Magic Key Renewals

With the announcement of MB+ at WDW on 7/28 (thinking that MB at DL will premiere shortly thereafter) and the lawsuit reservations availability issue it raises with people wanting to rush to DL to try them out, I sort of think they’re going to want to avoid renewals and the start of MB within a short time of each other. Whether they’ll delay MB start up or the renewal window is anyone’s guess. But delaying the renewal window could theoretically reduce the number of people in the parks since MKeys most likely wouldn’t buy day tix just to try out MBs.

With the announcement of MB+ at WDW on 7/28 (thinking that MB at DL will premiere shortly thereafter) and the lawsuit reservations availability issue it raises with people wanting to rush to DL to try them out, I sort of think they’re going to want to avoid renewals and the start of MB within a short time of each other. Whether they’ll delay MB start up or the renewal window is anyone’s guess. But delaying the renewal window could theoretically reduce the number of people in the parks since MKeys most likely wouldn’t buy day tix just to try out MBs.
They already said MB+ will not be coming to DL until "later this year."

Which probably means December.

Although the current language is definitely unclear, I don't think it specifically 'teases' holidays. 'Subject to availability' is 'subject to availability' period, it doesn't make any promises or 'guarantees' that availability will be either more or less at any specific time of the year. If a purchaser infers that there are or will be more availability for any level pass during any specific time of the year based on past programs, that's on them.

I disagree with this. A large portion of people bought the pass believing that if there were any reservations available at all, there would be reservations for Magic Keys. Disney never made it clear before people bought passes that availability for Magic Keys would be different from the fire department or COVID regulated availability. This is precisely the crux of the lawsuit and the claim that it is false advertising.

Even if Disney wins the lawsuit, I'd still say their handling of the entire situation is unethical. Telling the customer, "you're dumb because you didn't understand the hidden meaning in our misleading fine print" is not a very good way to run a business if they want customers to be happy and buy again.

The problematic word in the Dream Key language, according to the lawsuit, is CAPACITY. They are not arguing about the requirement to make a reservation. They are arguing that Disney said "reservations are required and subject to capacity." It was Disney's failure to clarify WHICH capacity they meant. The layman understands CAPACITY to mean physical space available (i.e. total guests allowed in per day), and the judge agreed with that.

Disney defined capacity differently depending on which ticket media you held, and THAT is the crux of the suit. They were not upfront ENOUGH in the fine print that there would be DIFFERENT CAPACITY definitions for Magic Key vs Day Ticket guests.

You can't just use a word in advertising that has a specific, commonly understood definition and basically redefine what it means to just YOUR customers. That's why this lawsuit is being filed under California's Consumer Protection Act. Their misuse of the term capacity is a violation of that law.

Last edited:
I have to believe that any pass that includes (theoretical) access any day of the year must include parking.

Parking is interesting because it’s incredibly expensive for frequent visitors. Someone who visits once per week and parks at the Disney lots would end up paying $1560 to park for the year. That’s more than the cost of the Dream Key. They are literally charging more for the parking lot than they are for the theme parks!

This is why I don’t see as much value in the “lower cost“ keys. I know a lot of people were excited that the Imagine Key was only $400. But It doesn’t include parking, so if you visit 13 times, you are paying double the cost. $400 for the parks and another $400 for parking! I get that this might work for people who don’t visit as much, or who have other arrangements for getting to the park, but it’s obviously something everyone needs to consider.

That only the Dream Key includes free parking, and the Believe has the 50% off deal, does make me nervous that at some point they might eliminate the parking benefit as a way to artificially increase the cost of the passes for the most frequent visitors. But if they do that, it would be a huge FU to that certain segment of visitors. That’s why I have to believe there’s always going to be a pass that includes parking. I spend a lot when I visit parks, I really don’t need to be gouged for another $30 every single visit!
This. We have an enchant key because we didn’t move back to OC until they’d already stopped selling the top two tier passes. We’d like to buy a dream pass for myself, since I take the kids the most, and then believe for my husband and two kids. We spend a freaking fortune in parking…. And it makes us feel like we need to stay for 9-14 hours to make the insane parking charge worth it. At Universal, we have a platinum pass which includes parking. So we show up in the morning and get a lot done before the crowds and leave, or arrive at 3 once we get express access. It’s a nicer experience.

The problematic word in the Dream Key language, according to the lawsuit, is CAPACITY. They are not arguing about the requirement to make a reservation. They are arguing that Disney said "reservations are required and subject to capacity." It was Disney's failure to clarify WHICH capacity they meant. The layman understands CAPACITY to mean physical space available (i.e. total guests allowed in per day), and the judge agreed with that.

Disney defined capacity differently depending on which ticket media you held, and THAT is the crux of the suit. They were not upfront ENOUGH in the fine print that there would be DIFFERENT CAPACITY definitions for Magic Key vs Day Ticket guests.

You can't just use a word in advertising that has a specific, commonly understood definition and basically redefine what it means to just YOUR customers. That's why this lawsuit is being filed under California's Consumer Protection Act. Their misuse of the term capacity is a violation of that law.

This exactly. In addition, “subject to capacity” was in the fine print for passes and tickets prior to COViD. And it meant you could be turned away at the gate if the parks were at capacity (meaning the maximum amount of people allowed by safety code were in the park), even if you had a pass that was valid for that day.

Disney changed their previously used and commonly accepted definition of capacity and didn’t tell anyone until AFTER they had purchased passes.

Wow, still nothing. We’ve been really weighing the decision to renew- the first time since 1996 I actually event contemplated it - but maybe the decision has already been made us if they don’t offer renewals. The park is special to us, it has nothing to do with money, it was my high school hangout, our after school treat, and I have thousands of sweet memories with my kids since they were babies. I’m that person giving random families directions or letting a family go ahead in line so they can ride in the front. We adore cast members and always give our appreciation, both directly to them and online/at city hall. We respect the rules and we spend handsomely on food and merchandise. We don’t walk around acting entitled to anything other than the space we are occupying on earth. 26 years straight (except for that dark year we shall not speak of 😫) without even a flinch of considering not renewing. Through price increases and changes and shrinking of benefits it’s still been our magic place.

This last year with the reservation situation has been frustrating, and I say that as a former Flex holder who had no problem with that system. The games they seem to be playing with availability, after paying over $650 times 4 people I just want to be treated the same in return - with respect. Be fair, be clear, be honest and don’t play games. I really feel like it has come to the point that Disney really doesn’t think passholders are of any value to the parks and they simply think they don’t need our dollars. Maybe they don’t. We moved out of state 5 years ago and since we have family in the area still, we still visit the parks frequently. We’ve seriously considered cutting our trips, and buying tickets at times that bring us joy, Christmas, Fall, birthdays, all times that are heavy with blackout dates or hard to get at all using the AP calendar. Times we’ve had to cut out or cut back and go other times just to get a reservation. But if we do that, we won’t be going crazy with shopping for merchandise, eating everything in sight, or booking extras, because the bite of the ticket purchase is fresh. When you pay for the AP once a year, it’s out of sight out of mind, doesn’t figure in our budget for every trip. We would definitely spend a lot less per year if we choose to purchase tickets instead.

We had the flex pass as well, and never had issues booking days. There were several times in summer 2019 we’d have two days booked, scan in, and immediately book a 3rd day. We have an enchant key now and hate it.

Yup, the word “capacity” is the crux of the lawsuit. Luckily, they’re not using emotional language and projecting personal issues in the complaint, it’s just the facts! I envision Disney settling with partial refunds or extension of passes, for those that are current.

Yup, the word “capacity” is the crux of the lawsuit. Luckily, they’re not using emotional language and projecting personal issues in the complaint, it’s just the facts! I envision Disney settling with partial refunds or extension of passes, for those that are current.
The case will not be settled prior to Aug 25 and likely won't come with any sort of pass extension, as many of the original Dream Key holders may not even renew. More likely, as an original Dream Key holder, we will be contacted and asked whether we want to opt in to a settlement, and then if we choose to, we will each get $1.50 or some similarly ridiculously small amount as our share of the settlement. I mean, the suit is for like $5M. Likely it will get settled for much less than that.

The case will not be settled prior to Aug 25 and likely won't come with any sort of pass extension, as many of the original Dream Key holders may not even renew. More likely, as an original Dream Key holder, we will be contacted and asked whether we want to opt in to a settlement, and then if we choose to, we will each get $1.50 or some similarly ridiculously small amount as our share of the settlement. I mean, the suit is for like $5M. Likely it will get settled for much less than that.

Oh that $5M figure is misleading, it is the bare minimum to be considered in federal court for this type of lawsuit.

Basically, the plaintiff claimed it was > $5M and compelled Disney to confirm, and they said “yep, it’s at least $5M” without disclosing the actual, true amount, which would have incidentally disclosed the number of dream key holders.

Yeah, this will be settled in late 2023-2024 to maximize the plaintiff’s legal costs and to drag it out. My guess is a $15-20 refund per passholder, or a 3 month extension of whatever pass that person holds.

The last settlement I was party to (it was about milk), they let me get $13 in an Amazon gift card. So fancy, these settlements are these days!

Oh that $5M figure is misleading, it is the bare minimum to be considered in federal court for this type of lawsuit.

Basically, the plaintiff claimed it was > $5M and compelled Disney to confirm, and they said “yep, it’s at least $5M” without disclosing the actual, true amount, which would have incidentally disclosed the number of dream key holders.

Yeah, this will be settled in late 2023-2024 to maximize the plaintiff’s legal costs and to drag it out. My guess is a $15-20 refund per passholder, or a 3 month extension of whatever pass that person holds.

The last settlement I was party to (it was about milk), they let me get $13 in an Amazon gift card. So fancy, these settlements are these days!
Yeah, but if you are the lead plaintiff in the class, you will usually get some additional consideration. So, while the other class members will get $5 (or whatever), you might get $5,000.

Of course, the lawyers will get all of their costs reimbursed, plus whatever legal fees they can justify. After all of that, the other class members split whatever crumbs remain.

This is probably being done on contingency. If Disney drags this out, the lawyers will just get more money in the end. They knew that when they agreed to take the case, and I'm sure they don't mind taking an even bigger slice of the pot.

They will have to announce something by august 25 when the people who bought and used their passes on day one expire.
I mean they don’t -have- to. They could leave us in the lurch for who knows how long. Buuuuuuuut yes it’s likely they’ll announce something before those expire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter