Magical Holidays discount not magical:(

Yes, if only people would wake up and realize booking without a discount is back firing on them.

I will not pay the over inflated rack rate, so if I'm unable to get a discount I'll be booking in the Disney Springs hotel area. There are some very nice hotels there for a fraction of WDW pricing. I signed up for mousesavers newsletter and I get emails for their Hot Deals. The new Hilton Buenavista Palace ? just opened up. It looks very nice and has a lazy river. Deluxe resort for less than a moderate. And just across the street from Marketplace. It doesn't feel like your off site, you are still in WDW. These hotels have bus service every 30 min. Not bad.
Mousesavers just released a discount code for Doubletree that includes free breakfast and room discount for the same price or less than a WDW value resort. And you get a huge one bedroom suite.

I don't know where off site you booked, but this area is worth looking into. It's not really off site, most hotels are within walking distance to Disney Springs, and some of the hotels offer theme park views so you still feel in the bubble. They aren't out in the real world!
My husband & I were looking at that Hilton for our spring trip! I booked at the Clarion Inn, because it's really cheap but better than like, an america's best value inn. When it's just me I have a hard time splurging on my resort unless it's really special.

My husband & I were looking at that Hilton for our spring trip! I booked at the Clarion Inn, because it's really cheap but better than like, an america's best value inn. When it's just me I have a hard time splurging on my resort unless it's really special.

I don't know when you're going but I used mousesavers link for Disney Springs Best Western for late August date & got $81.59/night. This includes their full American breakfast buffet. I believe there is a $14 resort fee.
This was just on the Mousesavers web site. If you sign up for the newsletter the deals are usually even better.
The Disney Springs Double tree is $104 and free breakfast buffet. I had this, it's good. No resort fee.

Another Disney Springs resort they freq have discount for is B Resort.

I don't know how these compare to clarion, but a cost savings is you won't need a car staying in the Disney Springs Resort area because the bus service is very good. So don't have to pay for rental. And gas. And you'll still feel like you're in the WDW bubble!
My friend just got back last month and said the roads were a mess due to all the construction and busses were taking detours.

It's worth signing up for email deals. Often aside from everything else they can include waived or minimal resort fee and free parking if you have a car.

I book what I'm comfortable paying and where I want and if a discount comes out that lets me upgrade then great if not no harm done I was happy to begin with! That is the way to do it if you need a set time or place (which I did traveling with 5 adults who needed to do time off requests and book flights). The hardest part of these new discounts is dealing with the micro control of inventory Disney (as well as 90% of hotel chains) have gone to. You get penalized for room selection if you just want the weekend or 3-4 days in the week. A room shows available for a 7 day trip but same check in and only 3 or 4 and poof there goes the availability. So frustrating. I get they want to opperate at capacity but it still seems silly.

I don't know when you're going but I used mousesavers link for Disney Springs Best Western for late August date & got $81.59/night. This includes their full American breakfast buffet. I believe there is a $14 resort fee.
This was just on the Mousesavers web site. If you sign up for the newsletter the deals are usually even better.
The Disney Springs Double tree is $104 and free breakfast buffet. I had this, it's good. No resort fee.

Another Disney Springs resort they freq have discount for is B Resort.

I don't know how these compare to clarion, but a cost savings is you won't need a car staying in the Disney Springs Resort area because the bus service is very good. So don't have to pay for rental. And gas. And you'll still feel like you're in the WDW bubble!
My friend just got back last month and said the roads were a mess due to all the construction and busses were taking detours.

It's worth signing up for email deals. Often aside from everything else they can include waived or minimal resort fee and free parking if you have a car.
I get the emails and did consider those! But undercover tourist had a deal for this hotel for $46/night (normally about $80/night) and I've stayed there before so I know it's safe, hahaha. I still might switch but since it's for a trip in December, I don't care as much about the pool (which is normally my biggest factor when picking a hotel). I'm still going to keep checking and hopefully something pops up!

Th problem with waiting for discounts is that you may not be able to book anything, at all, at the resort of your choice.

Personally, I book whatever I'm happy with and then if discounts come out later, I look at it as a treat. I've already got a standard room booked at AKL for October 2018. I'd be shocked if any of this type of room remain by the time discounts are announced next summer (if there are any discounts).

This is my strategy. If I am not going to go without a discount, I do not book a room. If I am going regardless the discounts and my dates are pretty much set in stone I book where I will stay. If a discount pops up and I can move my reservation to a discounted room I do.

My family is going DEcember 2018 and have pretty much settled on our dates and resort. Once that happens, I will book.

I get the emails and did consider those! But undercover tourist had a deal for this hotel for $46/night (normally about $80/night) and I've stayed there before so I know it's safe, hahaha. I still might switch but since it's for a trip in December, I don't care as much about the pool (which is normally my biggest factor when picking a hotel). I'm still going to keep checking and hopefully something pops up!
I hope you have a great trip! We are going this Nov/Dec, my first time seeing the WDW Christmas decorations. Also first time staying at Pop for more than just a night! WDW room prices are getting ridiculous. If I get priced out of WDW resorts, I'll be looking at the Disney Springs. For me, at least I'll still feel like I'm in WDW, can take an afternoon break, and won't need to rent a car. We all have our needs, lol!

I hope you have a great trip! We are going this Nov/Dec, my first time seeing the WDW Christmas decorations. Also first time staying at Pop for more than just a night! WDW room prices are getting ridiculous. If I get priced out of WDW resorts, I'll be looking at the Disney Springs. For me, at least I'll still feel like I'm in WDW, can take an afternoon break, and won't need to rent a car. We all have our needs, lol!
Christmas at Disney is my favorite. It started by accident (a friend cancelled on me) but now it's my personal tradition to do a solo trip for Christmas! You should look into a candlelight processional dinner package if you haven't already!

Christmas is the most magical time of year for me. I hope that you enjoy all of the festivities that are going on that that the onsite convenience gives you the opportunity to relax and take in some of the sights and sounds you may have missed on other trips.

For our October trip I was originally going to book Beach Club at a price about $150+ per night higher than I wanted to spend and wait for the fall discount. But I worried since we were going near Halloween and a race weekend that what would happen if no discount came if the resort was booked. Then I saw Wilderness Lodge was over $100 per night less for the same "view category" and then just decided to go that route and book it at rack rate and wait and see what fall discounts came for other deluxe resorts. But there's nada now. So I'm glad I kind of scaled back to begin with and now am actually super happy with my choice seeing the new renovations at WL. I just had this weird gut feeling.

Has anyone else noticed that if you look for the same time frame with the discount no rooms available but without the discount the room is available at full rack rate... which makes me think they feel like they can get people to pay rack rate and not offer the discount.

EX: Dec 2-9- discount search comes up with minimal deluxe rooms that are villas or suites and you wouldn't be paying for these
Dec 2-9- no discount search comes up with every category and every resort being available ( with a few exceptions).

If they have rooms and they aren't sold why not offer the discount at this point?

Has anyone else noticed that if you look for the same time frame with the discount no rooms available but without the discount the room is available at full rack rate... which makes me think they feel like they can get people to pay rack rate and not offer the discount.

EX: Dec 2-9- discount search comes up with minimal deluxe rooms that are villas or suites and you wouldn't be paying for these
Dec 2-9- no discount search comes up with every category and every resort being available ( with a few exceptions).

If they have rooms and they aren't sold why not offer the discount at this point?

It's because Disney believes they can sell the rooms at rack between now and December. What we don't see, and what Disney can, is the number of rooms remaining. Let's say a hotel has 800 rooms of a certain class available. Out of those 800 rooms, say 600 are booked up. Disney has no idea how many of those 600 rooms are people waiting to pounce on a deal. All they see is that there's only 200 rooms left, and 5 months to book them. At 40 rooms a month, a little more than 1 a day, there's very little reason for Disney to offer any discounts.

Now say 100 of them were for people who were waiting for room discounts, and, like what's happening with POFQ, there's nothing around. Some may go "eh, I'll stay, anyway." Others will cancel. Now there's, say, 250 rooms. It's a little harder to get to total fill, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Now say 300 of them, instead, were for people who were waiting for room discounts. Also like POFQ, there's nothing around. After the people who really couldn't afford to go cancel, now there's 400 rooms. Well, heck, the resort is now half-empty! Either they will call for another sale, or see if some of those people will come crawling back.

The point is, if the resort is mostly full, but not totally booked, Disney will sell the room, but offer no discount. This is why so many people who book anticipating the discounts is such a horrible idea. Disney sees the resorts mostly full, and go, "why should we offer anything? We're making monies!"

One thing I will fully agree with Dreams Unlimited on: book the vacation you can afford without any discounts, and think of anything coming back as gravy on top. Don't try to book a Disney vacation banking on discounts to make your budget.

Edit: added some quotation marks.

Last edited:
Got a unique offer code in the mail today. I was SO excited! Until I called, and all 7 of my date options were totally unavailable (except for one, I could book a pirate room at CBR for $260/night). I was so sad.

Every resort has a target occupancy rate, say 85% for example (I have no idea what it actually is). If they are at that target rate they will not include any of their rooms in the promotion. So the remaining 15% of rooms will remain at the rack rate. It's how they have always run their promotions.

Got a unique offer code in the mail today. I was SO excited! Until I called, and all 7 of my date options were totally unavailable (except for one, I could book a pirate room at CBR for $260/night). I was so sad.
Yes I have been checking the same thing and we are very flexible with my dates, like I can go anytime and we want to stay at the BWI. With the exception of the Garden suites there is not single room available in the entire three months that the offer is for. Have to wonder why they offer it?

Yes I have been checking the same thing and we are very flexible with my dates, like I can go anytime and we want to stay at the BWI. With the exception of the Garden suites there is not single room available in the entire three months that the offer is for. Have to wonder why they offer it?

To try and fill the hard to sell rooms, like the Garden Suites.

The thing the frustrates me is that for my dates I could see discounts on the website for every day.

Like I could get a discounted room from Nov 25 to Dec 1, but once I added in Dec 2, it was now unavailable. Yet If you looked at just Dec 1 to Dec 2 there was a discounted room available. It just makes to sense that I couldn't get that discount. But that is Disney for ya. Hopefully an AP discount comes out that I can actually use.

Christmas is the most magical time of year for me. I hope that you enjoy all of the festivities that are going on that that the onsite convenience gives you the opportunity to relax and take in some of the sights and sounds you may have missed on other trips.
Thank you so much! Really looking forward to it. In past trips I've been able to see some of the earlier Halloween decorations they start putting up around Labour Day, so Christmas decorations should be amazing.

Awww, that's so disappointing :(

Thank you so much! Really looking forward to it. In past trips I've been able to see some of the earlier Halloween decorations they start putting up around Labour Day, so Christmas decorations should be amazing.

Christmas is so pretty! We always have a "focus" for our trips, and so if we travel during the Holidays we focus on the events, shows and decorations that are unique to Christmas and and the Holiday season. The trip seems to be a little more laid back because we resort hop, stroll through Epcot and stop to enjoy the lovely decorations throughout the WS, as well as the Storytellers. We also try to see the CP each trip, although in my family this is entirely for me. There is a Holiday layover for Illuminations that we never miss. It is really nice. In FW there is often entertainment for he Holiday as well.

One thing we always try to fit in is a TS meal at Narcoossees timed to see Holiday Wishes. Between the resorts, all of the MK special decorations and Castle Lighting (and my personal favorite The Jingle Cruise) and the few things DHS still has in terms of Holidays, it is gorgeous. Each park is worth a visit just for the tree. You are going to have so much fun!

Christmas is so pretty! We always have a "focus" for our trips, and so if we travel during the Holidays we focus on the events, shows and decorations that are unique to Christmas and and the Holiday season. The trip seems to be a little more laid back because we resort hop, stroll through Epcot and stop to enjoy the lovely decorations throughout the WS, as well as the Storytellers. We also try to see the CP each trip, although in my family this is entirely for me. There is a Holiday layover for Illuminations that we never miss. It is really nice. In FW there is often entertainment for he Holiday as well.

One thing we always try to fit in is a TS meal at Narcoossees timed to see Holiday Wishes. Between the resorts, all of the MK special decorations and Castle Lighting (and my personal favorite The Jingle Cruise) and the few things DHS still has in terms of Holidays, it is gorgeous. Each park is worth a visit just for the tree. You are going to have so much fun!
We are planning to resort hop for decorations! My must do's are WL, FW sleigh ride?, GF, & YC/BC. I didn't know about holiday Illuminations! I wanted to do CP, but my travel buddy doesn't lol.

We are planning to resort hop for decorations! My must do's are WL, FW sleigh ride?, GF, & YC/BC. I didn't know about holiday Illuminations! I wanted to do CP, but my travel buddy doesn't lol.

My family is not fans either. I have done the package and I have chosen to just find a spot and enjoy it from outside of the theater. I am not willing to stand in the standby line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter