Leverage: anyone considering SSR purchase:

Status
Not open for further replies.
CarolA said:
BINGO!

What did we do before forums like these? Lived happily in ignorance.

Carol, and you would not believe how much Disney wishes every single day that ignorance still exisited, :rotfl:

CapeCodFam said:
:rotfl2:

It is odd isn't it...

Really it's not that odd. More and more children are asthmatic these days. Many experts believe it is due to more and more additives in our food sources. Asthma is certainly not anything, anyone should make fun. One's lifestyle has to change to live with it.

Shan, I have far fewer points than you and always stay in a one or two bedroom....

Its a matter of priorities. Under the current system, if you need to be guarenteed a tub you have one choice - book a unit with a master bath. If are comfortable risking not having a tub in exchange for more nights or taking family, that's your choice, but you have made a choice. And at this point, an informed one. Personally, I don't think the risk is huge - and I bet if you got "no tub" you'd discover your kids stay pretty clean if they swim each day - you might not like it, but at the end of the vacation, no one would be sick from no tub or too smelly. I know people who canoe and camp during Spring and Fall in the Boundry Waters with smaller kids - no one takes a bath all week!

TCPluto said:
And for those that get so vocal and rude when talking about the H/A rooms, be glad you don't need one. I would love to get one and not need it. Think about that when you WALK into your room next time.

Is it possible that the world does not revolve around you?

my goodness this really has nothing at all to do with the issue. nothing at all

crisi said:
Shan, I have far fewer points than you and always stay in a one or two bedroom....

Its a matter of priorities. Under the current system, if you need to be guarenteed a tub you have one choice - book a unit with a master bath. If are comfortable risking not having a tub in exchange for more nights or taking family, that's your choice, but you have made a choice. And at this point, an informed one. Personally, I don't think the risk is huge - and I bet if you got "no tub" you'd discover your kids stay pretty clean if they swim each day - you might not like it, but at the end of the vacation, no one would be sick from no tub or too smelly. I know people who canoe and camp during Spring and Fall in the Boundry Waters with smaller kids - no one takes a bath all week!

insane, why should people have to completely alter their vacation just to be assured they get a BATH TUB! holy geeezz

Sammie said:
Really it's not that odd. More and more children are asthmatic these days. Many experts believe it is due to more and more additives in our food sources. Asthma is certainly not anything, anyone should make fun. One's lifestyle has to change to live with it.

My 9 y/o is asthmatic with severe allergies. We know all about it (editted: and not laughing at anyone for having any illness). But, It would be truly shameful if we exploit him to get something we prefer. For us to state we need non-smoking for asthma would be assinine. However, others don't seem to mind using leverage.

sjdisneywedding said:
not to be rude, but who in the world are you to judge what is important to other people and what they can or cant put up with. Maybe you put up with the smoke in public areas, but I certainly do not nor does any non smoker I know.

Basically this whole thing is *&#@-poor planning on the part of dvc. I stay in hundreds of hotel rooms a year and in every single one of them S/NS and HA/NHA are options. I have had exactly one smoking and one handicapped room in the last 4 years of traveling and that was by choice when told thats all they had at the time of booking.

I really dont care about 100% occupancy and what the rules on requests are now. Thisis Disney and I expect them to be on the very top when customer service is involved, period. At the very least allow these requests to be guarenteed at the 10-11 month mark. It wouldnt cause any problems on occupancy because everyone else would not be able to guarentee these requests. If something happens to the room they were assigned theres a hundred options to change it up

Make it work, this is absloutley ridiculous.

I'm not making a judgement on what's important, but the issue is what is "medically required" accomodations. Maybe I've led a sheltered life, having grown up in Detroit. But in 40 some years, this medcial necessity to be isolated from the smell of stale smoke is confined to this board. And I have 3 asthmatics in the family. The gross smell of a room having been smoked in is unpleasant to be sure, but the cause of medical reactions? Again, I'm sure it's possible, but how did they all end up on this board?

I would suggest that over 99% of the non-smoking world does not refuse to go into establishments which allow smoking. We certainly try to minimize our exposure (go less frequently, non-smoking section, etc.), but we still move freely in the environment, as does the smoke. We deal with the exposure. While it would be more convenient to not have to deal with it at all, most understand that they are not alone in the world.

I think much of our discussion regarding what DVC should do is quite juvenile. I would hazard a guess that not one of us, me included, is not involved in hotel management, particularly on the scale of WDW. For us to postulate what they should do is ridiculous.

I understand Disney wants happy customers enjoying magical vacations, down to the last guest. I'mjust not willing to shoulder the cost of making them all happy, and will make the best of what I get. It's not going to ruin my vacation, like it apparently does for some.

I do agree that hotel rooms sitting empty is costing members money though. And I'm not willing to bear that cost.

CapeCodFam said:
My 9 y/o is asthmatic with severe allergies. We know all about it. But, It would be truly shameful if we exploit him to get something we prefer. For us to state we need non-smoking for asthma would be assinine. However, others don't seem to mind using leverage.

once again, you and child may not be bothered, but it doesnt mean others wouldnt, no one knows what others can and cant deal with.

I just dont get it, does it make everyone feel so powerful and almighty when they let everyone know they can deal with a HA room or a smoking room?

come on people use your noodles!

crisi,
About the tub... We don't HAVE to have one, but it would be nice. I bathe my kids at home, don't use the shower. (My youngest has tubes and gets kinda freaked out.) I never knew when I joined DVC that this would even be a concern. Personally, I've never had to deal with such a concern in all my past travels. I've always had a tub in my rooms without asking. I think it would be correct for DVC to mention this when you join. I think wanting a tub in your room is a reasonable want, I don't understand the logic of it being bad of me to want one. I'm not trying to be rude to others. Let's face it, we all spent some cash to join. Now I discover rooms at the values might be a better choice for us? UH?

Yes, I could use more points and stay in a one bedroom to insure I get a tub, but that is not the point. If that was the case, we could have not joined and stayed in values or moderates to go the amount of times we want. Once again, to be told of this room possibility beforehand would have been right I believe.

Now as far as the nonsmoking room goes, I personally don't want my daughter to suffer all week while on vacation. Again, I don't understand why others would resent me for that? It sounds like many don't understand how asthma works. And for anyone to question my child's health? Asthma is only one of several issues we have to deal with (actually the least of my worries), nobody knows our situation and I don't know their situation either.

I have an asthmaic child who also suffers from many allergies and one of his triggers is cigarette smoke.I always request a non-smoking room for medical reasons.

TCPluto said:
I would suggest that over 99% of the non-smoking world does not refuse to go into establishments which allow smoking. We certainly try to minimize our exposure (go less frequently, non-smoking section, etc.), but we still move freely in the environment, as does the smoke. We deal with the exposure. While it would be more convenient to not have to deal with it at all, most understand that they are not alone in the world. .

I dont know, actually I dont think its anywhere near that number, hence the state wide bans you are beginning to see on smoking in public places.

TCPluto said:
I think much of our discussion regarding what DVC should do is quite juvenile.

I completely disagree, hashing out problems is the beginning to change. Everything changes eventually. Nothing starts out perfect. I actually couldnt even care less what type of room I get, but that doesnt mean I cant see that the system could be better

I just dont even see what the cost would be to anyone if they allowed all requests to be made at the 11 month mark at your home resort. Its not a big deal. It would allow anyone with a need to book at their home resort, every other person would be in the same boat they are now.

so those who need the options have them and those who never did in the first place can stop complaining.

It has nothing to do with feeling powerful or almighty. Maybe my arugment wasn't the best use of an example. I wish I was a wordsmith.

There just seems to be a high occurrence of medical necessities. It begs that either people are abusing the system or we have the most sickly bunch of members.

CapeCodFam said:
It has nothing to do with feeling powerful or almighty. Maybe my arugment wasn't the best use of an example. I wish I was a wordsmith.

There just seems to be a high occurrence of medical necessities. It begs that either people are abusing the system or we have the most sickly bunch of members.

I believe there are alot of abusers, but you cant punish those who truly need it just because of these abusers. there will always be people who abuse the system.

if they set it up so those who need it can get it at their home resort at 11 months I think thats a step in the right direction. Then if you dont get it you cant complain, plain and simple.

There are always gonna be a few bad apples that will try to abuse the system. That doesn't mean everyone is lying. I have said before that I'd gladly supply DVC with a medical note from both her ped and allergist to be kept on file if it would help guarantee us a nonsmoking room.

Can't us DISers all get along? :goodvibes
I should have been asleep two hours ago. Wonder how many pages this will be up to tomorrow? Nite!

EDIT - Wow, sjdisneywedding. Looks like we were typing almost the same thing at the same time. Great minds think alike. :rotfl:

sjdisneywedding said:
my goodness this really has nothing at all to do with the issue. nothing at all

I respectfully disagree with your assessment, please try to do the same.

I think it is relevent. While those of us that do deal with physical disabilities are likely prone to being more sensitive to the issues, it is something we all should think about.

How do you think it makes a handicapped person feel when you repeatedly degrade an accommodation set aside to assist them (an assistance not for enjoyment, but adaptions which allow daily life matters to be addressed)? Do you think they receive another message as well?

sjdisneywedding said:
I believe there are alot of abusers, but you cant punish those who truly need it just because of these abusers. there will always be people who abuse the system.

if they set it up so those who need it can get it at their home resort at 11 months I think thats a step in the right direction. Then if you dont get it you cant complain, plain and simple.

I agree. Unfortunately, even a guaruntee could fall through if rooms are taken out of service unexpectedly. However, I'd bet many members would appreciate a first-come first-served priorities list.

The only issue of the two (smoking and HA rooms) that I really would like to see changed the most is the shower vs tub in the HA studios only.

I think I would not be very upset at all if I got an HA room and it had a handicaped accessible tub instead of just a shower (especially if the reports are true that water runs into the bathroom from the shower. The 1br and up seem to have both shower and tub in the HA rooms, thus the only concern I have is to make the current SSR HA studio rooms being built into handicaped accessible tubs.

I would be willing to not complain at all if I could have this change :flower:

Is this asking too much? Do you think Disney would change it? Your thoughts?

TCPluto said:
I respectfully disagree with your assessment, please try to do the same.

I think it is relevent. While those of us that do deal with physical disabilities are likely prone to being more sensitive to the issues, it is something we all should think about.

How do you think it makes a handicapped person feel when you repeatedly degrade an accommodation set aside to assist them (an assistance not for enjoyment, but adaptions which allow daily life matters to be addressed)? Do you think they receive another message as well?

I do respect your assessment and

I am probably more aware than you would believe of a handicapped persons feelings

but my belief is that HA rooms are designed for specific reasons to meet specific needs. It doesnt mean they are "horrible" or "terrible" or better or worse or anything. For the majority of people they pose no problems at all, but they could be without a tub and they do have lower counter and stoves which could lead to issues with children.

Also I have read of differences with beds which I personally am unaware of.

I

lenshanem said:
There are always gonna be a few bad apples that will try to abuse the system. That doesn't mean everyone is lying. I have said before that I'd gladly supply DVC with a medical note from both her ped and allergist to be kept on file if it would help guarantee us a nonsmoking room.

Can't us DISers all get along? :goodvibes
I should have been asleep two hours ago. Wonder how many pages this will be up to tomorrow? Nite!

EDIT - Wow, sjdisneywedding. Looks like we were typing almost the same thing at the same time. Great minds think alike. :rotfl:

A doctors note is no guarantee.

We have friends who wanted our DCL cabin on a cruise we cancelled, because it was H/A (larger, with a bigger bathroom). To say this couple was a bit on the large size is a huge understatement. Morbid obesity is more accurate. They were going to have a relative who is a doctor write a note for a medical condition. We of course refused, as they were clearly skirting the rules,but more importantly, the ethics of the matter. More importantly, they would have been taking a room from someone who really needed it.

No, the doctors note is no gurantee that it's still not the case of someone not liking the smell of a room having been smoked in, and using the doctors noteto get their way.

Can't we just make lying illegal???

sjdisneywedding said:
I do respect your assessment and

I am probably more aware than you would believe of a handicapped persons feelings

but my belief is that HA rooms are designed for specific reasons to meet specific needs. It doesnt mean they are "horrible" or "terrible" or better or worse or anything. For the majority of people they pose no problems at all, but they could be without a tub and they do have lower counter and stoves which could lead to issues with children.

Also I have read of differences with beds which I personally am unaware of.

I

You missed my point completely....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter