Marathon Weekend 2018

Happy Sunday! I'm having Disney withdrawals as I just got back Friday night.

As always Sunday's are for Disney.

What new things at Disney are you most looking forward too? (Pandora, Star Wars, toy story, new dining, gondolas, new stuff at resorts, etc.)

My answer: I just got to experience Pandora and I loved it. The rides and land were just awesome! Now I like to look forward to whatever is next. Toy Story will open next year so that's what I'm looking forward to next.

Pandora and Tree of Life Awakening show :)

Hi friends - just finished my race.

2:33:51 :cool1:

Guess who achieved Dopey pot for the <5:30 corral? This kid!

Too bad I can't use this for Disneyland half weekend.

CONGRATS!!!!

As always Sunday's are for Disney.

What new things at Disney are you most looking forward too? (Pandora, Star Wars, toy story, new dining, gondolas, new stuff at resorts, etc.)

My answer: I just got to experience Pandora and I loved it. The rides and land were just awesome! Now I like to look forward to whatever is next. Toy Story will open next year so that's what I'm looking forward to next.

New stuff I'm looking forward to since our last visit in August of 2015: New movie on Soarin', Nomad Lounge in AK and Pandora.

Not super excited about FEA honestly. Skeptical about the gondolas. Ambivalent about Toy Story Land and Star Wars.

I am most looking forward to Star Wars land but excited to check out everything new at Animal Kingdom. Looking forward to seeing Pandora, Rivers of Light, and the Tree of Life's projection show. We are going for a day in September but not sure how much we will get done. I had planned on no parks while I am down there for Dopey but I am thinking about going there after the 5k on my own now!

I am most looking forward to Star Wars land but excited to check out everything new at Animal Kingdom. Looking forward to seeing Pandora, Rivers of Light, and the Tree of Life's projection show. We are going for a day in September but not sure how much we will get done. I had planned on no parks while I am down there for Dopey but I am thinking about going there after the 5k on my own now!

No parks during Dopey?!?! :eek::sad::sad2:

Say it isn't so!!

My experience is they rounded down. Had a 1:50:21 half POT for Darkside and was placed in A which had listed <= 1:50 as time required.
Unfortunately I've had the opposite experience. A couple years ago for Wine and Dine Corral A was listed at 1:48 and below. I submitted a 1:47:48 and was placed in corral B.

Is there a chart somewhere online that shows what marathon corral people are placed in based on there 10 mile or half marathon time?

All I can seem to find is corral placement based on projected finishing time.

I could use a forecasting calculator but I was hoping there was a chart somewhere based on people's actual proof of times submitted in prior years.

Trying to figure out what my goal time should be for my upcoming race.

This is unofficial based on the information runDisney provided next to the corral information:

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 3.56.05 PM.png

I used runDisney's estimated time next to the marathon and then calculated the 10 mile and HM from McMillan. This is a rough estimate based on the last two years. The actual 2018 corrals will be based on the people who run the 2018 version (both number of and their POT).

The green values are non-POT required corrals and are based purely (almost purely) on estimated finish time. I also believe that estimated finish time plays a role with POT as well though. If I qualify for B with a 3:30, but put my estimated finish time as a 4:30, I believe I would be placed in corral G. My POT justifies a B, but I'm telling them I'm running slower thus place me with people of a similar desired race day pace. The opposite is where issues come up. If I have a POT for corral G, but put an estimated finish time of corral B, then I'm likely to get flagged and may end up in corral P instead.

From what I gather RunDisney rounds up to the nearest minute (i.e., 2:33:51 or 2:33:02 is technically a 2:34 to RunDisney), then uses some version of a calculator similar to McMillan to extrapolate where you will be.

You want something less than 1:56:59 on a 10 miler and/or 2:35:59 on a half marathon to be in the 5:30 or less corral. Otherwise you can guestimate where you will be and put yourself in the 5:31 to 7 hour corrals.

It's really a crapshoot as to how they'll separate out corrals. It varies based upon the number of people participating and what times they submit... there could be smaller gaps or large gaps between projected times and participants.

My experience is they rounded down. Had a 1:50:21 half POT for Darkside and was placed in A which had listed <= 1:50 as time required.

Agree - at least for Dark Side - my proof of time was 2:15:07, and was placed in the 2:15 or less corral.

It's actually both and neither at the same time based on my guess. My understanding is it is a pure ranking system. All 20,000+ entires are filtered into a single ranking. They have predetermined cutoffs for corral sizing. A=500, B=1000, C=1000, etc. (just made up numbers by me here). Then they refer to the ranking and bam after 1-500 the cutoff for A is born. Then, 500-1500 is B. Etc. This is how sometimes people will have a rounded up and rounded down number based on the estimated finish time provided next to the corral numbers from Disney. Some people just missed the next corral or just snuck in by mere seconds one way or the other. At least, that's how I understand it. This is based on how the corrals themselves almost always seem to be round numbers of people. No way that happens randomly and strongly suggests a ranking system where some with a 1:50:xx go one way and others with 1:50:xx but slower go the other (even though the cutoff says 1:50). Now it gets even fuzzier with challenge runners and keeping their bib the same for multiple races which is where sometimes you may see people with a slightly lower number than cutoff but placed differently. All just a guess on my part though.

Edit - Found an error in the chart I made.

Last edited:
Most looking forward to Star Wars land, but I also really love Toy Story.

I'm not sure where we are eating before or after the marathon yet. I guess we better get thinking about it because it may take awhile for 4 women to decide! o_O

Well, y'all better make up your mind, soon, or I'll be throwing Buckeyes at you!

......................:lmao:

This is unofficial based on the information runDisney provided next to the corral information:

View attachment 242161

I used runDisney's estimated time next to the marathon and then calculated the 10 mile and HM from McMillan. This is a rough estimate based on the last two years. The actual 2018 corrals will be based on the people who run the 2018 version (both number of and their POT).

The green values are non-POT required corrals and are based purely (almost purely) on estimated finish time. I also believe that estimated finish time plays a role with POT as well though. If I qualify for B with a 3:30, but put my estimated finish time as a 4:30, I believe I would be placed in corral G. My POT justifies a B, but I'm telling them I'm running slower thus place me with people of a similar desired race day pace. The opposite is where issues come up. If I have a POT for corral G, but put an estimated finish time of corral B, then I'm likely to get flagged and may end up in corral P instead.

The math on this is so perplexing because it feels like it is ever-changing. Appreciate the work you put into this for us.

That said... a 2:24 looks much more achievable than a 2:22 for the next level of corral. That's only an additional 9 mins I have to shave off - so no pressure. :rotfl:

The math on this is so perplexing because it feels like it is ever-changing. Appreciate the work you put into this for us.

That said... a 2:24 looks much more achievable than a 2:22 for the next level of corral. That's only an additional 9 mins I have to shave off - so no pressure. :rotfl:

It's all based on the PoT that runners gave to Disney before the race. People's times are getting better, so the cutoffs are getting faster. The last thing rD wants us to have a cutoff be 4:00 and not changing, if everyone starts to have 3:40-4:00 time, then there's going to be a logjam at that corral.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
I'm most looking forward to staying at the Polynesian for the first time. Thanks also to @Waiting2goback for pointing me to a travel agent who had good rates. I was planning on booking Contempo, but she also had good rates for Poly, so we went for it. I'm also looking forward to Pandora and night time hours at my favorite park, AK!!

I need to start working out a plan for my ADRs, that will be on us in no time. I do know we are planning to eat at Victoria and Alberts to celebrate!!

I'm most looking forward to Star Wars Land! I know it's a long way out but I'm a big fan so nothing else can match the excitement of that for me :)

Thanks to the travel agent recommendation from @Waiting2goback I got my hotel reservation worked out too. I'll be staying at Port Orleans Riverside so their make your own pasta should work well for the night before the marathon. For after the race, I think we're just going to go to Epcot and eat quick service around the world. And I'm saving my fancy celebratory dinner for the day after the marathon since I'll hopefully be recovered and rested enough to enjoy it fully :) The plan is Victoria and Albert's since you only have your first marathon once!

I am glad you guys found a good deal and got something booked. It is so much less stressful, at least for me, knowing my room is booked. Now that JetBlue has opened up through 2/14 I will be watching rates like a hawk to book that too.

View attachment 242161

It's actually both and neither at the same time based on my guess. My understanding is it is a pure ranking system. All 20,000+ entires are filtered into a single ranking. They have predetermined cutoffs for corral sizing. A=500, B=1000, C=1000, etc. (just made up numbers by me here). Then they refer to the ranking and bam after 1-500 the cutoff for A is born. Then, 500-1500 is B. Etc. This is how sometimes people will have a rounded up and rounded down number based on the estimated finish time provided next to the corral numbers from Disney. Some people just missed the next corral or just snuck in by mere seconds one way or the other. At least, that's how I understand it. This is based on how the corrals themselves almost always seem to be round numbers of people. No way that happens randomly and strongly suggests a ranking system where some with a 1:50:xx go one way and others with 1:50:xx but slower go the other (even though the cutoff says 1:50). Now it gets even fuzzier with challenge runners and keeping their bib the same for multiple races which is where sometimes you may see people with a slightly lower number than cutoff but placed differently. All just a guess on my part though.
Thank you so much for doing this! That is a very detailed response and is very helpful.

Thank you so much for doing this! That is a very detailed response and is very helpful.

I believe this is how it goes:

-25,000+ runners sign up for marathon, goofy, or dopey. All of these entires are pooled together.
-Everyone is ranked by estimated finish time: 4 hrs or less, 4:10, 4:20, 4:30, 4:40, 4:50, 5:00, 5:10, 5:20 (these all require POT), then 5:30, 5:40, 5:50, etc. This is submitted at registration and can be changed up to Oct 3rd POT deadline
-Everyone with an estimated finish time of less than 5:30 has their POT standardized. Whether it is a 10 miler or HM, it is converted to a marathon estimate using McMillan. Since most people's race times are not linear based on the mcmillan race equivalency calculator, this is why running a 10 miler is usually the most advantageous.
-Once all POT have been standardized to marathon estimates, then within each estimated finish time block the runners POT are ranked from best to worst.
-At this point or sometime around this, runDisney may choose to use the link provided at registration to verify the authenticity of your POT. If verified, then nothing happens. If invalidated, then they may move you into the last corral.
-Now everyone is first sorted by estimated finish and then within finish is sorted by submitted POT. Now runDisney uses the predetermined cutoffs (A=500, B=1000, C=1000, F=2500, etc again made up) to seed the runners into these corrals. Hence, runner ranked #500 will be in corral A and runner #501 will be in corral B. Now whatever POT that separated runner #500 and 501 is then determined to be the "cutoff" for corral A. So if #500 was 3:20:04 and #501 was 3:20:05, then runDisney prints 3:20 as the cutoff for corral A.
-All runners without a POT and an estimated finish time less than 5:20 are now also seeded into corrals. But purely based on estimated finish time. Thus, this is why there is a glut of 5:30 marathoners. There isn't really that many people who can run a 5:30. Even someone who will run a 7:00 could put a 5:30 and be seeded in a faster corral. The corralling is meant to keep people of similar pacing together on the race course (or at least in the beginning, because well characters and rides to be ridden and all).

Now once the marathon is seeded, they go back and figure out the half marathon. They keep all of the goofy and dopey in their assigned marathon corrals. Then they backfill all the corrals with half marathoners. Then based on wherever the half marathoners fall as #500 and #501 is determined to be the cutoff for corral A of the HM.

One explanation for beating a corral cutoff and yet being placed behind it, might have to do with the estimated finish time. If you slightly undersold yourself, you might self seed yourself in a slower corral.

This is why each year is different in terms of the cutoff for an individual corral. It's based on the POT submitted by that pool of people, and by runDisney determining how many people they want in each corral. If they suddenly choose to have different corral sizing then the corral letter to POT may suddenly change. But the important part is to see how many people are in front and behind you when the corrals come out, not necessarily the letter. In the end, that's all that really matters when it comes to corral placement.

So there isn't any official one from runDisney but there might be one people on here have made based on other DIS members PoT. In generally, the forecasting calculator to use would be McMillan's as that has been the best estimate of how Disney will corral people based on PoT.

Thanks for this! Now I have a goal pace I need to get to in order to meet my goal time :)

Most looking forward to getting back to Animal Kingdom (bonus = Pandora). Didn't go to AK on our last few trips. I distinctly remember pooping out on my niece and nephew and taking a rest day by the pool with DH, while mom, sis, and the kids went to AK in summer of 2014-ish, b/c I still hear about how I left them in favor of the pool, umbrella drinks, and napping. (Plus, DH "needed a small break from the Mouse.")
Really miss riding Everest!! =)

I've also never seen the AKL, and I'm determined to get there this trip. I'm thinking about booking a dining ressie at one of the restaurants there, b/c they all seem to have rave reviews! My mom-in-law (who I'm traveling with for marathon weekend) is super easy-going, and she told me to book whatever ADRs I want, as she's "just along for the ride." =P That probably sounds great, but I'm someone who has a tough time with decisions when there are too many wonderful options. (First world problem, I know.) Feeling thankful to have such dilemmas.

I'm looking forward to seeing Happily Ever After this trip (hopefully one night after the races are over).

Booked at Beach Club last week (thanks, @Waiting2goback for the TA recommendation!) and booked my JetBlue flights this weekend! I'm going to start obsessing over ADRs this week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter