus a few years ago.

BB117131-CF01-4E82-9B0F-527C2EA9BEBB.jpegE64B0B5D-2018-4754-A0DF-B967AE494321.jpeg5C92F0FB-6E9F-430D-A43C-503CBD340DFE.jpeg

The biggest difference is how he folds up; instead of folding down kind of long and skinny (so that the travel bag very much resembled a golf bag) this new spiffy model folds down to about the same size as my Zoomer chair, Mirabel. The travel bag is about the same size as an average 32” suitcase.

The best thing about this is that at WDW, if I need to, I can pop the seat, fold Sven, and as long as I have a seat on the bus I will be able to free up a space for an extra mobility device on the bus. He will be about the same size and weight as a folded stroller.

Also, weirdly, he is easier to handle in his new folded form! Good news for me; it restores a bit of my independence!

I can’t wait to try him out!

Last edited:
He’s here! My newest TravelScoot has arrived, and with the help of Kevin at TravelScoot, we have found the perfect name for this lil’ winter baby: Sven!

After all, Sven is not only sweet, loyal and adorable, he loves carrots - just like me! 😂

The great thing about Sven was that he was actually $800 cheaper than buying a new TravelScoot; because I already own 3 TravelScoot batteries, I could buy the “frame only” version that saved me significant money. Everything else is brand new!

These are stock photos; just like Max and Angus before him, Sven weighs in at 35 pounds without me, and although he comes with a spiffy new seat bottom (and the standard seat back) I am going to probably use the infamous “boat seat” that we modified for Angus a few years ago.

View attachment 723529View attachment 723530View attachment 723531

The biggest difference is how he folds up; instead of folding down kind of long and skinny (so that the travel bag very much resembled a golf bag) this new spiffy model folds down to about the same size as my Zoomer chair, Mirabel. The travel bag is about the same size as an average 32” suitcase.

The best thing about this is that at WDW, if I need to, I can pop the seat, fold Sven, and as long as I have a seat on the bus I will be able to free up a space for an extra mobility device on the bus. He will be about the same size and weight as a folded stroller.

Also, weirdly, he is easier to handle in his new folded form! Good news for me; it restores a bit of my independence!

I can’t wait to try him out!
Happy for you. Enjoy Sven and let us know how it works out for you.

Congratulations!
Planning any decorations to dress him up?

Congratulations!
Planning any decorations to dress him up?

LOL probably the usual undercarriage lighting; I have a new set of LED Bias lights (made to go behind TVs) that have a really cool “rolling rainbow” pattern! I like those because I can use a standard USB port battery pack to power them that easily recharges overnight, and can power a phone in a pinch.

I just use standard strap around bike lights (like 2 sets of these) for the headlights, and tail lights; I put one each tail light facing behind me on the “legs” of the seat, on either side, down at the bottom of the post where it will throw off the most light, but (hopefully) not shine in any child’s eyes, especially when seated. I use 2 of the bright white lights for headlights, and wrap the fasteners around the front wheel bracket on either side; that way they throw light in any direction I turn, but again are as low as possible to help protect the littlest stroller nuggets.

Apparently, I need to find either a plush Sven on our next visit - or one of my offline friends suggested tying some oversized plush or decorative carrots to the handlebars! LOL not sure about either one of those suggestions yet! Family and friends are *full* of ideas, but I’m not sure how many of them I am actually going to try and implement!

Also debating seat options; when you have 3 different seat bases and 2 different backs to pick from, its interesting to try all the different positions!

How comfortable is the new seat base? Is it hard or cushioned? I could never tell what the new Escape’s seat base was made from.
So glad you have the new one. I’m eager to hear how you like it at WDW. 😁

How comfortable is the new seat base? Is it hard or cushioned? I could never tell what the new Escape’s seat base was made from.
So glad you have the new one. I’m eager to hear how you like it at WDW. 😁

The new seat base is kind of a firm foam; it has just the right amount of "give" if you know what I mean!

I have only gotten to sit on Sven so far - no driving yet with my throttle hand currently out of commission!

Does it have hand brakes or does it automatically brake when you remove your hand from the throttle?

How does this compare with other scooters in this category. Things like seat comfort or opinion on build quality don't show up with mfg description

Now that you've had it for a little while. what's the longest you've been able to use it for? And how is it on hills. Looks like a useful ride to have!

Now that you've had it for a little while. what's the longest you've been able to use it for? And how is it on hills. Looks like a useful ride to have!
Mammabunny hasn't been on DIS since the end of January

I can't find many reviews online. I'm trying to find out what tradeoffs, other then $$, are a result of size.

OK, I'm sorry - I'm here to answer some questions :-)

Does it have hand brakes or does it automatically brake when you remove your hand from the throttle?

How does this compare with other scooters in this category. Things like seat comfort or opinion on build quality don't show up with mfg description
So, as far as brakes go, it does have hand brakes (you squeeze them back towards the handlebar) *and* it will stop forward movement when you release the throttle.

If you are on any kind of incline, when you release the throttle, you will want to either use your handbrakes, or it's "Fred Flinstone" time, and put your feet on the ground to help prevent rolling away.

As far as seat comfort goes, that is a bit subjective. This version of the TravelScoot has a new seat design with a very dense foam, so it can be thinner and lighter. It has a slight curl to the back of the bottom seat cushion, and I believe it is reasonably comfortable.

I (still) do not use the seat back; that is a personal decision, made because I cannot adjust it so that it doesn't hit a portion of my back that is still tender from previous surgery. Plus, I like being able to just swing my leg over the seat, sit down, and drive away. With both arms extended (and you need to be able to use both arms, in full disclosure) you may find that your core strength is sufficient to allow you to ride without the seat back as well. The seat back does not add much weight; I just prefer without it.

Caveat: I am still recovering from lower back surgery, so what is tolerable for me is quite different from someone who may have other physical issues. From speaking with them fairly recently, the folks at TravelScoot report that the new seat style is very popular, and my family members all report that they like it.

Build quality: My husband is still an A&P, still works for a major American Airline. :::ahem those are your hints, people::: He remains very impressed with the overall quality of the TravelScoot. The welds are sturdy. and well-dressed. It also excels at repairability; even with my limited physical resources, I could probably repair/replace 90% of the device with no assistance. TravelScoot has an extensive YouTube library of videos about every aspect of their devices, and most of the things that will require replacement are covered there. Any questions you may have can easily be addressed simply by calling them; Kevin is the current owner, and is the previous owner's nephew, and he worked there for years before Tony retired. Plus, Tony still comes in to the shop all the time LOL.

The design of the current model is much easier for my family members to handle, and with the seat removed it can be placed nearly flat in the trunk of a vehicle. I have no doubt it will be a part of our family for a loooooong time.

Admittedly, I have not ridden it much in the last 3 or 4 months due to circumstances, but I was able to finally use it the other day for a very short trip into the store, and I still love it.

In January I took it to WDW, and it performed like a champ. Even at WDW, however, I am probably never sitting on it for more than an hour; we are getting in/out of rides, eating meals, riding buses, using the bathroom... LOL I am just never on it for very long.

On hills, if you are stopped, you will need to use the brakes and/or your feet (you just literally put your feet down on the ground under the foot pegs... it's super simple) to prevent rolling away, but you are in control of that.

When going up/down hills, it works just fine. It literally outruns my Zoomer chair on some hills, and works as well as the Fold & Go. Going downhill is (of course) easy; you just let go of the throttle, and pay attention to the brakes. I never feel scared or worried at WDW about the hills.

Mammabunny hasn't been on DIS since the end of January

I can't find many reviews online. I'm trying to find out what tradeoffs, other then $$, are a result of size.

Probably the biggest tradeoff between the TravelScoot and a "standard" granny scooter is that you don't get things like arm rests, USB charging ports, or a "floor" to put your feet on. You do, however, get a shiny little bike bell, it doesn't beep when you back up (yes, it has reverse, or you can just "Fred Flinstone" it) and the lithium-ion battery should take care of you all day at Disney (on a new/newer unit).

I have always viewed the TravelScoot as ideal for me because I was not interested in amenities; I wanted something that I could easily manage on my own, and that would go all day at WDW.

Comfort is subjective, and I cannot predict how anyone else will feel after a day of using a TravelScoot. I can say that if you are ambulatory at all, you will most likely fare better than someone who tries to sit all the time; this class of device is very much a "point A to point B" type of device.

°O° °o° °o° °o° °O° °o° °o° °o° °O°

I hope this helps answer some of your questions!

Do you happen to know the weight capacity? I would greatly appreciate it.

OK, I thought I had seen something about capacity, and I just (finally) found it! Yay for perseverance!

On the Warranty page it states: “The warranty does not cover normal wear-and-tear or use by persons weighing more than 350 lbs.”

But… From this page on the TravelScoot USA website:

“We have many customers weighing over 450 lbs that depend on the TravelScoot daily.”

There we go! We have an answer! (Actually 2!) :-)

If you need further clarification, I would reach out to Kevin at TravelScoot - They are there Mon - Friday (I believe the hours on the website; they are on Pacific time)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter