Magical Miles to the Marathon! Comments welcomed

Well, my Dad is doing pretty well all things considered. He had a stroke, and when my mom took him to the ER in the next town over about an hour drive., they said they couldn’t find anything and maybe he had an infection and sent him home with antibiotics. Even though his right side wasn’t working he couldn’t walk, it was very swollen. When he hadn’t improved any my mom took him to Tucson, where yes, he had a stroke. He was admitted and went to rehab for a couple of weeks and is now home. It didn’t really affect his speech, mostly his right side is a bit weaker. He can walk short distances without any help, and his very beautiful penmanship is not as nice, but still better than most in my family. One of the drawbacks in living in a very rural area is access to healthcare.

One thing I find fun running in summer is how often my Garmin changes my VO2. The weather here is still a bit all over the place, some days sunny and hot and others cool in the morning, it greatly affects my numbers. It changes daily.

We have been pretty lucky really, in terms of heat. Just barely getting into the 90s and still in the 50s at night. And because AZ doesn’t do daylight saving the sun comes up really early so I have to get used to a very early wakeup call shortly.

My weight loss has completely stalled, I think I was doing a bit of stress eating and as my miles increase so does my appetite, and when I don’t plan I eat way too many snacks that are available at work, which is mostly stuff like goldfish, and fruit snacks, which don’t really fill me up.

I finally found some stuff- I found a cinch and strap that the semi’s use to tie down stuff, a pair of sunglasses, a door stop and a key chain. But my best find in a while is this camping chair- A Timber ridge in really good shape. (my parents have the same kind- they bought it at Costco)
timber.jpg

I haven’t seen that many snakes this year, but tons of lizards. Not very many rabbits either. But I did see a horny toad(which is actually a horned lizard...,.He was alive, though I wasn’t sure at first.

cnjmvs9a.png

Early morning clouds, it is nice to run when every once in a while, the clouds block the direct heat of the sun!
clouds.jpg

I am seriously doubting my sanity/ability/feasibility to train for a marathon mostly during the summer. It hasn’t even been that hot here yet. I don’t think we have broken 100. But the sunrise is at 5AM and it gets hot for running pretty quick. At least it is not humid. I can handle dry heat. I about died during the 2022 springtime surprise 10k. Then during this past marathon weekend, when they started warning about heat, I drank way too much and ended up having to stop for a bathroom break it felt like every other mile, when it didn’t seem nearly as hot as they had made it out to be. I’m doing a half on Sept 9th and then doing a full on Oct 22 in Albuquerque. I’m doing hanson’s training again, but doing the advanced First timer plan.

As regards weight loss, I think I was underestimating how many calories I was eating and snacking on too many nuts.

I found a dollar (and Trash)! And saw two more horny toads.
.dollar.jpg
And the wild turkeys, there is a group of at least eight. here is one in the tree
wild turkey.jpg
In the field across from the library where I work, there are cows and horses currently. I love it when there are animals there. This grey horse below, its hard to tell in this pic, but it has a Cruella de Vil tail, half white and half black.

horse cruella.jpg

I have booked my outward flight from el paso to MCO. Now just the way home is left to be booked.

My training plan for the Duke City marathon began Monday! I’m doing the Advanced first(2nd!) timer from Hanson’s. It looks like it is pretty like the from scratch plan I did for marathon weekend, which I enjoyed and felt good during the race, but with more mileage.

I was able to lose two more lbs. I haven’t found anything this past week.

I like reading running books, and finished Kilian Jornet’s “run or Die”. I hate to say it, but I didn’t like it. At times it was interesting, more like a diary. But it left out a lot of details, like dates of races, record times he was trying to beat, who was sponsoring him, why there was a random camera crew with him sometimes. I’m a few chapters into Deana’s Kastors book and it is a much more enjoyable. I already bought Jornet’s second book Above the clouds, hopefully it will be better.

I used to think I was tough regarding running in the heat. But it’s a “Dry heat” and I live in the country without much asphalt so the temperature still drops down into the low sixties overnight so as long as I get up early most days, I can get a run in with the T & D. around 100 to 115, unless its monsoon, but usually there are some breaks. I feel for those who run in humidity on the running thread I saw really tough runners with super high T & D over in the running thread. And even on the days when it gets higher, things like cooling buffs work so much better. During the 10k of Springtime surprise I thought I was going to keel over. My buff hardly worked at all.

The day I mentioned I hadn’t had any javelinas in my yard for months, they turned up in the middle of the night. They are really destructive, so I chase them off. My cats aren’t Door Dashers but as I was yelling at them, my most scaredy cat of all saw them and bolted out. It was like 3:30 in the morning so I knew I wouldn’t be able to find him in the night. Sun is up around 5, still couldn’t find. I went on my run and figured he would show up later. He did, but would freak out and hide anytime a car drove passed, someone was walking by. The house that is in disrepair next door, he was able to get in. Then of course the mean neighbor tom cat showed up and started yowling at him. But at least then I knew where he was finally shooed the Tom and caught the little turkey. That house is full of mold, I hope he doesn’t get sick. Here is the troublemaker with stolen merch as well.

Winchester.jpeg

Last edited:

I gave a lot of thought to the Hansons plans for my current build but the advanced seemed like too much for me right now. Excited to see how it goes for you!
It's not the regular advanced, it's the advanced first timer plan from their book "Hanson's First Marathon". I don't think it has as many miles/intensity as their regular advanced plan.

I used to really be into Legos. I at one time had all of the lord of the rings, hobbit sets, the monster fighter series (which was underrated) and the guardians of the galaxy. I started on the Harry potter line, but it was getting harder to find them on sale, and my cats destroyed Hogwarts. I have sold a lot of them since. Though I still have Orthanc in a box. so far I had resisted any of the Disney ones. But I am in love with the new castle, the up house and even the peter pan scene.
1687552785383.png
I like this one better than the 1st one they did and it is cheaper at 400.

1687552845723.png
SO cute! I love this movie.
1687552927455.png
I hope this is a start of a series of scenes , how delightful to have on a bookcase.

Well I finally saw my first live rattlesnake. I have hardly seen any snakes this year. So many lizards, though. I had to move a horny toad out of the road. I have seen 5 horny toads, which is a ton for me. I am seeing lots rabbits and jack rabbits. The rangers told me that at the beginnng of the summer there was a fever going thru the rabbits, so hopefully they are better.

I haven’t found much another 27 cents. Which brings me to 2.43, I think. My goal is to get enough to buy a cupcake during marathon weekend. Though my sisters hitch got stolen so the one I found was able to be put to use.

So far I have been able to keep up the training plan. It is finally hot and it’s a bit humid, the worst part of summer for me is right before the monsoons. It gets humid and then doesn’t rain and traps the heat in. This Saturday I have Ten miles, I think that will be the longest run I have ever done in the summer. Normally I don’t really follow a plan in summer, just maintance of like 15-20 easy miles a week. It hasn’t been as horrible as I feared. The hardest part is finding what to eat before running. Normally I eat an hour or so before I run, but since I have been trying to get out the door as early as possible, I don’t leave any time for digestings. Gels are also less appetizing in the heat.

I didn’t get into London. But now waiting to hear about Master’s tickets.vlnecr2i.png
Here is the medium size guy. He was just chillin. They blend in pretty well on the dirt roads.

Today I am feeling slightly discouraged. It was the first day, I really didn’t feel like running. I have been trying to diet and am increasing my weekly mileage, (I’m up to 38 which is a high water mark for me in the summer) I think I need to pick one or the other. I had no energy today. And the days before the monsoon actually starts are the worst for me. Normally the temp drops at night but while the monsoon takes it sweet time building it only gets to the low 70’s at night.

Before the pandemic, I and my sister’s family (She has five Kids!) would go to Disneyland every year. It was wonderful and fun. The days of MAXpass at Disneyland were Amazing! They haven’t been back since, and sadly (for me at least) I don’t see them going anytime soon. They feel the tickets are too high, and genie plus isn’t as good of a deal as MAXpass and since you can’t prebuy it anymore it would add about 175 a day if not more. They decided to go on a 7-day cruise instead. I still have a four-day ticket with genie plus included I bought before the last price hike, that it looks like once again I will be going alone. I don’t mind travelling alone, but I’m sad it seems to confirm the end of our tradition and feels like for a while.

And I was checking out the finishing results for the marathon I was thinking about doing in Aug in Albuquerque, and there was only about 100 finishers, surprising a wide range of times, but it would mostly mean there is a very high chance of running alone. I haven’t decided if I will do that one or not. There is a revel half in Sept in Salt lake, or the rock n roll half there in August I may do. My college roommate lives there now and it would be good to see.

I only found a penny since my last post. Did see two more dead rattlesnakes.

Well, I just actually looked at my calendar, and realized I have a conference call I have to attend in phoenix area, right before the marathon I wanted to run in Albuquerque. So best case scenario would I drive home Friday night 4 hours, and then leave Saturday morning on a five hour drive the day before the marathon. I wanted to do a fall marathon, but I didn't really want to have fly anywhere or drive more than 5 ish hours(and hopefully not the day right before.) So I could run the Tucson marathon on Dec 10, or there are a few after WDW. I'm not sure right now.

So I'm not sure. But this little guy gave me a sweet smile! Its so amazing how they just hang out buried for months and months until it rains and then make there grand appearance.
smile.jpg

And I think I will be in Disneyland over labor day to use up that ticket I bought last year. I got a Magicband +(its the 50 anniversary partners band from WDW, it was on sale) I love my tiana one, but it wouldn't work at Disneyland sadly.

Well, it’s been a minute since my last post. Blink and time goes so fast. I remember as a kid how long a month felt and now it happens in an instant.

I thought I had booked a trip to Disneyland for Labor Day, but apparently can’t read a calendar. It’s for the following weekend, but at least I will be there for when Tiana’s café is open.

Running has just been ok. I decided not to do the Tucson marathon, as it was less than 4 weeks before WDW, and downhill. I don’t want to compromise the fun to be had that weekend, if it wrecked me. There are a few marathons in the months following that are close to where I live. I resisted signing up for Springtime Surprise though I really love the themes.

I found some stuff, three wrenches (all surprisingly in good shape), copper of course, paw patrol figures, and 15 dollars and 20 pesos, and about 86 in change. I made my goal of finding enough money to buy a cupcake several times now!

I bought a Merida running costume off poshmark, I need to take a picture. Its super cute, people are so talented. And I want to buy a red sparkly visor. I keep meaning to learn to sew just to make my own costumes but haven’t yet. Now I need to decide my other one, I am leaning to Jack Skellington.

Here is a picture of someone who Cleary has not stress in his life, Hugo boss:

hugo boss.jpg

Running has not been great this week, but I'll ignore that as I am going to be at Disneyland tmrw! This trip really snuck up on me. California doesn't have as many sit down restaurants that I haven't tried,(just blue bayou I think, but the veggie option hasn't been tempting enough for a solo meal for me). So I sprung for the happiest haunts tour and a world of color dessert party. I did the WOC party before but I really like it. I did consider the oogie boogie bash, but was not committed enough when they released tickets, to snag one.i love the nightmare before Xmas haunted mansion. And it's supposed to be hot as well! In the nineties, which isn't really that bad for me, but hotter than I like to be at Disney. Here in the part of AZ where I live it has already got down to high 50s at night which is delightful for early morning runs.

Wow, I can’t believe how long it has been since I updated this. Disneyland was awesome as it always. Though I had one of those “I am old” moments. I forgot how much more intense the After dark version of Guardians breakout is and ended up getting sick. (not on the ride at least). It really is fun though; I just need to be mindful of how soon it is to when I eat. I was there the exact weekend of the new race weekend in Disneyland, and I went ahead and booked a hotel for that weekend and prices were way higher!

Training was going well, until another “I’m old” moment when I was moving furniture around and hurt my back. I missed about two weeks. I have a half this weekend for veterans’ day and I’m going to try to keep it to my easy pace, but it’s really hard to do that at a race. It’s a pretty small race. The weather has turned delightful for running! I love to run when it’s 45-55. I have been eating more before and during my runs, and it has made my long runs feel much easier. I finally found a food I can eat enough for breakfast- graham crackers, and sometimes juice.

It’s the beginning of Hunting season around here so prime time for finding stuff. I’ve found a really nice knife (I’ve found quite a few knives during my runs, never a gun though) and this really nice stroller. I left the stroller the first time I saw it because it was near a place where people go target shooting in the desert and I thought they may realize they lost it and come back. When it was still there the next time, I took it to work and posted it on Facebook. It disappeared. Poor people. Found some sunglasses and change normal stuff.

Watching the Wine and Dine weekend posts is making me excited for Marathon weekend!knife.jpg

Attachments

• stoleer.jpg
    stoleer.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 2
My race went well, I finished in 2:27:20, giving a good effort but not an “A” effort. I had meant to run it a bit easier. Though I have decided I hate driving in Phoenix enough I don’t think I will do any more small races there. The company is really good, and they do races both in Phoenix and Tucson, I will only do the Tucson ones. It only had 120 ish finishers, so I was alone most of the race. I fueled more than I even had in a race, and it really makes a difference. (in addition to eating a bigger breakfast). I have been eating more this training cycle, and my runs have felt easier. But its hard, I must be eating too much overall though as I have gained some of the few lbs. I had lost back. I have lost my heat tolerance already! Where I live in AZ is much cooler than Phx and the last few miles of the race were so hot.

I only found 33 cents this week, and someone stole my hose out of my yard! It is so annoying, the hose wasn’t even new, it had to be at least 5 years old. And I thought living next to peacocks was annoying. My other neighbors now have turkeyss and they gobble gobble all the time! That’s enough complaining.

I am getting excited for Marathon weekend! I decided not to make any dining reservation this time, just play it by ear. A few times last year I wanted to eat sooner or later or didn’t want to go into the park at that time.

I'm getting excited for Marathon weekend! Last year, since it was my first marathon I was more nervous than excited. And I have never been to Epcot with the walls down (first world trip was Springtime surprise 2022) and can't wait.
training going mostly well, this weekend I do ten miles on sat followed by 16. Then I signed up for a half marathon on the next Sunday, as it aligned with the 13 miles on the plan.

I found another knife, a flask and a Bose Bluetooth SoundCloud 2 speaker. It works great! Some hunter is probably very sad.
1701297096173.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter