Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
That photo can be misleading. It is obviously still at the airport and the photographer could be the first guests on. In September, there were 10 groups on our bus, in November-a few more seats were filled than in September. But, on the way back in November, the DME had almost every seat filled with only one row separating parties.

We have only been to WDW 25 or so times since 2012. We have used DME every trip but two-we drove from Louisiana the first trip and this past December. My husband likes the DME and thinks that his vacation starts as soon as he gets on the bus. BUT- we usually are the last drop offs and that can eat into your vacation time. I miss them delivering our bags to the resort, but it was not a big deal getting them. If they would just bring back the Airline check in and take my bags TO THE AIRPORT so that I don't have to do that then I would be fine with that.

I can certainly understand those who bring small children really relying on DME. I saw one woman with 3 children under 10 on our last trip. She needed help with her bags-DH helped but she still had a backpack on her back, one on her stomach and a large suitcase-AND 3 excited children :)
I've seen a lot of people saying that during COVID their rides to property had a lot of empty seats and that people were jammed on to the buses on the way back to the airport.

I've seen a lot of people saying that during COVID their rides to property had a lot of empty seats and that people were jammed on to the buses on the way back to the airport.

Obviously this is just anecdotal, but last February we landed around 11:00am on a Friday and there were only 2 other small families on our bus to BLT. They both got off at Wilderness Lodge. On our way back to the airport there was just one other couple besides our family of 4. Both buses mostly empty both ways, pre-covid. It was the emptiest we ever saw DME after taking it dozens of times. Thinking back on other DME trips we took in the last 5 years, it does seem like ridership was declining pre-covid.

Last edited:

I am confused. Are you saying that there was no one on the bus? This photo doesn't do that. This is a parked MDE bus. Having said that, I have not yet gone to WDW during the pandemic. We are going in early June. I will be interested in the MDE experience then. We go to WDW just about every year. I do not think I have ever gotten in line for my resort and gotten to ride on the first bus to our resort. We have gone during all times of year.
The great thing about Disney is that it is a business. It therefore should act to do things that will positively affect the bottom line. If it feels that it needs to contract its resort perks, people are free to stay elsewhere or avoid WDW altogether. This will either be a good or necessary business decision or it will not. If it is not, Disney will learn and adjust. People should just do a personal cost benefit analysis and decide accordingly. I think old farts like me who were socialized with the Mickey Mouse Club, Davy Crocket, Zorro, and the WWoD, have almost come to think of Disney as part of the family. "How could Disney do this to us?" It is like Mom and Dad have let us down. Disney is getting close to a century of working on this image and the good will it engenders. I hope they do not forget this.

You keep missing this... I dont think anyone feels they are required to provide the service, just that prices should be adjusted for the services no longer provided.
Yeah, I guess I am confused at what you are saying. My apologies. So DME is the "service no longer provided" starting in 2022. I get that part. I am confused on the "prices should be adjusted" part. You keep saying that as if Disney will not be adjusting the fees. DVC is required to adjust their maintenance fees to accurately reflect actual costs, so DME will be taken out of those fees. Check. And I find it hard to believe Disney will not adjust the resort fees for non DVC guests. Unless you have seen something that states those DME fees will remain in the resort fees starting in 2022. So I don't disagree that "prices should be adjusted for the services no longer provided"...I am just failing to see why you think that won't happen (if that's what you think).

And I understand your restaurant example. Yes, WDW restaurants are more expensive than restaurants with similar quality off-site. That's not breaking news. But this is a thread about the DME being terminated and the reasons for that decision (which is how off site dining came into this discussion). I completely understand why people would go offsite for dining, per your example. I personally have zero issue with anyone who wants to go off site for dining. Zero. But then don't condemn Disney for eliminating the DME, because people going off-site has a lot to do with precisely why they eliminated DME. People can't have their cake and eat it too, as the saying goes.

Some people said in the main COVID rumors and news thread that Disney was paying Mears a flat fee and that is a big part of why they're discontinuing DME. The same poster said that ridership had steadily declined over the last decade and then fell off a cliff with COVID (for obvious reasons). If this is correct, it makes a lot of sense for Disney to get rid of a service that is being used less and less.
Aha. Thank you. That's what I had heard, but I wasn't sure. Then that makes a lot of sense as to why Disney would cancel the DME. Between natural ridership decline over the years and then COVID wiping out guests staying on property in 2020/2021, it was a no brainer for Disney. Especially with the rise of the ride shares making it easy to get off property. I don't blame Disney at all. It is what it is. It stinks for those that utilized it on every trip, but sometime business decisions stink. That doesn't mean those decision shouldn't be made, though.

That photo can be misleading. It is obviously still at the airport and the photographer could be the first guests on.
I cropped the photo for privacy, but what's important is what was reported: She was alone on the bus as it brought her from the airport to her hotel. And she's not the only one posting reports of having DME buses to themselves.

If that was this morning and it was posted here before 9:30am, I'd say it's at least partly due to being so early in the day.
And so Mears can look at the historical data of how many passengers were on the buses at various times during the day, and put together a schedule that will eliminate runs that aren't profitable.

The left side shows another bus still parked at the airport and the building, and the right side shows the trees along the roadside. I assume this is a picture of a bus that is moving having just left MCO. One would think with fewer passengers Mears would consolidate into fewer busses and just make more resorts stops. Unless there were no other passengers (which would be odd). It also could be they know there are a lot of folks that need to get on DME waiting at the resorts already so the bus needs to get to WDW to pick them up so they can get to MCO. We'll never know.

Last edited:
The left side shows another bus still parked at the airport and the building, and the right side shows the trees along the roadside. I assume this is a picture of a bus that is moving having just left MCO. One would think with fewer passengers Mears would consolidate into fewer busses and just make more resorts stops. Unless there were no other passengers (which would be odd). It also could be they know there are a lot of folks that need to get on MDE waiting at the resorts already so the bus needs to get to WDW to pick them up so they can get to MCO. We'll never know.

I was confused because I'm struggling with how all of that is being pulled from this picture but you're definitely right about one thing - we'll never know.

What does that mean? I don't understand the point being made. It's a picture of an empty bus. Is this irresponsible?
Yes. Operating resources practically empty because of a schedule that is not crafted based on a reliable source of demand is irresponsible. Airlines and trains and buses look at historical usage patterns and remove service that is underutilized so that most of their flights/trains/buses are as close to full as possible.

When like before covid, The ME was always crowded, there was lines at MCO. To get on. I assume it would return. Back to that at some point. Really don’t know when people will be comfortable traving.
If you need Covid testing 72 hr before your flight that Could be a problem.. taking a better part of a day to be tested. If you fail you are stuck for 10 days

Yes. Operating resources practically empty because of a schedule that is not crafted based on a reliable source of demand is irresponsible. Airlines and trains and buses look at historical usage patterns and remove service that is underutilized so that most of their flights/trains/buses are as close to full as possible.

but the demand isn't permanently changed.
i feel it's more irresponsible to make a short sighted business decision based on data that skews because of an unprecedented pandemic.

Lol WHAT? This seems absurd to me. What's next, elimination of the WDW bus transportation system altogether? They can also justify that one "as consumer needs and preferences change...."

Yeah, my need of getting from the airport to my resort hasn't changed.

I just don't understand their logic and canned messaging.

Sorry, I may have missed it as I have only read about 20 of the pages here but going back to renting a car or driving down to Orlando, how much is parking now at the resorts, $15-20 a night. So my 7-10 day vacation each year just increased by a couple hundred? So this goes back to Uber/Lyft as the main go to form of transportation? Will everyone in central Florida get a second job now with these company’s? Charlie

but the demand isn't permanently changed.
i feel it's more irresponsible to make a short sighted business decision based on data that skews because of an unprecedented pandemic.

People have reported that overall DME ridership was lower even prior to covid.

We also don’t know that they aren’t coming up with something that is more efficient that they will charge for. Just because they said that there won’t be DME doesn’t mean they won’t announce something else for 2022 at some point in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter