"Live" from AKV

Just returned from our AKV stay SV two bedroom l/o. Agree with Doc that the rooms have a heavy feel to them, but they are nicely done. The fridge in our 1 bedroom side was full sized the l/o portion had a mini-fridge that seemed fine.

Drawbacks: No ice maker or ice trays in the large fridge. No grab bars in the master bath tub and because it is a jetted tub it is hard to get in and out of. Oddly they had a grab bar in the l/o unit tub. Also the master bath is "across the hall" from the master bedroom.

The interior doors need some sort of adornment. They are simple, plain dark wood doors. Too plain, given the ornate theming elsewhere in the villas and resort.

Agree that the flat panel TVs are great and it opens up some space.

Just a reminder for those of you who are going for a first visit -- the savannas look back at you (they have cameras that observe the resort balconies for security and safety. So you better be decent in your room or close the drapes :)

Anyone going next spring may get a treat as three of the giraffes are pregnant and due next year.

While many CMs seemed excited about DVC being a part of AKL, there were some who seemed almost bitter about it (front desk most notable although they may have been having a bad day - see below). Valet, bell services, resort security and the resort CMs who explain about the animals were all in top form and were great fun. Jiko was its usual great venue for our first night's dinner. Our server was superb, and the food equal to the service.

Check in for us on Sunday afternoon at 3:45 was a bit convoluted as we were not in the system (?) and no rooms available (from other conversations overheard it was a resort wide problem that day). Disney needs to solve its housekeeping and turnover challenges better than they are now.

The housekeeping staff are not up to speed on the villas as we had only one dishwasher detergent and no Tide. At T&T day they changed towels, emptied some (but not all) trash cans and did not replace amenities as they should. Did not complain as I figure this will sort itself out over time. I will comment on it in my post stay survey.

The construction for Kidani Village looks to be mostly site preparation. Also got a look at the CR construction project and was surprised by the size of the footprint for the new resort. I had assumed it would have been larger from the artist renderings we had seen.

The interior doors need some sort of adornment. They are simple, plain dark wood doors. Too plain, given the ornate theming elsewhere in the villas and resort.
I had this same reaction when touring the model rooms. The plain doors just looked odd compared to everything else. They weren't even stained the same color as the trim surrounding the door. Here is a photo from the model rooms showing the bathroom door and the double doors on the closet in the master bath. I'm just curious if they are using these same doors in Jambo House because I was hoping they were just temporary!

BR300.jpg

The fridge is not a full size in the 1 BR? So what size is it? The ice maker I can live without.

Our fridge is a "Space Saver" and is noticeably smaller than what we're used to. It is still larger than those found in studios.

Like JimC, we had only one packet of dishwashing soap and one detergent.

Yes, Lisa, those are the doors used in Jambo. They look like 60's woodgrain panelling.

Look like the same doors to me. Although the trim is a closer, but not exact, match to your photo.

The fridges are sometimes referred to as apartment size, bigger than the ones in the studios but smaller than the full size at OKW. I think they are the same though as SSR and BCV.

Yes, Lisa, those are the doors used in Jambo. They look like 60's woodgrain panelling.
Yes! That's exactly what they look like. Maybe they could use them in the 60's section at Pop Century but they look out of place at AKV.

They can use those doors. Just theme them like they do in the hallways. I am confidant that the design team can do this at a reasonable cost. It seemed so obvious when we walked into the villa.

When I toured the AKV models, both units, I really missed having an entranceway. You just walked into the room. It's funny how I could miss such a small area. But I did. The guide didn't even know what I was talking about.

I assume all AKV units will be the same in this regard.

Thanks for the review Doc and have a wonderful vacation at sea,

Lisa

See, and I"m the opposite. To me, the entrace ways are wasted space. I've stayed at BWV and VWL and don't like the entranceway space particularly in either one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter