Losing interest in the main show

I think, If I were thinking critically, I agree with much of what I've read on this thread in terms of complaints, but I guess for me it doesn't really matter.

For me, the content is definitely interesting, but the main purpose of this podcast is to remind me of one of my favorite places, and allow me to think about it during the thick of a busy week and other stresses. Most importantly, it does this with people who are honest and funny, and who have a genuine love for what they do. I guess I like that DIS is a little rough around the edges because that's the cost of having people with authentic thoughts and interactions. It's a nice change of pace from some of the heavily edited, scripted, and sometimes sterile shows that often exist in the podcast world.

Sometimes I need a break from it, and if I do I just go to one of the dozen or so other podcasts I listen to for a few weeks. I definitely understand some of the complaints, but I guess for me my critical ear kind of goes away when I listen because it brings such positive feelings overall 🤷‍♂️

It seems many are equating housekeeping with the promotions for MC or Dreams. Housekeeping is one of my favorite segments. It's like catching up with what old friends are doing.

It always amazes me that people will listen to an online video that costs them nothing out of pocket and act as if it doesn't cost anything to produce. Content of this quality doesn't appear with pixie dust. I'm not saying all comments fall into this category but some need to remember that the promotions provide us with the content we enjoy.

Last edited:
I love the main show and look forward to it every week. I appreciate the work involved in doing it weekly. The format is one of the things that help you feel connections to many of the panelists. I miss Steve and Charles. Having said that I would add that Pete is the glue for me on the show. I like John, not as big as a fan of Craig. Deni is a real find. She would be a great host.

I agree that when news is slow both the news stories and rapid fire sections can be jettisoned or shortened...and please...there is no reason to read menu's, Disney public relations drivel and such word for word. It suffices to say they are offering special desserts for this and can be found here. If I'm interested I know where to find specifics.

Thanks though to Pete and his team for offering so many different ways to learn, immerse and enjoy Disney.

.there is no reason to read menu's
Generally I agree but have to point out that one of the funniest podcast hijacks was when Bob read from the Riks bar menu.... that's when I learned it is best not to drink liquids during the podcast, at least not if you value the item immediately in front of your head....

I've been listening from the beginning. (Years and years at this point, lol). I do not watch it, ever, but only listen to the podcasts. I have no time to actually sit and watch a video, and generally listen during my work commute. With that said, I also find myself skipping a lot more episodes than I used to. The content seems repetitive at times, and covers things I just don't care about. Also, I find I really enjoy the shows more that have Pete, John, Kevin, Corey Julie etc. I've been around a while and really haven't taken to many of the newer members. Don't get me wrong, I like them all, but it's a very different feeling show than it was a few years back.

So while I'm still out here and listening, it is not with the same regularity as previously.

The content seems repetitive at times, and covers things I just don't care about.
I think the first comment is part of the nature of the beast when you're doing a weekly show. There may not always be a ton of new things to talk about from week to week, or there may be very slight updates, or they are just giving reminders about the same things.

The second comment is obviously a personal matter and I think we all share that. I couldn't care less about DVC. I'm never going to buy in. I don't care to hear about it except to the extent that they talk about a new resort and what it has to offer the general public, like restaurants for example. But I totally understand why a show focused on WDW would include that content. I'm sure plenty of their listeners own DVC or are considering it.

It doesn't bother me at all when they promote their business or their other shows or sponsors. It's a business, they've gotta do what they've gotta do. It's all good. The one exception for me is when Kevin uses his rapid fire to promote a trip that only has 1 slot or something left. That's not appealing to the masses. Mentioning it is fine, but get that out of the way in housekeeping, then do something different in rapid fire.

What has been disappointing me lately is when someone else hosts the show for one reason or another. As much as I love John and Craig in their normal roles, the show goes off the rails when they fill in more often than not. And they even acknowledge from the start that things aren't going well. It gets tiring. That said, of course things come up and Pete deserves a break, so I don't blame him for missing, I just wish things were a bit smoother when he's out.

I’ve loved the show since 2008 when I first discovered Podcasts. I even went back and listened to all the old shows. I donate through Patreon (all though the shows on how to save for Disney has me looking at all of my extra expenses. 😉) as my “payment” for the entertainment. I look forward to the new episode on Wednesdays, I don’t usually watch the YouTube content.

Yes, the show has changed. But I’ve learned to go with it. I remember when Theresa and Kathy joined. I didn’t like that there were these new people changing the vibe. Now they are considered veteran members and I miss them when they are gone. As new members come and go, I give it time to get used to them. And sure enough, I do come to think of them as part of the team after some episodes. And I have to give Pete and John credit, they have done a good job of hiring people who bring something to the table, who aren’t just clones of themselves.

As for the ads, they don’t bother me much. The team puts their spin on them and they can entertaining. Every other podcast I listen to has ads.

I don’t think Rapidfire should be mandatory. Some of them are real stretches to fit in a Disney show. Making it optional would free up time for more discussion too.

The one thing I miss is Kevin and John’s restaurant reviews. Those were amazing.The only show I don’t subscribe to is the Dining show because I’m not a foodie and I’m trying to lose weight, so if they have done reviews there I have missed them. I wish they would review new TS restaurants on the main show.

I second/third/whatever the vote(s) is/are for Deni to host. I have full confidence that she can manage the ship with the perfect balance of fluidity and professionalism. She'll be ultra prepared and not scrambling for notes or a story/news-feed.

Give her a try and enjoy the dividends.

I listen to the main dis podcast and when I c it on my feed i get excited still to listen. like with any show or podcast you like some things, you fast forward, you don't like some other stuff, typical. If the OP finds himself looking at the newest show they put out for the week and not really wanting to hit the play button, like it's a chore, I would take a break and try out some other things. Maybe the op is changing and evolving to needing something different. You don't want to be bored with your entertainment for sure. I listen to many podcasts , all sorts of genres and they all have their ups and downs to them. the only times ive ever left one is when a voice just really irritates me personally , like the sound of the voice on the podcast, or if I find myself with very strong differing views that anger me majority of the time. So far I still listen and enjoy disunplugged podcast.

I second/third/whatever the vote(s) is/are for Deni to host. I have full confidence that she can manage the ship with the perfect balance of fluidity and professionalism. She'll be ultra prepared and not scrambling for notes or a story/news-feed.

Give her a try and enjoy the dividends.

Think about it. Is that what you really want? A plain ole show going through the paces? No thank you. Demi is talented no doubt. However, the show loses all appeal if she hosts. Why, cause she is too vanilla. Is that mean, maybe, but she knows this.

Think about it. Is that what you really want? A plain ole show going through the paces? No thank you. Demi is talented no doubt. However, the show loses all appeal if she hosts. Why, cause she is too vanilla. Is that mean, maybe, but she knows this.

I must admit, you are right. I rethought my position and proudly proclaim "this is what I really want ".

It would be too mechanic and not free flowing. Deni is a wonderful team member though, just wouldn’t work as host. Love Deni!

Last edited:
Can we go back a few years to where the team members were required to be in the parks regularly? I know Craig, Ryno, Fiasco, and Deni are there pretty often. It’s hard to comment on the news, new things, or ANYTHING if you haven’t seen it. Let’s talk about the mess that is Epcot, I think Kevin and John brought it up last week. I know Corey has been injured, but when’s the last time we heard Pete really comment about what he saw in the park recently. I want to see content about Disney from people who get to experience it. If you‘re not in the parks, I don’t want you to take up a seat at the table.
Roundtable needs a change up. I no longer need someone to pick a news article that went up 5 days ago on the site and read it to me. I get that info on Facebook, Twitter, and the DIS newsletter. Talk about something YOU know, or saw, or experienced.

This was an insightful critique, but I had to laugh at this part because... yes, yep, yeah. I absolutely agree, and it's weird that it's like this.
I fully agree with this but I will say that Craig gets weird when he hosts the WDW or the now defunct DL show. He tries on an announcer voice and seems uneasy, and awkward. Ryno is a more natural host and while not slick (thank goodness!) he’s relatable, warm and funny. Craig is also funny but needs more air time than being in the back allows. Let Fiasco handle that work with a new junior person now and let these two graduate to the big kid table! They work so hard and have great contributions when they get to share them. Plus these two deserve a bigger team to direct/manage to deliver the mass content they deliver!

This would let Pete focus on his other new projects and know this show is in good hands every week. Pete could guest host monthly - or when it works out.

And yes, I always book with DU to support y’all - so g’head & add more staff :)

Can we go back a few years to where the team members were required to be in the parks regularly? I know Craig, Ryno, Fiasco, and Deni are there pretty often. It’s hard to comment on the news, new things, or ANYTHING if you haven’t seen it. Let’s talk about the mess that is Epcot, I think Kevin and John brought it up last week. I know Corey has been injured, but when’s the last time we heard Pete really comment about what he saw in the park recently. I want to see content about Disney from people who get to experience it. If you‘re not in the parks, I don’t want you to take up a seat at the table.
Roundtable needs a change up. I no longer need someone to pick a news article that went up 5 days ago on the site and read it to me. I get that info on Facebook, Twitter, and the DIS newsletter. Talk about something YOU know, or saw, or experienced.

Disunplugged is my favorite Disney podcast. On a cold rainy day, having a new show to listen to can be a determining factor in whether I go for a run or not. As most people do, I have my preferences, but I appreciate all the contributors. I do agree with Willow about having feet on the ground more consistently. On the last episode, Craig something about waking up to cover rope drop is too early for him. I felt like that comment captured my main irritation. Maybe Craig doesn't need to cover a rope drop morning, but perhaps someone else can, especially at Hollywood Studios with all the craziness happening now and with MMRR opening soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter