LogisticsLand and Star Wars Land

I expected more out of the article, it briefly talks about the recently announced changes and vaguely speculates for the rest. We should all know that DL is going to go through a similar phase in preparation for SWL that Universal Hollywood went through in preparation for Harry Potter.

Is there any "closer" opening date for SW Land other than Summer '19?
I would like to go but don't want to be early. I know nothing s concrete but is "summer" early june, late August??
The crowds will not bother me, we are used to peak times at WDW like 7/4 for example

I would like to go but don't want to be early. I know nothing s concrete but is "summer" early june, late August??
The crowds will not bother me, we are used to peak times at WDW like 7/4 for example
No.

And I do not recall Disney saying "summer 2019". They just say "2019". Disney speculators like those on forums know Disney likes to open big new things for summer.

Also, FWIW, word from Disney is that SWL construction at WDW is running well behind DLR and it will open later at WDW than at DLR.

:wizard:

I am curious about the concept of "used to peak times". Is SWGE going to be a "peak time" event? As I troll and bait the different Disneyland sites, I have the observation that many see SWGE as just another peak time event. My feeling however is that it will not be a peak time event but one of unforeseen barriers, exceeding that of peak time, to visitors with great expectations. Star wars is not a Disney event, it is not a decade event, it is not a United States event, it is not a premier opening event... Star wars,in my exploration of pop culture, is the only pop culture phenomena that extends thru six decades...... that touches the 5 year old in 2018 ...... to the folks under 75 years of age who mistakenly saw a movie called Star Wars that hot summer night.

I see the concept of peak time as that which we apply to our commute to work, black Friday and Christmas Holidays at Disneyland. In Oregon I view driving to the Oregon Coast on the weekend a peak event but on July 4th the drive is a major, stressful family event, consuming hours of road travel, where to park, where to eat....expecting a normal drive and coast visit.....but discovered to be otherwise. I feel sorry for folks who plan I-5 trips in the fall in Oregon to head south to California, becoming stuck in hours of university football traffic, that football bumper to bumper traffic is not peak time traffic.

On the flip side, Aug 21, 2017 in western Oregon turned out to not be disastrous at all....all the pre-Cry Wolf planning worked, no one showed up. But in Central Oregon a whole different story of expectations of how many folks would arrive for the event.

As others have said, No. However, my hope is that it's open on or before D23 Expo. I am sure Disney wants to open as soon as they can to start bringing in the cash.

I am curious about the concept of "used to peak times". Is SWGE going to be a "peak time" event? As I troll and bait the different Disneyland sites, I have the observation that many see SWGE as just another peak time event. My feeling however is that it will not be a peak time event but one of unforeseen barriers, exceeding that of peak time, to visitors with great expectations. Star wars is not a Disney event, it is not a decade event, it is not a United States event, it is not a premier opening event... Star wars,in my exploration of pop culture, is the only pop culture phenomena that extends thru six decades...... that touches the 5 year old in 2018 ...... to the folks under 75 years of age who mistakenly saw a movie called Star Wars that hot summer night.

I see the concept of peak time as that which we apply to our commute to work, black Friday and Christmas Holidays at Disneyland. In Oregon I view driving to the Oregon Coast on the weekend a peak event but on July 4th the drive is a major, stressful family event, consuming hours of road travel, where to park, where to eat....expecting a normal drive and coast visit.....but discovered to be otherwise. I feel sorry for folks who plan I-5 trips in the fall in Oregon to head south to California, becoming stuck in hours of university football traffic, that football bumper to bumper traffic is not peak time traffic.

On the flip side, Aug 21, 2017 in western Oregon turned out to not be disastrous at all....all the pre-Cry Wolf planning worked, no one showed up. But in Central Oregon a whole different story of expectations of how many folks would arrive for the event.

I completely agree with this. I always think of Spinal Tap and the amp that goes to "11":) However, it's probably the case of an amp that goes to 20. Look at what's happing with Pandora at WDW and how it's popularity is still very high. I believe that's just a small sample of the madness to come. I have started referring to the SW land openings as Space Madness:)

The equivalent drive for us in Texas is the I35 day before Thanksgiving traffic. I have been stuck in that multiple times for hours on a drive that will already take 3-8 hours, depending upon where you are going:sad2:

Last edited:
Star Wars Day (May the 4th) will be on a Saturday in 2019. Saturdays are usually when these big grand openings for rides/lands occur. I could totally see them try and open it then.

But as others have said, it will be a year at least before we have any idea of the exact date.

My point in saying I am used to peak times is that the crowds at peak times in WDW are through the roof sometimes. Bumper to bumper strollers, 2 plus hr waits for transportation, park closure levels used.

So a new land that could potentially bring in larger crowds wouldn't bother me. For me when I can go is when I can go, I can't plan around slower times of yr, slower days of the week, and/or what events/rides/lands could be open.
Holidays like July 4th or Memorial Day, Memorial Day at Star Wars weekend too are considered "peak" crowd wise

So how do you think the opening of Star wars Land will affect the rest of the park and DCA? We are WDW vets but thinking about our first DLR trip in late Aug 2019. Honestly, even though we are star Wars fans that would not be the focus of the trip since we plan to do WDW in 2020 and can see it then.

And thanks @HydroGuy for all the tips for us WDW folks. DH and I each made several trips to Disneyland when we were kids but we have never taken the family. I want to make it work for 2019 but if it's going to be a disaster then we can wait! But now that I've started the research planning I don't want to wait, lol!

So how do you think the opening of Star wars Land will affect the rest of the park and DCA? We are WDW vets but thinking about our first DLR trip in late Aug 2019...

I think the general assumption is that SWL:GE is going to drive the crowds through the roof in both parks. Imagineers at D23 Expo were talking about plans for crowd control and trying to limit the number of guests entering the new land (although I don't know how they can make sure that enough guests exit to keep the crowd flow moving). So the overflow will have to go somewhere... and I would think there will be quite an overflow.
As for late August, be aware that, historically, that is when HM goes down for about 3 weeks for the installation of the Halloween overlay, the lower passholder blocks are lifted (and that does affect the increase in crowds), not all schools are back in session by then, and the annual CHOC Walk (a very big fundraiser) is now being held on the last Sunday in Aug. Also, last year DLR went back to the low season entertainment schedule by the last week of August (not waiting until after Labor Day, which caught many guests off guard) -- so there was no week day nighttime entertainment. And that meant that the weekend shows for fireworks, F!, and WOC were very crowded. If SWL:GE is already open by the end of August 2019, those crowds might make an already odd time more logistically complicated.

Last edited:
I think the general assumption is that SWL:GE is going to drive the crowds through the roof in both parks. Imagineers at D23 Expo were talking about plans for crowd control and trying to limit the number of guests entering the new land (although I don't know how they can make sure that enough guests exit to keep the crowd flow moving). So the overflow will have to go somewhere... and I would think there will be quite an overflow.
As for late August, be aware that historically, that is when HM goes down for about 3 weeks for the installation of the Halloween overlay, the lower passholder blocks are lifted (and that does affect the increase in crowds), not all schools are back in session by then, and the annual CHOC Walk (a very big fundraiser) is now being held on the last Sunday in Aug. Also, last year DLR went back to the low season entertainment schedule by the last week of August (not waiting until after Labor Day, which caught many guests off guard) -- so there was no week day nighttime entertainment. And that meant that the weekend shows for fireworks, F!, and WOC were very crowded. If SWL:GE is already open by the end of August 2019, those crowds might make an already odd time more logistically complicated.

Thank you! I have noticed August has become quite tricky. Hotel rates are better the 3rd week but like you mention that's when AP blockouts are lifted. Although with changes in the works for AP I am curious to see what happens there. So much waiting and watching to do!

So how do you think the opening of Star wars Land will affect the rest of the park and DCA? We are WDW vets but thinking about our first DLR trip in late Aug 2019.
Um.... yes. I would move your trip up if at all possible if you aren't that interested in SWL.

Um.... yes. I would move your trip up if at all possible if you aren't that interested in SWL.

It is definitely a tentative trip, more like a hopeful trip, but with baseball schedules, August is the best time to go. I am curious to see what kind of changes Disney makes to account for the crowds. Perhaps more EMH time for resort guests, things like that. I will wait and see!

It is definitely a tentative trip, more like a hopeful trip, but with baseball schedules, August is the best time to go. I am curious to see what kind of changes Disney makes to account for the crowds. Perhaps more EMH time for resort guests, things like that. I will wait and see!
There have been rumors of restricting access to SWL rides to only MaxPass users who have active FPs.

At WDW for the opening of Pandora they restricted access initially. They had one allowed entrance and one allowed exit. I would not be surprised to see DLR do something similar.

Things like this can be much worse at DLR than WDW because DLR has so many local passholders that are quire willing to dedicate an entire day just for one new thing. Nothing with passholders (I am one myself) but the ones who live local to DLR (I don't) can afford to have a lot more patience than folks who are there on vacation.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter