Luggage Size For 9 Year Olds

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We are purchasing new luggage for our upcoming trip. We are flying and have triplet boys who are 9. We are looking into buying spinner luggage and are wondering what size would be appropriate for a 9 year old to be able to manage? We would prefer to get the hard-sided kind.

I would think the medium or small would be best-those sizes can vary depending on models though. You might also consider looking for ones labeled lightweight not only because that can help them out but helps out on weight restrictions from the airlines.

Probably what I would do is go to a place that sells luggage (Walmart, Marshalls, Target, etc whereever luggage is going to be sold with some varieties being sold) and have them test a few out. That way you can see what type works best for their heights, what feels good enough for them to take care of it on their own (speaking towards 2-wheeled, 4-wheeled, etc).

A 9 y/older should be able to handle the largest suitcase that will fit in an overhead bin which for most airlines is 22" x 14" x 9.

No idea which hard sides are made well since I'm still using the Tumi 2 wheeler that I purchased almost 2 decades back. Bought DGD a soft-sided spinner by Swiss Cross for about $39.99 two years back during a sale of discontinued colours; she just turned 13 and I anticipate she'll be able to take it to college with her.

Here's some general quality checks to use no matter what type you opt for:

Make sure the wheels are screwed in place instead of riveted so they can be replaced readily.
Look for a YKK metal zipper with 2 heads; they hold up much better than the all plastic zippers.
You want a handle with little to no wobble.

Remember that hard sided luggage is not good for "stuffing"; the shape is set.

HTH and happy travels!

ETA: DGD has a Swissgear NOT a Swiss Cross

Last edited:
A 9 y/older should be able to handle the largest suitcase that will fit in an overhead bin which for most airlines is 22" x 14" x 9.

No idea which hard sides are made well since I'm still using the Tumi 2 wheeler that I purchased almost 2 decades back. Bought DGD a soft-sided spinner by Swiss Cross for about $39.99 two years back during a sale of discontinued colours; she just turned 13 and I anticipate she'll be able to take it to college with her.

Here's some general quality checks to use no matter what type you opt for:

Make sure the wheels are screwed in placed instead of riveted so they can be replaced readily.
Look for a YKK metal zipper with 2 heads; they hold up much better than the all plastic zippers.
You want a handle with little to no wobble.

Remember that hard sided luggage is not good for "stuffing"; the shape is set.

HTH and happy travels!

Thank you! This is all helpful information. We honestly aren’t sure if we want to go high or low end. We want something to last, but I know it’s also not uncommon for luggage to get damaged when flying. All the points you made about the zipper and wheels make sense, but I’m not sure if I would have thought to check those—now I will!

We are purchasing new luggage for our upcoming trip. We are flying and have triplet boys who are 9. We are looking into buying spinner luggage and are wondering what size would be appropriate for a 9 year old to be able to manage? We would prefer to get the hard-sided kind.

I'd get the largest size that can be used as a carry-on bag. That way, with the sharing of space that's in all of your carry-on bags, you would rarely if ever have to check any bags when flying.

We got my now 12 yr old a carry-on size hard cover a few years ago from TJ Max. Pretty cheap since we weren’t looking for a set. A weeks worth of clothes still fit but will get tight as she approaches the teen years. Don’t think I’d go too high end because you only need it to last 4-5 yrs before they might outgrow it. Also see if you can find 3 different colors to make them their own.

I'd get the largest size that can be used as a carry-on bag. That way, with the sharing of space that's in all of your carry-on bags, you would rarely if ever have to check any bags when flying.

Thank you! We thought of this, but then realized that, for this trip, we made the mistake of buying tickets so basic we aren’t allowed carry ons—regretting that decision now.

Thank you! We thought of this, but then realized that, for this trip, we made the mistake of buying tickets so basic we aren’t allowed carry ons—regretting that decision now.
What kind of tickets are those? Will you even be allowed to sit together?

We got my now 12 yr old a carry-on size hard cover a few years ago from TJ Max. Pretty cheap since we weren’t looking for a set. A weeks worth of clothes still fit but will get tight as she approaches the teen years. Don’t think I’d go too high end because you only need it to last 4-5 yrs before they might outgrow it. Also see if you can find 3 different colors to make them their own.

We have been looking at TJ Max and I was also looking for 3 different colors. Our boys have each always had their own color. Two of them are identical and the different colors have always helped us differentiate their stuff. I seem to find two relatively inexpensive in the right colors but not the third. Their colors are red, blue and green. Here’s them as Huey, Dewey, and Louis one year for Halloween. I have noticed in a lot of reviews that it usually comes down to the wheels and zippers in terms of durability.

CC29666D-436E-493D-AA12-F85EAB8C0CBD.jpeg

What kind of tickets are those? Will you even be allowed to sit together?

They are for United — Basic Economy. It was a great deal, so we figured we could deal with paying a small fee for luggage and not reserving a seat in advance. We went Southwest in the past for a direct flight, but their prices have gone up. I’m sort of counting on no one wanting to sit with three unsupervised young triplet boys lol.

I’m sort of counting on no one wanting to sit with three unsupervised young triplet boys lol.
Yikes. When traveling as a family, you should always buy regular tickets so you can sit together.

A lot of travelers hate being pressured to give up their pre-selected & paid for seats for those who didn't plan ahead/pay extra, so tread lightly in your requests of other passengers.

Last edited:
Yikes. When traveling as a family, you should always buy regular tickets so you can sit together.

A lot of travelers hate being pressured to give up their pre-selected & paid for seats for those who didn't plan ahead/oay extra, so tread lightly in your requests of other passengers.

Oh, I guess I may have misunderstood. I thought it was sort of like a Southwest flight where no one gets to pick their seats. So, some will have a seat assigned already but there won’t be many seats that aren’t assigned? I may need to call the airline. I don’t think that will work well with for us all on the flight. They all have sensory issues.

Oh, I guess I may have misunderstood. I thought it was sort of like a Southwest flight where no one gets to pick their seats. So, some will have a seat assigned already but there won’t be many seats that aren’t assigned? I may need to call the airline. I don’t think that will work well with us all over the flight. They all have sensory issues.
Basic Economy is a relatively new, special discount category that doesn't allow seat assignments. It isn't regular economy, which does allow seat assignments. Yes, on all the legacy airlines (United, Delta, American), passengers traveling in regular economy or higher categories can select their seats.

These airlines really should restrict Basic Economy tickets to people over age 18, to keep families from making this mistake. I do recommend seeing if you could upgrade to regular economy & have assigned seating, rather than having to beg other passengers to move out of seating they chose/paid for, or have the flight attendant order them to move.

I’m sort of counting on no one wanting to sit with three unsupervised young triplet boys lol.
Did you really just say that? You're willing to let your kids sit next to complete strangers? Hey in a perfect world maybe I wouln't worry about it. If you read some of the reports out there this is very risky, as well as very rude. Worse yet you seem to be expecting somebody to give up their seat because you wanted to save a few bucks? :sad2:

A lot of travelers hate being pressured to give up their pre-selected & paid for seats for those who didn't plan ahead/oay extra, so tread lightly in your requests of other passengers.
Yes, Yes & Yes!

Worse yet you seem to be expecting somebody to give up their seat because you wanted to save a few bucks?
The OP just made a mistake. He/she apparently didn't realize that regular economy passengers on the legacy airlines do get to choose their seats, as the OP's previous flying experience was mostly with Southwest.

That's why the legacies need to rename Basic Economy "Restricted Economy", or something that makes it clear that these are special discount seats with restrictions that aren't appropriate for families. Or better yet, they should only allow booking of those seats for those 18 & older. The fact that they don't bother shows how little the airlines care about the flight experience of regular economy passengers, whose toes get stepped on by families who unintentionally bought Basic Economy tickets, then make them give up their pre-chosen seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter