• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

List of no-no's for carry-on luggage

ivanova

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>Hi
Okay, Swiss Army knives are now on the confiscation list these days. But what else should NOT be packed on carry-on luggage (unless you're willing to lose it at the security check point, never to see it again)?

Knitting needles
lighters & matches
propane/butane/etc.
metal nail files (emory boards are fine)
nail clipeprs with the little metal file attached
tweezers
cuticle scissors
hatchets
Ginzu knives
blasting caps
Great Great Uncle Horatio's bayonette

Anyone have anything else to add :D

Anne

From USAir's site:

Customers are now permitted to carry on nail clippers, safety razors (including disposable razors), syringes (with proper documentation), tweezers, walking canes and umbrellas.

Items that are prohibited in carry-on baggage include: cutting instruments of any size or material, corkscrews, baseball/softball bats, golf clubs, pool cues, ski poles, and hockey sticks. These items may be included in checked baggage.

----------------------------------------------

Don't try to carry on those bats, ski poles or hockey sticks! ;)

the lighter thing has been an issue from the begining. The only thing I can say is that they didn't confiscate ours. I had mine in my coat pocket and put it thru the conveyer belt x-ray and they didn't say anything. DH put his on the doggie dish and they didn't say anything either.

Here is where to keep up with the latest www.faa.gov

I don't think it is up to the airlines anymore since Checkpoint security is being handed over to the feds, but you may want to check with the airline at your particular airport (in the past airports had different rules depending on the dominent airline).

This is rather funny, my DH says no under wire bras. Yeah right! Well what if, but I don't think so. Maybe they turned up the power on the detectors. If so and the alarm goes off I guess you just tell them it's your under wire bra. Hopefully you don't have to show them!!! I think my DH is just toying with me. hehehe. But the thought of it!!! Gets a good laugh. :D

He wasn't kidding. There have been reports that if your underwire goes off, they may check by touch or even take you behind a screen. You can request a female security officer. I am not kidding, there was a thread in the past month on either transportation or the community board. When I flew in December, one woman's went off during the gate check, they asked if she had one on and just took her word for it. I don't think it usually goes off in the regular metal detector, it's when they do the wand thing that it beeps. I got wanded at the gate, it picked up the metal eyelets on my shoes.

I found an article on the underwires:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2001/12/14/usatcov-frisk.htm

I wear an underwire bra sometimes and I did set off the detectors on my trip in January. They went over me with the wand and nothing beeped. The security checker said "Oh well, it must have been your Magnetic Personality". Darn, I never dreamed it was my bra!

I read somewhere that they weren't allowing pens/pencils in carry-ons? I was planning on packing some in my kids backpacks to help keep them busy with workbooks, etc. I can't believe it has gone to this extreme. What about all the business people flying with briefcases? Please tell me this isn't true!

I haven't heard the pen/pencil thing. But who knows. Can you pack crayons?

dtuleya,
If you follow the following link, it will list the "no nos".
http://www.faa.gov/
They have yet to confiscate my pens, pencils, lighters, or matches. Something I carry with me at all times.
Rather than listen to rumor, check the website for your particular airline or the FAA link above.
Airlines can expand on items, but, they cannot do less. :)

Sorry, didn't notice the earlier link posted for the FAA. My point was, I couldn't believe this is true, but being someone who never flies, I didn't know where to look for the correct information. I thought that was the reason for these boards, to pass along information and have those more experienced travelers help us or steer us in the right direction.

Just to be sure go with the not sure, don't carry it on rule.

We have flown 3 times since 9/11 and just this last time had an eyeglass repair kit taken(from purse). But it has cleared the other 2 times. Also, son brought a toy gun he purchased in Disney in his backpack and had that taken. It was packed in his suitcase but on the cruise ship after Disney he must have packed it in the backpack.

No problems with pens, pencils, lighters, etc.

dtuleya
The reason for the boards, is, indeed, to share information and to post links to help others, and to ask questions. Most of the time you will get great information and assistance.
Many people do this to help others and spend a lot of time helping others because we love Disney and want to see others have a great time.
What you may read as a terse post is not necesarily one, look for a :) and you will know it was posted in a friendly way. :)

Sorry if I missed the :). Didn't see it there before (maybe my computer acting up again). Thanks for the help!

I always bring a few special food items on our trips. DH & I are debating whether to pack them in the luggage or carry them on. In particular, I bring a small brick of my favorite coffee which is vacuum packed in foil. I am worried that if they x-ray luggage, this item will concern them enough to open our suitcase. I usually carry these items, but I don't want a lengthy security check & miss our flight. We had a bad past experience, almost 5 yrs. ago. We were given a beautiful anniversary cake at V&A, which I wanted to bring home w/ us. I put it in the carry-on bag & the security check point freaked when it showed up on the x-ray. Wanted to cut the cake. We want to avoid any food problems on this flight, our first since 9/11.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter