Magical Miles to the Marathon! Comments welcomed

Training for a marathon is such an emotional rollercoaster. Some days it like “I’m doing awesome,I’m going to crush this marathon! And the next being like, I can barely run 6 miles how am I going to go another 20!?” Right now, I can’t believe that marathon weekend is so close!

My half went well, it was much cooler than my last and I finished is 2:25.05! which is an over 35 PR for me. It was a larger race than my last few and it is so much nicer to be actually running around others. It had almost 1200 finishers, the last couple I have down only had like 125 Ish, and I spent most of those running alone.

I didn’t get into Chicago. I am thinking about running the Athens marathon. I have never been to Greece. Anyone want to join me? If I don’t do that I will try for Disneyland races.

Once marathon weekend has passed, I think will focus on losing weight and maybe training for a 10K. I haven’t raced that distance much; I think maybe 2 times? I did lose a bit of weight but have put some of it back on during marathon training. Though fueling more has really made the long runs feel easier and recover from more quickly.

I haven't found much this week, but did fine 52 cents. I did see several uneaten gu, huma, ucan gels on the race, but it is hard to stop with people around you and I would feel a little strange about it. I hope those runners had other gels!

My half went well, it was much cooler than my last and I finished is 2:25.05! which is an over 35 PR for me. It was a larger race than my last few and it is so much nicer to be actually running around others. It had almost 1200 finishers, the last couple I have down only had like 125 Ish, and I spent most of those running alone.
That's awesome. Congrats!!

SO, I have been too embarrassed to try out my costumes while running. I don’t have a treadmill. I’d like to think that if I lived in a town where I didn’t know everyone, I would be brave and run proudly in it. One is a very bright green Tinkerbell, and the other is a very shiny Merida. I am going to make myself finally do it this weekend. Logically I know no one else really cares what I wear, and I already wear obnoxiously bright colors as I run along highways and want to be seen so as not to be hit. Also, I got a sample back of maurtans I will try out one of the gels on this run to see if I want to take them on the trip. I found what works best for me is a variety of fuels, instead of just one. And I don’t like the sports bean they have gave last year. Currently I am rotating thru crank’s egel, gu roctane, and wallabys (it’s a licorice) candy.

I am excited and nervous about this trip. Last year I was terrified, (it was my first marathon) so an improvement. I have booked Tiffins after the marathon for hopefully what will be a celebration of finishing.

I haven’t found much recently though a surprising amount of change- 79 cents. And this a fancy serving spoon! I see silverware quite a bit, but this was a first.

rlm7s5zo.png

Here is one of my monsters, who is living my dream life, in a fuzzy donut and the other warming themself in front of the heat dish.

IMG_20231226_103913144.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some of you this weekend!

ETA: I got two of the discounted gift cards from Costco for this weekend and find it terribly annoying you can't add them to your MagicBand directly but have to stop by the front desk to pay off your account after the fact, if i understand the procedure.

Last edited:

ETA: I got two of the discounted gift cards from Costco for this weekend and find it terribly annoying you can't add them to your MagicBand directly but have to stop by the front desk to pay off your account after the fact, if i understand the procedure.
You can also have them scan the barcode off your phone at the POS rather than charging to your magicband.

I used mine as payment at the front desk last trip and the CM with the iPad roaming the lobby can actually do it in less than a minute.

You can also have them scan the barcode off your phone at the POS rather than charging to your magicband.

I used mine as payment at the front desk last trip and the CM with the iPad roaming the lobby can actually do it in less than a minute.
I really like using the magic band, phones are so less magical :)

Well I am getting quite nervous. I love to travel, but I hate the actual travelling part. I hate driving on interstates and dislike flying. I’m flying out of El paso which is a nice small airport. The drive to the airport is like three and half hours and most of the trip it shouldn’t be very crowed until closer to el paso.

I’m so glad I did wear my costumes on my training runs. I really like the Merida costume, but I don’t think I can wear it for more than a 10k at most. Too many sequins were rubbing me in the wrong place, even +with body glide. I don’t want to worry about that during the marathon. I think I will just wear a Minnie inspired outfit now, regular-ish running clothes. I will need to register for shorter races to wear my Merida costume. Also, if it is only a 5 or 10k maybe I could carry a fake bow. For Tinkerbell it was ok, but I am not sure if it is raining if I want to wear it. The skirt would be annoying if it is wet. So it will be a game time decision on that one.

I tried martens and it is weird. It both doesn’t have a taste and does have one. It was cold when I took it, but the texture was odd like gel I had to kind of chew. But it seemed to give me energy, so I will take some for races.

I found a whole dollar this week and another wrench.

I can’t wait to be in Disney world!!!

I see silverware quite a bit, but this was a first.
I need to know more about this. Plasticware, sure. Silverware, never.
found a whole dollar this week and another wrench.
I'm running in the wrong places!
Well I am getting quite nervous. I love to travel, but I hate the actual travelling part.
I am a nervous traveler too, but keep the end in mind and it's all worth it!

Good luck!

Am I the only one who wants to cry at their desk at work today? Back to the real world is no fun. I finally would have had a nice running through the castle picture (other races I had been covered by other runners) but apparently saw a squirrel. But I did get a proper one! I will write more of my race later. Now I have to deal with the giant piles of work I came back to.

Attachments

• 2024-01-07 - runDisney Walt Disney World - Rundisney_3.jpeg
    2024-01-07 - runDisney Walt Disney World - Rundisney_3.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 17
  • me castle.jpg
    me castle.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Am I the only one who wants to cry at their desk at work today? Back to the real world is no fun. I finally would have had a nice running through the castle picture (other races I had been covered by other runners) but apparently saw a squirrel. But I did get a proper one! I will write more of my race later. Now I have to deal with the giant piles of work I came back to.
My husband keeps sending me memes that are like "Let's skip Monday and go to Disney" and it's just like.....for a guy who said he might want to take a year off you are not helping your cause right now. Re-entry to real life stinks.

My Best Marathon ever! -Part one

Granted it was only my second, but still. My moving time was really close to what was predicted by recent half(2:25), at 5:37 by one of the online calculators.

This trip I had a terrible time sleeping. Even though I tried to go to bed like at 7:30 with a wake up at 2:30 which in theory would be a solid 7 hours, I mostly tossed and turned. I tried to convince myself that just laying quietly would bestow rest, but alas when awoke my Garmin gave me a battery of 15. I didn’t even take a picture of my flat lay. In fact, I did a horrible job taking any pictures this whole trip. I got up got dressed, ate a banana and a protein cookie. Brought graham crackers to eat in the corral and packed my little Nathan water bottle backpack full to the brim with fuel on the course. For this training season, I really upped how much fuel I ate before/during/after runs. It really did make a world of difference. It was hard to do at first, because I began running to lose weight and it felt contrary to eat back calories. Now I eat something roughly every 45 minutes (tried to time them with water stops) I rotated through Maurten 100, e gels, and gu roctane.
The wait in the corral went pretty fast I felt, and I loved the dapper dans singing the national anthem.
I decided to not stop for photos until after the castle, Last year I got so hot and even though it wasn’t supposed to be very hot this year I wanted to try and get lots of dark miles in. And you can never tell with Florida weather as we all know. I tend to just zone out during running and nothing much of interest happened to me. I was pleased that it wasn’t nearly as crowded as the half of the half. I love running down main street and am so thankful for all of the supporters.

main street.jpeg

I think I counted 4 uneaten gu-s etc. by this point. My little scavenger heart wants to stop and pick them up so badly, but its hard to stop at a dime’s notice with people around you. Not like my training runs. My first photo stop was Tiana and Louie.
2024-01-07 -tiana 2.jpg
I am so excited for the new Tiana ride right before the castle. After the castle is for me when it started to rain, at first a little then a lot. I was sad as I passed the set up for Rapunzel, and was regretting my skipping of all the stops if it didn’t stop raining. I did see jogging jack sparrow during the rain and am so impressed that he runs all that way with his costume. It must be so heavy wet. I was very pleased I wore a visor.

dapper dans singing the national anthem
This sounds awesome! I think I'd be tearing up a little bit 😿
This trip I had a terrible time sleeping. Even though I tried to go to bed like at 7:30 with a wake up at 2:30 which in theory would be a solid 7 hours, I mostly tossed and turned.
This would be me too. Like a kid before Christmas o_O
I think I counted 4 uneaten gu-s etc. by this point. My little scavenger heart wants to stop and pick them up so badly, but its hard to stop at a dime’s notice with people around you
🤣

Great recap and pics!

Part 2

During the downpour, I remember thinking how if this was a non Disney race, would I still be running? I normally avoid ever running in the rain. And then, because I am a worrier, would my super cheap headphones hold up to the rain? What about my cell phone, which I normally have in a rain proof pocket of my camel bak thing, or at least a ziplock. My feet were completed soaked of course so at least I didn’t feel compelled to avoid puddles and ran straight thru. I was so annoyed by the riddles not having answers and at the very last one noticed the answer was on the back. (I did complain about this on the survey-if I hadn’t been looking for a distraction from the rain I may not have cared as much). It rained pretty hard for a bit, but at least I wasn’t cold (or Hot!) and then it slowly started to lighten up. Nothing of course happened to my electronics. Then a Character was back on the course! I stopped for Vanellope.
van marathon.jpg

I also stopped for Doc Mcstuffins, just because the line was short, and my goal was to stop for at least ten characters. Not too much later was Doug! I love the movie UP so much and those shorts on Disney+.
Doug.jpg

Finally, I was close to the Next park animal kingdom. I never look at course maps as much as I should, and it felt long from Magic kingdom to this one. The animals were not out when I went by, but some cast members were cheering. A goal for next year is a selfie with the tortoise if they are out. Then I saw one of the brothers from Onward and got character number 5! Halfway to my goal. Finally in Animal Kingdom, and Everest. I almost chickened out, but they were letting runners in the lightening lane when I was there, and I made myself do it. I’m glad I did but am definitely feeling my age when it comes to roller coasters in general.

Expedition everest  legend of the forbidden mountain.jpg

Back on the course, I ran by the tree and regretted not stopping for a photo. I don’t think I saw photopass people there? Another goal for next year is to get a photo at each emblem of the parks.

I love your photo with Dug! I wish I could have stopped for his photo but it was raining when I went by and he was nowhere to be seen.

They usually have a photog for an Everest photo but I’ve never seen one for the tree. I like your goal of a photo with each park icon! I did that in 2018 but haven’t done it since. Maybe next year.

Back on the course, I ran by the tree and regretted not stopping for a photo. I don’t think I saw photopass people there? Another goal for next year is to get a photo at each emblem of the parks.

They usually have a photog for an Everest photo but I’ve never seen one for the tree. I like your goal of a photo with each park icon! I did that in 2018 but haven’t done it since. Maybe next year.

When I went by, there was a PhotoPass photographer at that Everest photo op, but none in front of the tree either. I figured that where the photo op for the backside of the tree could be would crowd the running path?

I love your photo with Dug! I wish I could have stopped for his photo but it was raining when I went by and he was nowhere to be seen.

He just came out as I went by, and few people who were exciting animal kingdom, crossed back over the course to get a pic with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter