Let Go and Begin Again (Comments Welcome.)

Before heading to HHN last night. We made a quick stop on the Boardwalk for dinner, I went to the bakery and got a huge turkey sandwich. I probably looked like a complete weirdo as I pulled it apart to eat it. I at all the insides (turkey, Swiss, tomato, lettuce) by rolling them up in different combinations. I ate only about a half slice of the bread. I also ate the cucumber salad that came with it. Not an awesome meal, but it served my needs for the most part.

We were at HHN for about 6 hours and I developed a horrible headache which I think was partially due to being hungry and partially due to dehydration. I drank two bottles of water while there, but the damage was done. I wasn't really hungry while I was there, so I just had a cheese stick when I got home.

I was shocked when I woke up to find out it was 11 am. I never ever sleep in! Since it was so late, we skipped breakfast and went straight to lunch, we weren't sure what we were going to do with our day, so we stayed local, and walked to the dolphin and ate at The Fountain. I had the
tomato soup and a BLT. I took off about half the bacon, but was disappointed that the buttered the bread, points not well used!

We then headed to Animal Kingdom, the kids were off on their own, and later decided they did not want to follow the original plan of The Wave and Top of the World. So plans are now rearranged! Stay tuned.

Well, I am back, and I did really great on for the first 48 hours. And then Saturday night happened. After the kids bailed on our dinner plans, we made reservations at Yachtsman, as I had always wanted to try it. i knew it would be a splurge meal, but that was okay. Between the wine at the Yachtsman and a few cocktails at the room, I wound up having too many of said cocktails. In the morning, I just wanted a greasy breakfast, and all point counting went out the window with a trip to I hop.:headache:

Well, since I had already screwed up, I decided to do food and wine that evening in full affect. Well, at least the food part. Boy, did I have some great things!

Monday, wasn't much better, with a few food and wine tastings and a Wendy's burger at the airport.:eek:

1. Alcohol only one night.-DVC members are currently allowed at the Top of the World Lounge, so we are going there to watch fireworks, I'm planning on having a cocktail or two there. Yes I know it's food and wine fest, but I will save that for our November trip. Grade-C I had alcohol three times. I had a 6 oz beer on our first day, and a kir on Sunday night, both at food and wine fest. After our plans for Top of the World changed, I ended up having a few too many cocktails on Saturday.

2. TRACK, TRACK, TRACK-It is too easy to get out of the habit for me. So even if I have dessert, I will right it down, and estimate points the best I can. Grade-B. Well, I tracked everything...even the two days i was well over 50 pts. I didn't always track immediately, which would have kept me on a slightly better track.

3. Err on the side of proteins over carbs.Grade A-I think I actually did really great on this. I avoided the bread basket at Yachtsman, I ate my Sukiyaki beef at Japan without the roll, I never ate chips or fries, and even ate a turkey sandwich without (most of) the bread. So at least that's one win! :thumbsup2

4. Eat breakfast in our unit. Grade-D. I had great intentions, but only managed to eat breakfast in our unit one day. The big problem was that we had two late nights which really threw off my sleep schedule. I'm confident I can do this better next time.

5. Check menus and find at least one better counter service option in each park. Well, didn't spend as much time in the parks as I expected so I'm going to say NA.

Here is what I won't do:

1. Say no to something that I really want because it's too many points.well, I get an A on this one.:rotfl::rotfl2:

2. Say yes to something that I don't really want just because it's vacation.And this one too!:lmao:

3. Give up when I get back if I have only maintained or gained. (This one will be tougher, but I am DETERMINED!!!!)Ok, so I didnt' do so great. But I am set to be back on track today.

Overall, I will give myself a C+. I think I did some things right and some things wrong, and there is definitely room for improvement.

I made some good decisions when it came to walking...walked to DHS and Epcot from BWV. I did laps around the World Showcase and only allowed myself one to two items per lap.

As of this morning, I was up 3 pounds, one more pound than I wanted to be, but I believe at least one pound if not two will be gone by weigh in two days.

We head back in three short weeks, though we will be offsite. I will definitely do better next time....without the kids around, and staying offsite, eating healthy will be a bit easier. I will still splurge, as we do have plans for a food and wine day.

I truly believe this is a lifestyle change, and in reality, I will want to eat a little differently on vacation. I am just going to need to work on finding that balance.

Today is a new day...and I'm ready to go.

I have never done rewards for weight loss, but on the WW boards I saw the idea and was surprised at how controversial it was. Many people are adamantly against rewarding yourself, and believe the loose fitting clothes and the lower number on the scale should be enough reward. I do think this is the best reward, but I also don't understand the harm in a little reward too! These really aren't driving anything I do, but are just perks.

Weight Loss "Rewards" and Goals

I have decided to go with percentages of weight lost, well, just because!:lmao:

I have really only fully decided on the first and last items...the other three are more placeholders. I will update those when I think of something grand!

5% or 184.8 Goal Achieved and order placed November 1, 2012.
$50 to spend at Kiehls Ok, I spent $61 :-)
Rationale: I am not they type of woman who spends alot of money on toiletries...but I have had two products from Kiehls in the past that I have absolutely loved, both I received as gifts. It is the ultimate in decadence for me...and why not feel good about it?

10% or 175.0
Nutrition Consultation
Rationale: While I know I'm eating better than ever, I think this could be beneficial.

15% or 165.4
Cooking Class geared toward healthy eating
Rationale: I enjoy cooking...but can get overwhelmed, but by this point, I will be looking for new ideas.

20 % or 155.6
Spa Day
Rationale: Because I'm worth it :-)

25% or Goal (146 or 147, respectively)
Tiffany Twist Bow Ring
Rationale: I love the idea that the bow tied around your finger is supposed to remind you of something. I think that this bow would symbolize my journey and the dedication it took to get there.

Fitness "Rewards" and Goals

Now that I have fully entrenched myself in WW eating lifestyle, I really need to kick into gear on fitness. I haven't been to the gym in quite some time, and have never been very fit, even when I've been thin.

I have two goals when it comes to fitness.

Run a 5k
Reward: Get fitted for a pair of running shoes.

Compete in a RunDisney event (ToT 10 miler or Half-Marathon)
Reward: TBD

While there are benefits to living and eating alone, there are also some challenges. The biggest challenge for me is how to balance not wasting food and not getting bored, and I've never truly figured this out. I have started freezing more, but not everything freezes well.

What I'm eating right now:

Breakfast
Homemade Pumpkin spice muffins (4 pts); Special K with Red Berries and Almond Milk (4 pts); Vita Sandwiches (3 pts)

Lunch/Dinner
Texas Chili Made with Frontera Grill starter (5-7 points); Tacos (4-7 points); Carrot Soup (3 pts); Salads (1-5 pts); Deli Turkey wraps (3-5 pts); Trader Joes Buffalo Chicken meatballs w/ Laughing Cow Blue Cheese); Polenta (3 pts); just for one broccoli and cheese (1 pt);

Snacks
blueberries; grapes; watermelon; celery w/ laughing cow (1 pt); Warm Goat cheese and pita crackers (4 pts); Cucumbers; cheese stick; grape or cherry tomatos; Tall Mocha Light Frappucino (3 pts); Almonds

Desserts
Skinny Cow Sandwiches (4 pts); WW snack size fudge bars (1 point); cool whip cones (3 points); Individual rice crispy treats (2-5 points); No sugar added fruit bars (1 pt)

Today was my official weigh in day and I was down 2.8 pounds! My weekly weight loss average is currently at 1.8, but this was buoyed by a five pound loss a few weeks ago.

One of the things that has hampered my efforts in the past is unrealistic goals and putting to much focus on the end goal. WHen you have a significant chunk of weight to lose, in my case about 50 pounds, having a very small weight loss, no loss, or even a gain, is very daunting when you are just looking at 50 pounds. This time, I have decided to focus on smaller increments of 5 percent or about 10 pounds. I believe I will this mark next week, which will about 6 weeks since I started.

As I lose more weight, \ it is possible, and even likely that the weight loss will slow down.

Here is what I think may be a realistic timeline to hit these milestones...note the final one is just over a year from where I started! The first and the last 5%'s post the greatest challenge here...but I am comfortable readjusting as I need to! (I will also readjust if I do better than expected.)

January 3- (9 weeks/1.1 pound a week) 10%
Why this date? Holidays are OVER!
Roadbumps: Disney Food and Wine Trip; Thanksgiving; Christmas Parties; Christmas

March 21- (11 weeks/.9 pounds a week) 15%
Why this date? Major Presentation complete; Start of Disney Weekend with my best friend
Roadbumps: 1 week vacation

June 20- (13 weeks/.75 a week) 20%
Why this date? The real start of summer!
Potential Roadbumps: Two disney weekends; Easter; Mothers day

October 3- (15 weeks/.6 pounds a week) 25%/Goal
Roadbumps: Summer!!!!! Ice Cream, barbecues!

Since I am about a month into my journey, I thought it might be good to update how I am doing on my goals.
Food/Diet

I will be following Weight Watchers online and counting points. I will use my weeklies as needed for eating out or special occasions, though ideally I won’t use them all. At this point I am not earning Activity Points, but when I start, I won’t plan on using them.

I have not been great at the good health guidelines, and that is where I need to put more effort.

I am going to focusing on creating a sustainable lifestyle when it comes to food, as how I live now will have to be something I can live with forever in order to stay at goal once I achieve it.

The word diet in my journal will be used to denote a way of eating as in a healthy diet, not a temporary way of depriving myself.

Food part 2

While the WW plan encourages you to eat more healthy foods, I want to commit to a few things more explicitly.
1. Significantly reduce the intake of artificial sweeteners.
  • Eliminate sweetener from my morning coffee:surfweb:Not yet eliminated, but reduced. Only one packet of splenda instead of two in my coffee.
  • Eliminate soda (this is tough as I am more addicted to diet soda than
anything else.):worried:Not yet eliminated, but reduced, I would say I have cut back by about a third
2. Eat more fruit and eat more veggies.
  • Eating fruit is easy enough, and I have been eating typically two servings a day.Still doing well here, and definitely trying to make this more interesting. My current favorite snack is watermelon and fresh mint.
  • Not so easy for me, as my favorite raw veggies, cucumbers and tomatoes, give me heart burn. I need to learn to cook more without using butter!
I am doing okay, here, but not as well as I would like. I do usually get at least one to two servings a day though.
3. Significantly reduce alcohol consumption, no more than once a week.
  • After I quit smoking, I used wine for stress relief, and probably a bit too much. I have already been on the once a week kick for the last three weeks, and those have been for special events. Still doing well here, with the exception of when I was in Disney.
  • I no longer keep wine in the house.
4. Reduce intake of carbs.
  • Or as I like to call it…eat only good bread. If I’m going to eat a bagel, it’s going to be a real one, not a bagel thin. If I’m going to eat a slice of bread, it’s going to be home-made or from a real bakery. And since these things are higher in points, that will be less likely.
I am doing really well here!
5. Reduce intake of fried foods.
For me this is probably the easiest, but I still think it’s important to remind me that I can make a better choice.This one continues to be easy for me.
6. Focus on getting my protein and dairy. (Added 10/9)Need to be more proactive and plan my week better here.

Workout/Exercise Plan
As I mentioned in the previous post, I HATE working out. If there is a stronger word than hate, use that one. A couple of years ago, I got a personal trainer and it did improve my fitness. But then we pushed to hard, and I had a back injury that laid me out for months. (I couldn’t drive for six weeks and haven’t ridden expedition Everest since.) Then I got a new personal trainer, after the first one move away, and she was wonderful…until SHE had an injury and had to quit. I haven’t been back to the gym since.
I decided to focus on getting the food part on track first, but plan on getting back to the gym and working out after my return from our October Disney trip.

I will be most doing cardio machines to begin with, and am considering do the Couch 2 5k program, but will need to look into it more. I did check out the RunDisney site yesterday, and it almost makes me want to run. Almost. A big fail here....I've been telling myself I should work out in the morning, and then I just can't get myself out of bed...next week, I'm going to pack my bag for the afternoon.

I am lucky to be taking my SECOND trip to WDW since restarting my WW journey a little over a month ago. I started off with a great plan, but the wheels came off after two pretty late nights! I learned from that trip and will be adjusting my plans and expectations accordingly. Below I have modified the expectations from my original trip.

I posted a version of this in another thread, but I thought it would be good for me to post here, as one of the reasons I started the WISH journal is to hold myself more accountable.

I'll be in WDW this time next week for a long weekend. ..and then again in early November. We own DVC and another timeshare, so we get down a few times a year for shorter trips. I have ALWAYS planned our trips around food, and had aspirations once about eating at every TS on site.

Here is what I will do:

1. Alcohol only one night.-DVC members are currently allowed at the Top of the World Lounge, so we are going there to watch fireworks, I'm planning on having a cocktail or two there. Yes I know it's food and wine fest, but I will save that for our November trip. This trip I will be allowing alcohol twice. We are having dinner at Jiko, and I will have a few glasses of wine. We are also heading to F & W and there are a few drinks I am interested in trying...I'm looking at you Sunny Guava with coconut rum!:banana: I have been really great at reducing my alcohol intake in daily life so, I figure I'll give myself a little vacation splurge!

2. TRACK, TRACK, TRACK-It is too easy to get out of the habit for me. So even if I have dessert, I will right it down, and estimate points the best I can. Still planning on doing this...I think this keeps me accountable and really helps to see what affect what I eat has on the scale.

3. Err on the side of proteins over carbs. Still believe this is the way to go.

4. Eat breakfast in our unit. Still the plan, though I have the AP Fantasyland preview our first morning...which has me leaving our condo at around 7 a.m (which is 6 a.m. central time)...not sure I'll be motivated to make breakfast...hopefully I'll remember to pick up a banana at the grocery store.

5. Check menus and find at least one better counter service option in each park. Not overly relevant on this trip.

Here is what I won't do:

1. Say no to something that I really want because it's too many points. Keeping this mantra!

2. Say yes to something that I don't really want just because it's vacation. And this one too!

3. Give up when I get back if I have only maintained or gained. (This one will be tougher, but I am DETERMINED!!!!) This to me is number #1!

The main thing I learned about myself last time, and I have mentioned this before is....that if this is truly going to be a lifestyle change, I am going to want to splurge a bit on vacations for the rest of my life. This will most likely mean I will put on a few pounds each time, and will need to buckle down when I get home each time. I prefer this to seeing awesome food I wish I was eating, and depriving myself.

So here is the basic plan this time!

Friday (We have a weird midday flight, so in order to avoid hunger, I am going to be eating airport food...probably twice)
Breakfast--Honestly, will probably be an egg mcmuffin and some fruit.
Lunch--Again, will probably be the healthiest version of fast food I can find...Our flight lands at the point I typically go from hungry to psycopathic rage.:furious::furious::furious:
Dinner--Currently, Olivias.....though DBF will be getting his DVC AP this trip, so I may be able to convince him to do dinner in the parks!

Saturday
Breakfast--Yogurt:headache: and a banana?
Snack--LeFou's Brew :cool1:
Lunch--No official plan--CS at a MK area resort; WCC or....
Dinner--Jiko :woohoo:

Sunday
Breakfast--Oatmeal and fruit
Lunch--Food and Wine Fest
Dinner--????

Monday
Breakfast--Oatmeal and fruit
Lunch--No plan
Dinner-Airport

Today I hit my first mini goal--10 pounds and 5% (they are close but not exactly the same.)

Tomorrow I head back to Orlando (off site this time)...but I am looking forward to a little more food and wine fest and the Fantasyland Preview!!!:cool1:

Currently in Orlando.

Travel Day- Friday
Breakfast
egg mc muffin and banana
Lunch/dinner (arrived in Orlando around 2 pm/checked in and headed to Epcot)

Beef rendang (Singapore )-ate all the beef, but very little rice
White corn arepa with mangalitsa pork rillette and zellwood sweet corn salad (Florida)- ate a few bites of the arepa, most of the corn
Ravioli do formaggio all'Emiliana (Italy)-two small bites
Salsiccia e "papacelli" Napoletani (Italy)- a couple of bites
Seared Filet of beef with Braai sauce/hold the sweet potatoes (South Africa)- small bite of beef
Mongolian beef in Steamed bun (China)-all of it!
Pork Potstickers (China)-small bite
Dessert sampler-(Desserts and champagne)-all of it

Snack
Pineapple and kashi bar

Saturday
Breakfast
Banana and Greek yogurt

Snack
LeFous brew (about 1/4 of it)

Lunch
Cuban sandwich at Olivia's
Three or four potato chips

Snack
The foot off my chocolate covered Ginger bread man from Goofy's candy company

Second snack
Grapefruit

Dinner-Jiko
Half chicken flat bread
One bite of wild boar
Beef bobotie rolls
Tea inspired dessert

Hey there -- Just wanted to say it's great to see that you are keeping up with everything. Awesome Job!!!!!

I have to admit though I am a bit jealous that you've been able to visit WDW twice in the last while and I haven't been back in over a year. :(

LOL no worries we are going to hit the Poly for a couple of days at the beginning of January.

Keept it up!!!!

Back from our 4 day jaunt to Orlando...I was terrified to get on the scale, because I ate ALOT and really didn't do that much walking...but I only gained 1.6 pounds...I can handle that!

Sunday
Breakfast-Yogurt and Banana

All Day Grazing at Food and Wine Fest
Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileys Irish Cream Ganache
Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial
Griddled Greek Cheese with Pistachios and Honey
Ropa Vieja (braised beef) with Cilantro Rice
Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw
Sparkling Pomegranate Kir x2

And then, DBF...who hadn't eaten much...wanted to go to Chefs de France!

So I had a Cheese plate and some chocolate mousse!

Dinner
Wendy's plain cheeseburger (we hadn't eaten again, and were on the way back from seeing Argo and just wanted something quick)

Monday
We had planned to eat in our room, but well the septic system backed up in our bathroom and flooded our room...so we just wanted to get out.

Market Street Cafe in Celebration
Breakfast Croissant sandwich and Fruit

Lunch
Too full from breakfast!

Dinner
Chilis to go at the airport
Ham and Cheese sandwich (ate half and only a few fries...that place is gross!)

Hey there -- Just wanted to say it's great to see that you are keeping up with everything. Awesome Job!!!!!

I have to admit though I am a bit jealous that you've been able to visit WDW twice in the last while and I haven't been back in over a year. :(

LOL no worries we are going to hit the Poly for a couple of days at the beginning of January.

Keept it up!!!!

Now I'm jealous! I've always wanted to stay at the Poly.

Grades for November Offsite Food and Winte Trip

Here is what I will do:

1. Alcohol -- This trip I will be allowing alcohol twice. We are having dinner at Jiko, and I will have a few glasses of wine. We are also heading to F & W and there are a few drinks I am interested in trying...I'm looking at you Sunny Guava with coconut rum! I have been really great at reducing my alcohol intake in daily life so, I figure I'll give myself a little vacation splurge!Well, I did stick to having alcohol only twice, though I never got my Sunny Guava with coconut rum...but I did have a couple of kirs. Grade: B+

2. TRACK, TRACK, TRACK-It is too easy to get out of the habit for me. So even if I have dessert, I will right it down, and estimate points the best I can. Still planning on doing this...I think this keeps me accountable and really helps to see what affect what I eat has on the scale.Grade B+

3. Err on the side of proteins over carbs. Still believe this is the way to go.I've really think this is one of the keys to me not gaining much, and even losing a little this trip. Grade: A

4. Eat breakfast in our unit. Still the plan, though I have the AP Fantasyland preview our first morning...which has me leaving our condo at around 7 a.m (which is 6 a.m. central time)...not sure I'll be motivated to make breakfast...hopefully I'll remember to pick up a banana at the grocery store.Did great 2 out of three mornings, ate my yogurt and banana. 3rd morning our timeshare flooded...so we went out for breakfast. Given the circumstances B+

Here is what I won't do:

1. Say no to something that I really want because it's too many points. Keeping this mantra!I ate well this trip! A
2. Say yes to something that I don't really want just because it's vacation. And this one too! B+

3. Give up when I get back if I have only maintained or gained. (This one will be tougher, but I am DETERMINED!!!!) This to me is number #1!
The main thing I learned about myself last time, and I have mentioned this before is....that if this is truly going to be a lifestyle change, I am going to want to splurge a bit on vacations for the rest of my life. This will most likely mean I will put on a few pounds each time, and will need to buckle down when I get home each time. I prefer this to seeing awesome food I wish I was eating, and depriving myself. Immediately back on the wagon, staying to my minimum points for two days.

So here is the basic plan this time!

Friday (We have a weird midday flight, so in order to avoid hunger, I am going to be eating airport food...probably twice)
Breakfast--Honestly, will probably be an egg mcmuffin and some fruit. Yep, egg mcmuffin and banana. Didn't realize the egg mcmuffin was now 8 pts until I ate it...but it was still worth it!
Lunch--Again, will probably be the healthiest version of fast food I can find...Our flight lands at the point I typically go from hungry to psycopathic rage. DBF wanted to get to the room immediately, so we sort of skipped lunch and did food and wine as a combo lunch/dinner.
Dinner--Currently, Olivias.....though DBF will be getting his DVC AP this trip, so I may be able to convince him to do dinner in the parks! See lunch

Saturday
Breakfast--Yogurt and a banana? Yogurt and banana
Snack--LeFou's Brew About 1/3 of a LeFou's brew...too sweet for me, plus I normally don't like to drink my points!
Lunch--No official plan--CS at a MK area resort; WCC or....Olivias, I got the Cuban sandwich, it was okay....got the homemade chips and ate two.
Dinner--Jiko Share a flatbread and the wild boar for appetizers, ordered the bobotie rolls as my main course, and then got the Tea inspired dessert.

Sunday
Breakfast--Oatmeal and fruit Yogurt and fruit
Lunch--Food and Wine Fest ate our way around the world....
Dinner--????Wendy's single

Monday
Breakfast--Oatmeal and fruit Breakfast sandwich in Celebration and Fruit
Lunch--No planNone...that breakfast sandwich was huge...I think I ate some fruit though.
Dinner-Airport Chilis too in the airport...ate half my sandwich and a couple of boneless chicken wings...gross.

Ugh, this was a tough week! I came back from WDW really wanting to hope back on the wagon, but I didn't do so hot. Now I still had a loss...but I'm pretty sure that was due to a little case of food poisoning. :crazy2: I barely tracked in Disney, and I have not been great at tracking in the last week.

Here is what my week looked like:

Thursday: work related luncheon followed by evening Book Club
Friday: Work sponsored Happy Hour
Saturday and Sunday: Stayed on track
Monday: Work related lunch and Dinner with friends
Tuesday: Work Related lunch
Wednesday: Dinner with friends

Oh, and I once binged on pita chips...they are the devil.

Luckily this week...no plans! Hopefully I can get back on target and have a big loss heading into Thanksgiving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter